Los Angeles CicLAvia - 10/8/2017

YoshiSkySun

CicLAvia is an Open Streets event held in Los Angeles where streets are closed to motor vehicles and open for the public to walk, bike, and skate through the open streets. This event is planned by the nonprofit organisation CicLAvia. The event takes place this Sundays, and is open for a predetermined set of hours. This started out as a once-a-year occurrence but later expanded to four times a year. In fact, plans to have CicLAvia once a month are in the works. While it may seem primarily intended for cyclists, many people can be seen skateboarding, running, or walking down the path. Each street that is closed off is attended by traffic, and police, officers who direct the cars to alternative routes through Los Angeles, and through the various car crossing points, and volunteers who assist participants with info or aid. On some streets the traffic lights are still in service, which means the bikers and pedestrians must abide by the traffic laws. LAPD Traffic Divisions and LADOT Parking Enforcement Traffic Officers are guarding each intersection to allow ultimate safety of the community during this event. CicLAvia brings together densely populated and diverse neighborhoods through a bike route. The event now attracts over 100,000 participants and expands to connect even more neighborhoods.

http://www.ciclavia.org

17 hours ago, YoshiSkySun said:

CicLAvia is an Open Streets event held in Los Angeles where streets are closed to motor vehicles and open for the public to walk, bike, and skate through the open streets. This event is planned by the nonprofit organisation CicLAvia. The event takes place this Sundays, and is open for a predetermined set of hours. This started out as a once-a-year occurrence but later expanded to four times a year. In fact, plans to have CicLAvia once a month are in the works. While it may seem primarily intended for cyclists, many people can be seen skateboarding, running, or walking down the path. Each street that is closed off is attended by traffic, and police, officers who direct the cars to alternative routes through Los Angeles, and through the various car crossing points, and volunteers who assist participants with info or aid. On some streets the traffic lights are still in service, which means the bikers and pedestrians must abide by the traffic laws. LAPD Traffic Divisions and LADOT Parking Enforcement Traffic Officers are guarding each intersection to allow ultimate safety of the community during this event. CicLAvia brings together densely populated and diverse neighborhoods through a bike route. The event now attracts over 100,000 participants and expands to connect even more neighborhoods.

http://www.ciclavia.org

Looks interesting. Are you going to this? Planning a meetup location and time?

15 hours ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

If you read the rules,nothing with a motor,i.e. e bikes and hooverboards are allowed.

It doesn't mention EUC anywhere. And we all know that 'motor' does not apply to EUCs.

8 hours ago, YoshiSkySun said:

I’ve brought my euc to this event many times and nobody gives me a hard time about it...I’ll be there early at 11 and we can meet anywhere...

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" scared me away from going, but now that you've chimed in with you positive experience, I'm going. Let me know where to met and I'll be there. I'll leave about 2 hours early so I'll have enough time to fine a parking spot.

Since everyone is arriving at different times, let’s connect through text messages and we can decide on a designed location to meet up. In term of parking, it is every man for themselves...refer to the map for reference points...I’ll be there at 11am, see y’all soon. :)

On 10/7/2017 at 8:05 AM, Marty Backe said:

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" scared me away from going, but now that you've chimed in with you positive experience, I'm going. Let me know where to met and I'll be there. I'll leave about 2 hours early so I'll have enough time to fine a parking spot.

I've gone to the Hollywood Reservoir ( https://www.yelp.com/map/lake-hollywood-reservoir-hollywood ) five times and each time the DWP cops that are there always kick me out because my EUC has a motor. So some places that don't allow motors do enforce this rule. :( It sucks because it's a great place to ride.

4 hours ago, JamakinJoel said:

I've gone to the Hollywood Reservoir ( https://www.yelp.com/map/lake-hollywood-reservoir-hollywood ) five times and each time the DWP cops that are there always kick me out because my EUC has a motor. So some places that don't allow motors do enforce this rule. :( It sucks because it's a great place to ride.

We've been kicked off the Hollywood Reservoir too. No use arguing with the non-thinking DWP cops - common sense is not allowed

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 8:46 AM, YoshiSkySun said:

Here's the video of that joyful day.

I forgot how much fun that ride was. Great video! Can't wait for the next one in Dec. Maybe we can actually get @Marty Backe to show up on his new Tesla, Before he burns another Mosfet.:P

25 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

I forgot how much fun that ride was. Great video! Can't wait for the next one in Dec. Maybe we can actually get @Marty Backe to show up on his new Tesla, Before he burns another Mosfet.:P

BTW, when I met up with Jason he showed me all the KS18 upgrade kits - one has your name on it I believe. They look like nice 'kit'

39 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, when I met up with Jason he showed me all the KS18 upgrade kits - one has your name on it I believe. They look like nice 'kit'

Cool.I think Xmas is coming early this year.BTW; Are u about ready for a Cogswell redo?

4 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Cool.I think Xmas is coming early this year.BTW; Are u about ready for a Cogswell redo?

Maybe. The weather is nicer.

Group turnouts have been poor lately though. I think everyone got burned out on rides, so I've been doing my own thing lately.

3 hours ago, YoshiSkySun said:

Hey Marty! You gotta join us next time, this is the second time that you missed out...i believe you will totally dig the vibe. Can you imagine having the streets all to yourself? How often does that happen? Never.

I very much hope to. I'll keep a lookout for it.

• 1 year later...

Archived