KS-16S Small Button Green Ring-Light Purpose?

gonnabiff

New KS-16S, arrived yesterday. I cannot figure out the function of this light.

Lights up if deep press the small silver button, which seems to turn on BT (but not the motor). Stays on with a short shallow press whereupon the headlight turns on. Stays on with short shallow press which turns off headlight. BT, DarknessBot connection with iPhone, and music streaming continue uninterrupted with short shallow presses. A long deep press turns off BT and disconnects from iPhone and green light goes out.

BUT, with the correct short deep press, green light will go out while BT remains connected and DarknessBot reports wheel state and music continues streaming.

Green light does NOT turn on when motor button is pressed, even though BT is turned on then and music may stream.

So, green light does not indicate BT connection, does not indicate headlight state, does not indicate music streaming.

What is the green light supposed to show?

19 hours ago, Christoph Zens said:

This button and the green light confuses me as well. Especially when main power is on. Then the head light mode can be changed by a short press of the power button, or the small BT button... 

What headlight modes are available?

2 minutes ago, Xolition said:

What headlight modes are available?

Three headlight modes: sensor-conditional, ON, and OFF.

From my experience, the large motor button turns on the entire unit (BT as well) with the headlight in sensor mode. Cover the sensor with finger (or be in dark) and headlight goes on, uncover sensor or shine flashlight on it and it goes off. The "tail light" (facing behind direction of travel, no matter which edge of wheel faces forward) will always shine red no matter the button or lighting conditions. The headlight on the edge with controls is the first to turn on with button or powering up unit, so even though the wheel is symmetrical in shape and function, that seems the default "front."

But, after first powering up, if you then brief/shallow-press either silver button, headlight turns on no matter the environment. Repeat press turns off headlight. It is not possible to return to sensor mode from buttons alone.

The King Song iOS app can set any of the three modes while wheel is on, but I don't have the app.

The small button green ring light may be lit with headlight off, and dark with headlight on. So what it is intended to indicate is a mystery to me.

I rode for the first time today (in broad daylight) and now have far more to occupy me than playing with button logic : ). But I hope one day to figure it out.

19 hours ago, gonnabiff said:

Three headlight modes: sensor-conditional, ON, and OFF.

From my experience, the large motor button turns on the entire unit (BT as well) with the headlight in sensor mode. Cover the sensor with finger (or be in dark) and headlight goes on, uncover sensor or shine flashlight on it and it goes off. The "tail light" (facing behind direction of travel, no matter which edge of wheel faces forward) will always shine red no matter the button or lighting conditions. The headlight on the edge with controls is the first to turn on with button or powering up unit, so even though the wheel is symmetrical in shape and function, that seems the default "front."

But, after first powering up, if you then brief/shallow-press either silver button, headlight turns on no matter the environment. Repeat press turns off headlight. It is not possible to return to sensor mode from buttons alone.

The King Song iOS app can set any of the three modes while wheel is on, but I don't have the app.

The small button green ring light may be lit with headlight off, and dark with headlight on. So what it is intended to indicate is a mystery to me.

I rode for the first time today (in broad daylight) and now have far more to occupy me than playing with button logic : ). But I hope one day to figure it out.

I think you are right about default direction - buttons in front. I identified it based on the tire. There is an forward direction arrow (as on any bike tire). 

You know what feels disconcerting?

When you forget to turn on your headlight, and so while riding reaching down and hitting the power button to turn on the light. One feels doing this would result in an immediate face plant, but no, the headlight sedately turns on.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

You know what feels disconcerting?

When you forget to turn on your headlight, and so while riding reaching down and hitting the power button to turn on the light. One feels doing this would result in an immediate face plant, but no, the headlight sedately turns on.

But for sure you know, that as long as the wheel is turning, the power button can not shut off the wheel....

Thats why this electronic buttons where a big progress...on old wheels, you had a mechanical button, that, when hit while driving, really could lead to a shut off :-)

But i admit...its feeling not great to play on the power button while driving :-) 

Archived