Tim Duffett

I've ridden the Ninebot One, IPS 111 [132], Airwheel X3, X5, X8 & Q3 in my experience so far.

The IPS ips-icon__.gif is a firm favourite of mine for the following reasons:

• It does a good distance with its 260Wh battery battery-icon_.png I've got up to 12.5 miles on a single charge - and I'm 6'3" weighing 13 stone
  • It's the only wheel in my experience that holds itself steady over uneven surfaces at speed due to its refined control systems software gold-star__.png
  • It has a powerful 1300W motor that gets you out of dips and ruts without problem
  • The 16" wheel traverses lumps & bumps much easier than 14" wheels.
  • It's nimble on the street and doesn't weigh as much as other long distance models (e.g. the Airwheel Q3 two-wheel_.gif )

There are still some things that could be better with this wheel:

• Pedals are quite small and low to the ground meaning that my feet scrape the ground on tight turns (actually the pedal height can be adjusted so I stand corrected!)
  • Even though the unit is powerful it still feels weak when stopping rapidly, especially down hill
  • It's not meant to be very waterproof (however I've ridden it in pretty wet conditions without trouble so far)

All in all I've ridden 6 models so far and the IPS is the best by a long way gold-star__.png

I have to agree with the weak braking when going down hill but I do live in an area with a lot of very steep and bumpy hills, otherwise I have to agree it's a great wheel and my favourite of the moment.

I'm looking forward to getting my Gotay M18 and comparing it. I'll be back to give my comparison verdict once I've tried it out.

Thanks for another great review Tim.

Almost nobody is talking about the travel speed you get with a "regular" e-wheel.

Maybe not a lot have a "regular" and a fast one.

Now I have two faster wheels and one "regular" one, but with the regular one the top speed is just to slow for me.

Additional also the pedals coming up, and I do not like that part at all.

I checked with my cell-phone and a app my regular speeds etc.

Normal travel speed is around 18kph, but with up and down, having fun etc. I get around an average of 12kph.

Maximum speed stays usually at 23kph.

Of course this all with my faster wheels.

If I would commute I am sure a normal speed of 18kph would not be enough for me (and I am still a beginner).

So far a little review about my travel speed with my e-wheels.

I didn't realise the pedals could be adjusted until I read this post.

Just lifted them to the higher mounting hole and tight turns are much easier now without so much scrapping with the extra 10mm of height.

Really?  Adjustable height?  Do you mean you take the pin out and then install at a higher slot?  I did this with my Airwheel X6 and I also notice on photos the Airwheel X8 has an extra position, a higher hole.  I didn't measure the height but it seems like an inch higher.  On the X6 I found it is easier and more fun to ride.  You can lean without scraping the pedal on the ground.  Also the pedal being higher therefore your feet and ankle will be closer to the axel and it becomes more nimble and you can steer better.  You are taller and will feel quicker because your leaning will have a more immediate effect in maneuvering.  I've only seen these extra "holes" on the Airwheel X6/X8 - I guess I never looked closesly at IPS.

I wonder what are the cons for a higher pedal?

Strictly from the engineering point of view the leverage that the motor has available to combat your off centred weight has been reduced by about 10% so in theory it would need that much more power to exert the same torque when keeping you balanced.

That being the case I wouldn't recommend raising the pedals on low powered wheels.

I will have to test this on the steeper hills around here to see if the climbing ability has been reduced by about 10 percent.

As a rider of the IPS 111 Generation 2 (which is, I understand, the same thing under a different name). I agree that this is a nice wheel.

It is quiet, smooth, and I have also done 10 miles without the battery indicator showing the battery to be near the end (it began "slow flashing" at about 8 miles - and was still only "slow flashing" at 10) - so a range "to flat" of 12+ miles seems likely. My only critisism is that it would be good to have just a TINY touch more speed - even for pavement work. You seem to be getting "toe lift" not much over 8 or 9 mph. Even for a "pavement only machine" being able to hit 10 without it beginning to "complain" would be nice.

• 1 month later...

I have the IPS i200 (the only gyrowheel I have ever ridden), while the wheel is only 14'' and the bootup time is 2 sec, it has proved to be an extremely reliable and responsive unit. I would recommend them to anyone, though as the 132 supersedes it they don't make them any more.

It gives great distance, and while the advertised speed of 16kmh is rarely met due to the tilt back at 11-12kmh, personally I find that fast enough. At the other end of the scale, the unit so responsive I can operate it in heavy foot traffic at speeds as low as 5kmh, which to my mind as an urban user who will take both foot paths as well as roads, is important.

• 1 month later...

I am now the proud owner of an IPS 132. While there is no single great difference between this and the IPS i200, it is an improved model all round. Boot-up time improved from 2 sec to 0.2 sec, 2" larger wheel, slightly more powerful motor, all add up to an improved riding experience as mentioned by the reviewers above.

One provisio, the 'braking' down hill or otherwise, as there is no brake on the machines, velocity reduction is caused by retarding the motor speed, it does feel a little 'soggy' and you feel you need to lean back further to keep the speed retarded, I suspect this is about the reduction of mass at speed (ie: the rider and machine), with the improved software giving a smoother ride, this is likely to feel soggy on braking as this to is now smoother. Perhaps the devs can make retardation more 'violent' (ie: responsive) than acceleration in future software.

As to pedal height and size, I found the footplate to be fine (I'm EU 42 shoe size) and the height is fine, I have never scrapped the footplate on the ground, guess I'm just not daring enough on the corners and take note of the tire, which warns against skidding.

Hmm.  I dunno.  My experience with the IPS i200 (also my first euc, back in July) is that it is extremely weak.  It can hardly accelerate up hills of only 15-20 degrees without shutting down.  It also shuts down doing back and forth "idling".  I quickly gave away that unit and got a Rockwheel GR12.  Of course the Rockwheel has its own, now infamous, problems.  I also got an IPS F400 shortly after the Rockwheel but it was way too slow.  The pedals tilt back at only 13 km/h.  Currently I'm riding Gotway 10,14,18.  While still not ideal, they are better than my previous wheels.

• 3 months later...

I'm confused as to which model this review is for. It says it has both a 260Wh battery and 16" wheels when those features don't seem to be on the same model anywhere. 260Wh battery is on the IPS132 and the 16" wheel is on the IPS131 according to their website.

@Gimlet, thanks for the reply, these models are so confusing!! Could you possibly send me a link online with that model that you have (that I'm assuming this review is about)?

This seems to be your model but the picture looks totally different: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/IPS-reg-Self-Balancing-Electric-Unicycle-Scooter-One-Wheel-Self-Balance-Electric-Monocycle-Single-Wheel-Standing/1795427_32327164636.html

I think you'll find that's a 121 model which is supposedly a bit more powerful and faster.

If you go to the wheelgo website Jason McNeil sells both models and has all the stats.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2015 at 1:44 PM, antberz said:

less stability because of higher centre of gravity

I believe it is easier to balance a long pole than a short one, that is, the higher the center of gravity the easier to balance. I think one aspect is that it leaves more time to react. Maybe there is a limit to it though :-) 

A clear disadvantage is the increased distance to ground in case of a flying attempt.

Archived