ADVISORY: Tesla Requires Replacement Side Panel

Linnea has just informed me that they have identified a fault where the motor-side side-panel cuts into the motor wiring loom & may cause an internal break in the wires.

They are Expressing a batch of new panels out to me tomorrow. Our shipment doesn't get into port for another week, so there shouldn't be any delay with getting our Wheels out in time.
However, if you own a Tesla now, or have one of the way from another source, please contact your seller to get this replacement panel. 

Kudos to Gotway for being much more proactive on this issue.

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjWDBoY2NOY

Hi; thanks for the advise!

I own a Tesla, I had it for 4 days now, I’ll leave it to my dealer tomorrow to check it and I’ll come back with an update to see how much damage (if there is) has been done in this 4 days (60km).

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Linnea has just informed me that they have identified a fault where the motor-side side-panel cuts into the motor wiring loom & may cause an internal break in the wires.

They are Expressing a batch of new panels out to me tomorrow. Our shipment doesn't get into port for another week, so there shouldn't be any delay with getting our Wheels out in time.
However, if you own a Tesla now, or have one of the way from another source, please contact your seller to get this replacement panel. 

Kudos to Gotway for being much more proactive on this issue.

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjWDBoY2NOY

You're seeing this right, @KingSong69 and @Hunka Hunka Burning Love. I know you guys didn't buy yours from Jason.

Out of the gate, and there's already work to be done!  :rolleyes: Can you imagine being a dealer and needing to wait for repair parts for a new wheel that customers are expecting and then needing to swap parts on all the wheels?  They must order these in what batches of 30?  That's a lot of extra work.  At least Gotway is proactive and sending replacement parts.

With the ton of snow outside, I don't think I'll be riding any time soon so the timing might work out after all.  My gamble to order from AliEx to get in some riding before November did not pay off!  :cry2:

I was looking at some Techflex sleeving products.  I might order some and do my own mods if the replacement shell doesn't come or takes a while to get here.  I wonder if there is like a reinforcement fin on the shell that binds on the wire.  Maybe a simple Dremel trim of the plastic might do the trick.  A photo of the offending part that is pinching there would be handy.

EDIT:   VVVV - basically what he said, but edited in later!  :lol:

What kind of an issue is it? Is there an edge sticking out of the panel that presses onto the wire? Is there enough flex to put something between the panel and the wire?

Just trying to think of temporary fixes such as breaking a small piece off the panel. With 42 days passed since the "shipping" of my Tesla and it not even being in the Netherlands yet, I have my doubts about the replacement panel arriving during this year...

EDIT: Now it just seems I'm regurgitating what @Hunka Hunka Burning Love said after sneaky edits. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I was looking at some Techflex sleeving products.  I might order some and do my own mods if the replacement shell doesn't come or takes a while to get here.  I wonder if there is like a reinforcement fin on the shell that binds on the wire.  Maybe a simple Dremel trim of the plastic might do the trick.  A photo of the offending part that is pinching there would be handy.

G:blink1:tway is the F-O-R-D (Fix Or Repair Daily) of EUCs :lol:

I think I can suffer my E+ for another six months until the Z arrives. If rumors from China via France are correct, they seem to be taking their time to get everything right. Here's hoping ...

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Out of the gate, and there's already work to be done!  :rolleyes: Can you imagine being a dealer and needing to wait for repair parts for a new wheel that customers are expecting and then needing to swap parts on all the wheels?  They must order these in what batches of 30?  That's a lot of extra work.  At least Gotway is proactive and sending replacement parts.

With the ton of snow outside, I don't think I'll be riding any time soon so the timing might work out after all.  My gamble to order from AliEx to get in some riding before November did not pay off!  :cry2:

At least this is an easy fix and does not require messing with wiring, etc. But hopefully you can get some level of support from AliExpress and get them to send you a new side panel.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You're seeing this right, @KingSong69 and @Hunka Hunka Burning Love. I know you guys didn't buy yours from Jason.

Thanks...

I allready have known this....in fact this can only happen, when smashing the wheel on the side...or clamping it very extremly with the leg.

Infact it seams to be the the rims of the glued in magnet, which does this defect...i wanted to go to make photos/report this when i got mine, or other useres here got them....didnt want to scare people away. Solution might be to cut the rim of the magnet holder...not necessary a new sidepad needed...

54 minutes ago, Flow said:

What kind of an issue is it? Is there an edge sticking out of the panel that presses onto the wire? Is there enough flex to put something between the panel and the wire?

Just trying to think of temporary fixes such as breaking a small piece off the panel. With 42 days passed since the "shipping" of my Tesla and it not even being in the Netherlands yet, I have my doubts about the replacement panel arriving during this year...

EDIT: Now it just seems I'm regurgitating what @Hunka Hunka Burning Love said after sneaky edits. :facepalm:

:lol:  Naw, all props go to you.  I wasn't able to see Jason's photo when I was on my iPhone when I posted my message.  At work I saw the photo and edited my post, and right after that I saw that you had mentioned the same thing.  So basically great minds think alike!  :innocent1:

Thanks Jason!  I'm glad to have mine on order with ewheels.  I appreciate it.  Good to see that Gotway is making some efforts.  I'm glad it seems to be an easy fix.

24 minutes ago, litewave said:

I think I can suffer my E+ for another six months until the Z arrives. If rumors from China via France are correct, they seem to be taking their time to get everything right. Here's hoping ...

If Ninebot were to redesign the Ninebot One E+ and move the control board to the top that would free up space on the sides for larger battery packs.  Make the side panel boxes larger or wider even.  Bump up the speed to about 30-35 KPH cruising speed, and I bet that would satisfy a lot of people.  The casing might be "old," but it's durable and a classic look.  It's too bad they didn't take some small steps to improve a well known and reliable product rather than ditching the form factor altogether and going with a smaller 14" wheel and now a large fat one.  :rolleyes:  My Ninebot isn't too big, but it is a little heavy.  It's a pretty good wheel for basic commuting as it is.  I don't know if I really need a fat wheel as it just doesn't look as sleek.

Just my opinion but while waiting for a new side panel to arrive I would simply grind off the plastic tab impinging on the wire. There would not be any warranty issues I can think of because you will still be required to remove the old side panel for replacement. Just a thought.

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Just my opinion but while waiting for a new side panel to arrive I would simply grind off the plastic tab impinging on the wire. There would not be any warranty issues I can think of because you will still be required to remove the old side panel for replacement. Just a thought.

I see it as you do...but:

i am not totally sure if its the magnet ring pressing...When you look at the Tesla the side panel is kind of split in two parts, the upper and the lower part. If its because of that split...perhaps you can not take away any plastic without doing a hole to the shell.

Have to see it  myself....

36 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I see it as you do...but:

i am not totally sure if its the magnet ring pressing...When you look at the Tesla the side panel is kind of split in two parts, the upper and the lower part. If its because of that split...perhaps you can not take away any plastic without doing a hole to the shell.

Have to see it  myself....

You know me to well:).  

Your correct. I would need to see the inside shell casing as well. Even a little groove in the tab would help relieve some of the pressure. If you apply some lipstick to the wire bundle and then easily press the shell over the wires it will create a nice location mark to determine exactly where to grind the area.

I would also file off the sharp edge of the nut cutting into the bottom of the wire bundle.

nuts

1 hour ago, litewave said:

I was always told it stood for Found On Road Dead ?

I guess TESLA ought to be Terminal Electric Shocks Likely Anytime!

@yun do you have a photo of the part of the cover that pinched the motor cable sheath?  It seems a bit high for a magnet to be in that location as the pedal support drops down a bit.  I'm betting it could be a structural fin on the cover like the one right next to the screws in the photo above.

11 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Not quite sure whether it's accurate, but apparently the Gotway Tesla I'm getting has the problem already corrected.  Maybe that would explain the extended delay.  I'll certainly take a looksee on Monday when it's supposed to arrive.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love who said that its allready corrected, your seller? That would be nice...

Delays were mostly because Gotway put the China sellers (ali) last in the row.

Mine is announced for Monday. also :-)

Yeah I checked with the seller to see if they were going to be forwarding the repair parts, and they mentioned the wheel I was getting was already taken care of concerning the problem.  Maybe the old side panel with the small pad at the top was redesigned with a new pad and inside part that doesn't bind the cabling?  

In any case I'm going to open it up to see what's happening, post photos, and give my impression on everything once the wheel arrives.  Can't really ride it in this weather anyways so may as well do some poking around to see if everything is up to snuff with no solder bridges or other possible weak spots.

It looks like in this case the wheels provided to the AliEx sellers may have received the fix as they were shipped out later like you mentioned.  It all has to do with timing it seems.  I'll try to confirm once I see what's happening at the cable exit area.  It's probably not a huge issue to remedy in any case.  Replacing a panel or trimming a support fin is likely all that is needed.  You're from the future so you'll probaby get your wheel first!

Edit:  On a side note they really need to program in a better wheel tip over cut off.  Imagine some parent asking a child to hold the wheel for a second while they get something.  The child is distracted and lets the wheel slip causing it to spin out, flip over, catch the ground and go plowing into the kid.  That would be bad.  

I wonder if it might be due to EUC Extreme's influence with his 60° tilt capable MSuper from way back.  Did Gotway figure if 60° is good, maybe 85° is even better?  Maybe it's to allow people to ride around crazy curved walls at the skateparks.  I imagine some people like to zoom towards a curved wall and do a U turn sideways.  If the wheel cuts out that would end badly...  Smart firmware should be able to detect a sudden RPM rate increase beyond what is normally capable with a rider onboard, check if the tilt angle is out of operating range, and then shutdown power immediately.

Also, there must be some smart way to stop having live voltage at the charge port?  It's almost 2018.  Com'on.  That's a clear and present danger.  Is there really 84V at the charge port pins on Gotway wheels still?  I still imagine a pet or child putting their mouth on that and getting severely burned.  People have shorted the port out with loose chains from metal caps.  It just looks like a disaster ready to happen.

• 10 months later...

Archived