Gotway Tesla Impressions and Diary

14 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Then you can have a look at some other progressions gotway made...for example a thicker axle:

:innocent1:  Our prayers have been answered!   I knew if we kept wishing for it, it would come.   That plus fat wiring.  It's like Christmas already!  :w00t2:

Next on the list, App firmware updates!  Make it so!  :efef927839:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Second and worst: Instead of having this motor connectors on a place beside the batterys, or somewhere where the can NOT SHORT by touching each other......they managed to have them ALL together, AND directly above the board and metal heatsink!!!

Hmm, if I like the poster but I don't like the message then do I still down vote it, or is that sort of like shooting the bearer of bad news?

• Upvote 2

Before this review of the Tesla, I was uncertain whether Gotway would be able to recover their market position given the problems over the last year.  If I was CEO of Gotway, releasing the Tesla with the improvements that are being observed is exactly the move I would have made.  Even if they were very poorly prepared to respond in the short-term to the systemic problems of the last year, this is a sign that at least there is smart and strategic leadership at the top that recognizes what needs to change.  Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone could have known that prior to the Tesla. 

It really looks like the ideal 16" and when asked what the best overall wheel is, instead of saying 16S I think it's going to be the Telsa.  It gives me much more confidence that they're going to compete better by adopting a higher standard across their line in the future. 

I seriously considered the Tesla before buying my first EUC and probably would have if we'd had early reviews at that time.  If I was doing it all over again, I probably would have gone that route. 

I'm curious to know whether the Tesla can displace the KS18S as your primary wheel, KS69.  It almost sounds like you're cheating on your wife with a new girl.  :ph34r:

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Part 3,5 ;-)

@Marty Backe remembered me on some other things :-)

Yes, the outer glossy ring of the shell is not one part...and it is only kinda plugged on the downside!So chances that after a crash it becomes loose are great, and i am not very convinced by this method at all....

Than also: The Trolley :facepalm:

Yes, we have an integrared trolley now....but Sorry, this has so much downsides!

First, look at the side where it is sitting:

When you stay above the wheel it is sitting left on the handle...

For right handers (90% of planet) this is, when pulling it out, quirky...as you would exspect it more on the right side...

The idea is (i get it)...that for right handers the trolley then is more near to you, when trolleying the wheel with your right hand...as it would be even more worse...when it would be on the far away side. But bäääh....it is so unstable!!! This is -if at all- just perhaps 10% of the stability a Ks14/16 trolley gives you.

It is so thin and wobbly, that when going down even one stair with it, i fear it breaking off!

Also, they molded a kinda handle on top of the trolley, which makes it absolutely uncomfortable to have it in the hand....

Instead of this handle on top they should have choose a “grip mold” like on the v3....but, it is what it is...at least we have a trolley, and in the 2 days i kind of get used to it.

And to have one last disadvantage and to come back to the magnets: They are to weak!!!

Trolleying over a small bump, and the pedals clap down...nervbraking, and the pedals rattling the hole time when trolleying over uneven ground :-(

But thats it now, promised! If nobody gives me an idea to part 3,75...in the part 4 we will come to the best of this wheel...the Driving :-)

See you there.....

That's unfortunate about the trolley handle. What is it with Gotway, that they apparently don't know to to make a comfortable handle?  I love how stout and comfy the handle is on my KS14S.

I think prefer the Gotway pedals to the KingSong pedals. Every time I put the pedals down on my KS14S I swear a little - they really are too stiff. On my Mten3 I can flick them with my foot to put them down.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Brian Morris said:

Tell me how the holy hell you ride all that battery out.  I run the tesla 80% to 20% in one run and my feet are done

I have no problems going for a 45+ mile ride. I consider the Tesla battery size to be barely acceptable for high performance wheel. And when you have a fast and powerful wheel you want to ride it hard. That's going to consume lots more power than a slow and pokey wheel like the KS16 ;)

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

<snip>

Finally, finally Gotway has managed to come back to a real rock hard pedal setting with no play at all!(which i last saw on the Mcm2s)!

I allready heard that before, that they have a kind of new firmware on their new wheels, and hoped that this  includes the Tesla, and was highly rewarded for my trust to but a Gotway again(despite all hardware failures, which i really hate).

<snip>

Very interesting observations @KingSong69. Thanks. :thumbup:

Just out of idle curiosity, did you try all three ride modes. Is Soft still soft like the V3. I do enjoy riding my wheels in soft mode sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The ideal 16-inch wheel has more than a 1040wh battery, IMHO.

That's why I'm waiting for the Tesla V2.

I have a hard time seeing anything competing with the Tesla on the horizon.  If I had to vote for most "future proof" wheel available right now, I'd say Tesla.  I feel Gotway has shown awareness they have a lot riding on this release and are going to get a much needed win. 

I'm curious what change they'd have to make to the shell to make it compatible with a larger battery.  I feel for you guys who like larger batteries because I fear we may actually be seeing a swing in the opposite direction after a long, slow move towards more capacity. 

I said in the Ninebot thread that I feel it was a mistake not to have made the Z6 a 16" wheel with a 3" wide tire.  I don't see anything competing with this in the next year, but we'll see. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very interesting observations @KingSong69. Thanks. :thumbup:

Just out of idle curiosity, did you try all three ride modes. Is Soft still soft like the V3. I do enjoy riding my wheels in soft mode sometimes.

Nope, not yet...will do for you tomorrow and report....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

For the question if this will displace my Ks18s...Nope! Never! Today is 3rd day...and i allready totally miss the opportunity to sit down, also to hear music while commuting! Nope! The 18S is still the much better, more adult, grown up wheel ;-)

I'm very happy to hear you say that.  B)

59 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Things to still have in mind:

While i like that Tesla...Gotway still isnt there ! As we have read on another thread, GW mosfets fail 3-5% or more, the percentage for the Tesla still has to be seen. While literally the hole world did not see ONE fail of the better Mosfets Kingsong is using!

As long as THIS is not adressed by Hotway...they in my opinion still have a problem!

Unfortunatly the “normal” user of EUC has not in mind how important good boards/hardware are...thats the only luck GW has at the time!

For the question if this will displace my Ks18s...Nope! Never! Today is 3rd day...and i allready totally miss the opportunity to sit down, also to hear music while commuting! Nope! The 18S is still the much better, more adult, grown up wheel ;-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you haven't experienced the joys of riding a Monster. The Monster is the true, Adult, Grown-up, wheel :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The Egg has landed.  :w00t2:

402283_img3478.jpg

First impression is that it looks like a very nice wheel.  Sadly the GW emblems are scuffed up already from the grip tape.

Congratulations. You must be very excited. And to think you now own probably the most powerful EUC on the planet.  Ninebot to Tesla.  Now that's how to upgrade.

• Like 1