Gotway Mten3 Tube Replacement

25 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Please excuse me for one off the topic post. I have a burning question to all knowing, the most wise, @Hunka Hunka Burning Love.  Us mortorcylists have a saying "Four wheels move your body and two wheels move your Soul."  What say you to complete the statement.  Four wheels move your body and one wheel move _____."  Please fill in the blank.  I'm sure you will knock this question out of the park with an authority... Waiting for an answer, oh wise one...

Have you ever read @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's signature? He already has an ego sized for a football stadium. Now where are we going to stuff his ego :confused1:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

Please excuse me for one off the topic post. I have a burning question to all knowing, the most wise, @Hunka Hunka Burning Love.  Us mortorcylists have a saying "Four wheels move your body and two wheels move your Soul."  What say you to complete the statement.  Four wheels move your body and one wheel move _____."  Please fill in the blank.  I'm sure you will knock this question out of the park with an authority... Waiting for an answer, oh wise one...

My supreme wisdom is surely powerful enough to keep my stadium sized, self-actualized ego in check.  :innocent1:  With great power comes great responsibility according to some script writer from "Spiderman" so I must wield this mighty burden of awesomeness wisely.  Maslow1 once wrote about a few of my characteristics, but I still dispute numbers 4, 10, and 12 which I believe he was completely out to lunch about.  Poor fellow.  So revered and often quoted yet so misguided.  :efef2e0fff:

1. Maslow, what the heck made him think he was so smart?

In regards to your query, fine sir, the answer is obviously "Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul, and one wheel allows you to move while drinking a coffee and eating a cruller with the other hand!" 

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Have you ever read @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's signature? He already has an ego sized for a football stadium. Now where are we going to stuff his ego :confused1:

:efef62fc70:  Hi, I'm right here.  I can read you still.  Hi.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My supreme wisdom is surely powerful enough to keep my football sized, self-actualized ego in check.  :innocent1:  With great power comes great responsibility according to some script writer from "Spiderman" so I must wield this mighty burden of awesomeness wisely.  Maslow1 once wrote about a few of my characteristics, but I still dispute numbers 4, 10, and 12 which I believe he was completely out to lunch about.  Poor fellow.  So revered and often quoted yet so misguided.  :efef2e0fff:

1. Maslow, who the heck made him think he's was so smart?

In regards to your query, fine sir, the answer is obviously "Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul, and one wheel allows you to move while drinking a coffee and eating a cruller with the other hand!" 

:roflmao: Never a disappointment. OK, you can have your stadium.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love good sir, love your answer... was expecting something more refined or more elegant maybe...

Refined and elegant ain't free.   $65.99 for the first reply, $54.43 thereafter.  I ain't running no free Zen quote clinic here.   I may be somewhat self-actualized, but I gottas eat too.  :popcorn:  (See Marty, that's how it's done.  I still can't believe you haven't released those long-awaited T-Shirts I've been telling you to!)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My supreme wisdom is surely powerful enough to keep my football sized, self-actualized ego in check.  :innocent1:  With great power comes great responsibility according to some script writer from "Spiderman" so I must wield this mighty burden of awesomeness wisely.  Maslow1 once wrote about a few of my characteristics, but I still dispute numbers 4, 10, and 12 which I believe he was completely out to lunch about.  Poor fellow.  So revered and often quoted yet so misguided.  :efef2e0fff:

1. Maslow, what the heck made him think he's was so smart?

Surely you also have trouble with Number 2. Everyone knows that you know that you have no flaws. You know :efefe00999:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When you have no flaws, it's pretty easy to pass Number 2.  Also if you eat a tub of GravitosTM there is pretty much no effort if you know what I mean.  :pooping:

(See how I slid that product endorsement in there, Marty?  Work on that Backe Athletics gear endorsement too!)

• Like 2

On 1/23/2018 at 4:03 PM, houseofjob said:

My MTen3 w/ alternative Mini/Mini Pro tread tire (I've since thrown away my stock tire and ordered a spare of these!):

IY1ZUNZ.jpg

(unfortunately the center is still smooth, has no tread, but way better than the stock, which tends to pull left and right in succession, especially at speed.... though the small footprint of the overall 70/65-6.5 tire sizing can still catch on street pavement grooves, regardless of tread pattern).

Thanks for the recommendation.  I went and ordered the "type 2" tire from AliExpress for $19 shipped after the $4 coupon discount. 

Edited by GQS

26 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, multiple dealers sell, my link is on this thread, previous page.

Much appreciated!  Thanks for alerting us to the new tire type, the stock one is terrible, I can't wait to throw it into the fire.  Do you still use a tube or did you already convert to tubeless.  My tube blew up so I am forced to convert to tubeless now when I get the new tire in.

On 4/9/2018 at 4:56 PM, trya said:

here is the picture of my punctured MTen3 tire - to my surprise, the hole is verysmall, but slime didn't work. It is also in a kind of unusual place, it looks like it was not really a puncture but rather some kind of "wear"? What do experts say? On the picture you see the slime bubble, but the actual hole looks more like a 2-3mm cut.

r5eRctM.jpg

Your tube was probably twisted when inflated and this was facing outwards when a thorn punctured it.  My mSuper innertubes are twisted all over.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GQS said:

Much appreciated!  Thanks for alerting us to the new tire type, the stock one is terrible, I can't wait to throw it into the fire.  Do you still use a tube or did you already convert to tubeless.  My tube blew up so I am forced to convert to tubeless now when I get the new tire in.

I never succeeded with going tubeless on the MTen3.

If you read through this thread, I have a link to spare inner tubes, handy as a backup even if you do decide to go tubeless.

On 11/15/2017 at 7:52 PM, houseofjob said:

Seems best to look for 10" x 2" or 10" x 2.125" "Self Balancing Hoverboard Inner Tubes".

Try:

10" x 2.125" [1] [2]

10" x 2" / 2.125" [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

10" x 2.5" [1]

... and these fit the bill (size), but don't seem to feature the anti-slip ridges that the stock CYT MTen3 inner tubes (or the ones above) do:

Yuan Xing 10" x 2.125" [1]

10" x 2.125" [1] [2]

This is a really comprehensive list of 10" innertubes with metal valve stems that point parallel to the rim versus perpendicular to it.  .  Thanks for these links, it should be very helpful to everyone, IMO the inner tubes will all have problems when mated with the stock mten3 tire.  Between the thinness of the outer tire for puncture, the abrasion of the inner tube against the outer tire for wear induced tears, and proneness of the metal valve stem catching and tearing the underlying rubber inner tube, the original setup is not idea.  Although initially i had a puncture, it appears that i have the same issue with the metal stem area ripping out (and I did not use any valve stem attachments).  I'm ready to try the tubeless route if I have to change out the tire anyways.  But will keep this as a handy backup just in case.  Your rock houseofjob. 

The short tubeless valve stem that they used in the Gotway video for mten3 tubeless conversion looked shorter than what is available here.  I wonder if they have a different one over there. 

Edited by GQS
  • Upvote 1

@GQS this is the valve stem, same as the one for a Mini / Mini Pro (as the tires are also sourced from that PEV), and it does fit, but FWIW, I couldn't get a seal across the whole system, valve + tubeless tire.

https://more4mini.com/collections/mini-pro-tires/products/valve-for-mini-pro-tire

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@GQS this is the valve stem, same as the one for a Mini / Mini Pro (as the tires are also sourced from that PEV), and it does fit, but FWIW, I couldn't get a seal across the whole system, valve + tubeless tire.

https://more4mini.com/collections/mini-pro-tires/products/valve-for-mini-pro-tire

I wonder if the Segway MiniPro Valve Stem is shorter, the top rubber is definitely different. 

Did you use tire lube on the bead?  Did you use a compressor versus a hand pump?  I found it helpful as the lube acts as a sealant temporarily and you need a lot of air very quickly to form a seal, a hand pump won't do it.

Edited by GQS

31 minutes ago, GQS said:

I wonder if the Segway MiniPro Valve Stem is shorter, the top rubber is definitely different. 

Dunno

Did you use tire lube on the bead?

Yes.

Did you use a compressor versus a hand pump?  I found it helpful as the lube acts as a sealant temporarily and you need a lot of air very quickly to form a seal, a hand pump won't do it.

Floor pump.

Didn't get the feeling it was due to the pump, but I've just resigned myself to the fact my MTen3 will just go on as tubed, which has worked fine, only 1 change so far since buying the first pre-order.

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2017 at 2:38 PM, radial said:

The Mten3 teardown video was useful in getting the wheel disassembled.  There is nothing very complicated involved.  You can do the whole thing with a small / medium Phillips screwdriver for the various screws holding the shells together and a 5mm hex key for the pedal nuts.  I kind of wish I had taken a picture of the wire routing before I took it all apart, but hopefully I can get everything back where it belongs. 

Of course I find the video as soon as I ask.  Here is the teardown video link:

Edited by GQS