Fan Cooling questions

Paddylaz

Hey guys, quick question as I'm considering a KS for my next wheel and have noticed this addition in the feature sets.

1) Is the fan loud/can you hear it along with the normal euc hum??

2)What happens if the fan breaks? Is the fan critical to stable performance (like the fan on a high-end pc graphics card) or is it simply an added safeguard for those who are pushing the wheel to it's limit via speed/gradient/rider weight?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Hey guys, quick question as I'm considering a KS for my next wheel and have noticed this addition in the feature sets.

1) Is the fan loud/can you hear it along with the normal euc hum??

With my ks16 c and s it is not hearable (by me) while driving. If its active at standstill in a quiet environment one can hear it.

btw: ks sends the fan on/off state - would be a nice addition for wheellog to log this additinal data:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

2)What happens if the fan breaks? Is the fan critical to stable performance (like the fan on a high-end pc graphics card) or is it simply an added safeguard for those who are pushing the wheel to it's limit via speed/gradient/rider weight?

I have never heard or read about a ks (or other brand) fan failure.

would be interesting to know if this could lead to mosfet problems or just to earlier overheating alarm/tiltback/shutoff?

6 hours ago, Chriull said:

I have never heard or read about a ks (or other brand) fan failure.

would be interesting to know if this could lead to mosfet problems or just to earlier overheating alarm/tiltback/shutoff?

This happened to me and my KS-16A.  I first noticed a problem when I kept getting overpowered warnings after riding about casually for 20 minutes. I compared the temperature of my wheel to my brothers who also rode a KS-16A and saw that I was at 60 C and he was at 50 C. The fan turns on at 50 degrees C. I immediately suspected that the fan went out. So I opened the wheel up, blasted my heat gun carefully towards the circuit board and saw that indeed my fan wasn't turning on when the temperature reached 50 C. I simply replaced it with a new fan and all is good now.

Archived