Update: the Improved KS14S Pads

Jason McNeil

Late last week we received a batch of improved side-padding for the 14S.

Since then I've racked up about 10 testing miles, & for me at least, it it's just incredible how this small change has completely transformed this Wheel. Looking forward to the feedback from Marty & some of the other US 14S owners out there :)  

It completely baffles me how a company like King Song can get to 95% of where they need to be with a new design, then completely screw it up with a bad piece of padding & crippling firmware.
Just to give you some insight of what goes on behind the scenes: for the v1.05 Firmware improvement, KS were giving me a mid-November release date for getting this fixed; it took the threat of cancelling a 200+ Wheel order that was under production, & then low-and-behold v1.05 comes out the next day....

Same with the improved padding, KS goes into default response mode of 'Our Riders just get used to the discomfort'. I had to order 100 pieces at a pretty significant additional cost to produce these for our Customers. For overseas KS Owners, please get on your Distributors case for improvements like this, because the message doesn't seem to be getting through to KS. They (KS) think I'm just being troublesome & that everything was just perfectly fine as it was. Ultimately the power lies in your hands to get want you want in a Wheel. Rant over :lol: 

uc?export=view&id=1CoZVk2tEmTPjHR28IvwRf

To celebrate the advancement of this little Wheel, the 680Wh 14S has just been discounted by $100 to $999 & $70 off on the 840Wh to $1,120 

https://www.ewheels.com/product/king-song-14s-electric-unicycle-840wh/

@Jason McNeil

Love your excitement and doing this progresses for the community!!! Would wish all providers/resellers show that engagement!

btw:

But how much compliments do i have to do, to get you to sell me 2 piece of Ks18s sidepads without brandname? ;-) Still havent found them somewhere else....

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

But how much compliments do i have to do, to get you to sell me 2 piece of Ks18s sidepads without brandname? ;-) Still havent found them somewhere else....

You're almost there... ::innocent1: I'm sure we can do something next week for you.

Just now, Jason McNeil said:

You're almost there... ::innocent1: I'm sure we can do something next week for you.

Good that you also have some humor :-) I messed up my pads as i tried to remove the ugly brandname with some chemicals...and as perfectionist :-) i neeeeed them.....

7 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Late last week we received a batch of improved side-padding for the 14S.

Since then I've racked up about 10 testing miles, & for me at least, it it's just incredible how this small change has completely transformed this Wheel. Looking forward to the feedback from Marty & some of the other US 14S owners out there :)  

It completely baffles me how a company like King Song can get to 95% of where they need to be with a new design, then completely screw it up with a bad piece of padding & crippling firmware.
Just to give you some insight of what goes on behind the scenes: for the v1.05 Firmware improvement, KS were giving me a mid-November release date for getting this fixed; it took the threat of cancelling a 200+ Wheel order that was under production, & then low-and-behold v1.05 comes out the next day....

Same with the improved padding, KS goes into default response mode of 'Our Riders just get used to the discomfort'. I had to order 100 pieces at an additional cost to produce these for our Customers. For overseas KS Owners, please get on your Distributors case for improvements like this, because the message doesn't seem to be getting through to KS. They (KS) think I'm just being troublesome & that everything was just perfectly fine as it was. Ultimately the power lies in your hands to get want you want in a Wheel. Rant over :lol: 

uc?export=view&id=1CoZVk2tEmTPjHR28IvwRf

To celebrate the advancement of this little Wheel, the 680Wh 14S has just been discounted by $100 to $999 & $70 off on the 840Wh to $1,120 

https://www.ewheels.com/product/king-song-14s-electric-unicycle-840wh/

Any of you guys that want a 14" wheel, looks like now is the time to buy one. I can say that my KS14S is a huge improvement over the KS14C that I owned, and I consider it a 5-out-of-5 wheel. And I don't even have the new pads yet.

I have an extensive review video in the works. As soon as I get the new pads I'll be publishing it. But you just read my summary above :D

14 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

That also gives me the idea of collecting a list of improvements we give to you, before you do the next 200 wheels order! 

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You're telling us KS will stay with the old, worse pads by default except for wheels you order?

I'll never understand these manufacturers' mentality. Bonkers.

Actually, to call these pad are “worse” is a bit of a overstatement...then you can call the ACM and V3 pads also worse :-) 

(which i changed on my v3 ;-) ) 

Unless from Jason himself i have never heard anyone complain about the pads...even our Gotway hero, @Marty Backe, has had a lot of complains on the 14s...but never one on the pads. KS just wanted to give them a softer feel on the above part.

You can like that...or find it to much sticking out. Now they are just a bit more narrow...

That doesnt mean that i didnt like that progress....but i find the missing brand print more interesting :-)

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

Actually, to call these pad are “worse” is a bit of a overstatement...then you can call the ACM and V3 pads also worse :-) 

(which i changed on my v3 ;-) ) 

Unless from Jason himself i have never heard anyone complain about the pads...even our Gotway hero, @Marty Backe, has had a lot of complains on the 14s...but never one on the pads. KS just wanted to give them a softer feel on the above part.

You can like that...or find it to much sticking out. Now they are just a bit more narrow...

That doesnt mean that i didnt like that progress....but i find the missing brand print more interesting :-)

Having ridden with Jason, it's very clear that he does not like thick pads. He hates the pads on the ACM. Me? They don't bother me (ACM or KS14S).

But I'm curious to see how the thinner pads work - maybe I'll be surprised and really like them. And like you say, not having the KINGSONG logo will be nice. :thumbup:

@Jason McNeil, maybe you can use your persuasive power with king Song to improve  ( but keep same thickness) the pads for the upcoming KS18L. The existing ones in the early prototypes look too small, did it look that way in person when you checked out?

16 hours ago, Adel said:

@Jason McNeil, maybe you can use your persuasive power with king Song to improve  ( but keep same thickness) the pads for the upcoming KS18L. The existing ones in the early prototypes look too small, did it look that way in person when you checked out?

Because it's still several months off, not sure if this is the final design. From memory, the Wheel felt comfortable to ride. IMO the chief cause of Wheel discomfort is when manufacturers introduce protruding edges like on the V8. 

What people are saying is they prefer one thickness of pads over another. What they really mean is they want adjustable pads that can be made juuust right for their particular morphology.

I think pads of the perfect thickness do not allow your ankles to crunch into the wheel when tilting the wheel hard, yet thin enough to use most of the width of the footpads, and at an angle that lays flat against your legs. Since we're all so different, choosing a pad thickness based on someone else's personal preference is going to be a guess.

I think wheels are the most personal of vehicles, perhaps not as personal as rollerblades, but very close, and I envision a future where you go into a wheel shop to be personally fitted to your wheel as by now we have a pretty good idea at what makes a wheel feel both controllable and comfortable.

Archived