GW Msuper 3, USB port broken, and lights off

EUCMania

Yesterday I rode my Gotway Msuper 3 on a rocky trail. I charged my phone via USB port on it while riding. When the EUC fall, I ran off, but the USB cable pulled the white board of the USB port off. I continued on my journey on the Msuper3. Today, I notice that the front and back lights does not work. Did anyone has this problem before?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EUCMania said:

Yesterday I rode my Gotway Msuper 3 on a rocky trail. I charged my phone via USB port on it while riding. When the EUC fall, I ran off, but the USB cable pulled the white board of the USB port off. I continued on my journey on the Msuper3. Today, I notice that the front and back lights does not work. Did anyone has this problem before?

Sorry, I don't have any direct experience with this.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this, but for others...   This is why I never use the USB port on the wheel while riding. I spent ~$20 and bought this portable charger so that I can keep my phone fully charged while using GPS mapping, WheelLog, Pebble, etc on my phone during my long rides.

71mIxgOwhrL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Did you open it up and see what the exact damage is? Maybe just a connector was unplugged?

You can get spare parts, maybe ask Jason (ewheels.com) or Ian (Speedyfeet) or the seller of your choice.

---

+1 on the powerbank idea.

I also used my USB port for charging, and it's awesome to always have that option, but the wheel (ACM) fell and bent it a little. Still working, just the cover won't stay in by itself.

Then I got a powerbank and never looked back. Also charges faster than the slooooooow ACM/msuper V3 USB port (0.5A I think, but Monster has 2!).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
spelling
  • Like 2

I take a USB female from a retired computer. I am ready to open it up to see what is damaged. Then I found that to remove those screws deep in the side handle bar holes, I need a magnetized screw driver.....Tried to put a magnet on a regular screw driver, only to find that the magnet is not strong enough....

Then I see those DIY video on how ot magnetize a screw driver. It shows that just ataach the magnet near the handle, push it to the tip, repeat 10 times. Then the screw driver is magnetized.... OK, I will try this tonight.

Edited by EUCMania
  • Upvote 1

OK, Today< I tried to open the shell of GW MSuper3 to replace the USB port. Then, I find that two screws in the deep holes in the upper panel cannot be removed, and some screws attaching the panel to the pedal arm is too tight to turn. I then applied W40. Still, one of the screw refused to turn and finally, my screw driver flattened the top of the screw, making it impossible to remove. So, I gave up openning the EUC. put all screws back.

Not wanting to give up, I looked into the damaged USB port. I found that some of the wires contacted other. I thought that may lead to short circuit. So, I used a plier to  pull them off. Then I tested, the lights now work! 

Lesson learnt:

1. Do not fall when using USB port. It will damage the USB port.

2. If the USB port is damaged, then pull off the wires sticking out or contacting something to prevent short circuiting something.

3. then use hot glue to keep the USB cap closed and sealed.

Edited by EUCMania
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Im pretty sure this has nothing to do with your USB port being bad. Just to recap, you said usb port not working and front and rear light not working as well? If all three are not working its your set down transformer that's bad. It lowers your voltage from the PCB 72v to 5v which runs your usb and lights. I have one customer with the same issues.

best way is to either replace the PCB or unsolder the parts from a burnt pcb and resolder them to your pcb.

Hope that helps

• 3 years later...
On 11/21/2017 at 11:06 AM, Nevin@Tec-toyz.com said:

Estoy bastante seguro de que esto no tiene nada que ver con que su puerto USB sea malo. Solo para recapitular, ¿dijo que el puerto USB no funciona y la luz delantera y trasera no funcionan tan bien? Si los tres no funcionan, es su transformador instalado, eso está mal. Reduce su voltaje de la PCB 72v a 5v que ejecuta su usb y luces. Tengo un cliente con los mismos problemas.

La mejor manera es reemplazar la placa de circuito impreso o desoldar las piezas de una placa de circuito impreso quemada y volver a soldarlas en la placa de circuito impreso.

Espero que ayude

Please help me, you say that right, I'm trying repair the board,(no lights, usb, bluetooth music) what is the part what I need replace, or it's a many pieces?