What should my next wheel be?

electricpen

I am starting to consider my next wheel. I will, of course, wait to see the verdict on all the newest wheels, tesla, z10, etc. However, my current KS16s has an 840 wh battery and the thing I think I want most out of my next wheel is more battery. So if I am looking at only wheels with 1600wh + options that limits me to ACM 1600, msuper V3S+, KS18s, and Monster 1600 or 2400. Right now I feel like I'd still prefer the @Marty Backe route of one wheel in a given size (for now...). So that narrows me down to KS18s, Msuper V3S+, and Monster. I've done a lot of reading but I haven't seen a lot of people (any?) who have actually used all three enough to make educated comparisons beyond just basic spec comparisons. I think I read somewhere that Marty rolls his monster up stairs instead of carrying it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the msuper but still a bit torn. The KS18 seems ok but given that the purpose of this wheel is going to be longer range cruising it seems a shame that it will probably start entering crippled performance mode at 30% battery. The Monster is pretty monstrous and would be awkward to take in smaller shops/restaurants that are very crowded as well as going up stairs (although if you actually can roll it up stairs without picking it up that would definitely make it more tempting...). Any thoughts by people who own these wheels?

16 minutes ago, electricpen said:

I am starting to consider my next wheel. I will, of course, wait to see the verdict on all the newest wheels, tesla, z10, etc. However, my current KS16s has an 840 wh battery and the thing I think I want most out of my next wheel is more battery. So if I am looking at only wheels with 1600wh + options that limits me to ACM 1600, msuper V3S+, KS18s, and Monster 1600 or 2400. Right now I feel like I'd still prefer the @Marty Backe route of one wheel in a given size (for now...). So that narrows me down to KS18s, Msuper V3S+, and Monster. I've done a lot of reading but I haven't seen a lot of people (any?) who have actually used all three enough to make educated comparisons beyond just basic spec comparisons. I think I read somewhere that Marty rolls his monster up stairs instead of carrying it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the msuper but still a bit torn. The KS18 seems ok but given that the purpose of this wheel is going to be longer range cruising it seems a shame that it will probably start entering crippled performance mode at 30% battery. The Monster is pretty monstrous and would be awkward to take in smaller shops/restaurants that are very crowded as well as going up stairs (although if you actually can roll it up stairs without picking it up that would definitely make it more tempting...). Any thoughts by people who own these wheels?

I have to say something :)

Yes, I'll 'roll' the Monster up stairs, but it's still not effortless and I wouldn't want to climb 50 steps that way.

The Monster is a fun wheel that is a pure joy for cruising. Just yesterday I took it for a little 20 mile ride along the river. Just plain fun.

But if I could only keep my MSuper V3s+ or my 2400wh Monster, I would keep the MSuper. The Monster is a little too niche to be kept as one of my primary wheels. I really liked the original MSuper V3 but I love the newest MSuper. Very comfortable to ride, I can cruise for 50+ miles easy, yet it's still maneuverable and could easily be my only wheel (heaven forbid if I only had one wheel).

Whether you go with the KS18 or MSuper is something you're going to have to figure out yourself, but I'd leave the Monster for the follow-on purchase ;) 

1 hour ago, electricpen said:

I'm in a similar boat of considering the same wheels you're looking at, although I'm not likely to buy anything for a while yet.  The Z10 or Tesla don't offer substantially more battery than your current wheel and I would be surprised if the Z series was available in the next few months.  I'm probably most excited about the Z10 because I have high hopes that the wider tire may offer significant advantages for winter riding. 

I'd look for KingSong69's reviews to get additional perspective from someone who has owned both the MSuper and the KS18S.  I'm not wild about the KS18S shell, but it gives you a sitting option and the quality of the KS wheel will be higher.  It would come down which wheel I could get the best deal on, as I'm budget constrained. 

I'd be quite happy with the MSuper and I've observed a few people make the upgrade to that wheel and be satisfied.  I'm sort of annoyed that most of the companies are shutting down the aliexpress route for purchasing and may go with Gotway simply because they're still available through that channel. 

Consider getting a fast charger that you can bring with you, and call it a day. I say this because while my MSuper and KS give utterly different riding experiences, at the end of the day there isn't that much difference between them since they are probably the two best wheels on the market. 

Still, nothing wrong with buying a different bigger wheel just for the disparate riding experience. MSuper is a fantastic wheel.

If you do get the MSuper then just pretend it doesn't come with the trolley handle. In fact, never use it except to check on it from time to time.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Consider getting a fast charger that you can bring with you, and call it a day. I say this because while my MSuper and KS give utterly different riding experiences, at the end of the day there isn't that much difference between them since they are probably the two best wheels on the market. 

Still, nothing wrong with buying a different bigger wheel just for the disparate riding experience. MSuper is a fantastic wheel.

If you do get the MSuper then just pretend it doesn't come with the trolley handle. In fact, never use it except to check on it from time to time.

I actually have a fast charger from ewheels already which I do bring with me. I think one of the things I'm looking forward to in a slightly bigger wheel is the ability to absorb rough ground a little easier. There are sections of my commute where I get so much vibration when going over it that during the time I'm riding over that terrain I can't even see where I'm going very clearly. The roads in that area really need work =(

On 09/10/2017 at 6:56 AM, electricpen said:

to absorb rough ground a little easier. There are sections of my commute where I get so much vibration when going over it that during the time I'm riding over that terrain I can't even see where I'm going very clearly.

I don't think a road that bad would become that smooth with just a bigger tire. I'd invest in shoes that can fit two thick and well cushioned insoles (HUGE difference), and even consider building shock absorbing to your wheel:

Archived