The Smoother Houselold, has a new arrival

Smoother

I'm pleased to announce that doctor DPD delivered a healthy 15kilo baby eh,... Wheel today.  It enjoyed its first meal of a selection of amps, and volts, and now It's resting peacefully in its crib, while the rain falls gently, but persistently through the cold night air..

the parents haven't decided on a name yet, so for now there just going to call it ks16s 840.  But they're both mystified why it's black ?

I just took the new baby out for a (st)roll.  

WOW! What a machine!  ? It's like a sporty Cadillac ( medium pedal stiffness mode). Its like meeting an old friend who I have never known; fantastically familiar and comfortable but previously un experienced.  Had the front and back lights set to flashing (for max visibility) and FOR THE FIRST TIME rode almost the entire trip on public roads with the vehicles.  Before now on my 14c I have mostly kept to the sidewalks, due to lower overall safe cruising speed.

my first time riding in medium mode.  I like it.  The recent thread on riding modes peeked my curiosity.  Always learning.

its like I have started EUCing for the first time, but this time I already know how to do it.  It's already BRILLIANT FUN!   I'M BORN AGAIN! Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

oh FYI.  was passed by a cop car while riding in street and on sidewalks: Not interested.  ?

41 minutes ago, Smoother said:

my first time riding in medium mode.  I like it.

But you know that the full power and acceleration is only revealed in hard Settings? ;-)

Congrats! The KS "S" series are really fantastic powerfull and smooth to ride!

8 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

But you know that the full power and acceleration is only revealed in hard Settings? ;-)

Congrats! The KS "S" series are really fantastic powerfull and smooth to ride!

Thanks.  All in good time.  I'm trying to see if medium mode is a more comfortable way to cruise around.  Little unseen dips and bumps are the things that throw me off, the most.  If medium can mitigate some of the severity, I'm all for it.

It was interesting to discove that I can change mode while riding.  Well, while moving slowly in the house.  It's an interesting sensation, especially if you switch when reversing direction.  You can actually feel the pedals change angle as they stiffen or loosen up.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Thanks.  All in good time.  I'm trying to see if medium mode is a more comfortable way to cruise around.  Little unseen dips and bumps are the things that throw me off, the most.  If medium can mitigate some of the severity, I'm all for it.

imwas inter std to discove that I can change mode while riding.  Well, while moving slowly in the house.  It's an interesting sensation, especially if you switch when reversing direction.  You can actually feel the pedals change angle as they stiffen or loosen up.

I didn't realize that the modes can be switched while the wheel is in motion. I'll have to try that with my wheels - it would be a nice option not having to get off the wheel to change.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I didn't realize that the modes can be switched while the wheel is in motion. I'll have to try that with my wheels - it would be a nice option not having to get off the wheel to change.

OMG, I taught Marty "the wheel God" something. This is a big day for me.  ?  

Went for a night ride complete with flashing front and rear lights.  My my does that front light flash quickly.  It's actually a strobe.  I wouldn't mind except that at least three people dropped to the ground in full blown epileptic fits.  Oh well, at least they didn't walk in front of me while updating their Facetube accounts. ??

No one actually had a fit, as far as I know..  But hey! It could happen.

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

Be advised that on medium setting the KS16s at slow speeds will catch onto obstacles for a split-second. For example, if you're slowing down to make a turn into a driveway, and there's a tiny uplip to go over, you might get dumped until you learn to let the wheel drag behind you and it catches up.

The hard setting doesn't do this, but the hard setting is vastly less energy efficient.

13 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Be advised that on medium setting the KS16s at slow speeds will catch onto obstacles for a split-second. For example, if you're slowing down to make a turn into a driveway, and there's a tiny uplip to go over, you might get dumped until you learn to let the wheel drag behind you and it catches up.

The hard setting doesn't do this, but the hard setting is vastly less energy efficient.

That's good to know.  Thanks. How does the hard setting use more energy, more powerful surges over obstacles?

49 minutes ago, Smoother said:

That's good to know.  Thanks. How does the hard setting use more energy, more powerful surges over obstacles?

Rather than just allowing the pedals to move a little as a result of a bump in hard mode the wheel aggressively powers the motor to push it back under you to maintain the stationary pedal. Lots of small blips of fast (power consuming) acceleration. The result is the motor works harder and consumes more power. A softer mode means it doesn't try so hard and any acceleration to flatten the pedal can be softer.  

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Only on the newer KS....not on GW...(afaik)

9 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Only on the newer KS....not on GW...(afaik)

Did you try on the Tesla? Even when going really slow?

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I haven't tested this, maybe tomorrow, but it sounds to me a bit of a toss up (future pun intended).

Medium or soft setting, wheel lags slightly over obstacles.  

On hard setting, Wheel surges hard over obstacles.

So one gives you notice by lagging, and one shunts you , violently sometimes, upwards or downwards, as it surges to traverse an irregularity with no loss of speed.  Seems to me the latter has tossed me off ( there's the pun btw) quite a few times.  I'm willing to give, the former a try.

i may try rolling over a known, but not threatening, obstacle, blind, and see which mode gives me less grief. 

Stay tuned.

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I haven't tested this, maybe tomorrow, but it sounds to me a bit of a toss up (future pun intended).

Medium or soft setting, wheel lags slightly over obstacles.  

Wheel surges hard over obstacles, on hard setting.  

So one gives you notice by lagging, and one shunts you , violently sometimes, upwards or downwards, as it surges to traverse an irregularity with no loss of speed.  Seems to me the latter has tossed me off ( there's the pun btw) quite a few times.  I'm willing to give, the former a try.

i may try rolling over a known, but not threatening, obstacle, blind, and see which mode gives me less grief. 

Stay tuned.

The  harder the wheel setting and so less movement the wheel allows on the pedals, more energy/power is needed to achieve that....but perhaps thats a discussion for another thread (even if it allready was quite often:-) )

Archived