Sit riding the KS18S

Nick R

Anyone know of a good tutorial video clip on how to ride this baby sitting down ? 
I find it very difficult since everytime I tried it, I will be bending down and in a low speed situation obviously.
Hard to keep balance that way.. 

There must be a good technique to avoid a complete face plant. 
Not exactly my idea of fun.

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

Anyone know of a good tutorial video clip on how to ride this baby sitting down ? 
I find it very difficult since everytime I tried it, I will be bending down and in a low speed situation obviously.
Hard to keep balance that way.. 

There must be a good technique to avoid a complete face plant. 
Not exactly my idea of fun.

Here's an old video of a gentlemen who shows his technique of sitting.  It starts at 1:50.  Hopefully this helps.

The keys to how I got the hang of seated EUC riding was:

• keeping my heels up off the pedals so that my legs were free to counter-balance the weight of my upper body and....
  • learning to slide (on the seat surface) and move my upper body, instead of the tendency to try and sit in one place and position

Initially, you want to drop straight down, heels automatically go up (tip-toeing on the pedals), into a seated position, instead of trying to do some kind of slow and awkward bend of your body.

Doing so, the main weight manipulating the EUC transfers from your pedals (total body weight via your feet), to your EUC seat (upper torso weight via your bum).

Once you get the hang of this, any turning is all about shifting your torso / sliding your bum across the seat, while your lower body, with toes against the pedals, counter-balance.

Here's a vid that @Citi Wheel shot of me riding as described; hopefully it helps (though it's hard to see all this as my pants and Monster seat are the same black color):

And like the video above, I do tend to manipulate my Monster, going from seated to standing and back, by stiff arming the front of my Monster seat.

It also serves as an accelerator, and a good way to quickly throw your weight distribution back when standing up, for faster braking; overall a good transition pivot point.

17 hours ago, houseofjob said:

The keys to how I got the hang of seated EUC riding was:

• keeping my heels up off the pedals so that my legs were free to counter-balance the weight of my upper body and....
  • learning to slide (on the seat surface) and move my upper body, instead of the tendency to try and sit in one place and position

Initially, you want to drop straight down, heels automatically go up (tip-toeing on the pedals), into a seated position, instead of trying to do some kind of slow and awkward bend of your body.

Doing so, the main weight manipulating the EUC transfers from your pedals (total body weight via your feet), to your EUC seat (upper torso weight via your bum).

Once you get the hang of this, any turning is all about shifting your torso / sliding your bum across the seat, while your lower body, with toes against the pedals, counter-balance.

Here's a vid that @Citi Wheel shot of me riding as described; hopefully it helps (though it's hard to see all this as my pants and Monster seat are the same black color):

And like the video above, I do tend to manipulate my Monster, going from seated to standing and back, by stiff arming the front of my Monster seat.

It also serves as an accelerator, and a good way to quickly throw your weight distribution back when standing up, for faster braking; overall a good transition pivot point.

Damnnn.. you are good. 

Good news... I clicked yesterday. I managed to ride sitting down ... How bout that.
So it seems to me.. the trick is what you do with your calf to control a 16 inch wheel standing up 
is what you do to control the 18 inch wheel with your ass crack sitting down..

I still dont have as much control with the EUC as much as you seem to have however. 
I guess that will come with practice. 
And yes.. I did notice that I do control the speed by having to consciously tippy toe pressing on the pedals since when in sitting position, most of the weight is off your feet.. 

Thanks for the tip. 

NIce!

You'll get the hang, control is a little harder, but for me, it was really about experimenting and not being consigned to sit in one spot, on position.

I think riding & maneuvering seated is a bit harder on the KS18 series than the Monster, as the seat is smaller and narrower, but should translate nonetheless.

• 2 months later...

I find as I am sitting down, a part of body weight shifts to the ball of my feet. Once I sat down, my buttock tends to counter-balance. So initially, I might experience a chance of speeding up, then once my buttock hit the seat, my Gotway 18 would slow down or return to initial speed. If not, I will try to lean back a little. The key is be smooth and quick when you try to sit down, not allowing too much time lapse before your buttock hit the seat. Also, it would help if the seat is not too low on whichever EUC you are riding. After this, the control/maneuvering is between the balls of your feet, your buttock and body positioning.

Archived