GW Super 18 different speeds (how they do it)

How does GotWay get different speeds and climbing angle with the GW18?

What I know is there no gear in it.

So usually it is only a change of the software for the stepper motor?

Or do they have different controller?

Would be great to change the firmware via app/bluetooth if it is software regulated.

I'm asking because I like to do the right chose to order the GW 18.

Other changing like warning beeps, max. speed setup would be superb!

So you can config the wheel like you need it.

That's a very good question that I would love to know the answer to as well.

I know that as yet there is no facility to change anything other than how agressively the wheel reacts to your inputs/lean.

I had assumed that the different speeds and powers were achieved by the number of windings on the motor coils but thinking about it that would mean having 3 different products coming off the production line, so probably not.

When I was going to order this I asked the question whether one of the versions was quiter than the others.  I thought for sure they would have gears and then the version that climbs the least may have no gearing and that's the one I would want, the quietest which had the highest top speed.  But now it is said that none of them are geared (as in no planetary gearing) therefore it opens up my choice.  I probably won't ride at top speed anyway, then for me opting for more climb ability might be better.  I would like to know the difference as well.

I like the thought that the motors are different.  I've read that the number of magnets vs coils become the gear ratio of the motor.  This would give different torque characteristics and different gearing without gears.  If that's the case then I want the one with quicker response which (I assume) will be the one with better climbing - and I also assume the one with highest top speed may not feel any faster at lower speeds.  So either I should pick the middle one or the climber one would be awesome!  I think I'm selling myself one!

I really wanted the high torque version myself but I've ordered the middle one which I am assured will handle the steep hills around my area, even with my weight on board.

Still it will be nice to think I've got the possibility of riding at about 20 mph.

As arbee got a medium one and a fast one for his review they must be making the fast version as well.

Also GQS has the fast version l believe.

Still not heard from anyone with the high torque version though.

• 1 month later...

It's sounds as you have nothing negative to say about the GW18 so far.....

but

also nothing positive

If you drove other wheels since january 31th, so maybe the GW18 is to heavy and or to big for what you use it.

The question is then: What are you using your wheel for so far.

Unfortunately I live in very densely populated cities (both cities).  I live in Hong Kong half the time and Shenzhen half the time.  I have a tech startup business in Shenzhen (completely unrelated to electric unicycles).  I am juggling between being very busy with the company and with multiple hobbies including eucs.  Lately been really into quadcopters (drones).  I have a set of gw10, gw14v1, gw14v2, gw18 in both cities (for a total of 8 eucs) but embarassingly I don't have much time to ride any of them.  My problem is that I have to actually take the wheel and put it in my car and drive to a special place in order to ride them (in both cities).  I envy those of you who live in places where you can just ride from home to anywhere whenever.  :P

The GW10 I sometimes ride downstairs at my apartment in Shenzhen because of its ability to go slow and high maneuverability among pedestrians.  The GW18 is way too big for that, and as mentioned in the last post I can only ride it if I load it up in my car and drive to somewhere special to let me ride it.  I will try to do that soon though.  Perhaps tomorrow ("fast type" in SZ).  I think mainly I'll be testing the acceleration (comparing it to the middle type that I rode in HK two months ago)  as I do not intend to ride it to 40 km/h.  I have rode the middle type to 30 km/h (via GPS app measurements).

Ok Tom I just went out for a night ride on the "fast type" GW18 (in SZ).  I still cannot feel any difference between the "fast type" and (what I remember of) the "middle type".  I was mainly testing the acceleration and it feels about the same.  I did not test the top speed because I'm not feeling lucky.  :P

I'll have to test the "middle type" in HK once again to refresh my memory since it's been two months since I last rode that heh.

Thanks arbee: So far I am very happy with the "middle" typ and have nothing to complain about (technical).

So you too as you wrote.

I still think it is a fantastic wheel, as long:

- you do not have to carry it

- have space to drive/handle it

Until today I never had to jump off and hope it will be so in the future...I would not enjoy to indroduce it to my leg.

Okay so I tested the "middle type" again today.  This means I've tested both versions within a period of 3 days.  I would still have to say I can't really tell any difference between the two (including acceleration).  Either both of them feel the same at lower speeds or somehow both of mine are the same version as a mistake.

No I don't have a trolley. I have 5 meters from my workshop to my car's trunk and I do not us my "quality" wheels to commute or so.

So the real problem here is you are not parking far enough away....park further... LOL

Archived