portable parking stand?

ir_fuel

The only issue I currently have with my euc is parking it. Since it is round it doesn't always want to stay upright when leaned against something (unless I leave it turned on of course ...), and there isn't always something near to lean it against. Since it is made out of hard plastics I am not really a fan of putting the euc down on its side either, because it will scratch the shell a lot easier.

I was wondering if nobody came up with some kind of foldable/portable parking stand? I wonder how hard it would be to make one, considering the low cost of 3d printing, but then again I don't have 20 different types of wheels to test it. 

However, if we found some generic solution it would be quite easy to adapt it to each different type of wheel if 3d printing is used to build it, since it would just require tweaking the design file for the physical dimensions of the euc we want to park. No need to produce 1000 of each.

I started playing around in some 3d modelling software to see what I could come up with, but if people here have suggestions and/or ideas, shoot!

The problem with a guitar stand (I have one for my V8) is that the rubber of the wheel sometimes prevents the euc from leaning over hard enough against the back of the stand. Happened several times that I put the V8 on the stand to come back later and find it has rotated its body because of lack of presseure on the backside (if you understand what I mean).

I am thinking more of a stand that goes under the euc, enclosing the wheel and whereby the euc casing rests on the 4 corners of the stand, with some rubber padding, so it can't rotate.

This of course means 1 type of stand per type of euc, but that shouldn't be a problem I guess.

The guitar stands are so inexpensive and close to what you want that it would be good if something could be added to deal with the problem. Perhaps you could add a "collar" at the top of the stand and attach it somehow? Maybe bend something out of a coat hanger and run it through some closed cell foam like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PGO8T8/ then attach to the top of the stand? Not quite sure how it could be securely attached, maybe run the "legs" of the loop down the sides of the stand for stability.

Edited by dmethvin

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Portable/dp/B01N9OTUWT/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1506516912&sr=8-14&keywords=foldable+guitar+stand

but with an extension for the middle part.

Then again, if we could make something that supports the wheel from underneath, it could maybe be made compact enough that it can be folded to fit inside a pocket. Smaller than the guitar stand when it is folded.

I have four guitar stands, three are the amazon basics and one is the small portable aluminium one similar to the one above. The amazon basics can even keep my msuper upright but that stand sure as hell isn't portable while the aluminum cannot easily keep any wheel upright due to the small grip surface of the back.

I usually just prop my wheel unto a corner or against a wall while on, however my KS14, KS16, and MSuper are extremely loud wheels even when idling against a wall.

I don't think wheels should be leaned forwards or backwards as that's unstable no matter how big you make your stand/fender.

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I like the idea of this. I've tried several small folding guitar stands but the V8 is high and top heavy. The small stands never go high enough behind the wheel and it wants to roll off.

Just let the V8 ‘roll over’ to the side until it rests against the front legs the wheel rests on.  Problem solved. 

5BAC6756-E415-495E-94F1-424DB006D920.jpeg

44 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Regrettably the perfectionist in me would cause my soul to die a little each time I did this.:D

Why ?

It’s resting safely like that. 

How does a person rest ?  Standing up straight ? No. 

Do you see motorcycles on center stands much these days ?  No. 

(Most motorcycles don’t even come with a center stand even these days.)

It’s possible you maybe confusing the ‘perfectionist in you’ (as you put it) with actually being OCD. 

Edited by abinder3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Why ?

It’s resting safely like that. 

How does a person rest ?  Standing up straight ? No. 

Do you see motorcycles on center stands much these days ?  No. 

(Most motorcycles don’t even come with a center stand even these days.)

It’s possible you maybe confusing the ‘perfectionist in you’ (as you put it) with actually being OCD. 

No confusion. I know I'm OCD about it. Most people would not like a picture that was not straight on a wall. I would not like a wheel that wasn't upright. I don't use a spirit level on it (the wheel) or anything but upright is just more ascetically pleasing for me. I do use a spirit level on photo frames. :blink1: I am who I am.

• 4 months later...

Bumping up this thread, the fresh owner of V8 I am...

Looking for parking stand alternatives for Inmotion V8 since I cannot just order a custom acrylic stand like I did for my 9b1 (because of chinese new year celebration...)..

On ‎27‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 6:11 PM, ir_fuel said:

It's OCD

I also hate seeing this :) 

On ‎27‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 6:26 PM, WARPed1701D said:

No confusion. I know I'm OCD about it. Most people would not like a picture that was not straight on a wall. I would not like a wheel that wasn't upright. I don't use a spirit level on it (the wheel) or anything but upright is just more ascetically pleasing for me. I do use a spirit level on photo frames. :blink1: I am who I am.

Count me in, guys ;) I won't be satisfied until my EUC's stays upright (at least when parked at home)   "Straighten Up and Fly Right"  (c) The Andrews Sisters 

The Amazon Basics guitar stand is the best bet in my opinion. It supports the V8 well because of the high backrest. It does fold up but isn't the most portable or lightweight stand if that is what you are looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018FCZKR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_tVzHAb8HJJ63A

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 3

Yes @WARPed1701D is totally correct about the guitar stands. The Aroma is another nice portable stand that will easily fit into your backpack. It holds the V8 well, and I have even used it for my KS18s, but only up against a wall since its sooo heavy. But the V8 is the perfect weight for it.

stay away fro that all plastic foldable stand. It is just not enough stability for a EUC. They are about $10/ stand so buy a few. Lol

The foot pedals brace up against the back pad and keep the EUC upright. You have to place it at the correct angle on the stand and it will stay upright using that back pad as a brace against the pedals.

Edited by Stan Onymous
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

The Amazon Basics guitar stand is the best bet in my opinion. It supports the V8 well because of the high backrest. It does fold up but isn't the most portable or lightweight stand if that is what you are looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018FCZKR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_tVzHAb8HJJ63A

I have purchased a number of these Amazon models. There excellent. You can also bend the 2 foam covered stirrups slightly for an optimal fit. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll see into getting myself a guitar stand maybe... But will try the more minimalistic approach with clear acrylic stand first to see how it goes. Seems that it could be a good enough solution for V8 too:

5a869cfa02b0d_Utennavn.jpg.64c34c9bb0ce10dcc064a9affee3bc9e.jpg

Edited by Vik's

I bought a couple of the small wire stands a while back and the problem with them is that depending on the model of EUC they get caught on the wheel and you have to pull it off. You can't just lift the wheel up. Before I got the guitar stand I was solving the problem by using cable ties to stick it to the mat on my stand, you can see them here:

HPKgQkf.gif 

18 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I bought a couple of the small wire stands a while back and the problem with them is that depending on the model of EUC they get caught on the wheel and you have to pull it off. You can't just lift the wheel up. Before I got the guitar stand I was solving the problem by using cable ties to stick it to the mat on my stand, you can see them here:

HPKgQkf.gif 

I do remember your stand from another "parking stand"-topic.  And yeah, I've been though those napkin holders too (wire stands) for 9b1.

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

HPKgQkf.gif 

That's really nice. I was thinking it would be good to add crossbars to hold other safety gear (knee pads, elbow guards, wrist guards). That set-up is almost there!

I got one of those cheapey guitar stands with plastic hinges....it broke from the weight of my EUC, so I just lean it up against the wall now. 

• 6 months later...