Affordable Electric Unicycle for Short Commute

Jesse Wilson

1 hour ago, Jesse Wilson said:

I appreciate all the advice! I weigh 175 lbs at 6ft tall. I want a unicycle because it's a pain taking my car for a walkable distance that I don't feel like walking in the morning. Scooters and skateboards are hard to carry in the office due to size and I hate storing and locking my bike up. 14" unicycles are the only options available for what I want.

I'm disappointed about the fact that it's hard to go 15mph on the KS14B. If I do get one now, it will probably be the GotWay MCM4 or the King Song 14D (heavily leaning toward GotWay).

Does a bigger battery help it accelerate faster? I'm not too concerned with travel time.

IMO KS14D is a better wheel in terms of performance, quality and features than the MCM4, it's probably the best 14-incher currently available. Inmotion v5f+ would be my second choice.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all comes down to economics and perspective. Many who espouse bigger/faster/costlier don't actually ride much faster than 15mph most of the time. Remember, your skill level, terrain and surface conditions will limit your speed more than the wheel; many locations in the US may lack the extended park trails and well-trained drivers that European riders have become accustomed to. 

If you have money to spend, then spend the money. If you don't, maybe this will help:

$400 or less: Ninebot C+ 16" (good), small battery (5-10 miles), weak motor (500w, 12-13mph tops), no resale value, perfectly good hand-me-down or emergency backup. Three months use before you are bored with it and want a bigger wheel, assuming you survive.

$639: Ninebot E+ 16" (better), small-ish battery (10-15 miles), weak motor (550w, 13-15mph tops), limited resale value (still popular), perfectly good hand-me-down or backup. Six months use before you are bored with it and want a bigger wheel, assuming you survive.

Both Ninebots are easy to swap batteries on with simple mods, however the motors are weaker than the competition. Not an issue at first on level terrain. 

$800: KS14D (14" not ideal), average battery (15-20 miles?), average motor (800w, 18-20mph), good resale value, perfectly good second wheel. Three months use before you want a bigger wheel, assuming you survive.

$1000: Inmotion V8: sold out in the US, possible re-release as Solowheel at (much) higher price.

>$1000 (and you're determined to ride no matter what it takes): take your pick of any Kingsong or Gotway, or order a Rockwell GT16 from China, or wait for the Ninebot Z in (early?) 2018.

Someone just posted this in another thread. Nice first impression of flying through the cityscape on a 14D. Does this not make you want to get one?:efee8319ab:

(To be fair, upselling is happening here. But there's a good reason for that! It's just the best and natural thing to do, if you can and want, with the current market. That's why so many people say the same.)

I don't know what the long term reliability of the IPS i5 is like,  but for a basic A to B, car to office ride that is light, small, and capable it might be worth having on the consideration list.  Maybe @Tilmann can comment on what he thinks of it so far.  You can even stash it in a backpack!

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-ips-i5-245wh-feather-weight/

Slow, though. 20 km/h. Brrrrrr....

It's such a cool wheel, but it's a niche in a niche market. Only worth it if you really value the portability and small size and low weight (golden for putting in a backpack!), imho. No general purpose option, I think. (I recently wished I had one, to go to the train station with my backpack, in which it could be put for the rest of the day and essentially forgotten about.)

It sounds like he wants a low cost option to mainly go from car to office as in last mile vehicle so maybe the i5 is the perfect fit for a one mile ride.  In addition usually there are pedestrians so sub-20 kph might be fine.  Just like a Ninebot!  ^_^  The i5 is so slim and low profile as well that you can't really beat the portability of it.  When I lug my 27 pound Ninebot around it's a bit of a workout if I need to carry it where you aren't allowed to ride.  There's no way I am putting it into a backpack.

17 hours ago, Jesse Wilson said:

Thank you, but that's a 16 inch wheel. Do you know where I can get a King Song 14C?

There is one in the private sales section, it's an old post but has an email address in it.  

But it would be better to buy a new one from a US dealer to get the warranty.  Only a little more money, but https://www.ewheels.com/ has them in stock, I think.

23 hours ago, Keith said:

The KS-14C is discontinued. You would need to look for a 2nd hand one or old stock. 30Km/h and cheap (unless 2nd hand) do not go together, certainly not if you want fast cheap and safe in the same sentence! The IPS LHOTZ as suggested by @steve454 above is cheap and has good safety reputation- fast is always safer and easier on a bigger wheel as it’s less effected by potholes etc.

Why 14”? If it is for portability and storage and short distances on smooth surfaces then you might possibly want to look at the even smaller Gotway Mten3, Perhaps @Marty Backe can chip in with what it would be like as a beginners wheel? Meanwhile he has written extensively about it here:

I had no idea this could go 25mph... I love that is has quick acceleration. I have added this to my list of EUCs that I would want and I think this is on the top of the list due to portability.

Jesse said that the distance will be on a straight line on good pavement for 1 mile. 10-14 inch wheels will be just fine. Recommending 16inches, V8s, 14Ds, etc. is overkill for this task. Virtually any EUC will handle this distance fine. KS 14B battery will be plenty enough, I regularly rode 5 miles uphills/downhills with it.

Now of course, if Jesse is going to use EUCs for other routes beyond several miles as well, then yeah I can understand suggesting more powerful wheels.

For me it was difficult to spend 400-500 usd for a starter wheel, because I was unsure if it will fit my needs. Once I found out how awesome EUCs are after actually riding them, spending more money on the second EUC was much more easy. Yes, in hindsight buying V8 as my first wheel would have saved me some money, but at least I tested the unknown waters with relatively little money.

I guess as seasoned riders we just see so much more potential for riding enjoyment on these wheels therefore we naturally think everyone needs to purchase a more capable wheel as they likely will want to ride more.  Often it's better to invest a little more money for a quality wheel that can go greater distances and tackle more varied terrain to avoid needing to spend even more money to upgrade later on.  For some people though they just need a quick A to B wheel on a budget so maybe the more basic wheels fit the bill perfectly while minimizing carrying weight.

For example, say for an university student, they might just need a light wheel they can throw into a backpack to get from class to class.  Sometimes a flight of stairs might be involved or a cramped lecture hall.  Where can you stash a KS16S in that situation?  I've been in some halls where they pack you in like sardines so a larger wheel would not be a good idea.  On the other hand, a slim IPS i5 that doesn't weigh that much might be perfect.   If they want to pursue riding in their off time through parks and up mountains, then getting a secondary wheel makes sense.

I've almost made up my mind on the GotWay Mten3 512wh for $925. It's expensive, but if you guys are right about how fun these are, then it will be worth it. I'm pretty athletic and coordinated so I think I can handle the squirrellness with practice. I may purchase it today.

56 minutes ago, Jesse Wilson said:

I've almost made up my mind on the GotWay Mten3 512wh for $925. It's expensive, but if you guys are right about how fun these are, then it will be worth it. I'm pretty athletic and coordinated so I think I can handle the squirrellness with practice. I may purchase it today.

I think it may be more difficult to learn on, but everyone is different. Many people pick up riding skills much quicker than others.

The Mten3 is the funnest wheel that I've ever ridden and I enjoy mine just about every day. And it's practical too. I will ride it to the store or town center to pickup a meal, etc. An unconstrained 18 mile range is nothing to sneeze at for such a small wheel. And I think it's a very safe wheel because of the extraordinary amount of power in this small package. You will never need to worry about it cutting out on you. 

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Keep in mind that with the 10" wheel you have to be a little more careful about hitting obstacles like curb bumps, sidewalk irregularities, etc as a larger diameter wheel that's heavier can plow over them a bit easier.

But also keep in mind that it's very easy (and fun) to dodge said obstacles ;) 

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love I was wondering the same thing. Let's assume, that because he knows no different, he will learn it and be set, with a highly recommend and capable wheel. 

By that I mean, I learned on a 14" and people said it would have been easier to learn on a 16".  But I learned anyway.  Whether it would have taken me a day or two less on a 16" , I'll never know.  But I can ride now, so it's done.  If being a 10" learner takes him two more days, what does it matter.  By that time in your training , you're almost there anyway, so you're already beginning to have fun.

so I say GO FOR IT!

ONE HUGE WARNING:

The smaller the wheel the larger, obstacles are, relative to the wheel.  Run over a 2" Rock on an 18" and you wobble, run over a 2" Rock on a 10" and it will stop, but you won't,  if you weren't prepared for it, I know, I've seen me do it (on a 14"). Did it yesterday infact. So all the warning about a 14" twitchy and darty, etc, apply more so to a 10". @Marty Backe is a very experienced rider, so he can basically ride anything, hell , he practically owns everything.

GET SOME ROLLEBLADE PADS AND WEAR THEM, ESPECIALLY THE WRIST PADS.  YOU'LL THANK ME.

11 minutes ago, Smoother said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love I was wondering the same thing. Let's assume, that because he knows no different, he will learn it and be set, with a highly recommend and capable wheel. 

By that I mean, I learned on a 14" and people said it would have been easier to learn on a 16".  But I learned anyway.  Whether it would have taken me a day or two less on a 16" , I'll never know.  But I can ride now, so it's done.  If being a 10" learner takes him two more days, what does it matter.  By that time in your training , you're almost there anyway, so you're already beginning to have fun.

so I say GO FOR IT!

ONE HUGE WARNING:

The smaller the wheel the larger, obstacles are, relative to the wheel.  Run over a 2" Rock on an 18" and you wobble, run over a 2" Rock on a 10" and it will stop, but you won't,  if you weren't prepared for it, I know, I've seen me do it (on a 14"). Did it yesterday infact. So all the warning about a 14" twitchy and darty, etc, apply more so to a 10". @Marty Backe is a very experienced rider, so he can basically ride anything, hell , he practically owns everything.

GET SOME ROLLEBLADE PADS AND WEAR THEM, ESPECIALLY THE WRIST PADS.  YOU'LL THANK ME.

I wish. I have an OK stash of wheels, but I feel somewhat lacking now because I don't own a Telsa, GT16, KS16S or KS18S. It's rather depressing ;)

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I wish. I have an OK stash of wheels, but I feel somewhat lacking now because I don't own a Telsa, GT16, KS16S or KS18S. It's rather depressing ;)

Oh dear.  We better have a whip 'round for you.  Can't have that. ?

(Whip 'round = collection)

1 hour ago, Jesse Wilson said:

Haha, I think its advertised (and actually realistic) speed put an mten3 sparkle in your eyes. Right? :efee8319ab: Be aware that above 15 or 20 km/h, on a ten inch wheel, any unexpected or unseen slightest bump means you kiss the concrete. You can't afford a moment of inattention then. But if @Marty Backe thinks it's a wheel suitable for a beginner, it must be.

I think a 14D (also cheaper) is a better overall/general purpose package, but if you feel like getting the mten3, do it! A big part of a purchasing choice is your intuition. And it's certainly a fun wheel, from what everyone here says. Also, a good excuse to get a second, bigger wheel (16,18) soon after:efeebb3acc: Which might be a better end result than the 14D and then nothing, or a 14 and 16 incher, or so.

18 minutes ago, Smoother said:

so I say GO FOR IT!

It would be interesting to see how a newbie does learning on a 10" wheel.  I had a heck of a time learning on my generic 14" so I don't know if a smaller wheel would be even harder.  The Ninebot One E+ 16" was like a cakewalk to get used to.  Maybe it was the heft that made it feel easier to ride.  :confused1:  It definitely seems to roll over bumps a lot better than my old wheel.  I've never ridden an Mten so I'm just theorizing how it would be like.  Maybe it will be fine?

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Haha, I think its advertised (and actually realistic) speed put an mten3 sparkle in your eyes. Right? :efee8319ab: Be aware that above 15 or 20 km/h, on a ten inch wheel, any unexpected or unseen slightest bump means you kiss the concrete. You can't afford a moment of inattention then. But if @Marty Backe thinks it's a wheel suitable for a beginner, it must be.

I think a 14D (also cheaper) is a better overall/general purpose package, but if you feel like getting the mten3, do it! A big part of a purchasing choice is your intuition. And it's certainly a fun wheel, from what everyone here says. Also, a good excuse to get a second, bigger wheel (16,18) soon after:efeebb3acc: Which might be a better end result than the 14D and then nothing, or a 14 and 16 incher, or so.

I agree with everything you said, particularly regards the 14D. One small elaboration; I don't think the Mten3 is an ideal beginner wheel. But @Jesse Wilson seems very interested in it and said he's very athletic. He seems to be going into the decision with both eyes open. So given that, I don't think that he'll be disappointed.

For all other newbies that may read this, I actually consider the Mten3 more of an advanced wheel in terms of skills required to ride it. Once you gain those skills, man is it a great wheel :w00t2:

12 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Oh dear.  We better have a whip 'round for you.  Can't have that. ?

(Whip 'round = collection)

Thanks for that definition - otherwise I had know idea what you just said :blink1:  Maybe I should start a Go Fund Me account. Everyone else seems to be doing it ;)

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

On the other hand, if you learn on an mten3, any other wheel will be a piece of cake later. Damn this thread, it makes me want the thing even more...

What ARE you waiting for?????????

Just give into the darkside, meep.  You know you want it.  It's going to happen sooner or later.  :popcorn:  I am the evil enabler incarnate!  :whistling:

I just happen to have a handy link for the Gotway Rocket!

https://www.ewheels.com/product/gotway-mten3-512-800w-motor/

EDIT:  Aw man, no shipping to Germany?  @Jason McNeil - no love for the Germans?

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

What ARE you waiting for?????????

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Just give into the darkside, meep.

Just emailed Ian to see when the new GWs would arrive in Euroland. Pure curiosity... definitely only pure curiosity, I'm telling you... I promise. This is it for me on the mten3 topic, don't want to derail this thread further.

Archived