Gotway Tesla - 680WH VS 1020WH

I love my Kingsong 16s. Been riding it for about 2 weeks... But now my wife (who rides the NineBot 1C+ cant catch up with me) so am looking for something faster for her. 
So I found this Tesla. Damn... Speed is 33+ MPH. Not sure if I have the nerve to go that fast on 1 wheel. But sure would be nice to have that ability. And the 16 inch is preferred to me.
Ewheels is offering a preorder of the 1080WH model.  Am not sure if I would need that much juice since my outings normally only for 2-3.. may be 4 hours.. So I think 680WH model sounds more like what I am interested in. .

Question is... What am I giving up going with the 680 WH 67.2V battery rather than the 1080WH/84V ?
Quick look at the specs .. nothing indicates that I am giving up that max speed of 33+ MPH... 

Any thoughts ? 

Jason McNiels... if you see this.. I'd love to hear your reason for not offering the 680WH model at Ewheels 
GotwayAmerica has both models .. Price difference is about $400 .. pretty sizable difference. And for what I need (cruising around parks for 3-4 hours) I think 680WH should be sufficient and save me that $400 price difference.. 

Thanks in advance.    

You're KS16S is a 840Wh so it may be a good idea to buy at least a tesla 850Wh. In addition, I don't know usually how fast you run but it seems to me that 680Wh is not enough for 4 hours riding. You should know that it's easy to reach 30 km/h with these powerful machine. A tesla is sensibly more powerful than a KS16S. I think 33MPH cannot be reached by tesla 680wh since it is a 67V machine. You probably need a 84V version to reach this speed but do you really need to run that fast ? I think a powerful wheel is mainly useful for its torque. Tesla 850Wh and 1020Wh come with 84V.

38 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Question is... What am I giving up going with the 680 WH 67.2V battery rather than the 1080WH/84V ?
Quick look at the specs .. nothing indicates that I am giving up that max speed of 33+ MPH... 

Nope, you do sacrifice max speed for 67.2V Tesla, see Gotway spec sheet below.

Note 1: going faster, you will burn through a battery faster as well.

Note 2: bigger batteries is not just about range; more cells in a battery share the load, thus safer/better performance, acceleration, etc.

20882931_1225965237549467_69074722157184

giving up max speed and maybe some safety, at that point I would get something like a v8.  I want big power behind the motor of the tesla to get me out of bad situations.  The couple extra pounds seems worth it to me, heavier gives up agility for stability which may or may not be your thing.  Also, maximize your battery and only charge the big battery to 80%, perfect for your short outings and the battery should last forever

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Nope, you do sacrifice max speed for 67.2V Tesla, see Gotway spec sheet below.

Note 1: going faster, you will burn through a battery faster as well.

Note 2: bigger batteries is not just about range; more cells in a battery share the load, thus safer/better performance, acceleration, etc.

20882931_1225965237549467_69074722157184

So are you saying on the 680WH  (57.2V battery) max speed is 29 MPH ? and the 1020WH  84V battery , max speed is 37 ?
I would never go faster than 37..  29 sounds like a good compromise to me if I can get the 680WH unit for $400 less than the 1020WH Tesla model. 

My kingsong 16S right now (which I love) has the 67.2 V battery also.. and it performs great.  Except the max speed on the KS16S is only 21 MPH now
compared to the 29 MPH on the 680WH Tesla 

1 hour ago, Brian Morris said:

giving up max speed and maybe some safety, at that point I would get something like a v8.  I want big power behind the motor of the tesla to get me out of bad situations.  The couple extra pounds seems worth it to me, heavier gives up agility for stability which may or may not be your thing.  Also, maximize your battery and only charge the big battery to 80%, perfect for your short outings and the battery should last forever

How do you charge it to 80% ? 
I plug it in and overnight it charges.. I can't limit how much to charge it ... or can I ? 

@Nick R: I guess the key point is that you can ride with your wife. So, your KS16S is not as fast as any tesla model so you don't have to worry about speed. I think you need to focus on range. That's why I suggest you to keep an eye (at least) on the tesla 850Wh version.

40 minutes ago, Nick R said:

So are you saying on the 680WH  (57.2V battery) max speed is 29 MPH ? and the 1020WH  84V battery , max speed is 37 ?
I would never go faster than 37..  29 sounds like a good compromise to me if I can get the 680WH unit for $400 less than the 1020WH Tesla model. 

I'm not saying anything, Gotway themselves are saying this, as this is their early Tesla spec sheet.

On second look, these max real numbers look super optimistic. Considering @Tishawn Fahie says in his Tesla speed review that he wouldn't push the 84V 1020WH over 33MPH (not comfortable, and Tishawn is probably one of the fastest and lightest EUC riders out there), I would reduce the 67V Tesla max accordingly.

30 minutes ago, Nick R said:

850WH is not an option.. At least not on GotwayAmerica site

Gotway Tesla 850WH from Green Fashion & Travel AliExpress shop (a reputable brick & mortar chain of EUC shops in S. China)

39 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I plug it in and overnight it charges.. I can't limit how much to charge it ... or can I ? 

Buy a Gotway 84V (GX16-4) Charge Doctor V2 from eWheels, or the maker himself, hobbyist (France), then charge with it connected inbetween set to turn off the charge via UP V mode, probably ~80V for 80% on an 84V Tesla, something under 67V for 67V Tesla.

I'd prefer a 84V version. There's a 850 Wh 84V model, which seems the right choice to combine with a 16S. @Marty Backe can tell yoou all about the differences between 67V and 84V , he had it both on the ACM and msuper V3.

I would not try to go above 30 mph. Even @Tishawn Fahie in his Youtube video review of the Tesla said at 31 mph it starts being too much, and that guy rides fast. What is possible and safe depends on rider weight and battery state too.

--

14 minutes ago, Nick R said:

You use a charge doctor (which is a small device you plug between wheel and charger and also allows stopping at certain voltages = battery percentages, here: http://hobby16.neowp.fr/buy/ - if you get one, I recommend a dual input one so you can quick charge with 2 regular chargers), or a charger with built in charging modes (ewheels.com has such chargers)

5 hours ago, Nick R said:

Jason McNiels... if you see this.. I'd love to hear your reason for not offering the 680WH model at Ewheels 
GotwayAmerica has both models .. Price difference is about $400 .. pretty sizable difference. And for what I need (cruising around parks for 3-4 hours) I think 680WH should be sufficient and save me that $400 price difference.. 

Isn't GWA's price for the 680Wh $1200, which is only $250 less than the 1020Wh variant on eWheels.com—it should be noted that before we went live, their price for the 1020Wh was of $1899, nothing like a bit of competition to bring prices inline.

The main rational of not bothering with the lower capacity models, is because the wholesale price increment savings are not proportional in the 680-850Wh; the typical Purchaser who intends to take the plunge on an expensive Wheel, like the Tesla, usually doesn't mind paying this slightly higher price for substantially more capability, both in terms of performance & range with the 84v, as @houseofjob has pointed out. 

Archived