Kiwano KO1 - One Wheel Scooter

Henrik Olsen

On 11/17/2018 at 11:08 PM, israndy said:

I will take it up my driveway at the mountain cabin this weekend and let you know, but I don't think it will bat an eye.

Yeah, that could have gone better. Turns out I am 250 lbs and that's just too heavy to go up my driveway. The scooter gave up the ghost and we fell forward, but the scooter didn't know it and started accelerating lying flat on it's face, took off thru the woods, I thought it was headed for my neighbors windshield, but it stopped when it hit the cinder block it stopped. It was covered in dirt. I rode it down the hill just fine, but again when I tried to ride it up, it just stalls. It's a pretty steep drive, but I didn't think it was greater than 30%, perhaps it would have been fine for a kid, just not a big old guy.

So I went to hose it off, as it's water resistant, and it started beeping like I was holding the on switch down. Finally it turned off but I haven't been able to get it on since. The display fogged up yesterday so I put it in the sun and by the fireplace last night. Today the fog is gone, but I think so is my beloved scooter.

-Randy

IMG_5331.jpg

Edit: OK, a follow-up. After a day the display cleared. Before that everytime the scooter cooled the fog came back. After another two days the button finally came back to working, perhaps it was after plugging into power. Perhaps that reset the computer inside. But when I did touch the button it squealed JUST like when I had gotten water on it. Holding the button again and it turned off, unlike when the water got in. A couple of days later I had been struggling to figure out how to reset the scooter w/o a keyboard or really any other input. It occurred to me that perhaps I could reset it with the iPhone app. So I launched the app and then powered on the bike, THIS time it stood right up and self-balanced just like it used to.

I still haven't heard back from the support staff at Kiwano and now the countdown to the release of the K01+ has reset to 64 days, grrr... But happy the bike is alive.

Edited by israndy
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I did hear from them, they asked for my Order #, sadly they didn't send me one, just an email receipt that said what I had paid... I replied with my serial number for them to look up, but have not heard back... again. Of course, it's JUST over a year old, so perhaps my warranty is up.

-Randy

Edit: OK, a follow-up. Remember back in November when I got it working again? Yeah, not so much anymore. It's back to acting like it's dead, press the button and nothing happens. And it was working so well... Contacted Kiwano and eventually they responded to my used purchase:

Hello Israndy, 

I am afraid we can't provide you some help. We need atleast an order number to prove that unit was bought from our website directly. We do not repair units from third party seller. If it was bought from other website who are our authorized reseller, they should communicate with them and our reseller will be the one to communicate with us. Hope you understand. Thanks! 

Kiwano

Edited by israndy
  • Upvote 1

How to take apart the Kiwano K01

Remove the headlight:

IMG_5444.jpg.a685269573fee661469b037b473adb3f.jpg

Remove the 5/32" Allen screws on the front and pry the plastic apart to unclip it from the tube

IMG_5445.jpg.0e30b95384e87ff0988023e8607622f3.jpgIMG_5447.jpg.5192acf53400fb3628c71f93201fb74e.jpg

Using the 5/64" Allen wrench remove the upper two headless screws under the headlight

IMG_5448.jpg.3f9c059a101adbfe06bb926bc5b0a389.jpg

Using a Torx 10 driver remove the other two recessed headless screws, these four hold a brace against the back of the tube

IMG_5450.jpg.b4c9b9478c80ace416bfc6a826730e95.jpg

Raise the handlebars carefully now that they are free

IMG_5451.jpg.15909312e27ea71fe1593d19d824265d.jpg

Remove the brace piece that was holding them in the tube

IMG_5452.jpg.541f211096a91b7de5a379519039127f.jpgIMG_5458.jpg.fc69a3ff351bc4d3dd530aaab674e5be.jpg

Again with a 5/32" Allen wrench remove the screw and washer from the front and the back

IMG_5460.jpg.0366dcbb42119cd480e36445a3e2c9ad.jpg

Pull the connectors up thru the hole in the attachment piece and leave it in the tube

IMG_5462.jpg.647257bd5b6c0f7917909edd68ef3f81.jpg

Cut the zip ties holding the connectors together, don't worry the cables are the same colors on both sides

IMG_5466.jpg.49f4d033d6008b310cb7ad782c74255f.jpg

Again with the 5/32" wrench remove the two screws and washers holding the handlebars onto the display

IMG_5470.jpg.027a3d2ff3913b1f19e83d1b65949947.jpg

Use a normal Phillips head to remove the other half of the handlebars, stack parts back on the bike

IMG_5471.jpg.48f0260c56a8a165cc38171b2ab82052.jpg

Finally, remove the tiny Phillips head screws to get inside the display

IMG_5474.jpg.ac2b3405f3ecbe61a04ae2f388c52192.jpg

Don't lose the parts you took off the Kiwano K01

IMG_5472.jpg.5ea64b3af83f06549bf058af5224f4e2.jpgIMG_5473.jpg.f6b69e8f61c3f4e29dba3abffd6df4fa.jpg

IMG_5475.jpg.71bcff6fe50a582880b94ccfcb472623.jpg

-Randy

Edited by israndy
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

OK, took the bottom apart, similarly to how I took the handlebars apart, same tools, same clip to hold the pipe in place. I am out of upload space so I cannot show the images here, but quickly again, there are Torx screws that squeeze the clip against the inside of the pipe. First, take off the tail light and unclip the fixture. Those two screws that hold the light fixture on screw into a hole that has another Torx screw pressing against the clip at the back, loosen those two and then just above those are two more screws and undo those and the support pipe should be loose from the bottom. If you want to detach that piece from the wheel just pull it out, you'll see there are 3 pins that align the bottom to the support that will need to be lined up again to put it back together. There is also a single thick cable that contains all the control cables for the wheel that just pulls apart. When you go to reassemble the cable there are arrows you line up and just press it back together.

The fix for my scooter and for anyone who needs to reboot your scooter is the yellow/orangish connectors in the photo below. That is the main power from the battery. Just tug and they disconnect, it's a lot of juice at a voltage you will feel if you get in the circuit so try not to touch the connectors. You will hear the bike re-energize when you plug it back in. Reassembled and my bike is back up and running. I may still have issues, water and electronics are deadly. Even people whose phones I helped to dry out I would always explain that it may be fine today, maybe even tomorrow, but someday that corrosion will get bad enough that it will stop working. That will be the day you need to replace your device, and remember today when we are drying it out was the cause of the failure.

I didn't see ANY issues with the moisture that got in and it looks like the bike dried out fine, but the liquid definitely caused my issues. Just really glad to be back on the road for now. I still don't see any better small scooter on the market for adults needing to go small distances with ease. Just a shame the company is so flakey.

-Randy

IMG_5929.JPG

all photos uploaded to https://www.flickr.com/photos/israndy/albums/72157703798335731/with/45845177704/

Edited by israndy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got to talk to Kiwano in their booth at CES. Seems like everyone who owns one of these so far got them as part of an early release program. What they learned from them is going into the new units, the K01+, the bike with red accents. They guys there were hardpressed to say what the differences were, claimed the software was better, but when I asked if the software on my bike could be upgraded to make it the same, they hedged. Perhaps they are abandoning the 2018 bikes already. They didn't have an ETA and the website is still pretending they haven't been announced. Perhaps when they do announce them someone will know what makes them better than the original one.

-Randy

• Upvote 2

Hey Randy, thx for your updates and information on this bike. I just purchased 1 a few days ago, haven't had any issues besides the app not working so I was searching for information on that. I will post my experiences with the Kiwano k01 Sport periodically. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Looks like the guy who I met in Vegas isn't able to help. He was hoping to work for them, but didn't get the gig. Not that I need much, the scooter works great. But a new headlight and handlebar caps would be great.

-Randy

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There isn't a fuse that I saw (and I posted all the photos above). Pretty easy to take apart following the photos above.

50217844208_2d1ff3893d_k.jpg

My problem is that I have just lost one of the footpegs. Just snapped off one morning. I am 260lbs, but the scooter is rated for 550lbs, so not sure how this happened. Still recovering from the fall, I think I busted my wrists. The footpegs are clipped in with c-rings like a rearview mirror, but the piece that broke is where that attaches to the bike, so I need a new cast piece to fix this.

But going to the Kiwano.co website just shows a contact sheet if we wanna be updated when they release a new product. Grrr.

Edited by israndy

1 hour ago, Gustesta said:

Was kiwano a scam? Or just really a bad product? 

I thought it was a scam, but after seeing one in person and watch it trundle down the pavement, I certain it's just a bad product let alone useful as a daily commuter

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i've been trying to find out anything i can on the kiwano k01+; and came across this post.

i purchased one for my son for christmas (just opened today), it accidentally crashed into a wall and the screen was busted - it still turns on but just beeps; the screen lights up but since it is broken, nothing is legible. 

i'm wondering, since this thread is relatively new, if there is any one out there that can help fix this?  would a scooter electrician be able to fix this... the kiwano facebook and website seem to be dead; if you go to the kiwano website right now, the only product that is selling is a PS5 charger (yes, super random).

and since i purchased this from a 3rd party via amazon, i don't think i'll have any luck with the reseller.

thoughts anyone?! kid is heart broken, lesson learned but hoping someone may have some idea on how to get this potentially fixed... even if we wanted to get a new one; it definitely looks like this product is discontinued and we won't be able to get it anywhere else...

Sorry for your kid, no fun.

The product seem to be discontinued, and the concept, albeit interesting, isn't really functional. Most scooter repair guys go with standard parts so chance there is slim. An alternative might be finding a broken one to scavenge parts from.

If you considered getting another (new/working) one, I'd very much recommend getting a electric unicycle instead, it will be a more functional device with popular support and available parts. You can look at an inmotion V5F which doesn't break the bank.

yes, it sounds like we're SOL :(... i tried opening up the K01+ via the pics above, similar process, but sounds like some damage to the board itself and you're right - not sure a regular repair person would even have the parts for this; i guess i could check and see if I CAN sell this one for parts ;) (everything is new except for the cracked screen :( .. doh!!!)

23 minutes ago, null said:

Sorry for your kid, no fun.

The product seem to be discontinued, and the concept, albeit interesting, isn't really functional. Most scooter repair guys go with standard parts so chance there is slim. An alternative might be finding a broken one to scavenge parts from.

If you considered getting another (new/working) one, I'd very much recommend getting a electric unicycle instead, it will be a more functional device with popular support and available parts. You can look at an inmotion V5F which doesn't break the bank.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jacknew said:

yes, it sounds like we're SOL :(... i tried opening up the K01+ via the pics above, similar process, but sounds like some damage to the board itself and you're right - not sure a regular repair person would even have the parts for this; i guess i could check and see if I CAN sell this one for parts ;) (everything is new except for the cracked screen :( .. doh!!!)

Honestly IMO, this is one of those times where its best to cut your losses & move on. The K01 is one of those neither fish nor fowl thangys & terrible at everything else. Like @null wrote, get your kid a real EUC instead or even an escoot or ebike. Any of them will be much more fun & at the end of day, that's what's most important.

Sell whatever you can & get something he'll enjoy. Good luck & Happy Holidays

7 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Honestly IMO, this is one of those times where its best to cut your losses & move on. The K01 is one of those neither fish nor fowl thangys & terrible at everything else. Like @null wrote, get your kid a real EUC instead or even an escoot or ebike. Any of them will be much more fun & at the end of day, that's what's most important.

Sell whatever you can & get something he'll enjoy. Good luck & Happy Holidays

No sir i enjoy my ... n it  others love seeing it.

6 hours ago, xSAMCOx said:

No sir i enjoy my ... n it  others love seeing it.

I don't doubt it. That said, some ppl like to be spanked (& then some) but it don't mean its mainstream nor should be recommended. My reply was to the poster who's device's busted & instead of investing time, effort & more $$$ in a repair, perhaps its a sign to move on. IMO the K01 was/is a very flawed product from the get go.

As a monowheel, IMO its laughable compared to an EUC in just about every metric except perhaps it can traverse sand & similar loose substrate better due to its wide flat tire. If one really wants &or need a handle, the Segway minibot with extended handle bar mod is a much better option with an easier learning curve for the average joe or more importantly, the average child where safely (I hope) is prime. IMO ofcos.

Granted I have not ridden the K01 but the YT vids of ppl on it says plenty. That said its only my impression & I fully admit I can always be wrong. I've also not tried jumping off a building so perhaps its fun as well but I have seen pics of what usually happens. Hyperbole ofcos but you get the drift.

Have you directly compared the K01 to any other PEVs? Again I don't doubt you (& I'm sure there's others) who enjoy it but I'm wondering if its because its better in any particular way or if its just cos of the novelty? Asking only cos I'm a bit curious but you don't have to reply ofcos. 

Edited by Scottie888
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

I don't doubt it. That said, some ppl like to be spanked (& then some) but it don't mean its mainstream nor should be recommended. My reply was to the poster who's device's busted & instead of investing time, effort & more $$$ in a repair, perhaps its a sign to move on. IMO the K01 was/is a very flawed product from the get go.

As a monowheel, IMO its laughable compared to an EUC in just about every metric except perhaps it can traverse sand & similar loose substrate better due to its wide flat tire. If one really wants &or need a handle, the Segway minibot with extended handle bar mod is a much better option with an easier learning curve for the average joe or more importantly, the average child where safely (I hope) is prime. IMO ofcos.

Granted I have not ridden the K01 but the YT vids of ppl on it says plenty. That said its only my impression & I fully admit I can always be wrong. I've also not tried jumping off a building so perhaps its fun as well but I have seen pics of what usually happens. Hyperbole ofcos but you get the drift.

Have you directly compared the K01 to any other PEVs? Again I don't doubt you (& I'm sure there's others) who enjoy it but I'm wondering if its because its better in any particular way or if its just cos of the novelty? Asking only cos I'm a bit curious but you don't have to reply ofcos. 

Not ridden or tryed a euc yet , its a goal of my in 2021 to try n learn. Buy like You seen the kiwano minuses on Youtube i also seen the minuses of EUCs on YouTube the accidents the faults people have with diffrent Brands.well if one dont try one cant really jugde from others persons exsperiences.

The kiwano is more a toy a EUC is/can be a transport device it how i see it.