guyr

Horrific initial experience with EUC

Bought my first electric unicycle - Ninebot One C+ (£400). It arrived on Monday

The tyres arrived at a low pressure but perfectly ride-able. I'd done some reading on this forum in advance and it suggested that learning to ride on less inflated tyres would be easier. Potentially true, but it turns out that does NOT outweigh the risks... (Read on)

I went out and obsessively practised for about an hour. By the end of that, I was able to stand and go in a straight line for about 50m. But my unicycle was making a thumping noise like it had a flat tyre...

Went back to check it and the valve had gone INTO the tyre and got VERY stuck. Impossible to pull back out with my hands or any tool I have. 

Went to a couple of bike shops - no one was really interested and no one wanted to help sadly. 

After a lot of searching I decided the best option was to invest in some tyre levers and hex keys, open up the ninebot and try to fix it myself.

SUCCESS. I opened it and found the inner tube was completely mangled into a small part of the tyre, and when I got the tyre off, the valve came loose. I untangled the inner tube and pumped it a bit to restore its shape, before putting it back into the tyre and putting the tyre back on. Wahay. Super excited to be able to get on it again... I pumped up the tyre to about 40 PSI and started the long job of closing the Ninebot up again. (Total time to open, fix and close up again: about 2 hrs - I am inexperienced...)

Once finally closed, I give the wheel a squeeze. Crud. It's completely flat. The inner tube isn't holding any air. Great. 

So two options: buy some tyre patches (and open it all up again to apply them), or get some 'slime'. Slime has a lot of good press on here and I thought I could apply it without opening up the ninebot again, so I went and ordered it off Amazon... Just my luck the package never arrives but shows as delivered. No card left and nothing with neighbours. Not giving up, I call around every bike shop near me, find one that stocks slime, go and purchase it. 

Return to ninebot with slime. Very excited. Ready to put slime in but can't get the bloody valve core out of the valve. Spent an hour trying to do that. Eventually decided I'm going to have to start dismantling it again to get sufficient access to the valve. Start opening it up and about halfway through taking stuff off the valve is accessible enough to remove the core. SUCCESS. Plug in the slime, fill it with slime. Follow the instructions perfectly. Put the valve core back in and pump it up. 

...... HSSSSSSSS

The slime didn't bloody work.

Add more slime and repeat.

Still doesn't hold air.

Re-pump 3 times and spin the wheel loads just in case slime hadn't spread around enough.

Still doesn't hold air. 

Sooooo it's 3 days after my ninebot arrived, 3 long days and nights trying to fix it, and I still can't bloody use the thing. 

---

I don't blame anyone but myself really because I should pumped it before riding it or stopped riding much sooner to pump it up. 

But thought I'd share my experience because it was stories like this that helped me to make the purchase decision and to at least make progress towards repairing it in the first place. 

So.....  does anyone have any spare Ninebot One 16" inner tubes and/or tyres in the UK that I could purchase to try and get this thing working again ASAP?

Thanks!

That the slime did not work is probably because its not your tire, that has a leak!

I would suspect that where the vent is split from the inner tube...because all the fumbling had defect it.

The place where the vent/valve is sitting is the most sensitive place....and on this slime doesn’t help a bit.

Bummer, how disappointing!  Once you replace the tube and get the pressure up to 35 psi or so, you'll be back in business.  At least you are no stranger to disassembly now so the process should go smoothly.  

Aw man :cry2: that's a classic Ninebot newb mistake.  I don't know why Ninebot doesn't at least fill these to like 40 psi at the factory to avoid something like this happening.  Someone else did the exact same thing a few months ago in the summer on the forum. 

Rule number one: First thing to do is to check the air pressure and fill up the tire.  They come with like 15 psi from the factory.  I know there are some postings about how easier it is to learn on a slightly lower pressure, but it's better to fill it up at least to 35-40 psi.  I learned on my 14" generic which had a rock hard tire pressure, and while it was very difficult, it still was manageable so I bet a 16" Ninebot with 45-50 psi would be just fine.  I ride with 55-60 psi on mine now.  With the heavier wheels, I don't think the softer air pressure likely makes a huge difference.

I don't know if the photos are just generic ones as the bent air valve looks to be pointing in the wrong direction, but here's one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninebot-One-Electric-Unicycle-Parts-Inner-Tube-Tire-for-Models-C-C-E-E-A1-S2-/222613066607

One more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tube-Original-Replacement-Ninebot-One-C-E-Series-Tire-Tube/152685262131

https://hoodriderz.com/products/ninebot-one-inner-tube

https://www.passiongadgets.com/ninebot-one-16-inch-inner-tube-replacement-tire/

https://royalbrinkman.com/inner-tube-ninebot-one-w00001280

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/inner-tube-and-outer-tyer-for-Ninebot-One-C-E-A1-S2-solo-wheel-scooter/32823373717.html

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

3 hours ago, guyr said:

Bought my first electric unicycle - Ninebot One C+ (£400). It arrived on Monday

The tyres arrived at a low pressure but perfectly ride-able. I'd done some reading on this forum in advance and it suggested that learning to ride on less inflated tyres would be easier. Potentially true, but it turns out that does NOT outweigh the risks... (Read on)

I went out and obsessively practised for about an hour. By the end of that, I was able to stand and go in a straight line for about 50m. But my unicycle was making a thumping noise like it had a flat tyre...

Went back to check it and the valve had gone INTO the tyre and got VERY stuck. Impossible to pull back out with my hands or any tool I have. 

Went to a couple of bike shops - no one was really interested and no one wanted to help sadly. 

After a lot of searching I decided the best option was to invest in some tyre levers and hex keys, open up the ninebot and try to fix it myself.

SUCCESS. I opened it and found the inner tube was completely mangled into a small part of the tyre, and when I got the tyre off, the valve came loose. I untangled the inner tube and pumped it a bit to restore its shape, before putting it back into the tyre and putting the tyre back on. Wahay. Super excited to be able to get on it again... I pumped up the tyre to about 40 PSI and started the long job of closing the Ninebot up again. (Total time to open, fix and close up again: about 2 hrs - I am inexperienced...)

Once finally closed, I give the wheel a squeeze. Crud. It's completely flat. The inner tube isn't holding any air. Great. 

So two options: buy some tyre patches (and open it all up again to apply them), or get some 'slime'. Slime has a lot of good press on here and I thought I could apply it without opening up the ninebot again, so I went and ordered it off Amazon... Just my luck the package never arrives but shows as delivered. No card left and nothing with neighbours. Not giving up, I call around every bike shop near me, find one that stocks slime, go and purchase it. 

Return to ninebot with slime. Very excited. Ready to put slime in but can't get the bloody valve core out of the valve. Spent an hour trying to do that. Eventually decided I'm going to have to start dismantling it again to get sufficient access to the valve. Start opening it up and about halfway through taking stuff off the valve is accessible enough to remove the core. SUCCESS. Plug in the slime, fill it with slime. Follow the instructions perfectly. Put the valve core back in and pump it up. 

...... HSSSSSSSS

The slime didn't bloody work.

Add more slime and repeat.

Still doesn't hold air.

Re-pump 3 times and spin the wheel loads just in case slime hadn't spread around enough.

Still doesn't hold air. 

Sooooo it's 3 days after my ninebot arrived, 3 long days and nights trying to fix it, and I still can't bloody use the thing. 

---

I don't blame anyone but myself really because I should pumped it before riding it or stopped riding much sooner to pump it up. 

But thought I'd share my experience because it was stories like this that helped me to make the purchase decision and to at least make progress towards repairing it in the first place. 

So.....  does anyone have any spare Ninebot One 16" inner tubes and/or tyres in the UK that I could purchase to try and get this thing working again ASAP?

Thanks!

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. As others have said, proper air pressure can prevent some flats. During one of our recent group rides someone ran over a very large rock with a tire that had low pressure. It immediately went flat and Slime did not help. He had a snakebite puncture which are two large wounds to the  tube, near the outside. Something Slime can't fix.

I run all my tires between 40 and 60psi.

Doesn't Speedyfeet carry Ninebot supplies?

On 27/10/2017 at 12:04 AM, guyr said:

To answer the original question, it looks like @Jason McNeil’s UK site has a 16” KingSong/IPS inner tube for sale see: https://www.wheelgo.com/product/king-song-14-inner-tube/ I’m not sure if the Ninebot one is any different, this one certainly has the same bent over valve. Maybe Jason or someone else could confirm whether or not the KingSong one will fit?