Anyone else experience having a 16S buck, then is fine for a few seconds, then spins out of control at full speed?

yogurtbink

So I'm a total noob and after much reading and youtube watching, I just got my first EUC (a KS 16S) a few days ago. Having the usual discouraging time learning to ride (but I know I just need to practice), when today (my third day attempting to learn to ride) my 16S did something that I think isn't normal behavior. While rolling it back to a fence I've been learning with, it bucked, then acted normally for the next 5-10 seconds, and then the wheel spun out of control saying "DECELERATE!" until i tilted it sideways and then turned it off like I saw someone do in a video I saw on this forum.

I then reached the fence, turned it back on, rode for a few feet, felt it buck again, rode another couple of feet, and just like it did before, the wheel spun out of control, the difference being that previously i was rolling it so i could pick it up, this time i was standing on it so it shot forward at full speed and spun and bounced uncontrollably for like 10 feet while saying "DECELERATE!" (luckily the basketball court I was practicing in was empty).

Anyone else experience something like that with their 16S? If it helps, here are some specifics as to how I've been "riding" (if you can call flailing around in a herky jerky manner for 10 feet at a time "riding") since I got the 16S:

• It's only my third day trying to ride an EUC
  • the 16S has never had a bad fall (and has extra padding i taped on) until today when it shot forward and spun out of control
  • I'm always moving pretty slowly (in my learning I actually have a hard time keeping up my speed and eventually have to step down because I've slowed down too much)
  • I've only practiced in a flat asphalt basketball court
  • my previous two attempts were at night when it's been relatively cool, today it was around 75°F and not particularly humid
  • I'm not using a leash (instead I practice when nobody's around and taped padding to my 16S)
  • The fence is a crutch I've been using to get my footing and start moving forward, after which I try to veer away (but sometimes I can't)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Did you pick it up when it did this? 

He was trollying it the first time and riding it the second. 

I'm going to say that there is a fault with the wheel and you should contact the seller ASAP. For your sake (and those around you) I would not ride it again. 

Didn't @Circuitmagehave a similar issue with a 16s recently. I recall bucking and runaway wheel spin.

9 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Did you pick it up when it did this? 

The first time it happened I was rolling it to the fence I was practicing with so I was able to pick it up when the wheel started spinning uncontrollably. The second time I was riding it with one hand on a fence and didn't have time to pick it up because it shot out from under me at full speed.

1 minute ago, WARPed1701D said:

He was trollying it the first time and riding it the second. 

I'm going to say that there is a fault with the wheel and you should contact the seller ASAP. For your sake (and those around you) I would not ride it again. 

Didn't @Circuitmagehave a similar issue with a 16s recently. I recall bucking and runaway wheel spin.

That was the thread with the video that showed me I should turn it on its side to stop the wheel, but I think my problem was a little different as my 16S didn't say "overvoltage", just "decelerate". Mine also gave me a warning buck before the wheel spun at full speed, and watching the video in that thread it didn't look like that happened with his wheel. I did contact the seller, so hopefully he knows what to do.

Might be worth checking the firmware is up to date. Jason's KS 16S wheels are right out the factory so I doubt it is old but it couldn't hurt to check. I don't know of any old firmwares that had known bugs in them though so this is an unlikely source of your issues. 

there is one relevant question...

Did the wheel just start this “nonsense” out of the blue? Or was it when you where lifting it up a bit?

For the first-wheel is defect

For the second- can happen, as the S Series Re quite overreactive....

So the main question is: can you still normally try to learn on it...or does it just spin out of control sometimes?

Sorry, just re-read all....ok, it started to do this nonsense on its own.

There is just one idea—the gyro got a problem...perhaps try to recalibrate it, and see how it works then.

Otherwise: warranty

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

there is one relevant question...

Did the wheel just start this “nonsense” out of the blue? Or was it when you where lifting it up a bit?

For the first-wheel is defect

For the second- can happen, as the S Series Re quite overreactive....

So the main question is: can you still normally try to learn on it...or does it just spin out of control sometimes?

the first time it happened (the buck, and then a few seconds later the out of control spinning) it was while I was rolling it back to the fence I was using to learn with. The second time it happened was when I reached the fence and started rolling on it. The only time I lifted it was the first time, *after* it had started spinning uncontrollably. The second time it shot out while I was trying to ride it so I didn't have an opportunity to lift it.

I don't exactly trust it enough to try learning on it. As in, if I were learning to ride a motorcycle and, twice, the wheel started spinning uncontrollably, I think I might maybe not trust that motorcycle anymore. It's disconcerting to think it could shoot out while learning, but it's even possibly more disconcerting to think that it could happen while riding out in the street amongst traffic.

The only positive is that it seems to give a sign that the wheel is about to spin uncontrollably by bucking once a few seconds prior.

Should have bought an ACM, they don't do this ;)

But I'm sure that EWheels will make things right. Good luck. Once you get a good 16S it's a great wheel.

That does sound a bit different than what happened to me. My controller was bad with the "overvoltage" warning, vibrations and then the wheel would go to full speed and the local dealer resolved the problem for me in about 3 weeks.

Since then, I now have over 200 miles on my repaired unit, and have experienced no issues.

Hang in there! It's worth it to get your unit working properly.

On 27/10/2017 at 8:25 PM, yogurtbink said:

Board shipped off to jason/ewheels last night — fingers crossed!

Joey replicated the fault yesterday, it's got to be a faulty gyro sensor. Bad gyros are incredibly rare, we haven't had one before, & the forum's archives don't have many reports either.

What's worrying here is that because of the indeterminacy, it was not detected during QC. Electrical/board problems are overwhelmingly binary, either they work or they don't.

12 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Joey replicated the fault yesterday, it's got to be a faulty gyro sensor. Bad gyros are incredibly rare, we haven't had one before, & the forum's archives don't have many reports either.

What's worrying here is that because of the indeterminacy, it was not detected during QC. Electrical/board problems are overwhelmingly binary, either they work or they don't.

Yes that is like the second time I've heard of a faulty gyro, my own being the first.

10 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Joey replicated the fault yesterday, it's got to be a faulty gyro sensor.

Well I'm glad to hear the problem was replicated — I have to admit I was kind of worried that it wouldn't be replicated and I'd wasted your time.

Hopefully, I'm not having similar bad luck, but it doesn't look promising... I upgraded to a KS14D (with gyro issues :facepalm:). I couldn't trolley the wheel until I calibrated it (using an older Kingsong app). The next day, I couldn't hold it steady to recalibrate (wheel spins full speed at random). I deleted the old app and downloaded a firmware upgrade from the new app, but it's still spinning at full speed intermittently (even while laying on its side).

I'm sure I will get this all worked out eventually, but I can't believe my bad luck. Even if I manage to calibrate the wheel, (I keep holding down the button for 5 seconds, but all it wants to do is spin out of control), I'm afraid this issue could creep back when I least expect it to. (=faceplant! :shock2:)

Archived