GT16: bip when change direction

LEO_LEO

Hi, a little problem

I just got my new GT16, I'm trying if everything is ok in my office :innocent1: ,  it looks fantastic, very, very  handy, just do not understand why when I do the pendulum, in the change of direction makes a beep, is it normal?

Other first consideration of indoor first test, when I take a tight ring, it seems to me that at the end of the lap it escapes me a little bit forward, but this I think is just a problem of confidence

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LEO_LEO said:

Hi, a little problem

I just got my new GT16, I'm trying if everything is ok in my office :innocent1: ,  it looks fantastic, very, very  handy, just do not understand why when I do the pendulum, in the change of direction makes a beep, is it normal?

Other first consideration of indoor first test, when I take a tight ring, it seems to me that at the end of the lap it escapes me a little bit forward, but this I think is just a problem of confidence

A video of the first thingie would be good.

For the second issue, turn it on, lean it against the wall, turn it off without moving it. Back away a few steps and look at the angle. If it leans backward or forward, you may need to calibrate it.

Also, get the app, and check which mode you're in. The beginner and walking mode may feel a bit loose in tight turns. Not as loose as some other brands, but still...

Making a really tight turn, as in tighter than the size of a bicycle, requires a bit of practice to feel comfortable. I find that the outer foot is the speed regulator, while the inner provide stability. Also it will help a lot if you get some grip-tape for the rubber on the pedals, so that you feel secure in your foot-positioning. Skateboard shops usually have some really awesome grip-tape for sale.

42 minutes ago, LEO_LEO said:

this is the wheel in *on

IMG_20171024_113329.thumb.jpg.32c8106626ad63db1e785394f91d058a.jpg

The angle of the photo might be tricking my eyes, but it looks like it leans forward quite a bit (given that the trolley is in the back of course).

Some versions of the app has a calibration routine, but if not, you can calibrate it by holding the wheel without power perfectly level and then press and hold the power button.
You have to hold it while it beeps repeatedly. Then when it has a continuous beep, you let go of the button and then press to turn it off again. Turn it on and it should now balance in the position you held it.

If the EUC leans backwards at neutral, the "playing" mode become unnecessarily hard to master, with the wheel almost at tilt-back to start with. If it leans forward, you don't get the support you need unless you stand too far back on the pedals. So levelling the wheel correctly helps a lot with control and confidence.

59ef1b071a118_neutralpoint.thumb.jpg.758dd98c0f80b04d3b417211290a5a32.jpg

This is mine in neutral position, for reference.

1 hour ago, LEO_LEO said:

ok, thanks, now arrives the video

bip.mp4

The beep is the 80% beep, which is always there when you reach 80% of available power (or if it's 70%, I'm not sure, ask @Barry Chen). When you get a single beep like that, it's mostly because of a transient - like in this case because you stop and start in the opposite direction. My guess is that you're not at full charge, probably just half charge or thereabouts. It is a function of voltage, so it beeps more frequently if the charge is low.

The "range" of "ideal" power in the GT16 is from >60% and up, from about 75V to 84V. At these power-levels it can handle transients of up to 3000W which is the max for the motor. As you drop to ≤60% charge, you will hear these beeps a bit more often if you push it. If there is a fault in the safety functions of the GT16, it is that it should let very short transients through without warning. After all, you have to keep pushing for longer than that before a warning is even relevant. But single beeps like this is not something to worry overmuch about, I get them from time to time when pushing a bit too hard :) 
If you get a double beep, it means that the transient is not as "transient" as a transient should be :D, persist and you'll get a tilt-back.

If you're at full charge, it seems strange that you get these beeps, unless you weigh a lot more than it looks like. Then you might want to send the video to your dealer to ask about it.

Note: BTW, I said 75 to 84V, but if you're going to do tricks, stay between 75 and 82V, to give some headroom against overcharging.

I also thought it could be a warning of overload, but it seems very strange, I weight 85-90 kg, i will try to ask @Barry Chen (for the rest in the corridors of the office seems to go well, has an incredible agility) ...this is the screen shot from the app

in_uff.thumb.jpg.ae0390e4da4f0200240bc35aed6b2b52.jpg

The app is really hard to read. At first I thought the pink bar was the battery, but it seems to be... temperature?

Battery is the green bar at the bottom, between the car-battery symbol on the left and the 100% on the right (so the battery is full). I think...

The other part of the green bar, to the right of the thermometer, also seems to be temperature? I don't know. At first I thought the green bar at the bottom was one thing, but it's two.

The LEDs must be the battery level, so pretty sure it must be full.

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Battery is the green bar at the bottom, between the car-battery symbol on the left and the 100% on the right (so the battery is full). I think...

I would say from the voltage -> 80,51Volt it is a bit away from totally full. Full should be 84 or at least 83Volt...

4 hours ago, Scatcat said:

The beep is the 80% beep, which is always there when you reach 80% of available power (or if it's 70%, I'm not sure, ask @Barry Chen). When you get a single beep like that, it's mostly because of a transient - like in this case because you stop and start in the opposite direction. My guess is that you're not at full charge, probably just half charge or thereabouts. It is a function of voltage, so it beeps more frequently if the charge is low.

I am not sure, but Doing tests it seems to me that the beep sounds when it exceeds 45 amps

9 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I would say from the voltage -> 80,51Volt it is a bit away from totally full. Full should be 84 or at least 83Volt...

...mmm... now I have put the wheel in charge, so I can see the data on battery certainly full

84 Volts is the max. Depending on how well your charger is tuned you may get it on the mark or anywhere between 82 and 84V. It should not go above 84V or the longevity of the batteries will suffer. 45A * 80V is about 3600W, which is above the official 3000W max of the motor. Some of that effect of course is lost in heat and so on, but if you go that high in current spikes it's no wonder you're getting a beep. I usually don't get more than 30A in a normal run, unless I push it hard or start off from zero in a steep uphill situation.

5 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I usually don't get more than 30A in a normal run, unless I push it hard or start off from zero in a steep uphill situation.

...mmm... I am not an expert of these problems, I know with the ninebot I can make pendulum without beeps, but if 45 Amps is a big answer for Gt16, this may be the explanation, perhaps a small limit, but certainly not a big drama 

Just now, LEO_LEO said:

...mmm... I am not an expert of these problems, I know with the ninebot I can make pendulum without beeps, but if 45 Amps is a big answer for Gt16, this may be the explanation, perhaps a small limit, but certainly not a big drama 

You can probably make the pendulum forever without problems, but you'll get beeps because of the power draw until you learn to brake and reverse in a somewhat softer manner :D

There is a very powerful response from the GT16, that is part of what makes it such a nimble EUC. Going from a machine that will not put out such power ever, the way you do it may need some adjustments... I think it will come naturally.

(Yes, I think too I must use softer manner with Gt16, an unexpected point in favor to the golden ager Nbot One+ ...silently most rude of the young super-sporting GT16 :D)

...I try to make an outdoor test to see if I see real problems of Ampere demand, thanks :) 

1 hour ago, LEO_LEO said:

(Yes, I think too I must use softer manner with Gt16, an unexpected point in favor to the golden ager Nbot One+ ...silently most rude of the young super-sporting GT16 :D)

...I try to make an outdoor test to see if I see real problems of Ampere demand, thanks :) 

I seldom get any beeps when going outdoors. But I suppose it depends on riding style.

When I switched from V1 to V2, I was surprised by beeps now and then. V1 didn't have any power-warnings whatsoever, which isn't very safe ;)

But it was very temporary, I very soon learned to get the same power out of V2 without beeping. Before I tended to just push it violently from standstill to high speed. But doing the push gradually is just as good, but without the transients. I doubt there is even a true difference in acceleration, maybe marginally, but it's less risky and less wasteful. And of course you CAN push, but with the risk of tilt-back if you're on the verge of over-leaning.

Today I hit speed tilt-back :D, which I had set at 42 kph (don't want to go much higher with 90 kg body weight and my backpack on). It kind of surprised me, since I knew I was going fast (got speed beeps), but not that fast. The dangers of being totally alone on a good flat stretch of road. ;) 

Maybe try riding for a few kilometres and see if the pendulums still cause the beep.  I wonder if it could be an over-voltage / over-charge situation where the battery is at full charge and the change in direction is bringing the regenerative voltage even higher for a short moment.  Maybe with the battery at 80-90% it might not do it?  It could be like when they warn you not to ride downhill with a fully charged battery.

Archived