Plantar Fasciitis common amongst EUC riders?

Evils

For the one and a half years I have been riding my EUCs on a daily basis, varying distances but almost always at least 25-30 minutes per day.

6 Months ago I started to get some pain in my right foot that was exemplary for plantar fasciitis (inflamed tissue in the back heel). I tried lots of things to get rid of the issue but not much seemed to help, until I was forced to stop riding my EUCs for a longer period (about 4 weeks now) and suddenly the plantar fasciitis got better, a lot better. 

One of these days though, I would like to get back on to my EUC again, but I'm scared that the plantar fasciitis will come back as I'm assuming this was a result of riding my EUC in first place.

Therefore I'm wondering, is this a common issue long term riders get when riding the EUC too much? Is this maybe a result of me having my feet weirdly on the pedals? 

Just FYI, I'm riding a InMotion V8 and a Ninebot One - although I don't believe this to be very relevant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rider's know that as the "V8 feet Syndrome".... ;-)

Ok, joke's byside....i have never heard of something like that. Perhaps your feet are quite sensible?

I would guess on some Jobs  you Need to stand much longer than 25-30 minutes still a day, and then These workers would all have this illness.

Hope you'll get better soon!

You can do heel drops occasionally and often while on the EUC. Basically just drop your heels onto the pedals so your full weight is born entirely by your heels. These are the Gold Standard for eliminating Achilles Tendenosis which you should also check if you have.

Plantar Fasciitis and AT are closely related.

I've heard of a few EUC riders that had FP and/or AT, and said that riding an EUC eliminated such diseases. I'm guessing they do a whole lot of hard braking and hence heel drops, and so thereby eliminated their FP and AT.

• Like 1

I would truly concentrate on your riding shoes before continuing riding. I use low height, quite rigid motorcycle boots that can fit three comfortable insoles per boot, the middle one having a strong contour that I've found to work well for my feet. Before I found a good combination, the pain in my feet was sometimes overwhelming enough to stop my trips after just 10 minutes. It wasn't Plantar Fasciitis though, the pain was at the outer side of the foot halfway front to back.

I also have built extensions to the original pedals, which also helps to spread the pressure and to ride more relaxed.

Another thing is the foot position. Before guidance I suspect most people put their feet too far back forcing the weight to be mostly at the ball of foot. A good starting point is to match the rear end of your shoe to the rear edge of the pedals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, esaj said:

This has been my experience also, with sneakers, it becomes painful relatively fast, with hiking boots (and proper foot positioning) it feels almost if I could go on forever... But even with hiking boots, if I have bad foot position, I have to stop sooner or later. I usually do adjust my feet a bit here and there during rides though.

It seems the season is pretty much over here. The temperature hit freezing point tonight.

Good point about foot position.  That's something I've only gained insight into today, ironically.  I was experiencing fatigue and moved forward on the pedals and found it made a difference because I didn't need to make the same effort to accelerate. 

• Upvote 2

Apparantly the body overdoes the inflamatory response even after the problemis over. The best solutionis rest. when the pain is gone, moderate use, but find a longer term solution. like maybe shoes (i call bs on that unles they take load off your tendon somehow. ) or riding shorter trips by riding faster.

17 hours ago, Evils said:

For the one and a half years I have been riding my EUCs on a daily basis, varying distances but almost always at least 25-30 minutes per day.

6 Months ago I started to get some pain in my right foot that was exemplary for plantar fasciitis (inflamed tissue in the back heel). I tried lots of things to get rid of the issue but not much seemed to help, until I was forced to stop riding my EUCs for a longer period (about 4 weeks now) and suddenly the plantar fasciitis got better, a lot better. 

One of these days though, I would like to get back on to my EUC again, but I'm scared that the plantar fasciitis will come back as I'm assuming this was a result of riding my EUC in first place.

Therefore I'm wondering, is this a common issue long term riders get when riding the EUC too much? Is this maybe a result of me having my feet weirdly on the pedals? 

Just FYI, I'm riding a InMotion V8 and a Ninebot One - although I don't believe this to be very relevant.

I tend to think that it’s a function of age..

I have known many (including myself) that have gone thru that.. seems to happen in the mid thirties - mid forties (varies person to person) but it seems to go away over time. I hope it does for you as well. 

• Like 1

I've had this a few times for a day or two after long, strenuous, no-break rides (usually in colder than normal weather). Aka pushing it too hard, too much compared to normal.

Just step off regularly if this is a problem (same as for the feet getting "flat" at the end of a long ride) so you changed your foot position, and don't force yourself to stay on the wheel for longer than it is comfortable. I suspect a long, unchanged foot position is the kind of stressor that can cause this. So simply step off, walk a few steps, and go on with a changed foot position.

Of course, if you're already inflamed, take a break from riding until it's gone, you don't want to accidentally make it chronic.

Other than that, I guess like with everything else, you can ease your body into the new EUC related stresses, just don't push it too fast and don't ignore if you're uncomfortable or something even hurts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Another parameter to play with is the forward/backward ANGLE of the foot rests which is readily available through the Inmotion app. For me on my V8 I actually found the best setting to be a slight forward tilt. And reiterating what has been said above:

- Shoes: My supremely comfortable and light-weight sneakers with thick soft soles are profoundly uncomfortable to ride with. Hard soles are the best.

- Foot stance: forward/backward placement of course but don't overlook the toe-in/toe-out parameter. In the beginning I was experiencing some discomfort by riding with my feet strictly parallel to the wheel but twisting my toes slightly outwards by an inch or so really did wonders for me. The strain on your tendons will be in a more natural direction when you bend your legs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/20/2017 at 10:08 PM, Rehab1 said:

Stretch your Achilles tendon daily and take an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen. Hopefully it will help!

912be603f1d2be221f195c2e2e075487

i’ve had it bad myself, not from euc, but doing these stretches first thing in the morning and before going to bed and it’s ususally gone in a few days.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 2:08 AM, GoinPostal said:

I tend to think that it’s a function of age..

I have known many (including myself) that have gone thru that.. seems to happen in the mid thirties - mid forties (varies person to person) but it seems to go away over time. I hope it does for you as well. 

I've read online about it being an issue of age and so my doctor told me as well ...

The only issue I have with that is that I'm only 26, moderately fit and it seemed to be directly related to riding an EUC (especially the V8).

I've been riding today for about 1hr for the first time after taking a 4week long break. I wore a new pair of GEOX shoes that are normally great for walking long distances and such things, yet, my feet felt numb after 20-25mins on the wheel so I stepped off every now and then. I'll test another pair this upcoming week, thinking about my shoes, I actually switch to a pair of New Balance from my nice boots a little before this issue appeared the first time (suspicious ...).

I'll go back to my exercises soon and report back in a bit! 

Thanks to everybody who took the time to answer!

• Upvote 2

I had another thread here about this. For me, the EUC is helping. 

Also, rolling your leg muscle with a foam cylinder is good. It seems to loosen the leg muscles down to the feet.

Seems like foot position may be the issue for you, or shoe issue. I can highly recommend a good gell insert.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:08 PM, Rehab1 said:

Stretch your Achilles tendon daily and take an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen. Hopefully it will help!

912be603f1d2be221f195c2e2e075487

Or grounded flax seeds if you prefer a natural anti-inflammatory.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For me, the foot pain is a combination of soreness and numbness, it's definitely pinching some nerves. Usually it goes away pretty quickly after I get off the EUC. On long rides of 20 miles or more I'm actually more likely to have sore quads from being in a bit of a squatting position for so long. 

One thing you might try for sore feet is Kinesiology Tape (also known as Kinesio Tape or just K Tape).  I had some soreness on the balls of my feet from squatting down for long periods while doing some home projects and the tape helped. 

Here's a video on how to apply the tape for plantar fascitis, there are lots of videos on Youtube and elsewhere for how to apply tape on just about every point on your body.

https://www.kttape.com/how-to-apply-kt-tape/kt-tape-plantar-fasciitis/

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2017 at 2:34 AM, jascon123 said:

You can try some home remedies to treat plantar fasciitis issue very well.

9 different remedies for the same ailment.

A consultant doctor once said to me: “One thing you can be sure of, if there are loads of different remedies for the same illness - none of them work!”

Snoring and the common cold are two good examples of this.

Edited by dmethvin
Removed link to spam sitez
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Keith said:

9 different remedies for the same ailment.

A consultant doctor once said to me: “One thing you can be sure of, if there are loads of different remedies for the same illness - none of them work!”

Snoring and the common cold are two good examples of this.

I agree, but for snoring am not entirely convinced that there couldn't be a quite simple remedy for most cases. After all it's a simple mechanical location problem to be solved, isn't it? 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 2:39 PM, Evils said:

Foot pain during EUCing is very common, probably everybody has experienced this. It's the first time I have read of persisting foot pain after riding though. Adding to the above considerations, changing the foot positioning frequently may be another remedy. I can well imagine that, like for back pain, maintaining a fixated position for longer periods of time plays a crucial part in developing the disorder.

I get foot pain only and quickly if I ride straight on flat ground. I try to move the feet around frequently and/or keep them busy making walking-like movements during riding. Yet it's often difficult to keep doing this and preventing natural laziness to kick in.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, jascon123 said:

If you have been riding EUCs on a daily basis and recently noticed that you have plantar fasciitis then do not worry because you can easily get rid of this feet issue with the help if some natural home remedies. You can try some home remedies to treat plantar fasciitis issue very well. Look at them and try them to get rid of this feet issue:

·   Cod Liver Oil: You need to take two teaspoons of a cod liver oil and then you have to mix the oil in a single glass of warm water. Now, after warming it, you have to drink before you go to bed. Try to continue this remedy for some regular days so that you can get the best results.

·   Ginger Tea: You have to wash ginger, then peel and after that chop to fine pieces. Now boil a glass of water in a small bow and after this, you need to add the chopped ginger and then allow the chopped ginger to steep for about 10 minutes. After this, you have to strain and a single teaspoon of honey and then drink while it is warm.

Try both these remedies at home and get rid of plantar fasciitis forever. You can also know more at SPAMSITEREMOVEDBYDAVE.Com

This is bs. what helps is no use of the foot or very light use. make sure you dont have a fracture in the bones by resting enough for a fracture to heal, use crutches and swim in stead of running. Some talk about absorbing forces in the foot with tapes and new insoles. They might help, but not necessarily if they are not done correctly. this may take time. best is to rest. you can use your euc seat or use your throttle ebike for a little while. it can in really bad cases take up to 9 months to get rid of. Min was triggered by running too far too frequently and at high  intensities. I was out of the game for half a year, but luckily i dont run half the year.

Edited by dmethvin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The inward tilt of most EUC pedals contributes to PF as well as Achilles tendonosis. Flat feet are documented to contribute those two because flat feet move the large Achilles tendon to the side.

So now we have a person with flat feet being forced to tilt his feet even more inward? Absolutely no surprise he'd aggravate his PF and AT.

The real solution is for EUC manufacturers to simply level their footpads.

These aren't gull winged F4U Corsairs we're talking about; they don't need to look beautiful. Just level the damn footpads. If you need more cornering clearance then move the footpads up so that they are level without grinding down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, akshayv said:

I have fallen arches and it's very hard to find a comfortable shoe, but this is one of the most comfortable I've found. I love the versatility of the straps which makes it so easy to get the shoe on and off and to adjust the heel to my foot. I like my OrthoFeet shoes so much that I just bought a pair of dress shoes so I can be comfortable all the time! 

Flag this for deletion -- spammers  strike again!

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...