i am seriously considering it!

15 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

I plan on getting a used motor cross helmet snd some knee protectors elbow and wristguards and i dont want to go out into official retailer they expencive and when i buy tesla i will have very little money left.. Any recomendations??

I'd just get a $15 skateboard helmet and leave it at that. I crashed a ton of times, had to be 50 falls and a few much bigger ones, on my slow Inmotion V5F, and didn't hurt myself.

Now if you've learned to ride the Tesla, and start going pretty fast, then yes you're probably going to need motorcycle levels of protection, but for just learning I'd say the big concern is falling backwards onto the back of your head.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I'd just get a $15 skateboard helmet and leave it at that. I crashed a ton of times, had to be 50 falls and a few much bigger ones, on my slow Inmotion V5F, and didn't hurt myself.

Now if you've learned to ride the Tesla, and start going pretty fast, then yes you're probably going to need motorcycle levels of protection, but for just learning I'd say the big concern is falling backwards onto the back of your head.

ok i already have a bike helmet 

i havent even gotten a euc yet so.. Im just wondering and guessing and i want to be ready for when i can buy it

there i nothing worse than getting something and then you cant use it

i find 18kmh veeery slow and i like speed a lot so i will probably at some point attempt to drive 40kmh+ there i need a motor cross hemet  (i dont want motor bike helmet with visor *ugly*) 

but for fall protection at 40 kmh is normal skating knee pad wrist guard and elbow pad enough?

2 hours ago, Shad0z said:

but for fall protection at 40 kmh is normal skating knee pad wrist guard and elbow pad enough?

While suiting up like a racing superbiker is ideal for safety, I personally will not do that. 

For one, its troublesome. For another, nobody around my place does that. Lastly, EUCing is for fun, so basic protection for me and its a go! I've done inline speedskating in the past, so I feel safe enough to just wear the standard issue - helmet, wrist guard, elbow guard and knee guard - while going at 50 kph. Of course, I'll have to accept the fact I may get multiple abrasions on the skin, but that's the trade-off for not wearing the combersome track suits in a hot equatorial country under the burning sun. Long sleeved shirt & jeans can minimize abrasions, if one chooses so. Track suits are the ultimate but no guarantee you're free from fractures either.

Ultimately, its a decision we ourselves have to make.

4 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

While suiting up like a racing superbiker is ideal for safety, I personally will not do that. 

For one, its troublesome. For another, nobody around my place does that. Lastly, EUCing is for fun, so basic protection for me and its a go! I've done inline speedskating in the past, so I feel safe enough to just wear the standard issue - helmet, wrist guard, elbow guard and knee guard - while going at 50 kph. Of course, I'll have to accept the fact I may get multiple abrasions on the skin, but that's the trade-off for not wearing the combersome track suits in a hot equatorial country under the burning sun. Long sleeved shirt & jeans can minimize abrasions, if one chooses so. Track suits are the ultimate but no guarantee you're free from fractures either.

Ultimately, its a decision we ourselves have to make.

I occasionally wear these kevlar jeans. The knees have CE rated armor, and fit very firmly because they have stretch panels behind the knees. In addition, they have hip armor. While these jeans are ludicrously heavy, they can be put on same as normal, and still provide about the same protection as @Marty Backe knee armor but with the added bonus of abrasion resistance. They look utterly normal.

ScorpionExo Covert Jeans Men's Reinforced Motorcycle Pants (Black, Size 34) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QG8RS78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dZqdAbNHKFJMF

I occasionally wear these kevlar jeans. The knees have CE rated armor, and fit very firmly because they have stretch panels behind the knees. In addition, they have hip armor. While these jeans are ludicrously heavy, they can be put on same as normal, and still provide about the same protection as @Marty Backe knee armor but with the added bonus of abrasion resistance. They look utterly normal.

ScorpionExo Covert Jeans Men's Reinforced Motorcycle Pants (Black, Size 34) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QG8RS78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dZqdAbNHKFJMF

I doubt that it offers the same protection. It's certainly good for abrasion, by my knee-pads offer impact protection which I want.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I doubt that it offers the same protection. It's certainly good for abrasion, by my knee-pads offer impact protection which I want.

but if i got in a skating shop bought some ordinary knee pds with hard platic will that be enough for 40kmh+

58 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

but if i got in a skating shop bought some ordinary knee pds with hard platic will that be enough for 40kmh+

Yes, I think that would probably work fine. Of course, hopefully you will never need to use it.

45 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

what range would you say the 850wh model of the tesla average range on a charge would be?

~30 miles

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, I think that would probably work fine. Of course, hopefully you will never need to use it.

~30 miles

so you would only have an hour on it if you drove very high speed all the way but then you would also get as far a 40 km wich is pretty far

4 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

so you would only have an hour on it if you drove very high speed all the way but then you would also get as far a 40 km wich is pretty far

If you actually rode the wheel at it's highest speed continuously, yeah, I guess an hour. That's not realistic. I think your average speed (unless you're racing) will be closer to ~30 km/h

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you actually rode the wheel at it's highest speed continuously, yeah, I guess an hour. That's not realistic. I think your average speed (unless you're racing) will be closer to ~30 km/h

ok but i am in a very harsh money situation so i am stuck between 1020wh model and the 850wh  i want the 1020wh better safe than sorry what if the 850wh battery isnt enough and another thing is the sellers i can find on aliexpress all have 40 dollar 47 days shipping... :( but there is one seller who has 7-14 days but there is one peice of feedback on his page with one guy who never got it and had to fight hard to get his money back for 2 months 

6 hours ago, Shad0z said:

ok but i am in a very harsh money situation so i am stuck between 1020wh model and the 850wh  i want the 1020wh better safe than sorry what if the 850wh battery isnt enough and another thing is the sellers i can find on aliexpress all have 40 dollar 47 days shipping... :( but there is one seller who has 7-14 days but there is one peice of feedback on his page with one guy who never got it and had to fight hard to get his money back for 2 months 

I've had great long lasting fun on my original ACM and MSuper, both of which had 820wh batteries. Unless you absolutely need the extra ~7 mile range of the 1020wh Tesla, you will be very happy with the 850wh version. If you don't ride the wheel super fast all the time you can probably get at least 30 miles from the 820wh version.

I'm sorry, but I can't offer you any advice regarding where to buy it.

50 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've had great long lasting fun on my original ACM and MSuper, both of which had 820wh batteries. Unless you absolutely need the extra ~7 mile range of the 1020wh Tesla, you will be very happy with the 850wh version. If you don't ride the wheel super fast all the time you can probably get at least 30 miles from the 820wh version.

I'm sorry, but I can't offer you any advice regarding where to buy it.

ok good i will buy the 850wh  in term of money the 850wh is much better than 1020wh about 1 month of extra work and more stuff sold so i will go for the 850wh

its not that i need to drive really far but i still dont like to run out of battery often i want to just charge it and then forget about that part and another thing what about charging time i have seen some places saying 7 hours! some other places saying 2what kind charger did you get with yours?

20 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

ok good i will buy the 850wh  in term of money the 850wh is much better than 1020wh about 1 month of extra work and more stuff sold so i will go for the 850wh

its not that i need to drive really far but i still dont like to run out of battery often i want to just charge it and then forget about that part and another thing what about charging time i have seen some places saying 7 hours! some other places saying 2what kind charger did you get with yours?

I think you will get a lot of enjoyment with that wheel.

I mostly use the standard charger, which can take a long time to charge (I usually charge it overnight, so I don't care). My Monster takes 20 hours!

But I do have a 5 amp faster charger that could fully charge your Tesla in less than 2 hours. But they cost a lot of money. If you do get a fast charger, because relatively small battery wires inside the wheel, I would not exceed 4 amps, and I usually select 3 amps.

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think you will get a lot of enjoyment with that wheel.

I mostly use the standard charger, which can take a long time to charge (I usually charge it overnight, so I don't care). My Monster takes 20 hours!

But I do have a 5 amp faster charger that could fully charge your Tesla in less than 2 hours. But they cost a lot of money. If you do get a fast charger, because relatively small battery wires inside the wheel, I would not exceed 4 amps, and I usually select 3 amps.

ok good overnight charging is also very easy  you forget about because yeah... youre asleep everything sounds good so far about the tesla but there is one thing i need. . . money :unsure:

12 hours ago, Shad0z said:

I read an article some years back on various impact choices. I don't have the article but it was in regards to CE 2000 or some similar sounding accredition.

Basically, armor works by spreading the impact around, and so a thin hard plastic armor isn't very useful because it still allows most of the energy to focus on a single point.

Thin foam seemed to work better as there was some give, but did not give as much as crush-once polysterene.

Thick foam, they called it memory foamed, worked great in most situation as it worked to spread the impact all around. Think catcher's mitt.

Even better was a very thin soft plastic on top of the memory foam that could stop sharp things from penetrating yet (and this is important) deform enough so the energy isn't on some tiny point.

A lot of the protection you see on Amazon or elsewhere looks really cool but it isn't very good for diverting the energy away from you. Huge hulking hard bits of plastic with a thin foam padding might give you a Road Warrior mystique but it isn't much effective beyond abrasion resistance. In fact, if the foam is too springy it could increase the damage to your body as it would instantly spring back while you're still moving towards the impact site, rather like a superball bouncing.

You kinda need the thick memory foam stuff, if you pinch it between your fingers the stuff compresses slowly and springs back even slower (on the order of minutes).

So if you're walking through a store what are you really looking for?

--It's gotta be thick soft foam.

--It pinches slowly and springs back even slower.

--It could have a thin covering of soft plastic/kevlar or something that is both abrasion resistant and puncture resistant.

--It should have no indentations or cutouts of any sort; it should just be a big curved slab of multi-layered foam. Be mindful that the hard edges of plastic can cut you so a defining feature of well shaped armor is that is curves away from you and stops before the foam backing does.

--The clothing it goes into goes should have stretch panels. Buckles alone would not have enough friction to keep the armor from moving when it hits the ground.

Interestingly, my jeans meet all these requirements, which of course is why I bought these jeans in the first place.

However, you should be able to walk into your skate shop and based on this information probably eliminate 90% of armor as being just junk, and be able to get the properly protective stuff.

I read an article some years back on various impact choices. I don't have the article but it was in regards to CE 2000 or some similar sounding accredition.

Basically, armor works by spreading the impact around, and so a thin hard plastic armor isn't very useful because it still allows most of the energy to focus on a single point.

Thin foam seemed to work better as there was some give, but did not give as much as crush-once polysterene.

Thick foam, they called it memory foamed, worked great in most situation as it worked to spread the impact all around. Think catcher's mitt.

Even better was a very thin soft plastic on top of the memory foam that could stop sharp things from penetrating yet (and this is important) deform enough so the energy isn't on some tiny point.

A lot of the protection you see on Amazon or elsewhere looks really cool but it isn't very good for diverting the energy away from you. Huge hulking hard bits of plastic with a thin foam padding might give you a Road Warrior mystique but it isn't much effective beyond abrasion resistance. In fact, if the foam is too springy it could increase the damage to your body as it would instantly spring back while you're still moving towards the impact site, rather like a superball bouncing.

You kinda need the thick memory foam stuff, if you pinch it between your fingers the stuff compresses slowly and springs back even slower (on the order of minutes).

So if you're walking through a store what are you really looking for?

--It's gotta be thick soft foam.

--It pinches slowly and springs back even slower.

--It could have a thin covering of soft plastic/kevlar or something that is both abrasion resistant and puncture resistant.

--It should have no indentations or cutouts of any sort; it should just be a big curved slab of multi-layered foam. Be mindful that the hard edges of plastic can cut you so a defining feature of well shaped armor is that is curves away from you and stops before the foam backing does.

--The clothing it goes into goes should have stretch panels. Buckles alone would not have enough friction to keep the armor from moving when it hits the ground.

Interestingly, my jeans meet all these requirements, which of course is why I bought these jeans in the first place.

However, you should be able to walk into your skate shop and based on this information probably eliminate 90% of armor as being just junk, and be able to get the properly protective stuff.

thank you for sharing all of this info iw ill definetly look for that ;)

4 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

thank you for sharing all of this info iw ill definetly look for that ;)

You should still be very skeptical of what I posted because the information is years out of date and I'm going purely from memory. You should always be asking, "does that make sense?" "What are other people's opinions?" "Are statements supported by verifiable facts?"

"Is he on drugs?" "How is he not in jail by now doing all these under-aged females?" "What is this obsession with "clubbed seals?"" "Who was this lady that is the root of all evil to have made someone this misogynistic?" "Where did he stash @Dingfelder's body?"

Are a few on my short list.  :whistling:

11 hours ago, LanghamP said:

You should still be very skeptical of what I posted because the information is years out of date and I'm going purely from memory. You should always be asking, "does that make sense?" "What are other people's opinions?" "Are statements supported by verifiable facts?"

thats how i think i dont take anything for granted i alsways see waht makes sense and not and more information just helps 

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

"Is he on drugs?" "How is he not in jail by now doing all these under-aged females?" "What is this obsession with "clubbed seals?"" "Who was this lady that is the root of all evil to have made someone this misogynistic?" "Where did he stash @Dingfelder's body?"

Are a few on my short list.  :whistling:

????? what are you talking about???? 

i think this is a euc community. . .

correct me if im wrong. . . 

Archived