Jump to content
houseofjob

MTen3 Tubeless Tire Conversion

Recommended Posts

If this is your video, may I ask what were the main reason for you to do this mod? How do you find the change in comfort over rough terrain and curbs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mrelwood

Nope, not my vid :D, but as soon as I can find the right valve stem, wanna convert mine as well.

There should be no difference in comfort, etc, it's just the convenience that you don't have to worry about blowing an inner tube and procuring a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The videos great, now how do i do it too? Do you have part numbers for the valve stem? Amazon/Taobao? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, houseofjob said:

There should be no difference in comfort, etc, it's just the convenience that you don't have to worry about blowing an inner tube and procuring a new one.

I was under the impression that (for mountain bikes) the ability to flex more makes the tire roll smoother over rocks and such. That is the reason I became interested in making my EUC tubeless as well.

Edited by mrelwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just patched my tube ( replacements seem hard to find with a valve stem that travels parallel to the tire) and trying to get the tire back on the rim. Ive replaced countless bike tires... all different sizes, however this one is a bitch to get back on. I just got some decent motorcycle tire irons to help me.

its just amazing, as I've given this project so much time. I can't get that tire back on !!

Edited by Mrd777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Arklag said:

The videos great, now how do i do it too? Do you have part numbers for the valve stem? Amazon/Taobao? 

I'm trying to find out myself so I can go tubeless on my MTen3. Will post when I do.

 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I was under the impression that (for mountain bikes) the ability to flex more makes the tire roll smoother over rocks and such. That is the reason I became interested in making my EUC tubeless as well.

TBH I don't have much personal experience with tubeless tires yet, not being a bike person.

Some quick google researching seems to confirm that you would be right: for less PSI (reducing the extra barrier of an inner tube), the tire can maintain the same rolling resistance but have more give & flex.

The bigger benefit I'm looking for is less small pinch flats made to an inner tube, along with reducing the need to buy more.

 

2 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

I just patched my tube ( replacements seem hard to find with a valve stem that travels parallel to the tire) and trying to get the tire back on the rim. Ive replaced countless bike tires... all different sizes, however this one is a bitch to get back on. I just got some decent motorcycle tire irons to help me.

Yup, same experience.

Went out and bought clamps (which helped tremendously, esp when putting the tire back on) to make the tire more pliable and get the beads away from the rims to gain more surface area when stretching on and off the rims. 

It seems many also lubricate tubeless beads in general, to help slip the tire easier on and off the rims, but haven't tried that yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im trying the clamps, did you remove the wheel completely off the shell or are you working with half the shell on?

Edited by Mrd777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mrd777 said:

Im trying the clamps, did you remove the wheel completely off the shell or are you working with half the wheel on?

Completely off, with the small motor wire shell anchor unscrewed (but not detaching the motor wire from the board).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve changed tires on my 16” EUCs several times. I wouldn’t even try without a thin layer of lube or grease at the edge of the tire. With lube I’m fine with just regular plastic bicycle tire ”irons”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, finally got it on,  wow that was work. Do we have any sources for other tires, tubes, or tubeless valve stems?  Please share any links.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2017 at 1:13 PM, Mrd777 said:

ok, finally got it on,  wow that was work. Do we have any sources for other tires, tubes, or tubeless valve stems?  Please share any links.

Shared on another MTen3 thread, but I'm trying out the 2 tires below, which seem to be about the only viable options to improve upon the crappy MTen3 stock tire:

XiaoMi Mini 70/65-6.5 / 10" x 3"-6.5 Tubeless Tire from SPORTSMALL Store / AliExpress (option 2)

Speedway / Dualtron CST 10" x 2.5" Directional Tire from FINEONE Store / AliExpress (option 1)

I still have yet to find any 10" x 3" inner tube with the proper parallel valve angle (most are straight, 45º, or 90º), but FYI (if you didn't note when changing) the stock MTen3 inner tube is a ChaoYang / CYT.

And I've yet to start the hunt for a valve stem, but I'm under the impression that all one would need is one that's super short..... although some further research seems that all these borrowed Mini / Mini Pro tubeless tires seem to have issues holding air on the Mini /Mini Pro's, what with wear & tear, so not sure anymore if going tubeless on these tires is better.

Edited by houseofjob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mrd777, nice!  I'm going the same route when this latest tube goes flat.  I did manage to find a tube on Aliexpress that fits fine, but it's probably just a matter of time before it goes bad.  I have so little faith in it that I've already bought the puller and the shorty valve for the conversion, so the clock is ticking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update as the wheel is back together holding air. The short valve stem will hit the shell with the cap on, so make sure you cut/dremmel away a little of the shell.

 

01DEC213-A3B9-4F67-8FC2-E3507E50C92B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 5:47 PM, Mrd777 said:

Ok, I got tied of my mten3 tire going flat. Every inner tube I’ve ordered from China is the wrong size or the valve stem is not going in the right direction. I ordered some short tubeless valve stems and a puller. The stems are designed for a .453 hole, so I drilled out the valve hole a little less 13/32” which is .4063 around 10.5mm. I added two ounces of orange tubeless sealer and so far the tire is holding nicely at 35 psi. Once again getting this little tire back on the rim is a HUGE pain, it’s helpful to have someone help you brace the tire

These are the stems I ordered

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7ANTCB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the sealer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CS739KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

 

C2D72E94-9520-498D-85CE-7F31BCF9D705.jpeg

I wonder why some of you guys have had so many flats and I haven't had a single flat. Do you know what's causing the flats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was bad luck with the particular tube I got. Mine was a little different then the other measurements I saw people had, (10x2) It had a slow leak that the Slime just couldn't fill. Radial's tube seemed to give out at the valve stem.  So far my tube less conversion has held up.

I've opened the Mten twice now and getting fairly efficient of the procedure.

Its certainly a fun little rocket !

mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI mine (from the Green Fashion initial release) was also a stock 10" x 2" CYT inner tube, but haven't had a flat yet.

My 10.5 mm bent valve stem (same as someone else I believe that posted a tubeless MTen3 conversion) + puller comes this week, so will be converting anyways to get the added shock absorbing benefit (*fingers crossed*) of tubeless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

FYI mine (from the Green Fashion initial release) was also a stock 10" x 2" CYT inner tube, but haven't had a flat yet.

My 10.5 mm bent valve stem (same as someone else I believe that posted a tubeless MTen3 conversion) + puller comes this week, so will be converting anyways to get the added shock absorbing benefit (*fingers crossed*) of tubeless!

Chris, from what I understand Orange Seal Tubeless is the way to go..(its working so far) so I'd buy bottle of it.

Let me know if you need some help..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Chris, from what I understand Orange Seal Tubeless is the way to go..(its working so far) so I'd buy bottle of it.

Nice, thanks!

How does it compare to Stans? (as I already have a bottle of that ready to go)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Nice, thanks!

How does it compare to Stans? (as I already have a bottle of that ready to go)

There seems to be a lot of reviews comparing Stans vs Orange Seal, maybe they are BS, but OS seemed to hold up better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

I think it was bad luck with the particular tube I got. Mine was a little different then the other measurements I saw people had, (10x2) It had a slow leak that the Slime just couldn't fill. Radial's tube seemed to give out at the valve stem.  So far my tube less conversion has held up.

I've opened the Mten twice now and getting fairly efficient of the procedure.

Its certainly a fun little rocket !

mark

Can you comment at all about handling differences between tubeless and tube. Or is there no discernible difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

Chris, from what I understand Orange Seal Tubeless is the way to go..(its working so far) so I'd buy bottle of it.

Let me know if you need some help..

Nice! Bought Stans on a recommendation from a rider in the NYC group saying it's way better than Slime. If the Stans doesn't hold, might have to try that Orange stuff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Can you comment at all about handling differences between tubeless and tube. Or is there no discernible difference?

I really don't think theres a huge difference in feeling going tubeless.  Im running at 37psi. When Im carving at speed it does feel like there is more bite or grip on the road.  It might be in my head, but the tire feels more planted. Ill play some more..

mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...