Waterlogged alarm beeper

MaxLinux

I rode for about an hour in very heavy rain yesterday. The MSuper V2 performed excellently in the rain, as usual. However, now the alarm beeper has a problem. It tries to make a sound, but it is much quieter than normal. I don't think it's shorted out, since it does make noise when it should, just much too quiet. I'm guessing water got into it. I have never read a report of this happening, so I'm entering the first report. I am hoping it regains its normal sound after drying out. After 24 hours, however, it still has a very quiet sound. I'll post a follow-up later once I know for sure that the sound came back/did not come back.

• Like 1

This has happened to me a few times on a Ninebot One S2, but so far the sound came back every time once the wheel got a chance to dry out.
I actually kind of liked the quiet beeps.

Edited by Flow

16 hours ago, Flow said:

This has happened to me a few times on a Ninebot One S2, but so far the sound came back every time once the wheel got a chance to dry out.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It gives me hope. The sound on mine is not back yet. It is only audible in a very quiet environment. I'll post an update after a while.

11 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Have you located the speaker and tried to dry it at all? If it's like the one in my kingsong you can actually completely remove it and put it on a heater or somewhere warm and dry for a day or two. 

I have not looked inside the wheel yet, but that's a great idea if the Gotway speaker is also removable!

Thank you!

On 10/10/2017 at 3:40 AM, Flow said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. It gives me hope. The sound on mine is not back yet. It is only audible in a very quiet environment. I'll post an update after a while.

For 7 days after a rain ride, the Gotway MSuper V2 buzzer was almost silent (very quiet environment necessary to hear it). On day 8, suddenly, sound is back! I think it is not 100% of original volume, probably 85-90%. So it will be interesting to see if it gains any more volume. As a point of comparison, in 1.5 years of riding several IPS wheels, the IPS buzzer was never affected by rain.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 8:14 PM, MaxLinux said:

I think it is not 100% of original volume, probably 85-90%

By day 10, the buzzer sound was back to normal. This is passively letting it dry out inside the wheel. I made no attempt to remove the buzzer and place it in front of a heater, for example, to speed up the drying process. However, now that I know from this thread that the buzzer is removable, I will definitely do that if the sound is killed by rain again and does not recover in a relatively short time.

Edited by MaxLinux

I had a similar instance with my Monster. It was raining on my way home from work the other week and the buzzer didn't sound right the next day BUT I opened up the Monster & it didn't seem wet inside at all. With how close the buzzer is to the control board I'm sure I'd have known about it if that got wet?

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...