GT16: bip when change direction

LEO_LEO

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe try riding for a few kilometres and see if the pendulums still cause the beep.  I wonder if it could be an over-voltage / over-charge situation where the battery is at full charge and the change in direction is bringing the regenerative voltage even higher for a short moment.  Maybe with the battery at 80-90% it might not do it?  It could be like when they warn you not to ride downhill with a fully charged battery.

Well it's worth a try.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Dang the blue GT16 looks nice...

Sure does, the color is velvety in real life...

Adding a 1000 lumen headlight does nothing for the looks though, but it is bloody practical.

14 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I seldom get any beeps when going outdoors. But I suppose it depends on riding style.

When I switched from V1 to V2, I was surprised by beeps now and then. V1 didn't have any power-warnings whatsoever, which isn't very safe ;)

But it was very temporary, I very soon learned to get the same power out of V2 without beeping. Before I tended to just push it violently from standstill to high speed. But doing the push gradually is just as good, but without the transients. I doubt there is even a true difference in acceleration, maybe marginally, but it's less risky and less wasteful. And of course you CAN push, but with the risk of tilt-back if you're on the verge of over-leaning.

Today I hit speed tilt-back :D, which I had set at 42 kph (don't want to go much higher with 90 kg body weight and my backpack on). It kind of surprised me, since I knew I was going fast (got speed beeps), but not that fast. The dangers of being totally alone on a good flat stretch of road. ;) 

Yes I think too it is my riding style. Yesterday I tested the wheel on a uphill road , if I drive starting hard (no too hard sincerely) the wheel go up 40 Amp and so it makes beep (also double beep one time),  if I drive more progressive, I can stay under 40 Amp and go up without beep (but the speed is not an amazing speed) I think I have to adapt my drive to the wheel, also in plain road the wheel can go correctly fast :) .

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe try riding for a few kilometres and see if the pendulums still cause the beep.  I wonder if it could be an over-voltage / over-charge situation where the battery is at full charge and the change in direction is bringing the regenerative voltage even higher for a short moment.  Maybe with the battery at 80-90% it might not do it?  It could be like when they warn you not to ride downhill with a fully charged battery.

I too suppose it, but today with no full battery, testing pendolum hard (no too hard, as in the video) ) the beep arrives , if I am more gentle, it does not beep

The only doubt is if it is right the beep plays at 40 ampere for the Gt16, or if the setting of my wheel is  too careful  (taking for granted too careful not exist...)

3 hours ago, LEO_LEO said:

Yes I think too it is my riding style. Yesterday I tested the wheel on a uphill road , if I drive starting hard (no too hard sincerely) the wheel go up 40 Amp and so it makes beep (also double beep one time),  if I drive more progressive, I can stay under 40 Amp and go up without beep (but the speed is not an amazing speed) I think I have to adapt my drive to the wheel, also in plain road the wheel can go correctly fast :) .

I too suppose it, but today with no full battery, testing pendolum hard (no too hard, as in the video) ) the beep arrives , if I am more gentle, it does not beep

The only doubt is if it is right the beep plays at 40 ampere for the Gt16, or if the setting of my wheel is  too careful  (taking for granted too careful not exist...)

40A @ 84V is 3360W while the motor is certified for 3000W peak (and 2000W sustained), so it's a very good thing there's a warning.

4 minutes ago, Tomek said:

40A @ 84V is 3360W while the motor is certified for 3000W peak (and 2000W sustained), so it's a very good thing there's a warning.

Ok, these are numbers, they don't' lie, I understand , I didn't think it was so easy arrives to 3360 W in a change of direction or going uphill road

:blink1:

1 hour ago, Tomek said:

29 minutes ago, LEO_LEO said:

Ok, these are numbers, they don't' lie, I understand , I didn't think it was so easy arrives to 3360 W in a change of direction or going uphill road

:blink1:

Numbers don't lie, but one has to interpret them right - 84V is the battery voltage and 40A the motor current. voltage and current differs at battery and at motor, one has to multiply the correct pairs of values... ( http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7549-current-demand-versus-battery-voltage/ )

But in high load situations at low speed the currents should converge (and by this the voltage (by higher power dissipation in the motor coils) - and also at higher speeds the voltages converge and by this the currents...), so the value could be not to far from something meaningful.

5 hours ago, LEO_LEO said:

Hmmm maybe check with @Barry Chen to see if that's a normal behaviour.  Maybe it's just particular to the GT V2, but other wheels don't seem to do that when you see people doing the pendulum.  Could it be your control board is a little glitchy?

11 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Hmmm maybe check with @Barry Chen to see if that's a normal behaviour.  Maybe it's just particular to the GT V2, but other wheels don't seem to do that when you see people doing the pendulum.  Could it be your control board is a little glitchy?

Yeah I don't feel my GT16 V2 is that sensitive, so might be good to check.

5 hours ago, LEO_LEO said:

When you start from zero, you get a transient, that is hard to avoid. But as the speed builds a little, you should be able to actually accelerate uphill without beeps - given you've not chosen a brutal incline... :D 

36 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

When you start from zero, you get a transient, that is hard to avoid. But as the speed builds a little, you should be able to actually accelerate uphill without beeps - given you've not chosen a brutal incline... :D 

...mmm... If I can, this night I try to make a video,  if it is not too dark :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Chriull said:

Numbers don't lie, but one has to interpret them right - 84V is the battery voltage and 40A the motor current. voltage and current differs at battery and at motor, one has to multiply the correct pairs of values... ( http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7549-current-demand-versus-battery-voltage/ )

But in high load situations at low speed the currents should converge (and by this the voltage (by higher power dissipation in the motor coils) - and also at higher speeds the voltages converge and by this the currents...), so the value could be not to far from something meaningful.

well, if you look at the complete picture, whatever power is measured at "the battery side" and doesn't get lost as heat goes into the motor. regardless of how current and voltage is distributed across the three coil phases. No idea how much gets lost in the mosfets, but my guess is not more than 10%

39 minutes ago, Tomek said:

well, if you look at the complete picture, whatever power is measured at "the battery side" and doesn't get lost as heat goes into the motor. regardless of how current and voltage is distributed across the three coil phases. No idea how much gets lost in the mosfets, but my guess is not more than 10%

There is no power measured, there is some current measured sonewhere (at the motor), some voltage measured somewhere (at the battery) and multiplied. Thats just two values whithout any context put into a formula...

At least at some special cases this gets near a real power value - but in most cases its just any number...

15 hours ago, Chriull said:

There is no power measured, there is some current measured sonewhere (at the motor), some voltage measured somewhere (at the battery) and multiplied. Thats just two values whithout any context put into a formula...

At least at some special cases this gets near a real power value - but in most cases its just any number...

It's something of a guesstimate yes, but my guess is that the guess is pretty good.

1 hour ago, LEO_LEO said:

today test:  I  went on a very brutal upwheel  (too much steep for a bicycle) the wheel don't' beep going up , I don't' understand :wacko: ...this weekend I make test with video

You're adapting to the wheel. It's a lot about how you adapt power, more than how much power you adapt.

Consider this: 2000W nominal is plenty for going up pretty damn steep hills, 3000W max is plenty for short accelerations uphill or going over bumps on the way. But if you apply the power roughly, it's like pushing the pedal on an old Lamborghini or Ferrari, the only thing you'll get is wheel-spin - in this case power beeps. So when you get to know the wheel, you can use the whole power without beeps, but when you're still a newbie on the wheel, you're not used to how it applies power...

So pushing it you go beyond the max and the wheel screams at you because of the transients, but knowing how hard means you stay within the limits and can put the power down.

11 hours ago, Scatcat said:

You're adapting to the wheel. It's a lot about how you adapt power, more than how much power you adapt.

Consider this: 2000W nominal is plenty for going up pretty damn steep hills, 3000W max is plenty for short accelerations uphill or going over bumps on the way. But if you apply the power roughly, it's like pushing the pedal on an old Lamborghini or Ferrari, the only thing you'll get is wheel-spin - in this case power beeps. So when you get to know the wheel, you can use the whole power without beeps, but when you're still a newbie on the wheel, you're not used to how it applies power...

So pushing it you go beyond the max and the wheel screams at you because of the transients, but knowing how hard means you stay within the limits and can put the power down.

I hope too the problem is only tame the beast :D  ...this beeps on steep climbs make me mad

On 10/25/2017 at 6:41 PM, LEO_LEO said:

1 hour ago, LEO_LEO said:

I hope too the problem is only tame the beast :D  ...this beeps on steep climbs make me mad

Well, my problem today seemed to be i had a f-ing rocket engine in the EUC :D

It beeped at me all the time on the way to work, I almost thought some setting had reset. Then I checked Wheellog and sure as sure, I was going way too fast.

Average speed today was 29.7 kph and I topped out at 40.6 kph with a short transient at 42 kph which gave me a tilt-back. Funny thing was it didn't feel like I was going THAT much faster than usually, actually I went slow on a few stretches where there was a bloody mat of wet leaves, mud and puddles. But I guess the clean stretches made med stretch my legs more than usual, being happy not to have to negotiate the slippery debris.

I bloody love the tilt-back on the GT16, you can't miss it, but it is so smooth you could get it in the middle of a maneuver without any problems at all.

I know the limits can be set higher, but really, I'm not sure I want to make 40 kph my cruising speed... too much can go wrong too fast when you get used to up the speed that way.

Those wet leaves scares the bejeezus out of me, they decompose to a thick slicky goo that is very bad for grip.

On 2017/10/24 at 4:59 PM, LEO_LEO said:

Hi, a little problem

I just got my new GT16, I'm trying if everything is ok in my office :innocent1: ,  it looks fantastic, very, very  handy, just do not understand why when I do the pendulum, in the change of direction makes a beep, is it normal?

Other first consideration of indoor first test, when I take a tight ring, it seems to me that at the end of the lap it escapes me a little bit forward, but this I think is just a problem of confidence

Sorry for so late reply you .I just wonder if you let it idling run whether it also beeping.Meanwhile you should check your alarm speed whether it's too low. If not I think you need to ask your local seller to help .As I know When you go to uphill and overrun to your alarm speed that it will beeping.

hi @Barry Chen  my wheel go 40 km/h without problem ( 40 because I set 40 km/h  as my alarm speed) when I am faster of around 10 km/h the Amp signal is regular, the wheel is a dream,  but as you can see in the videos,  the wheel make beep  at LOW SPEED  when I need much   power ...today  other test, the video is not good , but it is the same situation,  uphill , low speed, I need power, beep    I don't understand if it is a proyect limit because it is built for higher speed and not for power at low speed or if my wheel is no perfect 

Trim_20171028_191912.mp4

Archived