ninebot one E+ swan song

litewave

OK, so you outgrew your Ninebot months (year?) ago and are now a happy wheeler in Gotway-land or wherever. Still, this may be of interest, if you are keeping one around or have a family member/ friend who has your hand-me-down wheel...

Ninebot.cn no longer lists the E+ as a model for sale on their Chinese website shop.ninebot.cn - only the S2, A1, C+ and C remain. Still no sign of The Z as yet.

E+ pricing and parts availability: Yesterday there was a seller on eBay with several for sale at $549, but the listing has disappeared. Ninebotus has them on sale for $639 + free shipping in the US, which appears to be the official sale price for the wheel, that eBay sellers are enforcing as well. Speedy feet UK still has them at a higher regular price of £579 (~$763US) sans VAT and shipping. Accessory prices such as replacement handles, trolley handles, and especially batteries are all still inflated. Some parts are disappearing from Speedy's site, such as the inner shell set, trolley handle, and a few others.

The takeaway from this is to consider buying spare parts from established dealers soon if inclined to do so, before they become scarce, and the leftovers land on eBay at even more inflated prices.

On 10/18/2017 at 12:30 AM, litewave said:

OK, so you outgrew your Ninebot months (year?) ago and are now a happy wheeler in Gotway-land or wherever. Still, this may be of interest, if you are keeping one around or have a family member/ friend who has your hand-me-down wheel...

Ninebot.cn no longer lists the E+ as a model for sale on their Chinese website shop.ninebot.cn - only the S2, A1, C+ and C remain. Still no sign of The Z as yet.

E+ pricing and parts availability: Yesterday there was a seller on eBay with several for sale at $549, but the listing has disappeared. Ninebotus has them on sale for $639 + free shipping in the US, which appears to be the official sale price for the wheel, l that eBay sellers are enforcing as well. Speedy feet UK still has them at a higher regular price of £579 (~$763US) sans VAT and shipping. Accessory prices such as replacement handles, trolley handles, and especially batteries are all stilinflated. Some parts are disappearing from Speedy's site, such as the inner shell set, trolley handle, and a few others.

The takeaway from this is to consider buying spare parts from established dealers soon if inclined to do so, before they become scarce, and the leftovers land on eBay at even more inflated prices.

The price has gone down a lot since I bought mine on february 12 2016.  Paid $950.

Ninebotus still seems to have a lot of parts, but who knows how long they have them.

http://www.ninebotus.com/parts-ninebot-one/

It's too bad they didn't plop in a higher wattage motor, upgrade the control board and firmware, and add two wider side pads for more battery capacity like what 1Radwerkstatt offers and sell it as a Ninebot One Ultra + with a top cruising speed of 40-45 kph.  The shells could easily be modified to provide larger side pad areas to house more batteries.  They could have improved the handle to be more indestructible.  It's basically like they gave up on this form factor after the Ninebot P problems unfortunately.  I wonder how much design effort and investment went into the Ninebot One series of wheels.  You would think they would recycle/revise/reuse the basic design principles to create a competitive product with little additional investment money.  

Oh well, go figure Ninebot and their project managers.  :rolleyes:  I still like the classic design of my wheel.  It's slim, sleek, and is eye-catching even for a not so modern wheel.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's too bad they didn't plop in a higher wattage motor, upgrade the control board and firmware, and add two wider side pads for more battery capacity like what 1Radwerkstatt offers and sell it as a Ninebot One Ultra + with a top cruising speed of 40-45 kph.  The shells could easily be modified to provide larger side pad areas to house more batteries.  They could have improved the handle to be more indestructible.  It's basically like they gave up on this form factor after the Ninebot P problems unfortunately.  I wonder how much design effort and investment went into the Ninebot One series of wheels.  You would think they would recycle/revise/reuse the basic design principles to create a competitive product with little additional investment money.  

Oh well, go figure Ninebot and their project managers.  :rolleyes:  I still like the classic design of my wheel.  It's slim, sleek, and is eye-catching even for a not so modern wheel.

:thumbup: I agree – I still love my E+ and hope to get 10K km or more from it. Heck, I'm hoping to snag a new one when/if the price drops to $500 or less. The E+ will continue to be my short-range suburban runabout or backup wheel for years to come.

For now, I'm still waiting on the JTAG programmer I ordered from China to show up so I can upgrade to P firmware. I have also been mulling over a cost-effective battery upgrade, but have decided against the wider side pads à la 1Radwerkstatt. Short term, I'm hoping to snag a 340Wh P battery from somewhere at a good price (or make my own higher capacity pack from a spent donor's BMS). Then, after I purchase my next wheel (when the Z finally arrives in 2018 :crying:), I may hack a spare C/E shell set to add extra battery packs and create a frankenbot EP+. I could do all this now, but it doesn't make economic sense yet.

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

The price has gone down a lot since I bought mine on february 12 2016.  Paid $950.

Ninebotus still seems to have a lot of parts, but who knows how long they have them.

http://www.ninebotus.com/parts-ninebot-one/

I paid $450 for my E+ and $150 for the spare 320Wh packs new, so my price expectations are a bit different. The handles are selling at $44 (in the US) or  £50 (Speedyfeet), but were $25 last year. To be fair, minimum prices are dictated by Ninebot not the distributors, I believe. For me, the E+ is a great value proposition at $500 or less. I want Ninebot and its resellers to stay in business and make money, but I'm very price-sensitive when shopping for older technology.

I was considering the P firmware upgrade, but I would be afraid of faceplanting due to the sketchy P history of reliability.  Maybe it was mostly due to Ninebot not upgrading the battery pack setup so if you do that it might be rock solid.

I'm cooling on the idea of the Ninebot Z series as they don't look that sleek.  The fat tire might be good for bumps and off-roading, but I don't know if it would be too heavy to carry around going up stairs if needed.  If Ninebot made a GW Tesla spec'd wheel with a similar form factor I think that would appeal to a lot more consumers.  I don't think many women would want a fat tired wheel like the Z.  Hard to say.  Maybe once they are out with some real world reviews I'll change my mind.

Archived