MSuper V3s+ 1600Wh or Tesla?

Sooo ....

what should I get?

I have serious doubts and can only spend my money once ...

Advantages of the MSuper:

- Bigger battery

- Bigger wheel diameter

Advantages of the Tesla:

- newer generation wheel that might compensate the fact that it's 2" smaller?

Want to use it mainly for:

- riding around going to the shop (a few km of very good roads, and one railroad crossing ....)

- riding on forest trails in summer

Both have an integrated trolley. Would never get a wheel without one tbh, for serious riding around. So convenient.

Probably going to sell the Inmotion V8. I don't feel safe on it anymore. I am riding it too fast for its capabilities. Even yesterday (after a bad crash a couple of weeks ago) I hit the warning beeps just by some part of resurfaced pavement that went slightly more uphill than the road around it. It seems riding this wheel at 28 km/h just isn't a good idea. I need more margin (yeah no worries, the safety equipment is also being upgraded ;) ).

I can test an Msuper, but for the Tesla I would need to order it without trying so comparing it will be really hard.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would buy the tesla. It's lighter,and got a 1900W motor instead of 1600W.So should be safer riding it at higher speeds.

I have the inmotion v8 too and thinking about replacing it with the tesla. It's just unsafe riding it above 20km/h if you're not a 60kg chinese.Last time I broke my shoulder because it ran out of power.The motor just couldn't handle a really small pothole.

11 minutes ago, enGate said:

I would buy the tesla. It's lighter,and got a 1900W motor instead of 1600W.So should be safer riding it at higher speeds.

I have the inmotion v8 too and thinking about replacing it with the tesla. It's just unsafe riding it above 20km/h if you're not a 60kg chinese.Last time I broke my shoulder because it ran out of power.The motor just couldn't handle a really small pothole.

Welcome @enGate. Talk about making an entrance.  As far as I know, your the only "shoulder planter" here.  Most of us just plant our faces; they're not as useful as shoulders.

your broken shoulder deserves a write up. what did you learn, etc. Pictures?

9 minutes ago, enGate said:

I would wait for the KS18L :-)

Ok, serious:

Hard decision.....what i can say that the Argument "Tesla is lighter and smaller" doesn't count much...It is really big for a 16inch and heavy, also.

From driving experience i definitly would choose the Tesla. Rock hard pedals, very smooth, very agile...

I doubt that riding at higher Speeds is safer on the Tesla as it has less parallel battery Systems, and because the Msuper is an 18inch wheel (more stable)  i would go for the Msuper for fast riding.

7 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Welcome @enGate. Talk about making an entrance.  As far as I know, your the only "shoulder planter" here.  Most of us just plant our faces; they're not as useful as shoulders.

your broken shoulder deserves a write up. what did you learn, etc. Pictures?

I also planted my shoulder. It's the only thing that still hurts from my crash. But luckily nothing broke :) 

18 minutes ago, enGate said:

That's my experience too. I think it makes for a great city euc because of the design and the nice features, but for long stretches of countryside riding (I don't live in the city) it's just not powerful enough, unless you ride at max 20kmh. And that's too slow for me :) 

I'd say it depends on whether you want 16 or 18 inches. Speed is approximately the same (assuming both 84V), and I don't think the 4P vs 6P battery system will be an issue for how you'd use it (aka not on mountains).

16 inches is more fun to ride, while 18 is more stable. Also 16 may have better torque whih may be neat for smaller city bump safety.

But of course the 18 is more comfortable on rough ground, and you have the range (1300Wh to get a 84V model, I would not buy a 67V one, this applies to the Tesla as well) which is nice.

Really hard to give a recommendation. I'd tend towards the Tesla but the big tire+range might be something you enjoy very much.

No matter what the model I'll get the one with the biggest batteries, so that's not an issue.
Also I am not planning on doing 60km trips so the range difference between the 2 is not a problem either.

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

16 inches is more fun to ride, while 18 is more stable. Also 16 may have better torque whih may be neat for smaller city bump safety.

But the 18" wheel will have less issues with bumps, so that equals out I guess.

2 hours ago, enGate said:

Same here. 57 kg last year. Rode my V8 at about 25 kph on a sidewalk. Didn't see a small step-up in front. Hit it. Footrests dipped/flexed and I almost dropped off the front. Only caught it last minute. Now, with Tesla, no problem on the same step-up on that sidewalk at 30 kph. Like enGate said, V8 is not meant for heavy people to do hard riding, unless you are prepared for all the flexing on your footrests.

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I can test an Msuper, but for the Tesla I would need to order it without trying so comparing it will be really hard.

Go test an MSuper. Then, decide for yourself. 18 may or may not be what you've expected. You've just got to try it to be sure.

I've upgraded from V8 to Tesla (after a short test ride on an MSuper V3S+). That MSuper was on a Soft setting, so gave me a muddy feeling. Sure, it rolls really well, but I like the agility of the smaller wheel. To me, V8 & Tesla feels very similar. So if you like how the V8 handles, but simply want faster speeds, then the Tesla would be a V8+ with almost twice the speed, albeit being a bit heavier and wider. However, if you find the V8's agility requires too much concentration, an 18 incher would be better for an easier, more balanced, calm ride. I don't know how an MSuper feels on Hard setting, but have heard the KS-18S/L are very responsive wheels with a very comfortable feel compared to the edgy feel of a small wheel. To me, its easy to cruise on the Tesla up to 40 kph. Past that, I'll need to concentrate harder on my ride. I brought it up to 53 kph, with even higher speeds being possible. I feel, other than the 100V Monster, Tesla is the next fastest wheel.

You should get an MSuper V3s. Incomparably better in every way, bar none. Have you checked the private sales for used MSupers? I hear they're around $1k nowdays.

Joking aside, I think this Tesla vs MSuper is a neat comparison because they are so different from each other than one will undoubtedly suit you better than the other.

What @Meng Yang said about the MSuper. In most ways it is better than any 16 inch wheel for riding, and not so much for picking up and for crashing.

My personal opinion is to always go for the round shape because round (and egg) is better for crashing. You'll always crash a wheel, eventually, and at well over a thousand dollars, make life easier for yourself by choosing the more crash-worthy wheel.

2 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

Remember to set the MSuper to HARD setting, in order to get a fair comparison between V8 and MS.

Tell me about it.

When I tried it it was in the softest setting. Coming from a V8 that was quite the experience. Like standing on a big pillow. Luckily we could change it.

Anyhow, the difference between my 16" and the 18" was a lot smaller than I expected (talking purely diameter here and how it behaves when driving over obstacles), so the choice was quickly made.

"Sinterklaas" (not the Coca Cola one, the real one from Europe :D ) is going to bring me a Tesla 1020Wh in a couple of weeks  :P 

The trolley handle on the Msuper is also a bit of a joke. They designed the handle to fit nicely in the shell design. They forgot that you actually have to put your hand around it. Not very ergonomic with that sharp top.

30 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Tell me about it.

When I tried it it was in the softest setting. Coming from a V8 that was quite the experience. Like standing on a big pillow. Luckily we could change it.

Having only ridden a V8 with no option to adjust the pedal firmness I find this talk of soft modes most intreaguing. The V8 pedals seem to have absolutely zero movement in them when riding. I find the concept of anything else a little mystifying and unimaginable!

8 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I find the concept of anything else a little mystifying and unimaginable!

My first time too :) 

It's not hard to understand. In the softest setting you really need to lean the pedals forward to go faster and backward to go slower. Mentally it feels like your pedals need to be tiled 45 degrees (which is of course not the case, but coming from the V8 it gives that impression). So imagine how it feels in that mode going from accelerating to hard braking, it feels as if you have to tilt the entire thing 90 degrees, and it does this all quite smooth/soft, so you don't feel the "hardness" of the device under your feet. I can understand that maybe in the middle setting it might be good for off-road riding as this will absorb bumps. But that's just a guess.

I equate ride settings to a comparison of standing in different types boats...

Soft ... your standing up in a canoe or small row boat. 

Medium ... your standing in a fishing boat... bass boat or small off shore boat, in the 20 - 25 foot range.

Hard ... your standing on the dock.

There are other impacts as well...  The harder the pedal setting, the more the motor has to work to maintain pedal position and the higher the spikes in current draw with shifts in weight or bumps in the road.

I ride pretty much exclusively on the hardest setting available on any wheel but... if your riding on bumpy, uneven ground you can lighten the load on the motor significantly by reducing the stiffness of the pedals. 

It seems lots of people read this forum. The seller told me nowadays everyone wants to buy the highest battery spec version that exists for any given wheel, while a few years ago it was impossible to sell those :) 

7 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Sooo ....

what should I get?

- Bigger battery

- Bigger wheel diameter

Advantages of the Tesla:

- riding around going to the shop (a few km of very good roads, and one railroad crossing ....)

Both have an integrated trolley. Would never get a wheel without one tbh, for serious riding around. So convenient.

Probably going to sell the Inmotion V8. I don't feel safe on it anymore. I am riding it too fast for its capabilities. Even yesterday (after a bad crash a couple of weeks ago) I hit the warning beeps just by some part of resurfaced pavement that went slightly more uphill than the road around it. It seems riding this wheel at 28 km/h just isn't a good idea. I need more margin (yeah no worries, the safety equipment is also being upgraded ;) ).

I think the MSuper is in your future. The 18-inch wheel is noticeably more comfortable when riding trails, and having almost twice the battery capacity is nothing to sneeze at.

If I could only own one wheel and I enjoyed forest trails I would now pick the MSuper. I used to say the ACM, but when the 84-volt version of the MSuper was released my opinion changed. It's such a nice wheel to ride.

16 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Sooo ....

what should I get?

- Bigger battery

- Bigger wheel diameter

Advantages of the Tesla:

Sooo ... I just ordered the Tesla from my Chinese dealer. I should get it within a week or so. If you can wait that long I will compare it for you to the MSuper V3s+.  The MSuper V3s+ has become quite soon my favorite wheel. I like riding off road deep in the Japanese mountains and it is perfect for that, but it is also nice for touring and handles well in traffic since it is very stable. I still love my ACM+, but I tend to prefer the MSuper most of the week. Now, I am waiting for the Z10 to be released and I have already preordered one. But having read the recent reviews of the Tesla in this forum, I just could not resist any longer and just ordered it, even though I have strong doubts that it will replace my MSuper. Anyway, for me these EUCs are kind of like potato chips: One is not enough!

So if you can wait until my new Tesla arrives, I would gladly compare the two for you, especially the Off-road performance. For now I just can tell you that the MSuper V3s+ gives me everyday a lot of fun and pleasure and I would buy it again without hesitating if mine got stolen. I just wish it would look more like the Ninebot One E+ and less like a gasoline canister. But that's just a matter of taste, I believe.

Archived