DIY cushion suspension for kingsong pedals

Simon Tay

I've been experimenting with this as well. A few things I've noticed that would suggest for a slightly different design:

• The suspension travel achieved by the above method is only a few millimeters. Wearing thick cushioning foam insoles in your shoes will be more comfortable and have more suspension travel.
  • Positioning the materials like that will give a very firm response at the center, but allow a lot more travel (=instability) when leaning for accelerating or braking. It's best to position the materials at the very front and very back, leaving a large empty section in the center.
  • The top part of the pedal gets easily stuck in the screw threads. For the suspension to work properly, a part of the threads must be flattened down. Attaching the screw to a drill will make it easier.
  • Flathead screws would poke less in the shoe allowing for better comfort.

I have found thick gel insoles to be the best for pedal shock absorbing, and they are also clearly the most durable. Most other materials lose their sponginess quite fast.

I would cut a gel insole to suitable shapes so that it only reaches about 5/8" (15mm) from the very front. Same for the back of the pedal, and just a thin 3/8" (10mm) slice at the outer side, and a short and narrow bar at the inner side. Like this (mind the screws though):

IMG_9AAC2E31A590-1.thumb.jpeg.9af0df47e58951e3394fec7669629ccb.jpeg

My earlier comments apply to this method as well, in addition that it takes 2-3 days for the silicone to dry completely. I can't be off my wheel for that long! :o

IMG_20171010_174157b.thumb.jpg.28723915a73a2c4e728c9a15b32cbee4.jpgIMG_20171010_174728.thumb.jpg.bfd282db5b26246901a23284468a48be.jpghttp://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/2764-italian-discussion-group/?do=findComment&comment=124422  using Google translate, this post in the Italian section says he uses velcro to attach to the pedals, plastic packing material glued together with sandpaper on top for grip.  The pedals won't close, but the pads are easily removable.

I would have turned them around so the toes were higher than the heels.  Great idea for pedal cushions!:thumbup:

8 minutes ago, steve454 said:

IMG_20171010_174728.thumb.jpg.bfd282db5b26246901a23284468a48be.jpghttp://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/2764-italian-discussion-group/?do=findComment&comment=124422  using Google translate, this post in the Italian section says he uses velcro to attach to the pedals, plastic packing material glued together with sandpaper on top for grip.  The pedals won't close, but the pads are easily removable.

Oh dear god... I knew something was off about Italians, because of Fiat. No amount off pizza can compensate.

In order to reduce foot fatigue and increase comfort the entire forefoot , midfoot and hindfoot needs to be supported inside of a shoe.  You can get custom orthotics fabricated for $300 - $400. A pediatrist or orthotist will take a mold of the foot and then use various types of materials to fabricate the custom insoles including different densities of foam and silicone. 

These Bluprint insoles appear to be on target as an adequate substitute for custom orthotics.  They conform to the bottom of the foot using a patent pending ‘Mold on Demand’ technology.  Price: $79. https://www.bluprintcomfort.com

12 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Oh dear god... I knew something was off about Italians, because of Fiat. No amount off pizza can compensate.

@mrelwood     Oh dear friend...you could mount these pads on your wheel and come to Italy for a long relaxing tour. So you could find out what Italy is and who italians are. :)

7 hours ago, Frankman said:

@mrelwood     Oh dear friend...you could mount these pads on your wheel and come to Italy for a long relaxing tour. So you could find out what Italy is and who italians are. :)

Only thing long and relaxing those would get me is a stay in a hospital.

11 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Wait, what? 

the feet position in the euc is static, the sport shoes are designed for the foot movement, not for the foot no-movement, I think that focusing on racing sports shoes is confusing

@LEO_LEO that is true, but an Air-cushion is working whether you stand or run. It dampens the light vibrations from the road that still get through the dampening effect of the tire.

@UKJ If you want to be supercorrect you have to pronounce it like the old greeks. Since its used as a name for an american Company, I pronounce it with a long E at the end.

@steve454 I am always happy to spread some knowledge where I can :D

@Jag_Rip , sure, an Air-cushion is working whether you stand or run, but for redistribute the pressure, the foot must float. When you run or walk, usually you don't use all the foot plant, the pressure surface interested is more localized. Maybe I'm a little OT, but I believe that to find the right way for feet confort on the euc,  perhaps could be better find the way watching the disciplines that use the foot as the EUC uses it, for example snowboarding, skating, skiing, cycling or other that now don't came to my mind, but the hint could be than in all this disciplines the shoes are not praticles for walking

5 hours ago, LEO_LEO said:

perhaps could be better find the way watching the disciplines that use the foot as the EUC uses it, for example snowboarding, skating, skiing, cycling or other that now don't came to my mind, but the hint could be than in all this disciplines the shoes are not praticles for walking

True. I use low height motorcycle boots for EUC riding. My walking shoes and even hiking boots are too soft at the sole, which makes my feet hurt.

I find that barefoot while idle, juggle practise in my living room affords the best control as in direct contact with pedals and out door

like above post super stiff sole leather boots feel just fine.

I would hesitate to "pad" pedals but if needed gel inserts and, or less tire pressure.

ukj

On 14/10/2017 at 8:45 AM, UKJ said:

I find that barefoot while idle, juggle practise in my living room affords the best control as in direct contact with pedals and out door

You clearly don't have a euc with grip tape :o

Hard soles are the trick to get rid of the pain in the feet. As @LEO_LEO correctly commented, you just have to look at how skiers and snowboarders footwear are constructed, not very practical for long walks...

Personally I go half way, having high shaft trekking shoes with a sole that is supposed to protect you in "uncomfortable" terrain. These work very well during autumn, winter and spring, but during summer they get too hot.

Another thing that would work eminently well, would be pedals that aren't made for shoe size 36EU. Even though most pedals are long enough to let us ride without falling off, the pressures on the soles of the feet are in all the wrong places. This becomes even worse as the angle of the pedals often leans inward slightly more than the spread of the feet merits.

I have to have shoes with insoles that support my foot arches and provide a base for the front of my feet or I will be sore in no time flat.

Archived