GOWAY Tesla: Teardown Video

The Tesla seems to have the same wires (14AWG or 16AWG gauge). But they are individually sleeved, so can't easily short together. Also maybe they are the thicker ones (14AWG) like in later ACMs (Marty and I had the shorting with earlier ACMs with thinner 16AWG wires).

So will the Tesla fry on steep and loooong hills? No idea. The chances are better it can do it, but it's no competition to real wiring like on the Kingsong S models. 14 AWG is still too thin for prolonged high currents, it has to be able to deal with this for an unlimited time.

Disclaimer: this is just theory, to know for sure, someone has to try the thing on the hill Marty's ACM died, for example.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you read @Marty Backe's thread about it, you'll see the ACM did in fact not overheat...  the motor wires melted their insulation and shorted way before the wheel could overheat :-)

Thanks for the info, that puts my mind at rest.  I already thought, it would be something serious. :D

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't like having fans inside my wheels - a mechanical part that will probably fail much sooner than the other parts.

I agree completely with that.  On the other hand, in case a fan dies, the board becomes sooner hot, and in a decent architecture the wheel should start tilting back and beeping alarms, but not turn itself suddenly off.

Edited by Asylsteirer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, diegoxxx said:

do you think the Tesla model can have the same ACM cable or other if there is a problem with melting the cable,

Can you try rephrasing your question? I can't understand what you are asking.

10 minutes ago, diegoxxx said:

I mean, cables are the same in ACM, do you think Tesla will have the same problem in the movie

Oh. Well, I have no direct experience with the Tesla, but from what I've seen (pictures and descriptions of the inside), there is still a possibility of cable melting. However, keep in mind that this is only possible if you are climbing very steep hills for 30+ seconds. Let me describe steep.

You are climbing a hill, leaning heavily forward, and the wheel is only moving at 5km/h (very slowly). Those are the conditions that could cause cable problems in the Gotway wheels. For me that only happens during mountain trail riding, and I now avoid those kind of hills.

Otherwise I don't think the Tesla will have any problems.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh. Well, I have no direct experience with the Tesla, but from what I've seen (pictures and descriptions of the inside), there is still a possibility of cable melting. However, keep in mind that this is only possible if you are climbing very steep hills for 30+ seconds. Let me describe steep.

You are climbing a hill, leaning heavily forward, and the wheel is only moving at 5km/h (very slowly). Those are the conditions that could cause cable problems in the Gotway wheels. For me that only happens during mountain trail riding, and I now avoid those kind of hills.

Otherwise I don't think the Tesla will have any problems.

From what i know they have done the axle wider/thicker...so there is a chance they also improved the wire thickness.

We will see ;-)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

FWIW, Gotway has reportedly (Baidu poster source) improved the Tesla to run cooler than their previous wheels.

Running cooler has no direct relationship to melting motor wires. It's possible for the wire insulation to melt without the control board temperature getting too hot. But this will only (possibly) occur under very heavy, sustained, motor loads.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, diegoxxx said:

thank you for the long and cool message, high speed 40+ should not be a problem

Motor wire melting (technically, the insulation melting) occur under high current conditions. This occurs when the motor is operating in a high torque situation such as slowing climbing a hill. Riding your wheel very fast will not be heating the wires.

Our wheels actually operate cooler when then are running fast because of the larger air flow across the wheel and lower loads on the motor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think Gotway sealed up the wheel area from the control board pretty well as evidenced in this video.  When you have a spinning tire going through water, it brings up a huge spray that gets all over the inner part of the shell.  That seam right under the fans and control board must actually be a sealed piece that likely extends across to the other side completely to prevent water getting at the board I'm guessing.   Someone's sure to post up more detailed disassembly videos as these wheels start reaching dealers and customers.

I wish you could customize the lights like on the Ninebot One E+.  That multi-coloured rainbow skittles display is a little too much. :blink:  Maybe some different variations and colour patterns would be nice.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/5/2017 at 12:16 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think Gotway sealed up the wheel area from the control board pretty well as evidenced in this video.  When you have a spinning tire going through water, it brings up a huge spray that gets all over the inner part of the shell.  That seam right under the fans and control board must actually be a sealed piece that likely extends across to the other side completely to prevent water getting at the board I'm guessing.   Someone's sure to post up more detailed disassembly videos as these wheels start reaching dealers and customers.

I wish you could customize the lights like on the Ninebot One E+.  That multi-coloured rainbow skittles display is a little too much. :blink:  Maybe some different variations and colour patterns would be nice.

The seam under the control board is "sealed" with a piece of black tape (similar to duct tape), which have caused a lot of people to scratch their heads when disassembling the tesla. It can be removed without removing the control board, but it's tight. Any way you probably want to seal it back up when done so....

Also the first part that would take in water are the 2 fans that both are RIGHT at the seam

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1