Gyro switchblade sizing

I just got my Gyro Switchblade, and since I never wore that kind of helmet I have some questions:

Is it normal that the padding that is on your cheeks doesn't press them very hard? I am used to wearing full face helmets where the cheek padding actually pushes against your cheek to avoid sideways movement of the helmet. On this Gyro it feels pretty loose I must say. Around the head the fit is ok, but compared to a full face helmet it feels really loose on the cheeks.

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I just got my Gyro Switchblade, and since I never wore that kind of helmet I have some questions:

Is it normal that the padding that is on your cheeks doesn't press them very hard? I am used to wearing full face helmets where the cheek padding actually pushes against your cheek to avoid sideways movement of the helmet. On this Gyro it feels pretty loose I must say. Around the head the fit is ok, but compared to a full face helmet it feels really loose on the cheeks.

I had to switch to the thinner pads in my Switchblade because of pushed too much so it is possible the sizing is off. Also to put it on /take off comfortably I have to remove the chin guard to allow some flex in the cheek area or it is VERY tight / impossible to do. When on and the bar fitted my head is very well cocooned but not too tight or uncomfortable. It is more comfortable than my old motorbike helmet! I would guess you may be a size too big or you have the thin pads fitted. Of course every head is different and so every helmet fits differently. Some brands work better for different head types and it is possible a Giro is not right for your shape. How did your measurements match up with the size guide? In the middle of a size or closer to a threshold? @Scatcat has one. Let's get his opinion on the fit of his. 

I already sent mine back. Checked a review and the pictures of the guy wearing it show it should fit the same as a motorcycle helmet.

Typical problem I have with my big oval head :P If I take a size smaller it won't fit around the top, take a size that fits around the top and it's way too loose at the cheeks. My car helmet is the same story. Had to get an XL with double sized cheek pads. L wouldn't fit on my head but XL was too loose and I could move the helmet left/right.

Going to find a shop where they have several brands so I can try and buy one there.

Good move. I don't need to tell you that it has got to fit just right. When it comes to helmets going to the store and trying them on really is the best option. I was lucky that I already own a Giro road bike helmet so I knew the sizing and shell shape for the top of the head was good for me and the thinner cheek pads just worked for the lower face. Let us know what you find. I think full face helmets are becoming better recognized as the best option for EUCs so having a good knowledge base of them here is important. Be sure to share your fitting experience of the Switchblade in the review I did. It may help someone else make their decision. 

Yeah, should have known it. I would never buy a motorcycle or car helmet online, unless if it's to replace an old one with exactly the same model. And this is more in that territory than a normal bicycle helmet.

6 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I had to switch to the thinner pads in my Switchblade because of pushed too much so it is possible the sizing is off. Also to put it on /take off comfortably I have to remove the chin guard to allow some flex in the cheek area or it is VERY tight / impossible to do. When on and the bar fitted my head is very well cocooned but not too tight or uncomfortable. It is more comfortable than my old motorbike helmet! I would guess you may be a size too big or you have the thin pads fitted. Of course every head is different and so every helmet fits differently. Some brands work better for different head types and it is possible a Giro is not right for your shape. How did your measurements match up with the size guide? In the middle of a size or closer to a threshold? @Scatcat has one. Let's get his opinion on the fit of his. 

I actually took of the back pairs of the cheek pads. The front pairs are more than sufficient to keep the helmet motionless even when pushed from the side. Also taking off the back pair of pads, I feel my hearing is less affected.

Putting it on and taking it off was a hassle when I got it, but now I have the routine down pat. I take my glasses off, place the back rim of the helmet lining on my neck and pull it down in front. It's tight, but no problem getting it on.

Archived