Gotway Monster .... Flat tire

Bob Eisenman

So....I got my Monster last week and after about 100 miles the tire went flat (fast). The route was:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16QI_6D2dJkW_AT93QtRBm416m2k&usp=sharing

and on the return ride with a mile and a half left the tire went flat. It was riding normally with maybe a cyclic hard to describe (air exiting from the tire?) sound the few hundred feet before I stopped for some groceries. Went I came back out the tire was dead flat. I tried to fill it but it wouldn't hold pressure. Uber to the rescue!

55622.png

A second attempt to fill the tire closer to my apartment held pressure but after less than a mile of rolling the Monster tire was flat again. Fortunately it rolls and walks reasonably well.

I'm waiting for a response from the seller who I messaged last night with the same details.

This morning I took my Ninebot back to to same grocery store and had a little breakfast at Dunkin. The ride back to my apartment passes by a 'monstrous' hole in the pavement at a drain into a salt marsh from the street. I haven't mistakenly dropped into the hole yet.

55623.jpg

It was colder (40's) the morning I left for my Monster EUC ride to Boston. The battery drop was about the same as a second apartment to Boston ride (snd back) on the Monster the day before when it was from 50 ish to 60 degrees.

My newly used anatomy in the lower body (hips and knees)  will enjoy not riding the Monster for a few days. Hopping back onto the Ninebot was a riding relearning experience since the Ninebot seems to be controled from the knees, shins and ankles which needed to readjust for a few minutes to the much smaller and lighter Ninebot.

8 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

So....I got my Monster last week and after about 100 miles the tire went flat (fast). The route was:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16QI_6D2dJkW_AT93QtRBm416m2k&usp=sharing

and on the return ride with a mile and a half left the tire went flat. It was riding normally with maybe a cyclic hard to describe (air exiting from the tire?) sound the few hundred feet before I stopped for some groceries. Went I came back out the tire was dead flat. I tried to fill it but it wouldn't hold pressure. Uber to the rescue!

55622.png

A second attempt to fill the tire closer to my apartment held pressure but after less than a mile of rolling the Monster tire was flat again. Fortunately it rolls and walks reasonably well.

I'm waiting for a response from the seller who I messaged last night with the same details.

This morning I took my Ninebot back to to same grocery store and had a little breakfast at Dunkin. The ride back to my apartment passes by a 'monstrous' hole in the pavement at a drain into a salt marsh from the street. I haven't mistakenly dropped into the hole yet.

55623.jpg

It was colder (40's) the morning I left for my Monster EUC ride to Boston. The battery drop was about the same as a second apartment to Boston ride (snd back) on the Monster the day before when it was from 50 ish to 60 degrees.

My newly used anatomy in the lower body (hips and knees)  will enjoy not riding the Monster for a few days. Hopping back onto the Ninebot was a riding relearning experience since the Ninebot seems to be controled from the knees, shins and ankles which needed to readjust for a few minutes to the much smaller and lighter Ninebot.

I use Slime in all of my wheels. In the Monster I put 8 ounces. Unless it's a burst tube or failure at the value, Slime should be able to fix your puncture.

You'll want to try and locate where the puncture occurred. Given the size and beefiness of the Monster tire, it's probably something substantial (nail, screw, etc.). 

Did you see my MSuper repair video?

17 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

A second attempt to fill the tire closer to my apartment held pressure but after less than a mile of rolling the Monster tire was flat again. Fortunately it rolls and walks reasonably well

If as @Marty Backe suggested, you look at the tire closely, but don't  see a nail or something, put some air in the tire and listen closely while turning the tire.  If you don't see or hear any thing, spray some soapy water into the opening of the valve and see if it bubbles.  Might be a loose or bad valve core is all.

As I said to the seller:

There is no evidence of puncture. As for the stem/stem valve, witnessed in the dark of night with a flashlight, no great sound if escaping air was heard. The soapy water deal (typical standard approach) the challenges are currently:

1 weight and size of Monster in for immersion analysis ( bathtub?)

2 the stem is 'non-bent' so my bicycle pump currently doesn't fit and attach. A flex tube connector would work in terms of attaching my 'bicycle pump'. Need to look around autozone for one.

3 I have extra stem valves and and a stem removal tool from 'Slime'. The stem removal tool is like a small screw driver and won't fit. Slime markets a shorter four way stem removal tool that might fit. I don't want to re-tap the stem valve which the four way tool can do. Upon in store inspection, if the shorter tool

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-20088-4-Way-Valve-Tool-with-4-Valve-Cores/16879919?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222228016736631&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=75855775954&wl4=aud-310687321802:pla-176155136674&wl5=9001941&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=16879919&wl13=&veh=sem

has the stem adapter found on the longer tool I own then it's a buy.

Slime is certainly in the cards as a short (long?) term fix especially if the stem valve is found to be leaky.

Getting 32 psi into the tire is currently a four quarters per try endeavor at the gas station two blocks away. A dollars for quarters machine is a short Ninebot ride away. Since the Monster is not a tubeless tire it will fill with either a manual bike pump (plus flex adapter) or with a small electric pump within the apartment

Thanks for the tips.

55639.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

As I said to the seller:

There is no evidence of puncture. As for the stem/stem valve, witnessed in the dark of night with a flashlight, no great sound if escaping air was heard. The soapy water deal (typical standard approach) the challenges are currently:

1 weight and size of Monster in for immersion analysis ( bathtub?)

2 the stem is 'non-bent' so my bicycle pump currently doesn't fit and attach. A flex tube connector would work in terms of attaching my 'bicycle pump'. Need to look around autozone for one.

3 I have extra stem valves and and a stem removal tool from 'Slime'. The stem removal tool is like a small screw driver and won't fit. Slime markets a shorter four way stem removal tool that might fit. I don't want to re-tap the stem valve which the four way tool can do. Upon in store inspection, if the shorter tool

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-20088-4-Way-Valve-Tool-with-4-Valve-Cores/16879919?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222228016736631&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=75855775954&wl4=aud-310687321802:pla-176155136674&wl5=9001941&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=16879919&wl13=&veh=sem

has the stem adapter found on the longer tool I own then it's a buy.

Slime is certainly in the cards as a short (long?) term fix especially if the stem valve is found to be leaky.

Getting 32 psi into the tire is currently a four quarters per try endeavor at the gas station two blocks away. A dollars for quarters machine is a short Ninebot ride away. Since the Monster is not a tubeless tire it will fill with either a manual bike pump (plus flex adapter) or with a small electric pump within the apartment

Thanks for the tips.

55639.jpg

It looks like enough of the tire is showing that you could use the tire spoons used to change the ninebot tire to remove one side of the tire and take the tube completely out.  That way, you could do the bathtub immersion test more easily, and also be able to put the bike pump on it to air up the tube.  And run the fingers inside the tire to see if something sharp is on the inside.

Also be easy to put the Slime in while the tube is out. 

Thousands of miles on the ninebot without a flat till recently, and the new wheel goes flat in a week.:(

You would still have the problem of putting air back in once the tube was reinstalled.  Might have to carry it to the gas station by riding the ninebot.

Just thinking that the easiest solution would be to get a new tube and whatever bicycle pump Walmart has that would fit.  This is the pump I use, but the price seems to have gone up a couple dollars.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Sports-Air-Glide-500-High-Pressure-Floor-Bicycle-Pump-with-Gauge/44685803?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1148&adid=22222222227033438718&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=71940110216&wl4=pla-119492349176&wl5=9027214&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112562587&wl11=online&wl12=44685803&wl13=&veh=sem

Maybe the tube is defective?

So...I'm back up riding again....just got back from a drizzly 10 mile night ride to the tip of Marblehead Neck.

55689.png

via the public dock where stacks of lobster traps have been pulled for the season

55690.jpg

I guess the stem valve became unseated somehow and is back in place holding the tire pressure in.

About 7pm EST I Ninebot'ed to The Home Depot which closes at 8 pm on Sundays to buy an air pump.

55693.jpg

I saw a bicycle pump and an Electric air pump on their website. The manual bike pump adapter I bought barely fits over the monster stem valve (within the milled spoke hub) and must be held in place by hand rather than clipped on. About 6-10 pumps registered 32 psi on the hand pumps meter...using very little effort! Soapy water applied around each side of the hub rim showed no leaks. The stem valve seemed to have reseated itself. I went out for the test ride that failed the night before and came back with a tire still full of air. Now that's a nice gift from the Home Depot!

55695.jpg

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

We will need to see a video of this. Please. :laughbounce2:

I'm soooooo...glad a video of me on a Ninebot while carrying the Monster is not needed!?

The Monster is such a smooth and stable ride to stand up on!!

Glad you got this resolved quickly! It was just the valve itself that was problematic/loose? No actual damage?

Still surprised you got a Monster, but you seem to like it (if riding in rain this time of the year is an indication) so that's fantastic. How does it feel to have this huge range with no more charging breaks needed (you can still do them for pleasure if you like, but you don't have to)? Let me guess: awesome:efeeec645d:

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

you can still do them for pleasure if you like, but you don't have to)?

Yeah....

Considering it went flat overnight and took several tens of pumps to inflate....slime seems to be the next fix attempt (after watching @Marty Backe's video). Maybe the rubber in the tube is micro fractured (old tube?) from all the bumps I hit. A Slime'r candidate for sure.

13 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

So...I'm back up riding again....just got back from a drizzly 10 mile night ride to the tip of Marblehead Neck.

55689.png

via the public dock where stacks of lobster traps have been pulled for the season

55690.jpg

I guess the stem valve became unseated somehow and is back in place holding the tire pressure in.

About 7pm EST I Ninebot'ed to The Home Depot which closes at 8 pm on Sundays to buy an air pump.

55693.jpg

I saw a bicycle pump and an Electric air pump on their website. The manual bike pump adapter I bought barely fits over the monster stem valve (within the milled spoke hub) and must be held in place by hand rather than clipped on. About 6-10 pumps registered 32 psi on the hand pumps meter...using very little effort! Soapy water applied around each side of the hub rim showed no leaks. The stem valve seemed to have reseated itself. I went out for the test ride that failed the night before and came back with a tire still full of air. Now that's a nice gift from the Home Depot!

55695.jpg

I'm soooooo...glad a video of me on a Ninebot while carrying the Monster is not needed!?

The Monster is such a smooth and stable ride to stand up on!!

I wonder if that pump head fits on the MSuper V3's valve stem.

I bought some Slime.

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Probably the valve again, but maybe you're lucky and you have a tiny hole that the slime can fix.

The base of the stem, about where it glues to the tube, leaked audible air as I tried to pump up the tube. I did my best to tilt the Monster so that the stem would get a coating of it. After a bit of pumping the tube pressured up to 32 psi.

I went out on what would be a 32 mile ride.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cGHvBDrDhdqUX8p2k4KsKHXVcc8Xtwgs&usp=sharing

55891.png

New sights along a rail trail in Wenham.

55893.jpg

55894.jpg

The rail trail travels along some Marsh areas. It goes as far as Newburyport about twenty miles farther north from this point.

18 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I bought some Slime.

Uh, if it's leaking at the base of the valve stem, you should really think about replacing the tube.  Slime is intended to seal punctures on the bottom of the tube, not the sides or the top.  You might have temporarily sealed the leak at the top, but long rides are asking for a long Uber ride home.

I wonder how the stem got torn, you should check the hole in the rim for sharp edges, or maybe the tire was low and shifted when you got the flat, twisting the stem?

23 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I bought some Slime.

The base of the stem, about where it glues to the tube, leaked audible air as I tried to pump up the tube. I did my best to tilt the Monster so that the stem would get a coating of it. After a bit of pumping the tube pressured up to 32 psi.

55891.png

55893.jpg

55894.jpg

The rail trail travels along some Marsh areas. It goes as far as Newburyport about twenty miles farther north from this point.

Nice ride. I'm usually done for the day after riding over 30 miles.

7 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I wonder if that pump head fits on the MSuper V3's valve stem.

The hole for the stem valve is on the left side of the picture. Holding it with your hand on the stem valve for filling takes 1 and one half inches of clearance above the stem valve.

55896.jpg

If you use and extend the stem valve clamper the required clearance is two and seven eighths inches

55897.jpg

2 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Uh, if it's leaking at the base of the valve stem, you should really think about replacing the tube.  Slime is intended to seal punctures on the bottom of the tube, not the sides or the top.  You might have temporarily sealed the leak at the top, but long rides are asking for a long Uber ride home.

I wonder how the stem got torn, you should check the hole in the rim for sharp edges, or maybe the tire was low and shifted when you got the flat, twisting the stem?

Back in my bicycle days I learned the hard way that you should handle the valve with care when filling the tube. That's a weak spot on the tube and can easily be damaged if you are manhandling the valve while filling the tube.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Back in my bicycle days I learned the hard way that you should handle the valve with care when filling the tube. That's a weak spot on the tube and can easily be damaged if you are manhandling the valve while filling the tube.

I get nervous filling my car's tires and the valve sometimes bends sideways while trying to put the air chuck on it.

16 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Well said....tear down is required.

The stem is double nut locked to ensure a tight fit to the rim. Old glue? Pivoting on the Monster while hanging onto Street cross walk signs? 

30 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I bought some Slime.

55891.png

55893.jpg

55894.jpg

You're really close the House of the Seven Gables.  Looks like a nice ride.

Archived