Air pollution kills people since us use fire for warm our houses. Smoke only speed up the natural selection for a pollution proof people. Show to everyone your smoker and sporting capacity makes you cool in a Darwin way 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Only people who have never been smokers think like you do. Ever wonder why?

That's very unlikely to be true. Ignorance about the nature of addiction can't possibly be limited to non-smokers.

I can't even bother to quote @gotmotion2016.

But yes, if it is weakness to not be able to stop smoking cold turkey, then I am a weak person. Actually I'm probably a hedonist, as I can't understand why I should do self-flagellation when there is an alternative that gives me the same pleasure at a few percentages of the risks? If you're into the kinkiness of punishing yourself without reason, please do so, but leave me out of it.

So I said it, can we move on to the actual consequences of the choice of vaping to stop smoking? For me it has been a world of difference, all to the better.

Also mr (mrs?) @RooMiniPro, could you please stop mixing up smoking and vaping just because both produce clouds? The toxicity of vaping as compared to smoking is so low for bystanders, that even permille is a somewhat blunt scale to measure it. For me as a vaper the difference is at least 95%, for you as a bystander the risks are like 1/800 - 1/2000. An hour in the centre of a medium NA or EU city gives you more carcinogenic chemicals in the air you're breathing, than a day inside the home of a vaper. A lorry driving by on the asphalt will dust your lungs more than me blowing five minutes of my steam in your face.

You may not like it, and that's fine with me, but at least keep it real.

FYI my favourite tastes in vapes are: Apple Crumble Pie, Blueberry Waffle with Sweet Cream and Maple Syrup, French Toast, and Honeydew Melon Strawberry Pear Mix. I am 51 years old, and not even a sweet tooth normally, but these bakery vapes and fruit vapes are deli.

When I quit tobacco I used a 12mg/ml mix, now I use 3mg/ml. I have made no conscious move to lower the level, it has just happened naturally. Funnily enough nicotine in and by itself is not that addictive, it's when you mix it with tobacco alkaloids that it becomes an addictive killer. Ask the mice that rejected the nicotine solution while going crazy about the tobacco distillate... OR ask me, that needed two months to stop feel the cravings for tobacco even though I got just as much nicotine through vaping. The reason it worked for me, was that it was still enjoyable - and it took the edges off the cravings. Gum, patches and so on also takes the edges of the cravings, but it is about as enjoyable as a pimple in the a***.

There is another "toxin" that is remarkably close in effects and danger to nicotine, and that is caffeine. It also sharpens the focus, heightens the pulse, stiffens the arteries, creates withdrawal symptoms, and all that we associate with nicotine. The amounts of intake that are considered dangerous are about six times as high with caffeine, but other than that they have a lot in common. Imagine that :)

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

There is another "toxin" that is remarkably close in effects and danger to nicotine, and that is caffeine.

I would have to reread about the effects of nicotine bar tobacco. For caffeine though it's pretty clear, it's about as non-dangerous as any food could possibly get.

12 minutes ago, Mono said:

I would have to reread about the effects of nicotine bar tobacco. For caffeine though it's pretty clear, it's about as non-dangerous as any food could possibly get.

There have just been a few tests, one in France and the other in GB (if I remember correctly). But those showed with a rather remarkable clarity, that given the choice between a mix of nicotine and tobacco alkaloids and pure nicotine of the same concentration, the "nicotine addicted" mice chose the witches brew just about every time.

17 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

There have just been a few tests, one in France and the other in GB (if I remember correctly). But those showed with a rather remarkable clarity, that given the choice between a mix of nicotine and tobacco alkaloids and pure nicotine of the same concentration, the "nicotine addicted" mice chose the witches brew just about every time.

The preference of mice doesn't tell us much if anything about the dangers of nicotine or tobacco for humans. In any case, we know the dangers of (smoking) tobacco very well and we know that prescribing nicotine is a common medical practice to treat addiction to tobacco. The latter is a pretty good indicator that nicotine can't be a particularly harmful drug, but I am pretty sure that's all more or less textbook stuff, just would need to look it up. Wikipedia says that "Beyond addiction, both short and long-term nicotine exposure have not been established as dangerous to adults, except among certain vulnerable groups." which is pretty much what I had in mind as well.

10 minutes ago, wheelr said:

Where do you think all that burnt coil goes? Heavy metals are as toxic as anything I know.

Just from a vapers perspective:

Changing to vaping makes me breath better again, smell again, getting up stairs better again, making my teeth better, everything!

Btw. the coil does nothing else than heating the liquid like in a water boiler...do you still drink that water? guess so!

its a misbelief that the „coil“ is glowing, burning or whatever...it just got to a temperature where it boils the liquid, and that got vaporized.

But i am on a pretty easy stand point: Every one can do what he wants, as long as he dont affect others!

Another thing for this thread:

We can discuss anything and all here....but if it gets offensive or to faul language...as for example @kasenutty the next time will receive warnings or/and bans! There is a clear rule of netiquette like in every other forum!

I don't know about the "smokers who quit by vaping", I just don't see it. All the vapers I know are still heavy smokers, or at least they vape then bing smoke normal cigs.

Vaping just seems to encourage smoking, in my opinion, they smoked heavy before vaping, they smoke even more after vaping.

I guess that's why I partially agree with @RooMiniPro.

4 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I don't know about the "smokers who quit by vaping", I just don't see it. All the vapers I know are still heavy smokers, or at least they vape then bing smoke normal cigs.

Vaping just seems to encourage smoking, in my opinion, they smoked heavy before vaping, they smoke even more after vaping.

I guess that's why I partially agree with @RooMiniPro.

Might be you dont know any....

I only know people who got it, vape now and stoped smoking, or failed, and get back to smoking.

I am vaping since 3 years, nearly reduced nicotine to zero since that, and got a much better health since then. So now you „know“ one ;-)

1 hour ago, wheelr said:

Where do you think all that burnt coil goes? Heavy metals are as toxic as anything I know.

Which heavy metals? The wires are either KA1, NiCr, Ni, Ti, SS316 or SS317L. None of those contain heavy metals.

When you use the coils, the temp never reaches glowing temperatures. Whatever loose oxides there are, are normally rinsed off while you prepare the coils. The oxides of KA1, NiCr and SS that are not loose are very hard, and actually protect the coils from shedding any more metal particles. Ti and Ni are never ever glowed, and only used in temperature controlled situations.

Of course you CAN get metals in your vape, if you order cheap knock-offs and use them without cleaning off machining oils and so on, but that is not normal - it's stupid. There have been vapor tests with metals in them, which without exception has been caused by severe overheating - in turn caused by the test setup using too much power or not allowing cool downs between puffs.

There is not NO risk with vaping, it's just a fraction of the risks of smoking in the low percentages. You can get irritation from propylene glycol if you're part of the minority which are oversensitive to it. You can get inflammatory effects from some aldehydes, like cinnamaldehyde if overused. Some sugars can cause irritation when heated, and they gunk up the coils. You can use ejuices that are not controlled for acetoine, pentanedione 2,3, or diacetyl, that over time may cause pulmonary diseases. But even then, the same stuff is present in cigarettes, where one single average cigarette contains amounts matching weeks of ejuice-consumption.

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Might be you dont know any....

I only know people who got it, vape now and stoped smoking, or failed, and get back to smoking.

I am vaping since 3 years, nearly reduced nicotine to zero since that, and got a much better health since then. So now you „know“ one ;-)

Well then you know two. My last cigarette was in August 2015, and then just to test it after two months of not smoking. It tasted horrible and that did the deed with my ideas that it might still be nice once in a while. No urge to break the streak since then. If anything, I'm vaping less and less.

I have a friend that use both. He started out as a 30-40 cig per day guy, and is now down to numbers that can be counted on one hand - maybe with a toe or two in it when he's partying. He just ran the Berlin Marathon at 50 years of age - and got a more than decent time. His biggest revelation has been to not get a panic-attack when there's no cigarettes at home... :D 

Another friend looks longingly at his Latakia that are going dry, and speculate if he can make a NET-juice out of it, just not to waste it. He hasn't smoked a cigarette or a pipe in three years now.

I have at least a couple of dozen friends that tell the same kind of stories, and most of them talk about the sense of freedom when you breathe in and the only sound is the inrushing air - no wheezes, no coughing.

I smoked nearly two packs a day and was able to quit by vaping in 2009, and I still haven't had a regular cigarette even one time since October of 2009. I feel a lot better and was able to convert my aging parents at the same time. Extended their lives makes me very happy. My mother had COPD when she made the switch. A year later, she went to the doctor and does not have COPD. 

I am no scientist, but the vaping experience is clearly much better than the smoking experience for me, my family, my friends, and other people I know who were able to quit smoking. 

I don't think it's much of a surprise that technical minded folks who appreciate innovation like electric unicycles would be drawn to an almost magical device that improves their lives by such a huge amount. 

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Well then you know two. My last cigarette was in August 2015, and then just to test it after two months of not smoking. It tasted horrible and that did the deed with my ideas that it might still be nice once in a while. No urge to break the streak since then.

That's my story to the letter also, although mine was 5 years earlier (or 4, not sure). Even the lowly automatic 510-T did it for me, I stopped smoking the day I received the tiny stick. I only smoked about 7 cigarettes a day, but getting back the ability to smell and taste properly was amazing. Among everything else of course.

I think the main reason nicotine patches and such won't work is that there are so many parts to the addiction that are not treated in any way. Having a 5 minute break (social or not) every now and then, seeing the smoke as you blow out the stress, having a familiar "companion" with you all the time, even the plain hand to mouth movement I remember reading. Vaping addresses all of the above.

Yes vaping produces fumes, and has potentially toxic things in them.

The vapor is produced by heating vegetable glycerin to the boiling point. Same stuff that's in soap and skin moisturizer. And makes nice clouds in Discos ^^

They throw some polypropylene glycol in there to give the smoke hit sensation. It's also used as a conservative in most skincare and dietary products.

Of course you got some nicotine, which is both a pesticide and a human neuron enhancer, with amphetaminic properties.

The rest is just GRASS certified aromas that are used in food and flavoring additives.

It's about 100 times less toxic than cigarette smoke.

Unfortunately some flavorings where meant to eat and not breathe and can cause complications.

But less to those around you than let's say car smoke, eating a load of crappy food, sitting in a nice sofa's that gives off God knows how many VOC particles, plugging in those nice synthetic parfum dispensers (or roach/moskito dispensers) ..etc ^^

Congrats to all of those that were able to break their cigarette addictions.  Truly.   Several of my best friends are going to live much longer lives because of vaping.  I know the addiction remains but my understanding is that people consume less nicotine as vapers since the unit of consumption is a draw or two instead of an entire cigarette.  I have no direct data on that but I'd like to think it's true.  

As for 2nd-hand cigarette clouds - not a fan (same for domesticated dogs, but that's another story).  I don't care for vape clouds either but would gladly zip through some banana-cream-pie smelling fog (plus the unknown toxins) over the well understood dangers of cigarette smoke.  

Since we contaminate all around the world we don't deserve a pollution free environment. Stop consuming electronics, wear, and food what makes insostenible his production and after that talk about stop smoking in public places 

36 minutes ago, Demargon said:

Since we contaminate all around the world we don't deserve a pollution free environment. Stop consuming electronics, wear, and food what makes insostenible his production and after that talk about stop smoking in public places 

That is absolutely not comparable.

Maybe we should start smoking in closed offices and airplanes again?

I see this thread, and while the latter half of it is more about vaping the EUCs, it kinda answers the original question... doesn't it.

We stopped discussing EUCs, which are revolutionary and edgy, and which we all love.
Instead we started discussing vaping, which may well be just as revolutionary, and edgy, but where there is a split down the middle of the community as far as attitudes goes.

So just as peoples attitudes are mostly positive toward our EUCs, a lot of people find vaping to be a smart way of reducing smoking. But just as some will find EUCs nerdy, dangerous, disturbing and so on, some will find vaping nerdy, dangerous and disturbing.

A lot of us have heard the "get a bike!" at least once, just as most vapers have heard the "just quit already!" at least once.

I find it tragically funny that we're in the absolute forefront in one area, but have the blinkers/blinders on in others. I'm quite sure I am not innocent in this, as I'm sure I have my blinkers/blinders on in other areas.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, it just felt like some kind of revelation, food for thought, and I thought it was worth sharing.

11 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

what kind of disturbing?

What I was trying to say is that some think it is the shit, while others think it is just shit. :D
But believe me, some bicyclists have found it VERY disturbing to have a EUC whining just behind them... almost to the point that they'll fall by looking to hard behind where they're going.

• Keith locked this topic

Archived