Gotway Monster .... Flat tire

Bob Eisenman

1 minute ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The hole for the stem valve is on the left side if the picture. Holding it with your hand on the stem valve for filling takes 1 and one half inches of clearance above the stem valve.

55896.jpg

If you use and extend the stem valve clamper the required clearance is two and seven eights inches

That's a huge pump adapter. I would certainly look into getting a low profile pump head

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's a weak spot on the tube and can easily be damaged if you are manhandling the valve while filling the tube.

Until the flat I'd never filled the tire. The stem is locked tight into position with a nut against the rim plus a lock nut.

6 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Until the flat I'd never filled the tire. The stem is locked tight into position with a nut against the rim plus a lock nut.

I read on a bike forum that if the bottom nut is too tight it can tear the tube.  Someone also said they don't use the nuts.

What pressure are you running now?

6 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

It is in downtown Salem along the harbor (Derby Street) I haven't read the book though.

Me neither, just learned about it in school.  There is a lot of history in the area.  I saw Paul Revere's headstone when I was stationed in Boston.

8 minutes ago, steve454 said:

read on a bike forum that if the bottom nut is too tight it can tear the tube.

Good point. The 'lock nut' was finger tight only. The bottom nut was snug.

Tube pressure is

30ish psi at end of ride (now)

(32ish psi at start of ride).

The stem and nuts relative to the tube base can't really be determined until tube removal.

55901.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Good point. The 'lock nut' was finger tight only. The bottom nut was snug.

Tube pressure is

30ish psi at end of ride (now)

(32ish psi at start of ride).

The stem and nuts relative to the tube base can't really be determined until tube removal.

55901.jpg

That's a good design for keeping the valve stem straight, but now I am wondering if perhaps the underside of the rim has sharp edges.  Unlikely though.  You could probably put any 22 inch tube in and have no problems.  Looks like you have enough room for a pump with one of these type chuck.

image.jpeg.889c1136ea88a7e96b7c8b862abf8579.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's a huge pump adapter.

Plastic. The whole pump assembly is made in China ?. Seems to work well and has an integrated dial gauge. Nothing at all like your shop air line with a trigger!

3 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

A picture from near the northern end of the ride:

55902.jpg

Beautiful scenery!  I took a drive during the changing of the leaves, the yellows, oranges, and browns all at the same time it seemed.  Great time of year up there.

The Monster looks great.:dribble:

22 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Plastic. The whole pump assembly is made in China ?. Seems to work well and has an integrated dial gauge. Nothing at all like your shop air line with a trigger!

I remember when everything used to say "made in Japan" and it was generally good stuff.  Now China is doing it, and it's fine with me.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Now China is doing it, and it's fine with me.

Industrial China burns a lot of coal. The air quality, depending on where you look is really bad. 

Natural gas burns clean. Recently I read about new giant oil and gas reserve test wells west of Prudhoe bay near the Willow field. This winter is supposed to be an unusually busy exploratory test well season

https://www.geoexpro.com/articles/2017/04/independents-rockin-on-alaska-s-north-slope

Although the surface land looks flat 3d imaging of the earth as much as 10,000 feet below has a hills and valleys geologic history dating back to when mountains were forming, ocean covered some of the area, capstone-like precursors were formed and oil and gas was formed and trapped.

The buyer for the gas is China :

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-09/05/c_136583420.htm

"The proposed LNG export is "a beautiful fit" for both Alaska and China and helps solidify ties between the United States and China, Keith Meyer, president of Alaska Gasline Development Corp., told Xinhua in a recent interview."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2017-07/25/content_30232698.htm

Techniques borrowed from Texas will be used to enhance production , according to something I read.

Relaxing the one child per family rule (1979-2015) has had another significant impact on family life in China. Some people used come to the States from China to have more than one child per family.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

2 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Industrial China burns a lot of coal. The air quality, depending on where you look is really bad. 

Natural gas burns clean. Recently I read about new giant oil and gas reserve test wells west of Prudhoe bay near the Willow field. This winter is supposed to be an unusually busy exploratory test well season

https://www.geoexpro.com/articles/2017/04/independents-rockin-on-alaska-s-north-slope

Although the surface land looks flat 3d imaging of the earth as much as 10,000 feet below has a hills and valleys geologic history dating back to when mountains were forming, ocean covered some of the area, capstone-like precursors were formed and oil and gas was formed and trapped.

The buyer for the gas is China :

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-09/05/c_136583420.htm

"The proposed LNG export is "a beautiful fit" for both Alaska and China and helps solidify ties between the United States and China, Keith Meyer, president of Alaska Gasline Development Corp., told Xinhua in a recent interview."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2017-07/25/content_30232698.htm

Techniques borrowed from Texas will be used to enhance production , according to something I read.

Relaxing the one child per family rule (1979-2015) has had another significant impact on family life in China. Some people used come to the States from China to have more than one child per family.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

We seem to be intertwined with China, now.

10 hours ago, steve454 said:

Uh, if it's leaking at the base of the valve stem, you should really think about replacing the tube.  Slime is intended to seal punctures on the bottom of the tube, not the sides or the top.  You might have temporarily sealed the leak at the top, but long rides are asking for a long Uber ride home.

I second this. Your air loss during the ride is way too much, it's only a question of time before you're stranded with a 35kg weight somewhere on a bike path. A filled up tire is supposed to hold for a month or much more before you have to refill, not one ride.

At least order a second tube now so you have one ready, and have a look at what you'd have to do to exchange the tube. Be prepared, because I'm pretty sure sooner or later...

The tire/tube has been holding up really well on the Slime treatment.

Today I took the Commuter Rail to northern coastal Mass and went the distance to Salisbury Beach in Massachusetts (plus a few more miles on a route previously ridden on a Ninebot). 

56325.jpg

56326.jpg

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

@Dancer

Gotway Monster is a 22 inch diameter wheel.

My Monster has a 17 inch rim. 22 inch is the outer diameter of the tire.

The image of your aliexpres link also says 2.75-17 on the box.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:05 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Cool video. Why didn't you show the moment the flat happened? Or when you noticed it?

I didn't find a 22x2.5 tube (I think that's the right size) on Amazon or a quick Google search, they seem to be rare. Maybe ewheels is your best bet.

A lot of vibration and a rubbing sound, doesn't seem like there is a lot of Monster tube experience out there.

21 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Thanks Bob!

Archived