Beat the crap out of the Tesla video!!!

24 minutes ago, stevedig said:

Apparently GW America want's us to know the Tesla is one tough wheel...

I look forward to beating the crap out of mine.

That did seem like a thorough test of the robustness of the innards, and I'm glad they did a little testing on pavement. I suspect that if they did this test along with a KingSong and both wheels did not have any padding, KingSong would come out way ahead.

Since they were willing to sacrifice the wheel they should not have used padding. Most people that I ride with don't pad up their wheel. But maybe the focus of this testing was to see how the motor, control board, batteries, and wiring hold up.

This video aptly demonstrates how horrible Gotway is with regards to stopped wheel rotation during a crash. I tell you, KingSong now totally rules in this department. My KS14S instantly turns into a dead animal when it falls. My Gotway wheels (including the Mten3) usually turn into a bucking bull.

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That did seem like a thorough test of the robustness of the innards, and I'm glad they did a little testing on pavement. I suspect that if they did this test with along with a KingSong and both wheels did not have any padding, KingSong would come out ahead.

Since they were willing to sacrifice the wheel they should not have used padding. Most people that I ride with don't pad up their wheel. But maybe the focus of this testing was to see how the motor, control board, batteries, and wiring hold up.

This video aptly demonstrates how horrible Gotway is with regards to stopped wheel rotation during a crash. I tell you, KingSong now totally rules in this department. My KS14S instantly turns into a dead animal when it falls. My Gotway wheels (including the Mten3) usually turn into a bucking bull.

I like how the Gotway protests against being misused. Why keep kicking it?  I got the impression that they really hate Gotwheel, but can't find fault in this one.  

On 11/3/2017 at 7:00 PM, Marty Backe said:

My KS14S instantly turns into a dead animal when it falls. My Gotway wheels (including the Mten3) usually turn into a bucking bull.

I like that the Gotway refuses to power off.  But will not jump at the rider.  Seems like a safety feature to protect the batteries, discharge the capacitors, then turn off.  Not. LOL

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I like that the Gotway refuses to power off.  But will not jump at the rider.  Seems like a safety feature to protect the batteries, discharge the capacitors, then turn off.

Really??? KingSong wheels don't turn off, but the tire stops spinning. Period. I hate how Gotway wheels handle falls.

gyro action is a little disturbing on gotway drops. invariably adds to the damage. thumped the side of my car hard enough the other day to set the alarm off.

i prefer the way my ks18s lays down, nice and quiet... no extra kicks.

... i mean, if you have to lay one down...

IMO that test is complete nonsense.

The first part on the grass, ow come on please. Any generic $300 wheel would survive that.

Next on the road, it's just some simple falls, with a serious protector on it to catch the impact. I wonder which wheel could not handle that kind of abuse, with that kind of padding on it.

Far be it from me to defend anybody's contribution. I put it up here because I was rather ticked to find that someone spent what, 4 or so hours... rolling, chasing, kicking and otherwise finding ways to get it to crash. 

Still, for whatever purpose they did this, I think they did it as well as they could ... reasonably. No, they didn't roll it down the side of a mountain, bouncing off of boulders and down clefts in the hillside. The also didn't offer up a 40+ kph crash or 5 but those are kind of hard to produce (cough cough).

The grass was a grass/gravel mix but hell, that's what I got my first wheel for. I wanted something I could jump on and roll across the field to pick up my crashed quad/wing/plane when I was out flying my RC aircraft. I spend a good bit of time on grassy surfaces with my wheels. And they did go spend some time smacking it into the pavement as well. 

I think they did the best they could without introducing the potential for strawberries and broken bones. Having said as much, it's still completely mad to go beat the crap out of a nice wheel to prove you can...ish.

And... I've seen a number of pictures of euc condoms on here over the last few days... scratch prevention upgrade from baby bumper corner padding... I doubt the vest provided a lot of shock absorption for the internal components.

17 minutes ago, stevedig said:

Far be it from me to defend anybody's contribution. I put it up here because I was rather ticked to find that someone spent what, 4 or so hours... rolling, chasing, kicking and otherwise finding ways to get it to crash. 

Still, for whatever purpose they did this, I think they did it as well as they could ... reasonably. No, they didn't roll it down the side of a mountain, bouncing off of boulders and down clefts in the hillside. The also didn't offer up a 40+ kph crash or 5 but those are kind of hard to produce (cough cough).

The grass was a grass/gravel mix but hell, that's what I got my first wheel for. I wanted something I could jump on and roll across the field to pick up my crashed quad/wing/plane when I was out flying my RC aircraft. I spend a good bit of time on grassy surfaces with my wheels. And they did go spend some time smacking it into the pavement as well. 

I think they did the best they could without introducing the potential for strawberries and broken bones. Having said as much, it's still completely mad to go beat the crap out of a nice wheel to prove you can...ish.

And... I've seen a number of pictures of euc condoms on here over the last few days... scratch prevention upgrade from baby bumper corner padding... I doubt the vest provided a lot of shock absorption for the internal components.

I'm glad you posted it, and there's some benefit to seeing the abuse that it can take. But in general, our wheels (all brands) can take an amazing amount of abuse, which I've seen first hand on mine and others wheels. That gives me a lot of confidence that they won't fail me when riding.

1 hour ago, stevedig said:

I doubt the vest provided a lot of shock absorption for the internal components.

The vest spreads the load of any impact over a complete surface compared to having that same impact on a precise point of the shell. A bit the principle of a hard knee or shoulder protector. So in that sense it does change the way the wheel handles it. If it weren't to change anything, why put it on?

The shell is a hard plastic. If you want to beat it continuously over a period of time to validate internal component toughness/integrity you would have to provide something to allow the shell to survive the abuse. 

Honestly, I don't know what the intent was in making the video. I found it while looking at stuff, suffering, while I wait for the slow boat to dock and customs to pass my wheel. Given the protection provided I'd have to assume it wasn't to prove how crack and scratch resistant the body was however.

Of course, that is the problem with the video... It says it's a crash test video but it doesn't provide any additional information. Why were we doing this crash test? What components did we intend to test under what conditions? Thus my title for it... Beat the crap out of the Tesla. 

This video is so easy to see as a complete opposite of what it was probably meant to be.

"Everybody look! If you put a bulletproof vest on a Tesla, you can tumble it over on grass!"

To see this come from Gotway themselves... Auch.

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

This video is so easy to see as a complete opposite of what it was probably meant to be.

"Everybody look! If you put a bulletproof vest on a Tesla, you can tumble it over on grass!"

To see this come from Gotway themselves... Auch.

It doesn't come from Gotway. This video was made by a seller in the United States and has nothing to do with Gotway directly.

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It doesn't come from Gotway. This video was made by a seller in the United States and has nothing to do with Gotway directly.

I see, thanks. I wonder what kind of communication will follow between GW America and the official Gotway.

On 03/11/2017 at 8:49 PM, Marty Backe said:

Really??? KingSong wheels don't turn off, but the tire stops spinning. Period. I hate how Gotway wheels handle falls.

Special thanks to Marty for asking me to put in a request to Gotway to change this behaviour. Evidently the long >45° cut-out delay was in the firmware intentionally. 

Here's the behaviour with a FW tweak. I'm in the process of trying  to coordinate getting a new Downloader tool, where this improvement can be applied to all GW models by just sending in the control-board for reflashing...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XQBWIFRwpygy841v1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nrA8RJzJPcL3HD3l2

10 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

I'm in the process of trying  to coordinate getting a new Downloader tool,

That’s great news Jason!  Any chance this new shipment will get this upgrade before they are shipped out?  

9 minutes ago, Sketch said:

That’s great news Jason!  Any chance this new shipment will get this upgrade before they are shipped out?  

Since it's an 'enhancement' I don't want to hold back peoples orders, & it might take several weeks to get the testing completed.

Archived