Tested - Gotway Monster with Upgraded Knobby Tire

Steven D Wheeler

I ride my Monster on Forest Trails and was concerned that fallen leaves that accumulate and get wet may cause a lack of grip

so I looked into some candidate tires once learning that the actual size of a monster tire is 2.75 - 17, not 22 inches.

The best tire that I found that I thought might even fit was a Shinko 241.

I found this tire to be about $45 shipped to my door so I took a chance.

Upon arrival I eagerly tore my Monster down to bits and pulled off the tire swap.

I replaced the inner tube with a 3.0 - 17 as the tire is just a bit wider than the stock one.

This worked out great.

Here is the tire: Shinko 241 Golden Boy 2.75 -17

DR10984_A.jpg

The Mod being done next came the test ride.

First time out I could not believe how different the handling was.

The old tire turned very tight, the new one demanded a wider turn.

This took much getting used to till I mastered it.

About a week 2 hours a day.

I also ride this setup sitting down which is amazing!

Very controllable at slow and high speeds now that I have refined my technique.

I now look forward to Chicago's worst weather which is just around the corner.

This tire should grip nicely on fresh snow and sleet.

I am not letting Old Man Winter stop me from my Trail rides! ;)

19 hours ago, Steven D Wheeler said:

I looked into some candidate tires once learning that the actual size of a monster tire is 2.75 - 17, not 22 inches.

confused, so the monster tire is not 22 inches?

its 17" ??

• 2 weeks later...

That’s a great idea you had. But just fair warning if you plan on riding in the Chicago winters if you have your monster outside without it on and it gets to cold when you turn it on like normal it will spin up and take off on you. The gyro has to be about a certain temp before it will work. I live an hour away from chicago and this happened to me twice this last week (20 degree) weather outside. If anyone is interested I’ll post a video as well. 

1 hour ago, Monsterman said:

That’s a great idea you had. But just fair warning if you plan on riding in the Chicago winters if you have your monster outside without it on and it gets to cold when you turn it on like normal it will spin up and take off on you. The gyro has to be about a certain temp before it will work. I live an hour away from chicago and this happened to me twice this last week (20 degree) weather outside. If anyone is interested I’ll post a video as well. 

Say that's good advice, I do keep my monster in my garage where it is cold.

I haven't experienced this anomaly yet, and do not want to.

So it just takes off like your giving it throttle? Isn't it cold in China?

I wonder if that's just an anomaly with your specific wheel.  @EUC Extreme and others seems to ride various wheels during the winter, but I don't recall him mentioning any problems like that.  In the datasheet (section 6.9), the Invensense MPU 6000/6050 has an operational range of -40°C to 105°C.  The CPU also operates within a similar range.  Maybe there is a one off glitch in that specific gyro chip or the board on Monsterman's wheel?  It might be worth replacing if it is not functioning within the typical temperature range as it could indicate possible future issues.

https://store.invensense.com/datasheets/invensense/MPU-6050_DataSheet_V3 4.pdf

I know Monsterman personally and he demonstrated what happens in cold weather when the euc is left in the car and he is totally correct . It was very scary how fast the wheel spun up , like 0 to 100 percent . Talked to the electrician at work and he said it was probably from condensation from the cold that turned it into a death rocket. Just saying believe him and dont leave your monster out in the cold or it will turn into a real monster. 

On 11/11/2017 at 12:41 PM, Monsterman said:

The gyro has to be about a certain temp before it will work. I live an hour away from chicago and this happened to me twice this last week (20 degree) weather outside. If anyone is interested I’ll post a video as well. 

I definitely believe you that it's happening, but the parts are supposed to work at those temperatures. At least, every one that DigiKey sells is specced to work at those temperatures and significantly below it. However, there is supposed to be temperature compensation on the gyro and maybe it isn't working? I found an interesting research paper on the problem. Stop making me learn things! :D Here is a quote from the paper:

However, for high-end applications such as the military, automotive, medical surgery, etc., micro-gyroscopes cannot not meet the performance demands due to the bias-drift which is a critical issue for high performance micro-gyroscopes. In other words, even in the absence of any input (angular velocity) the output of the micro-gyroscope is non-zero. This offset, which is usually referred to bias-drift, is present in the measured signal. Bias-drift is a complex phenomenon which is a combination of time-, temperature- and disturbance-dependent behaviors [4]. The main consideration of the phenomenon is the effect of the temperature fluctuation of the environment. This effect is an important source error in MEMS gyroscopes and is the most discussed.

Archived