Wheel selection advice

Paul Panait

Hi, I'm Paul and live in Copenhagen. I need your help and experience to help me decide if I should by a Wheel to help me out in my daily basis job. I walk daily a min of 20km in between stores that I'm in charge of and every second day in a different city. These would be the reasons I'm afraid to make such a purchase:

- I travel every week in a different city in the Nordic countries by plane, so it has to be approved to take as carry on. ( besides for the weight limit I'm more concerned about the battery that the airports say "not bigger than a laptop or a cell phone battery")

- could I ride it and pull after me a small trolley suitcase? Since I can't have my stuff in a back pack- to heavy and not working when you have a suit. I work in fashion business :( need to look sharp

- at destination point ( new city) I need to be able to use it for more than 20 km between charges on cubic stone, uneven pavement, little pot holes, slippery ground and rain- it rains always here :(

- I would need to have a smaller/ easy to carry charger to have with me at all times just in case for max 2h charge

- in case it runs out of battery any easy way to carry the dead weight? 13 kg holding in a hand it's a killer even for short distances, in some videos I could see some little trolley bars added on them but I don't know if it can be done to all the models

- since I have never ridden one before, I'm looking for one not to kill me by shutting off while speeding

- and not Airwheel since its beeping constantly if you pass the average speed limit. That's a deal breaker. 

- speed, I need speed at least 16kph in order to use the bike lanes

please heeelllpp!!! 

The only potential issues I see according to your described situation would be the Airplane that limits the battery and the riding in a suit through the rain.

Looking sharp on a EUC, noproooblem (not me, not my pic, I just love google image search, lol)
tumblr_novelq3Wu81rugtzko1_1280.jpg

There are EUC with replaceable batteries, so maybe it could be an option having a battery pack and charger in each city (given that your travel brings you to the same stores) and you travel with the smallest batterypack on the plane?

Hi Jag_Rip, thanks for the feedback. Cool picture though :) . On the other hand I know for a fact that the airport security  has no idea what I'm talking about when mentioning EUC so they are like, is it small?then fine. About the weight they said that as long as I don't get to red when lifting it up is fine :) Any specific brands that would cross your mind? One that could stand a good beating, since I know that will happen?

Did anybody actually tried to pull a luggage while being on an EUC? is it even possible without loosing your balance or going in circles?

Thanks. 

Looking sharp on a EUC, noproooblem (not me, not my pic, I just love google image search, lol)

He is lucky that he doesn't need a helmet with that hair.   Me, I'm jealous. 

Admins: please move the 'paul' posts to another thread since we should not pollute the BMS thread I think.

Hi Paul,

Welcome B).

I walk daily a min of 20km in between stores that I'm in charge of and every second day in a different city. 

Almost thinking you are trolling -- you walk  20km each day (!); that is about 4 hours of each day. And that in your suit with a trolley. Perhaps you are over-estimating the distances :)

- could I ride it and pull after me a small trolley suitcase? Since I can't have my stuff in a back pack- to heavy and not working when you have a suit. I work in fashion business :( need to look sharp

- at destination point ( new city) I need to be able to use it for more than 20 km between charges on cubic stone, uneven pavement, little pot holes, slippery ground and rain- it rains always here :(

And then walking in the suit in the rain :D   Just kidding :)

Anyway, of course, with a wheel you can you ride in the rain but you will get wet; if it rains, take a taxi or bus I would say unless you have good rain gear.

You can definitely pull a small suitcase -- I did this in the airport even after one week of practice. However, on a regular street this will be very troublesome -- just the same as walking with a suitcase: the wheels are too small and get stuck all the time. No good with the speed of an eWheel I think :(

Other than that, an eWheel is so much fun. For cobbles and such a big wheel is good, 18" for example. I love my Solowheel Xtreme, very comfortable and robust. Good for intense use and you can take it on a plane. Light charger too. 

Also, if you are in fashion and want to look good with a backpack, I love this Tumi kingsford backpack, fashionable, thin, and functional (almost looks like a briefcase -- but costs as much as a cheap EUC :()

25181D_main?hei=463&layer=2&opac=0&layer

@Daan: Quick question, and excuse if it appears off topic.  If you practice with a back-pack does it get better?  I have ridden with one, but it throws off my balance, so while I can do it, I don't feel I am riding as safely.  But I haven't practiced it a great deal.  I just did it, and noticed the results.   Thx. 

I didn't practice specifically with the backpack. But  I practiced a lot and have been riding almost every day for the last 6 weeks -- a lot in the forest which helps with getting balance as you are challenged all the time by roots and rocks :)  So, now, I have no trouble at all with a (small & light) backpack (just a laptop, lunch, eWheel charger, etc). But perhaps a heavy backpack, or one that doesn't sit nice on the back would be troublesome?

OK, no fair as I have been riding 5 months!  But I haven't tried the backpack lately.  Perhaps one day I will practice it again and see if my riding with it has improved.   Thanks!

I went for grocery shopping once. Once. Came back with a full backpack of food and full bags in each hand. It worked but wasnt fun, rather exhausting. But people I passed were staring even more than usual B) 

On my commute I also carry a backpack with laptop, charger and my few necessities like lights and gloves. I dont feel that weight at all when riding, but havent tried to pull anything yet.

Admins: please move the 'paul' posts to another thread since we should not pollute the BMS thread I think.

Hi Paul,

Welcome B).

Almost thinking you are trolling -- you walk  20km each day (!); that is about 4 hours of each day. And that in your suit with a trolley. Perhaps you are over-estimating the distances :)

And then walking in the suit in the rain :D   Just kidding :)

Anyway, of course, with a wheel you can you ride in the rain but you will get wet; if it rains, take a taxi or bus I would say unless you have good rain gear.

You can definitely pull a small suitcase -- I did this in the airport even after one week of practice. However, on a regular street this will be very troublesome -- just the same as walking with a suitcase: the wheels are too small and get stuck all the time. No good with the speed of an eWheel I think :(

Other than that, an eWheel is so much fun. For cobbles and such a big wheel is good, 18" for example. I love my Solowheel Xtreme  

Also, if you are in fashion and want to look good with a backpack, I love this Tumi kingsford backpack, fashionable, thin, and functional

Hi Daan :)

not trolling, I'm going to take point by point:

- I would appreciate to have the post moved where it should belong, but since I had no idea where to place it, among the forum it looked like you guys really know your shit. Sorry, but your experience it really makes a difference for me :) it's your "fault" because you sound so damn good :) and experienced 

- the 20 km are not always done by foot. If they are, is because I'm making most of them in the gallery. I need something that can give me the same flexibility I have with my feet soi I can jump in a bus, train, metro or taxi at any time. Tried to rent bikes from the hotel, I got stolen one from one of the gallery and I even found the chain lock that the hotel provided left tied up the bike rack. :( They found it with gps tracking a week later dumped somewhere. useless

- a good rain gear means a scuba diving suit ? most of the time I'm even getting left only with the stick from the cheap umbrellas from the hotels :) still using the public transport but I have also walking to do, if that is the case, I'd rather be fast. 

- every week I spend 3-4 days in a new "zone" that can mean more than one city since I'm changing hotels I need to pull the freaking suitcase until the first hotel or store that is on the way to the airport. 

- it's good to know that you could actually pull a trolley as long as you have flat and good terrain, airport or wide bike lanes ( love Copenhagen) 

- solowheel was my first intention since it was the original model and patented and the site looks fancy :), but since is this expensive and is my first wheel, I'm afraid to buy it and then drop it in the basement as I did with all other useless purchases in the past 3 years. For example the expensive trolley scooter from samsonite that is useless for cobble stone or any other terrain that the smooth airport. :( so I'm looking for relatively cheap but good and not as noisy as the Airwheel with the constant beeping.  

- the back pack is super fancy, I have one that I can use as a trolley as well, but since I have always a blazer if not a suit I look like shit when I take it off. :( 

- the only place I could "test" one in Copenhagen was no test at all. They showed all the Airwheels in stock and asked which one I would like to buy. Then return it within 30 days if not satisfied but to make sure is not used. Ahaaaa, yup, sounds like a good deal. If I'm retard :)

And, Daan, do you think that a 16" wheel would work as well? Your feedback and jig's where helpful for me, so many thanks. :)

And, Daan, do you think that a 16" wheel would work as well? Your feedback and jig's where helpful for me, so many thanks. :)

Also a 14" wheel (e.g. Gotway or Kingsong) would work for your use case, and smaller wheels tend to be lighter as well.

All in all, the wheel that you want, as far as I understand it, isn't on the market.

Airport security is getting more and more knowledgeable about batteries. You can only carry a 160 Wh battery maximum on a flight (well, actually 2 batteries each smaller than 160Wh, plus more smaller than 100 Wh). None of the EUC I know of currently ships with a 160 Wh battery or smaller. The smallest are 174 Wh, which cannot be carried on a plane.

Batteries show very clearly on the security scan machines, so there's no way to slide a EUC undetected beyond security. If you are lucky, they might not stop you. If you are unlucky, you now have an expensive EUC you cannot take with you on any plane, can't ship (cheaply) home, since only few companies accept bigger LiPos anymore. Worse, can't easily and quickly remove the battery pack and carry only the EUC with you, leaving the battery behind...

Until manufacturers build EUCs with <160 Wh replaceable batteries, traveling frequently with a EUC is unfortunately not an option. The risk of having to take a huge monetary loss is too big. Every other consideration discussed is, unfortunately, moot until the right batteries are available

Hi Jag_Rip, thanks for the feedback. Cool picture though :) . On the other hand I know for a fact that the airport security  has no idea what I'm talking about when mentioning EUC so they are like, is it small?then fine. About the weight they said that as long as I don't get to red when lifting it up is fine :) Any specific brands that would cross your mind? One that could stand a good beating, since I know that will happen?

Did anybody actually tried to pull a luggage while being on an EUC? is it even possible without loosing your balance or going in circles?

Thanks. 

youre welcome. There are people that took their EUC on the plane as hand luggage (Daan has a thread going here: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/624-wheel-on-the-plane/ ) there is a limiting factor on the battery capacity inside the passenger cabin that could cut into your mileage on destination. Check the regulations and be prepared for discussions with securitypersonnel.

As for brands, I havent got all the specs in my mind, but as far as fancy looking you cant pass the Ninebot one (pictured with the hair-guy above) but its one of the heaviest and most expensive on the market. For the rest it has the needed speed and range, even the cheaper models have 25km, its a 16 inch wheel so cobblestone wont be a problem. The handle is retractable, but open on one side, so you cant easily mount a strap for carrying, but theres a trolley-handle accessory so you only lift it when absolutely necessary.

By the way, Ninebot recently bought Segway. Food for thought to counter your idea of going with solowheel. (*shudders) ;)

Don't know if it matters, but many wheels actually have 132Wh packs (ie. Firewheel  F264 is 132Wh+132Wh), many generics and Airwheels have a single 132Wh. Not that it's going to take you very far.

not trolling, I'm going to take point by point:

B) Thanks -- and welcome again; it is a fun forum here. Actually, I just have my wheel only for a short time but am just super enthusiastic. Been learning and riding almost every day :D

- I am a bit worried about your plan to take a trolley with you. I love riding the wheel and the feeling of snowboarding on asphalt -- that won't work so well with something dragging behind you. A backpack works so much better.

- Rain will be troublesome since you get wet; the wheel will be ok B) 14" + wheels will work on cobble stones -- bigger is just more comfortable. It also becomes easier once you get more skilled and relaxed.

- Like @esaj said, there are other models with smaller batteries -- that may be great to start. I think the Eva has a small battery too. 

Overall, if I were you, I would really look for a way to get some experience on a wheel; perhaps you can find someone on this forum who lives semi-close? Good luck!

Don't know if it matters, but many wheels actually have 132Wh packs (ie. Firewheel  F264 is 132Wh+132Wh), many generics and Airwheels have a single 132Wh. Not that it's going to take you very far.

My bad, and thanks for the info... I was under the impression there were none with smaller batteries, but I was clearly wrong, thanks

I don't know how much money you wish to spend but I'm sure that if you were to get two King Song wheels with the smaller 150wh removable battery that I believe they make then you could split them both and put the two halves with the battery pod/slot on together to make a wheel that is airline legal with two removable 150wh batteries which would give you a 300wh wheel once assembled. This would give you a reasonable range and performance if not ground breaking.

You could buy another battery to put in the other wheel for a home non airline compliant wheel.

I only wish King Song would make it as standard!  After all they already have all the parts.

I wish all EUC would come with replaceable batteries in general. i am sure a lot of users will get a second pack just for the comfort of having a full spare. I know I would.

I remember the times before the iphone came into the business world, all had a spare batt for their phones. Now they charge it at every possible outlet, in the bathroom, on the shoppincenter floor, in the train etc. ^_^ hilarious and sad at the same time.

@esaj, firewheel f260 sounds brilliant and the lights in front and back would be a great advantage specially in the nordic countries where all bikes MUST have lights on them or risk a fine. But the reviews from April 2015 really suck and I don't know if I'm that technical to "Shunt" it or seal all the open spaces to protect the board and the battery. Did they changed/ improved the birds since the last models? And how be sure to get a newer/ improved model if the answer is yes ti the last Question. 

@Daan - Eva classic could do the trick. The mileage not that great but it has only 8.8 kg wich is quite an advantage for the airlines if they want to refuse taking it on for any reasons ( battery size, weight, the fact that they don't like you :) ) but the wheel is only 12"

@robca thanks a lot for the IATA info. Is nice to know that this are the international requirements. Super thanks  

@Gimlet not willing to spend to much on the first wheel and king song I could find only at http://kingsong.m.manufacturer.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Electric-self-balancing/p/sm/1122812796.htm but with no price, weight or battery specification. 

And I would not like to go for Airwheel since is having the constant beeping after 12kpm. 

Thanks to all of you for the great help :) 

@esaj, firewheel f260 sounds brilliant and the lights in front and back would be a great advantage specially in the nordic countries where all bikes MUST have lights on them or risk a fine. But the reviews from April 2015 really suck and I don't know if I'm that technical to "Shunt" it or seal all the open spaces to protect the board and the battery. Did they changed/ improved the birds since the last models? And how be sure to get a newer/ improved model if the answer is yes ti the last Question. 

All I know is that the mainboard was partially redesigned around April/May. Mine's bought second hand, it's from last year (board replaced once), I think @Tishawn Fahie ordered a new Firewheel, I'd be interested to know myself if the factory quality has gone up (like sealings etc).

@Paul  I have one last 174Wh King Song in black (airline compatible, if the battery is removed from the Wheel) with the removable battery-pack in stock at the moment. Can offer for 650euros inclusive of VAT & shipping to Denmark.  For the specs, it has:

• 174Wh removable battery pack
  • 500W motor
  • About 11kg net weight
  • Top speed of 25kph (although with that size battery pack, please ride conservatively)
  • Bluetooth, speakers & front/rear LEDs. 

Drop me a line if interested.

Jason, that's only for true mobility aids (i.e. wheelchairs), not for consumer electronics. You might find people who agree that a EUC is a mobility device, but it's a huge risk if they do not (i.e. loss of your battery)

The portion relevant for unicycles is this one (from the same document):

• Lithium battery powered electronic devices. Lithium ion batteries for portable (including medical) electronic devices, a Wh rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh. For portable medical electronic devices only lithium metal batteries with a with a lithium content exceeding 2g but not exceeding 8g.

Archived