Jump to content

ADVISORY: Tesla Requires Replacement Side Panel


Recommended Posts

Out of the gate, and there's already work to be done!  :rolleyes: Can you imagine being a dealer and needing to wait for repair parts for a new wheel that customers are expecting and then needing to swap parts on all the wheels?  They must order these in what batches of 30?  That's a lot of extra work.  At least Gotway is proactive and sending replacement parts.

With the ton of snow outside, I don't think I'll be riding any time soon so the timing might work out after all.  My gamble to order from AliEx to get in some riding before November did not pay off!  :cry2:

I was looking at some Techflex sleeving products.  I might order some and do my own mods if the replacement shell doesn't come or takes a while to get here.  I wonder if there is like a reinforcement fin on the shell that binds on the wire.  Maybe a simple Dremel trim of the plastic might do the trick.  A photo of the offending part that is pinching there would be handy.

EDIT:   VVVV - basically what he said, but edited in later!  :lol:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Out of the gate, and there's already work to be done!  :rolleyes: Can you imagine being a dealer and needing to wait for repair parts for a new wheel that customers are expecting and then needing to swap parts on all the wheels?  They must order these in what batches of 30?  That's a lot of extra work.  At least Gotway is proactive and sending replacement parts.

With the ton of snow outside, I don't think I'll be riding any time soon so the timing might work out after all.  My gamble to order from AliEx to get in some riding before November did not pay off!  :cry2:

I was looking at some Techflex sleeving products.  I might order some and do my own mods if the replacement shell doesn't come or takes a while to get here.  I wonder if there is like a reinforcement fin on the shell that binds on the wire.  Maybe a simple Dremel trim of the plastic might do the trick.  A photo of the offending part that is pinching there would be handy.

At least this is an easy fix and does not require messing with wiring, etc. But hopefully you can get some level of support from AliExpress and get them to send you a new side panel.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You're seeing this right, @KingSong69 and @Hunka Hunka Burning Love. I know you guys didn't buy yours from Jason.

Thanks...

I allready have known this....in fact this can only happen, when smashing the wheel on the side...or clamping it very extremly with the leg.

Infact it seams to be the the rims of the glued in magnet, which does this defect...i wanted to go to make photos/report this when i got mine, or other useres here got them....didnt want to scare people away. Solution might be to cut the rim of the magnet holder...not necessary a new sidepad needed...

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Flow said:

What kind of an issue is it? Is there an edge sticking out of the panel that presses onto the wire? Is there enough flex to put something between the panel and the wire?

Just trying to think of temporary fixes such as breaking a small piece off the panel. With 42 days passed since the "shipping" of my Tesla and it not even being in the Netherlands yet, I have my doubts about the replacement panel arriving during this year...

EDIT: Now it just seems I'm regurgitating what @Hunka Hunka Burning Love said after sneaky edits. :facepalm:

:lol:  Naw, all props go to you.  I wasn't able to see Jason's photo when I was on my iPhone when I posted my message.  At work I saw the photo and edited my post, and right after that I saw that you had mentioned the same thing.  So basically great minds think alike!  :innocent1:

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, litewave said:

G:blink1:tway is the F-O-R-D (Fix Or Repair Daily) of EUCs :lol:

I think I can suffer my E+ for another six months until the Z arrives. If rumors from China via France are correct, they seem to be taking their time to get everything right. Here's hoping ...

If Ninebot were to redesign the Ninebot One E+ and move the control board to the top that would free up space on the sides for larger battery packs.  Make the side panel boxes larger or wider even.  Bump up the speed to about 30-35 KPH cruising speed, and I bet that would satisfy a lot of people.  The casing might be "old," but it's durable and a classic look.  It's too bad they didn't take some small steps to improve a well known and reliable product rather than ditching the form factor altogether and going with a smaller 14" wheel and now a large fat one.  :rolleyes:  My Ninebot isn't too big, but it is a little heavy.  It's a pretty good wheel for basic commuting as it is.  I don't know if I really need a fat wheel as it just doesn't look as sleek.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just my opinion but while waiting for a new side panel to arrive I would simply grind off the plastic tab impinging on the wire. There would not be any warranty issues I can think of because you will still be required to remove the old side panel for replacement. Just a thought.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Just my opinion but while waiting for a new side panel to arrive I would simply grind off the plastic tab impinging on the wire. There would not be any warranty issues I can think of because you will still be required to remove the old side panel for replacement. Just a thought.

I see it as you do...but:

i am not totally sure if its the magnet ring pressing...When you look at the Tesla the side panel is kind of split in two parts, the upper and the lower part. If its because of that split...perhaps you can not take away any plastic without doing a hole to the shell.

Have to see it  myself....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I see it as you do...but:

i am not totally sure if its the magnet ring pressing...When you look at the Tesla the side panel is kind of split in two parts, the upper and the lower part. If its because of that split...perhaps you can not take away any plastic without doing a hole to the shell.

Have to see it  myself....

You know me to well:).  

Your correct. I would need to see the inside shell casing as well. Even a little groove in the tab would help relieve some of the pressure. If you apply some lipstick to the wire bundle and then easily press the shell over the wires it will create a nice location mark to determine exactly where to grind the area.

I would also file off the sharp edge of the nut cutting into the bottom of the wire bundle.

nuts

 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@yun do you have a photo of the part of the cover that pinched the motor cable sheath?  It seems a bit high for a magnet to be in that location as the pedal support drops down a bit.  I'm betting it could be a structural fin on the cover like the one right next to the screws in the photo above.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Not quite sure whether it's accurate, but apparently the Gotway Tesla I'm getting has the problem already corrected.  Maybe that would explain the extended delay.  I'll certainly take a looksee on Monday when it's supposed to arrive.

 @Hunka Hunka Burning Love who said that its allready corrected, your seller? That would be nice...

 Delays were mostly because Gotway put the China sellers (ali) last in the row.

Mine is announced for Monday. also :-)

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...