Kingsong 18S ... hurts my knees...

Nick R

I got my 18S yesterday and the complaint I have with it is that unlike the 16S which pushes against my meaty calves... the 18S sits high so it pushes against the inside of my knees ... With less meat than the calves.. this is quite painful. And the only thing I seem to be able to do to lessen the pain is to ride with more bend in my knees to widen my legs out ... With this posture, any prolong period causes back to ache. Does anyone with 18S have this issue ? (pad pushes against your knees) If you do, what do you do to lessen the discomfort ?
I tried putting on volleyball knee pads to cushion it against the EUC pads.. .but that just makes my knees even wider apart and feet farther positioned to the edge. 

I think if the pedals are wider.. this could allow me to move my knees away from the unit to lessen the pain.. but as it is.. I hardly have enogh room to stay on as it is.

Strangely, my wife said she doesnt have this pain. May be its my boney knees. I dont know.

Do your knees hurt because the stance pushes against your joints OR do they hurt because the hard(er) sides of the wheels collide with them?

Either can eventually go away as you ride the wheel longer, but the first may indicate you, like most people, have weak knees caused by our civilized lifestyle.

13 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Do your knees hurt because the stance pushes against your joints OR do they hurt because the hard(er) sides of the wheels collide with them?

Either can eventually go away as you ride the wheel longer, but the first may indicate you, like most people, have weak knees caused by our civilized lifestyle.

Strange enough.. my wife have no issue with her knees ....
But she has more meat around her knee caps than me.  

I found that if I scoot my feet farther to the front however.. the inside part of my knees moved to the front of the EUC and the part of the EUC that was pushed up against it now moves towards the back of the knees a little.. I alleviate the pain somewhat... But then my posture now becomes pretty dang aggressive since my stance leans fwd. 

Good thing is... more bugs in my teeth
Bad thing is.. when I needed to brake.. it takes longer since I have to consciously move my feet back in addition to leaning back

Weird, how tall are you?  I'm 5'8" and I don't have any issues with the KS18S.  Are you hugging it too tight?  Don't need to apply pressure.  I find that the pressure I feel is still down by my calf.

3 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Weird, how tall are you?  I'm 5'8" and I don't have any issues with the KS18S.  Are you hugging it too tight?  Don't need to apply pressure.  I find that the pressure I feel is still down by my calf.

Im 5.6  And my wife is 5.5 she doesn't have the problem. Go figure. 
I suspect its how much meat you have around your knee joint.

Trust me I am not trying to apply pressure. I have enough as it is.

13 hours ago, Nick R said:

My guess is the pain will pass with practice. Your body has to get used to each new wheel. I hated the KS18S for the first week and came within a hair’s breadth  of selling it. By the end of the first month, I was in love. I am so glad I didn’t sell it! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

My guess is the pain will pass with practice. Your body has to get used to each new wheel. I hated the KS18S for the first week and came within a hair’s breadth  of selling it. By the end of the first month, I was in love. I am so glad I didn’t sell it! 

I got a pair of thinner volleyball pads from Walmart and rode the wheel out to the local park yesterday.. Rode the hell out of it all over the park both on concrete bike path and on hilly grass area... And I have to tell you.. after about an hour of that.. I admit the discomfort was still there.. but less.  You may be right.. Lets see what it'll be like after a month.. 
Yesterday was my first real ride on the 18S. 

Also.. I dont know if its my imagination or what.. but I think if I pressed my knees really hard against the pads... ie no wiggle room (absolutely controlling it instead of letting it sway side to side between my legs) the pain wasnt as bad.  

Edited by Nick R
  • Like 1

Took my 16S out strolling the neigborhood this morning with a cup of coffee in hand and no shoes.. 
I gotta love the looks on the passing cars + the neighbors' faces. 

LMAO 

Edited by Nick R
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Took my 16S out strolling the neigborhood this morning with a cup of coffee in hand and no shoes.. 

LMAO 

I was also enjoying riding without shoes one bright summer day, learned pretty quickly it might not be such a good idea, you know how small the pedals are and barefoot your toes really want to 'grab' the edge, i made a sharp turn and lost a nail the toe got stuck between the pedal and the asphalt :D

39 minutes ago, RobValley said:

I was also enjoying riding without shoes one bright summer day, learned pretty quickly it might not be such a good idea, you know how small the pedals are and barefoot your toes really want to 'grab' the edge, i made a sharp turn and lost a nail the toe got stuck between the pedal and the asphalt :D

:shock2:

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

LMAO 

Next time... I'm gonna wear my bath robe and a cowboy hat .. with a cup of coffee in hand.. Still no shoes. 
Let's see how that goes.. 

Edited by Nick R
  • Upvote 1

On 10/11/2017 at 5:31 PM, Nick R said:

he 18S sits high so it pushes against the inside of my knees

Not that I have any experience with the 18S but have you tried changing to a little more toe-out stance? When you bend your legs this will push your knees more outwards and I find this helpful for some of my activities.

Edited by Snurre
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Snurre said:

Not that I have any experience with the 18S but have you tried changing to a little more toe-out stance? When you bend your legs this will push your knees more outwards and I find this helpful for some of my activities.

Not sure if I am able to manage the pain or learned a new stance.. but it became more tolerable every day.
I learned how to ride sitting down yesterday on the 18S so in time I probably learn how to give my knees some rest if needed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This happens with all new wheels. More so when you change significantly like going from a 14 or 16 to an 18 inch wheel. Going to the KS18 moves everything around due to it's height. 

In a month or so your body will learn how to move better with the wheel as you become accustomed to riding it and you will develop callouses, if you will, at the new stress points.

The width of the Gotway MSuper 18 in wheel hurt me for 2 or 3 weeks till I learned to trust the wheel and how to move with it, widen my stance a little. Once we came to an understanding the pain was gone. The KS18 was the same, just moved the hurt up a little higher... when I learned how to move with it the pain went away.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Snurre said:

Yup, I do the same, just toeing out a couple of degrees relieves the pressure on the knees a lot for me. And that is both the pressure of the legs against the EUC and the internal pressures by an unnatural stance - after all I hardly have my feet parallel when walking.

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2017 at 3:05 PM, Nick R said:

Next time... I'm gonna wear my bath robe and a cowboy hat .. with a cup of coffee in hand.. Still no shoes. 
Let's see how that goes.. 

Please do. And post a video, too! :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2017 at 10:59 PM, Nick R said:

I'm 5.4, and estimated the 18S will come up past my bony knee. Was once interested in it, but wary of its height, so I bought a Gotway Tesla instead as I can't wait for the 18L anymore. Well, all the best in adapting to your 18S!

On 10/26/2017 at 10:06 AM, Marty Backe said:

And what about the fact that dealers don't always sell the wheel that you're interested in? The only place that I could buy an Mten3 was AliExpress.

On 10/28/2017 at 11:09 PM, Meng Yang said:

I'm 5.4, and estimated the 18S will come up past my bony knee. Was once interested in it, but wary of its height, so I bought a Gotway Tesla instead as I can't wait for the 18L anymore. Well, all the best in adapting to your 18S!

I was looking at a Tesla before decided on the 18S. I have a KS16S and I loved it. 
But now that I've been on the 18S for a month... I cant see myself going back to the 16inch wheel.
My wife inherited my 16S and now I am rockin' on the 18S.

It rides so much smoother.  

Problem with my knees hurting also went away after about a week.
Now I and my 18S are ZEN !!

Edited by Nick R
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/28/2017 at 11:09 PM, Meng Yang said:

If you are weary of its height... don't. Here is me on it.. I am only 2 inches taller than you. 

Edited by Nick R
  • Like 3