• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Arklag said:

A. larger pedals

B. Shift your weight around from left to right, heel to toe

C. Stiffer shoes with more cushioning

D. Deflate your tires a little

You could still do all of that and still be uncomfortable. 

a. i have pretty large pedals
c. can you give me an example?
d. i will try

Try adjusting your foot position forward and back on the pedals. It's a balance for me. Too far forwards and the heel of my foot hurts. To far back and I can get some left to right wobble of the front of the wheel during acceleration. Just right and I can cruise with no pain or wobble.

Also check the tilt calibration of the wheel and pedal angle.

13 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Try adjusting your foot position forward and back on the pedals. It's a balance for me. Too far forwards and the heel of my foot hurts. To far back and I can get some left to right wobble of the front of the wheel during acceleration. Just right and I can cruise with no pain or wobble.

Also check the tilt calibration of the wheel and pedal angle.

how to tilt the calibration? how it should be?

7 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

When my feet get sore, I stand on top of the EUC for a couple of miles. 

on top?

26 minutes ago, Noam Elad said:

how to tilt the calibration? how it should be?

How you do it depends on the type of wheel you have. I can only speak of how to do it on an Inmotion V8. Tell us your wheel make and model and someone can help you.

What you are doing when calibrating is telling the wheel when the pedals are level with the ground. It remembers this. You can then tell the wheel if you prefer the pedals to tilt up or down a little during normal use. This can alter the pressure points on your feet.

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

How you do it depends on the type of wheel you have. I can only speak of how to do it on an Inmotion V8. Tell us your wheel make and model and someone can help you.

What you are doing when calibrating is telling the wheel when the pedals are level with the ground. It remembers this. You can then tell the wheel if you prefer the pedals to tilt up or down a little during normal use. This can alter the pressure points on your feet.

i have ks16s
what is the better way?

Hopefully someone will be along shortly who knows about the 16S and can help you calibrate it. Then you can adjust the tilt as you see fit to try and get more comfortable. Until then try the original suggestion of placing your feet further back/forward.

Cool you finally got your wheel after your import odyssey!

In addition to the other tips:

• This may take some practice to get better or go away, so it will just take some time.
  • Reposition your feet often (step off, step on again). Offroad (ddirt road) riding is also more relaxing (to me, at least) because the bumpyness constantly does tiny changes to your feet stance.
  • Calibrate your pedals to counteract he pain. If the front of your foot hurts (more pressure there than on the back), tilt them slightly forwards so the pressure is more equalized. If the back of your feet hurts (more pressure there than in the front), tilt the pedals slightly backwards (to put some of the pressure on the front).
    (Warning: didn't try it, this is theoretical.)

I believe foot pain falls into this category of injuries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_ulcer

As far as I can tell, foot pain isn't something your body gets hardened against. It's not like muscles whereby the more you stress it the less effect it has on you.

Therefore I believe the solution to foot pain is entirely neurological, and therefore restoring circulation to consists of distributing pressure on your foot, and moving around so circulation is restored. Gritting your teeth and pushing through the pain isn't appropriate in this case; listen to your pain.

When going uphill where the pressure to the front foot is constant, I will often simply lift one foot and place the heel on the tip of the front pedal, and push down. Probably not safe, but, damn, the pain relief is immediate and significant.

What helped me a lot from tips on this forum was placing my foot way more forward on the paddles than you would expect. So that the heels align with the center of your wheel. My pain disappeared. It only reappeared after a long ride with strong wind from the front, then my feet starts to burn because my feet pushing harder to keep the speed.

2 hours ago, Clifmeister said:

What helped me a lot from tips on this forum was placing my foot way more forward on the paddles than you would expect. So that the heels align with the center of your wheel. My pain disappeared. It only reappeared after a long ride with strong wind from the front, then my feet starts to burn because my feet pushing harder to keep the speed.

So your heel is in the middle of the foot rests ?

You must have really small feet.
My arches would almost be off the front of the foot rests on my KS18 if I did that.

9 hours ago, Noam Elad said:

a. i have pretty large pedals
c. can you give me an example?
d. i will try

Taken to the extreme --hiking boots. Im not that familiar with the types of shoes out there, but just try bending the sole and seeing how hard it is. The stiffer it is, the less likely it is to warp around the pedal and have pressure points. Also, I believe adding a thick insole would help too, but i havent done this myself. My feet just dealt with the pain and it eventually they stopped complaining. 

11 hours ago, abinder3 said:

So your heel is in the middle of the foot rests ?

You must have really small feet.
My arches would almost be off the front of the foot rests on my KS18 if I did that.

Actually I have bigfoots, EU Size 45. And yes alot of my feet are unsupported by the paddle. It really helped me getting relaxed on the legs because all the pressure is on the heels which can handle most of the force. If I put my feet more back it feels like im constantly walking on my toes and getting cramps.

40 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Clif, the way you describe it sounds like your heel is at the middle of your pedal, and it sounds impossible to even do. 

You can do this on the KS16s because at no place do your ankles ever touch the wheel as the padding touches only your upper parts of your legs. I think you could ride this wheel with just footpegs instead of footpads.

While this is the V3s, very similar.

Archived