First cycle - Charger question

Charlie Nordlund

Hey everyone!

I just got my hands on a very lightly used piece of EUC for practically nothing in the form of a Sologear G15-40T, which I have gathered isn't much of a brand anyone uses. 

It's a 14" wheel with a 350w motor and 348wh samsung battery that should suffice for a starter wheel and learning the ropes if nothing else.

The snag however is that this piece came without a charger, lost in the time it has stood unused. I've tried to scour the internet for any information on what they use, but so far even contacting the company has been without answer (they don't seem very active). The unit works to drive with and looks very clean, so it's just the charger holding me back after the 80% currently in it runs out.

My question is if there is any way to determine the charger used just on the specifications of the unit itself, or say just the battery used?   Or will the output of the charger differ from brand to brand?

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

9 minutes ago, Charlie Nordlund said:

Hey everyone!

I just got my hands on a very lightly used piece of EUC for practically nothing in the form of a Sologear G15-40T, which I have gathered isn't much of a brand anyone uses. 

It's a 14" wheel with a 350w motor and 348wh samsung battery that should suffice for a starter wheel and learning the ropes if nothing else.

The snag however is that this piece came without a charger, lost in the time it has stood unused. I've tried to scour the internet for any information on what they use, but so far even contacting the company has been without answer (they don't seem very active). The unit works to drive with and looks very clean, so it's just the charger holding me back after the 80% currently in it runs out.

My question is if there is any way to determine the charger used just on the specifications of the unit itself, or say just the battery used?   Or will the output of the charger differ from brand to brand?

Kind regards

Chargers are quite the same for all wheels. The differences are:

- the maximum voltage / cell count ( in serial). Yours uses most likely a 16 cell in serie battery pack (67,2V charger). Imho just ninebot used 15 cells? Theoretically there also exist 20 cell unicycles (84V) - but thats just the modern powerfull brand eucs.

- the used connector and how the pins are used.

it is quite likely that you can use some gotway/kingsong charger or order some cheap ones from aliexpress or similar, once you know your voltage and connector.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Nordlund said:

Hey everyone!

Kind regards

The fact that you have a 348wh wh battery says to me that you have a 67,2 Volt battery and Need this charger Voltage....also it is important that you have the correct Charge plug, while for 67,2 Volt mainly a Standard 3 pin called GX16-3 is used...

9 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

The fact that you have a 348wh wh battery says to me that you have a 67,2 Volt battery

What configuration would that be? I can't get to that number. Closest is 16S2P with 2900mAh (344Wh).

Here's another "Sologear" which apparently is 60V (14P? 15P?).

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sologear-sologear-350-watt-self-balancing-electric-unicycle-g3-15-black-g3-15-black/10362622.aspx

(lol @ the price:efee612b4b:)

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What configuration would that be? I can't get to that number. Closest is 16S2P with 2900mAh (344Wh).

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sologear-sologear-350-watt-self-balancing-electric-unicycle-g3-15-black-g3-15-black/10362622.aspx

60 Volt is the nominal for a wheel that fully loaded is 67,2 wheel!

Correct math would be 59,2(16*3,7V) x 2900....but most Company use rounded 60Volt in math x 2900mah = 174wh * 2 = 348wh ;-)

So in fact it is a nominal 59,2Volt(rounded 60V) with a max of 67,2Volt....

btw: 84Volt are no 84 Volt wheels(thats just max voltage...they are nominal 72/74Volt, depending it is a 3,6/3,7 Volt Cell

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

To me it seems 348Wh / 2 = 174Wh packs, so most likely 16S2P 2900mAh cells. Most manufacturers use 60V to calculate the watthours for 16S packs (60V * 2.9Ah = 174Wh). 

Of course best to check the pinout of the charge port, although it seems most (if not all) manufacturers use the same pinout, sticking a charger that's "the wrong way around" there won't do nice things to the charger or the batteries.

It is better the battery voltage to be checked. If it is above 60V, the charger most probably must be 67V, if it is around 55V, the charger must be 63V. The battery is almost depleted now.

But if the voltage is below 50V, it is possible lower voltage battery to be used, as hoverboards

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

(lol @ the price:efee612b4b:)

Taking a picture of the charger port actually made me look at the little paddle-note that I previously thought was only safety-information and there it actually states 60v it seems.

DSC_0101.png

DSC_0102.png

Just now, Ch.Eng.62 said:

It is better the battery voltage to be checked. If it is above 60V, the charger most probably must be 67V, if it is around 55V, the charger must be 63V. The battery is almost depleted now.

But if the voltage is below 50V, it is possible lower voltage battery to be used, as hoverboards

that's not correct...55Volt can be also a 67Volt wheel....55Volt on my 67Volt wheel is around 30%load.

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thanks, guys!

So any Ninebot or Kingsong 67.2V standard charger would work (assuming they use the same standard connector).

I guess you meant Gotway or Kingsong? Or does Ninebot use 16S packs in the newer models (S2 and whatnot?)... anyway, yeah, good chance that "normal" 67.2V Gotway/KS/generic charger will work, although I'd still check that the pins are correct just to be safe. If the BMS has no reverse protection, it's enough to check the voltage from the pins with a multimeter (>70V DC voltage range), otherwise the wheel needs to be dismantled enough to see the wiring.

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hmm, the story takes a turn.

Is 60V just nominal and we can expect 67.2V, or something strange going on?

On the bestbuy page I linked, it states the other wheel (not this model) uses 2.2mAh cells.

It's the G15-40T, see the sticker in the image. Fairly sure it's 67.2V (16S) maximum voltage packs, most manufacturers sell them as 60V (nominal voltage, although correct value would be either 57.6V or 59.2V, depending whether the actual cell nominal voltage is 3.6V or 3.7V).

G3-30 G6-15 G15-40T

Scope of a charge 30-35 kilometers 15-20 kilometers 34-40 kilometers
Battery size and type 263 wh (Sony) 132 wh (Samsung) 348 wh (Samsung)
Charging 1.5 hours 1 hour 2.5 hours
Tire dimensions 14 inches / 360 mm 14 inches / 360 mm 14 inches / 360 mm
Engine 350 W 350 W 350 W
Wheel size N / A N / A N / A
Max weight (person) 120 kilos 120 kilos 120 kilos
Top speed 18 km / h 18 km / h 18 km / h
Pedal height from the ground 112 mm 110 mm 112 mm

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hmm, the story takes a turn.

Is 60V just nominal and we can expect 67.2V, or something strange going on?

On the bestbuy page I linked, it states the other wheel (not this model) uses 2.2mAh cells.

Actually i know no wheel except Ninebot(15S) and the very first Solowheel with LiFePo4 Cells that uses anything other than 16S Systems. (in the past..)

60Volt is what most chinese companys use for nominal of 67,2 Volt.

40 minutes ago, Charlie Nordlund said:

Hey everyone!

Kind regards

Contact Jason at ewheels. He can help, and has chargers for sale. 

Ok: what's the charge port? 12mm or 16mm?

Then my plan recommendation is:

• Get standard 67.2V charger with this port.
  • If you're lucky, it will work.
  • If you're even more lucky, it fries the wheel, and you can get a better one:efeebb3acc: (Though it does not seem so bad, quite the big battery, and 18 km/h. If nothing else is wrong, very respectable for a generic!)

@Charlie Nordlund: Since you're in Sweden, and the company from whose website I picked the specs also seems to have Swedish pages, maybe you could ask them if they sell the charger separately? That way you won't need to second guess if it's the correct one:  https://www.komplett.se/product/850518#

The charger in pictures and the charge port in your photo look like standard GX16-3, so most likely it's the most common 67.2V charger and pinout, but it's impossible to say for sure just based on pictures of the connectors.

6 minutes ago, esaj said:

@Charlie Nordlund: Since you're in Sweden, and the company from whose website I picked the specs also seems to have Swedish pages, maybe you could ask them if they sell the charger separately? That way you won't need to second guess if it's the correct one:  https://www.komplett.se/product/850518#

I actually work for the company in question, and internal conversation and prodding didn't yield much as the product is discontinued :)

@meepmeepmayer

It's def. 12mm from what I gather, is that the standard? Or it is if I measure the inside, maybe that's wrong?

If so I'll take my aim at a 67.2V 2A charger.

The price for this wheel new would have set me back 1000$ and was able to get it for a lot less than that :)

GPX 12-3 (12mm 3 pins) [edit: this may be wrong, see below] 67.2V charger is what you need then. You can get generics on Aliexpress (a bit of a wait time until you can charge again, though:efee8319ab:).

I don't know about the standard Gotway/Kingsong 67V chargers, but I'd guess they're the same (someone correct me if not!) and you could use one.

I also don't know if there are different pin configurations with these and you have to be careful. Probably not, but who knows...

14 minutes ago, Charlie Nordlund said:

I actually work for the company in question, and internal conversation and prodding didn't yield much as the product is discontinued :)

@meepmeepmayer

It's def. 12mm from what I gather, is that the standard? Or it is if I measure the inside, maybe that's wrong?

If so I'll take my aim at a 67.2V 2A charger.

The price for this wheel new would have set me back 1000$ and was able to get it for a lot less than that :)

GX16-3:

3_Pin_Male_amp_Female_Diameter_16mm_Wire

GX12-3:  Whoops, the pictures actually show a GX12-2 (2 pins), but the dimensions should be otherwise the same

08-139457798.jpg

The "more or less" standard 67.2V -chargers use GX16-3, and at least Kingsongs and Gotways (the 16S / 67.2V models, not the 20S / 84V models) seem to be pin-compatible with each other. Most so-called "generics" (less known manufacturers) usually seem to also use the same pin out and GX16-3, but like said, there are no guarantees. If you have access to a multimeter and know how to use one, you can try to (carefully!) check if there's voltage present at the charging socket to see which pin is plus and which minus (the third pin is usually unconnected). Many batteries have a BMS (Battery Management System) -board that has so-called "reverse protection" and you won't get any reading.

I wrote some generic info and tips on working with the batteries some time, maybe it could help:  

Archived