Affordable Electric Unicycle for Short Commute

Jesse Wilson

oh yeah, a 16 or 18 inch wheel will be much more forgiving for the pothole/stick/rock you didn't notice. no doubt about that. 

at the same time, the 10 inch wheel will be a bit more jumpy under you, encouraging you to pay more attention to what your doing. 

a valid point tho.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rarely commute on my 14 inchers just for this reason. I've dropped my 16 incher twice and my 18 none at all, but my 14's a bunch of times because they get caught into things my bigger wheels barely notice. A ten incher has got to be like four times less stable, prone to getting caught on the smallest of obstacles.

On 10/30/2017 at 7:35 PM, Jesse Wilson said:

I placed an order for the GotWay Mten3! It's on backorder so I'm not sure when I will get it. I will keep you guys updated on my progress as I practice with it so you know how a newbie will feel using it.

In the end, these are the reasons I chose it over other models.

1. Small size makes it less intimidating and more agile when people may be passing by. It also makes it easier to put under a desk or in a large cabinet.

2. The power allows for quick acceleration and speed on flat surfaces. I live in a very well kept, nice area and there are many smooth surfaces to utilize the some of the speed.

3. You all convinced me it was fun. I hadn't considered that aspect of it when I first was looking for one.

4. It has the ability to stay mounted in small areas. I didn't see videos of that with 14" wheels.

5. I like the challenge of learning to ride it. 

hmm...  For a beginner wheel, I think it is a mistake to go with a 10"...  The 10" is more like a toy.  It has the same 10" wheel as the mini segway's.  Like many have already noted here, you will feel every bump, every pebble, ever seam on the sidewalk.  I think in a few weeks you will probably want a bigger wheel.  

i learned on a 14" and went to a 16" almost immediately.  When I go back to the 14", I couldn't help but think I could have learned quicker on the 16".  

1) the 14" KS is as small as I would go.  agile comes with learning to go slow, that is a skill i picked up after riding on the sidewalk in nyc for a few hours.  it is all twisting of the body.

2) smooth surfaces are not so smooth to the 10"

3) all our wheels are fun, but the 16 and 18 i have is more fun than the 14.

4) again this is a skill you need to learn.  just because you saw a video of marty playing with his 10" doesn't mean you will be able to.  i'll be interested in how easy you pick it up.  going slow is a skill you pick up much later when you learn to go backwards and do the "idling" like with manual unicycling

5) it is a challenge to learn period.  but i would think it would be harder for a beginner to learn the 10".

keep us updated on your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got it Thursday and have about an hour of ride time so far. the first 45 minutes were broken up into small sessions on Thursday and Friday. Today I was on for probably 30 minutes and the last 10 minutes I've been circling the pathways and hallways of my apartment complex.

I fell on my butt about at about 45 minutes of practice in (basically a bit after I stopped using the rail for balance) and realized I probably need a helmet and definitely wrist guards. I didn't hurt myself, but a fall is a fall even if I was going 1mph haha.

It's scary and I feel every bump. Learning to dismount when you lose balance without tipping the machine is vital to avoid flip outs. Looking up makes it much easier to balance. Turning, stopping, and accelerating are all intuitive, but accelerating out of a 90 degree hallway turn is still a bit scary. I feel like there is no room to mess up on these or else you run into a wall or worse. It's definitely not consumer friendly. I expect 2 wheelers to be more compatible with a larger market. Going slow is just the same as going fast, but less scary and you feel the bumps more going fast. I think I went 12-15mph for a short duration, but turning is scary, especially while going fast because the wheel can accelerate different to the direction of your weight if you're not careful.

I don't feel confident enough to ride this to work yet. Maybe next week.

As of now I wouldn't recommend this as a commuter wheel, but this opinion might change as I get more comfortable.

As for a beginner wheel, it's fine. Just know that it's going to take maybe an hour before you can ride without a hand rail assistance. 

My girlfriend was supposed to record, but I think she accidently hit the stop recording button so I only have about 2 seconds of video. It would have been very boring to watch as it was just me going back and forth next to a hand rail for the first 40 minutes broken up into a couple of days.

I don't actually wear my shoes like this, but I didn't tie them yet haha?ui=2&ik=4146219cef&view=fimg&th=15fd289fe725e639&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ-Eo3LnSBzVERcrUcJDeUHsm3AOfbZJ-0LmGGN41JGMeiRg23eekjne4LxBCgSd4JQPelUwrNYju3hRcMmFGq_Cpq-d0SBDR35IBanB_MuHDuuH9ciUtG7mGE8&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1511065790580&rm=15fd289fe725e639&zw&atsh=1

2 hours ago, Jesse Wilson said:

My shin muscles are kinda sore, is that normal?

YES :D  If that's all that's sore then you're ahead of the game.

After riding more, turning is easy and I can turn around in a small hallway. Going slow is extremely easy and pretty safe. Going fast is scary if the road isn't perfecting consistent. Getting the machine to tilt back is too much fun right now. I'm going to hate it later. It is very maneuverable. People will start to over react to it if you're going fast so I slow down way before I get to them to make them feel safe. I can pass by strangers super close going the same speed as walking. So if I'm going slow people feel safe. The light is useful. It takes 4 seconds to cross a large intersection. I wouldn't ride this next to a busy street with cars passing by because it still seems sketchy going the tilt back speed limit. For my purposes, I think it will work great for commuting. Trying to cary it isn't glamorous and I haven't found a solution for that.

The app is in Chinese and useless to me, but I want to change the top speed and LED light settings. Any tips?

37 minutes ago, Jesse Wilson said:

After riding more, turning is easy and I can turn around in a small hallway. Going slow is extremely easy and pretty safe. Going fast is scary if the road isn't perfecting consistent. Getting the machine to tilt back is too much fun right now. I'm going to hate it later. It is very maneuverable. People will start to over react to it if you're going fast so I slow down way before I get to them to make them feel safe. I can pass by strangers super close going the same speed as walking. So if I'm going slow people feel safe. The light is useful. It takes 4 seconds to cross a large intersection. I wouldn't ride this next to a busy street with cars passing by because it still seems sketchy going the tilt back speed limit. For my purposes, I think it will work great for commuting. Trying to cary it isn't glamorous and I haven't found a solution for that.

The app is in Chinese and useless to me, but I want to change the top speed and LED light settings. Any tips?

You've picked up the skills fast. You have the Mten3 right? What kind of Phone do you have?

There are no controls for the Mten3 top LEDs. For the front LED, the power power button turns it on with one press, The next press makes it blink. The next press turns if back off.

When you run the app, you'll eventually want to turn the 1st and 2nd alarms off, and disable tilt-back. You'll never go fast enough on this wheel to need tilt-back.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You've picked up the skills fast. You have the Mten3 right? What kind of Phone do you have?

There are no controls for the Mten3 top LEDs. For the front LED, the power power button turns it on with one press, The next press makes it blink. The next press turns if back off.

When you run the app, you'll eventually want to turn the 1st and 2nd alarms off, and disable tilt-back. You'll never go fast enough on this wheel to need tilt-back.

Thanks, but not without injury. I did bruise myself pretty bad 2 days ago when the machine spun around and hit me. It is the Mten3 and I have the iPhone 7.

Hopefully I can find a way to run the app in English or get my brother in law to help read it haha

6 minutes ago, Jesse Wilson said:

Thanks, but not without injury. I did bruise myself pretty bad 2 days ago when the machine spun around and hit me. It is the Mten3 and I have the iPhone 7.

Hopefully I can find a way to run the app in English or get my brother in law to help read it haha

Or if you know anyone who has an Android phone or Android tablet, have them install the non-social Gotway app from the Download section of this Forum. It works great, and is in English. For the MTen3 you only need it once to disable tilt-back and turn off the 1st & 2nd alarms. Oh, the wheel probably comes in soft mode. Switch to Hard mode for a funner experience.

9 minutes ago, Jesse Wilson said:

One other option, although you probably don't want to spend another $30, you can buy a disposable Android phone from Walmart (LG seems to work fine) and use that to control and monitor the wheel.

Archived