Next upgrade option after the Inmotion V8

Clifmeister

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Forget the s'es and s+'es, not even Gotway is consistent with that.

There are 4 of each wheel, msuper V3 and ACM:

• 680 Wh (67.2 V)
  • 820 Wh (67.2 V)
  • 1300 Wh (84 V) [often called the "s" version]
  • 1600 Wh (84 V) [often called the "s+" version]

Whether to get an ACM or ms3, I can't tell. 84V strongly recommended. You could argue ms3 is a bigger difference to the V8, but if you want a smaller wheel, the ACM is also going to be a big difference. Follow your heart:P

Oh thanks for the clarification!

If I want to drive forest routes and bycicle lanes, can you then recommend any of the two? Or are they both agile enough to do it all? And range wise, if I would pick the 1600 are they ave equal range?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Apparently braking hard eats up huge amounts of energy as I've discovered this week from my new amusement of braking hard at each stop. The wheel must be switching from regenerative braking to using energy to keep you upright.

Always thought that this would increase range because of the regeneration, I always break hard, which gives me a good feeling. Maybe during my test I will try to break more evenly.

On 9/21/2017 at 4:12 AM, Clifmeister said:

So yes,

I fell in love with EUC, I managed to ride around some KM with my Inmotion V8 learning machine. It’s a great machine and gets me everywhere I like. It’s fast and did not fail me! The only thing that concerned me was the range. After a full charge the battery turns red after about 13 km, with a constant speed of 25 km/h, and a weight of 95 kg (last is probably the biggest factor of range). That’s all good and it let me finish a fun trail, but I want to do some bigger trails and don’t have to worry about my range. I like the 16 inch, and don’t wat to step up to 18 inch (I like to keep it low profile, so not everybody starts to see it as a monster vehicle)

Do you guys have valid upgrade options? Which give me at least double the range, and the same speed 25-30 km/h. Don’t need to go faster I really like the constant speed I’m currently used to.

I keep looking at the Gotway ACM, 1300 version. Or the king song 16s versions. What do you guys think? Is it even possible with my weight/constant speed. 

So what are great upgrade routes coming from an Inmotion V8?

I think if you are coming from the V8, you will not like the ACM 87v because it is much wider.  I'm still trying to "like" the Msuper 87v and so far I don't like it after about two months.  I love the KS16 and can get about 75km of range from the 840wh battery.  I suggest you go with the KS16S because it is closes to the V8 form factor and you will not have any issues adjusting to it since it is also as thin as the V8.  It also has 50% more power and 5km/h more in top speed which i think is perfect in terms of cruising and hitting the wind barrier.  The KS16S also has a great trolley handle just like the V8, the ACM you have to make your own like frankenstine.

I also think that most Gotway folks don't know how natural the KS16S feels vs the ACM.  

39 minutes ago, Clifmeister said:

Always thought that this would increase range because of the regeneration, I always break hard, which gives me a good feeling. Maybe during my test I will try to break more evenly.

As I understand it regeneration works to a point but then the natural resistance of the wheel working as a dynamo is insufficient and power must be used to brake harder. I could be wrong...and probably am.

55 minutes ago, Clifmeister said:

If I want to drive forest routes and bycicle lanes, can you then recommend any of the two? Or are they both agile enough to do it all? And range wise, if I would pick the 1600 are they ave equal range?

Forest routes and bicycle lanes should be easily doable with both wheels. Look how @Marty Backe e.g. uses his ACM and msuper V3, far worse than that, and they do it easily.

I think they are equal range. Maybe a liiiiittle less on the msuper because it seems bigger tires need a little more battery (or you just go faster with a more stable/faster wheel). But the difference should be barely notable, maybe a few km (pure guess).

I think the decision is between price, more torque, smaller (ACM) and more stable and relaxing to ride and not 16 inch (msuper V3). I really can't recommend one over the other, because they are both so different to the V8 (even the 16 inch ACM).

12 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

As I understand it regeneration works to a point but then the natural resistance of the wheel working as a dynamo is insufficient and power must be used to brake harder. I could be wrong...and probably am.

Yea, pretty sure that's the case. As long as the wheel does not have to do anything, regeneration if the tire rotates. But if it has to work, this soon uses more battery than regen gives.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I think if you are coming from the V8, you will not like the ACM 87v because it is much wider.  I'm still trying to "like" the Msuper 87v and so far I don't like it after about two months.  I love the KS16 and can get about 75km of range from the 840wh battery.  I suggest you go with the KS16S because it is closes to the V8 form factor and you will not have any issues adjusting to it since it is also as thin as the V8.  It also has 50% more power and 5km/h more in top speed which i think is perfect in terms of cruising and hitting the wind barrier.  The KS16S also has a great trolley handle just like the V8, the ACM you have to make your own like frankenstine.

I also think that most Gotway folks don't know how natural the KS16S feels vs the ACM.  

OK, I'll be the Gotway defender in this thread.

Just because you are coming from the thinner V8 does not mean you won't like the wider ACM. The ACM is different which does not make it worse. I've owned multiple versions of the ACM and find the 1300wh version very maneuverable because of it's wider stance.

The 1300wh is a heavy wheel and therefore feels more rooted to the ground. It's more stable at high speed.

If you want to travel great distances without experiencing range anxiety the ACM is the only wheel to buy. If you have the budget, get the 1600wh version. Most people wish they had more battery capacity not less. If you don't think you'll ever ride more than 30 miles, the KS16 could be a great wheel for you.

The ACM does not have a built-in trolley handle, but Gotway makes an external one which is no "frankenstine". The MSuper has a built-in trolley handle. The KS18 does not. See, you can't judge a wheel only by it's lack of a trolley handle.

There are actually people who own both Gotway and KingSong wheels and find them both enjoyable (myself included). I see no reason to trash Gotway in favor of KingSong or trash KingSong in favor of Gotway. There is no perfect wheel. They all have their own personalities.

I don't think KingSong makes any bad wheels and I don't think Gotway makes any bad wheels.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just because you are coming from the thinner V8 does not mean you won't like the wider ACM. The ACM is different which does not make it worse. I've owned multiple versions of the ACM and find the 1300wh version very maneuverable because of it's wider stance.

The 1300wh is a heavy wheel and therefore feels more rooted to the ground. It's more stable at high speed.

If you want to travel great distances without experiencing range anxiety the ACM is the only wheel to buy. If you have the budget, get the 1600wh version. Most people wish they had more battery capacity not less. If you don't think you'll ever ride more than 30 miles, the KS16 could be a great wheel for you.

The ACM does not have a built-in trolley handle, but Gotway makes an external one which is no "frankenstine". The MSuper has a built-in trolley handle. The KS18 does not. See, you can't judge a wheel only by it's lack of a trolley handle.

There are actually people who own both Gotway and KingSong wheels and find them both enjoyable (myself included). I see no reason to trash Gotway in favor of KingSong or trash KingSong in favor of Gotway. There is no perfect wheel. They all have their own personalities.

I don't think KingSong makes any bad wheels and I don't think Gotway makes any bad wheels.

Yay! @Marty Backe is in my thread!! I already drove wider wheels and that was no problem, maybe because of my length. Thanks all for giving me directions. I want to travel greater distances so I want more range. For the smaller distances I would use my V8.

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Personal taste, I think the bolt on trolley handle is nasty if you compare it with the KS16S.  The Msuper trolley handle is in the wrong place, makes it awkward to use.  The KS18S doesn't have a trolley handle probably because they thought it was tall enough since the body is tall so that you can ride it a comfortable seated position.  

I still don't like the wide body of the 87v gotways.  Look at the new Tesla, no wide body to make for an awkward ride.  Probably why Tishawn likes it so much, because it feels like a KS16S, but faster.  You shouldn't have to get used to a wheel.  I know when I went from the X3 to the ninebot, it felt much better.  Then when I went from ninebot to KS16 it felt sublime.  When I bought the KS18S it didn't feel awkward.  When I went to the Msuper it was very awkward.  Just my personal opinion.  No need to get defensive.  Even Ian from speedyfeet mention how awkward it was when he initially got on to the Msuper V3s+.  The Msuper V3s+ was a bad design.  They didn't want to figure out how to put more batteries into the unit, they just made it fatter.  You can see it in the case.  It was the easy button.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yay! @Marty Backe is in my thread!! I already drove wider wheels and that was no problem, maybe because of my length. Thanks all for giving me directions. I want to travel greater distances so I want more range. For the smaller distances I would use my V8.

1 minute ago, Clifmeister said:

I own the ACM and MSuper which both get approximately the same range. If you're a bigger frames guy the MSuper would probably be more comfortable, and it's a great cruiser and more comfortable for trail riding. The ACM, being a 16 inch wheel is the best general purpose wheel which handles it all. I've done everything with my ACM.

I do think that if you have a desire for range the Gotway lineup is best. The KS18S is certainly a good alternative, but be aware that it may be more of an acquired taste because of it's tall shell. Some people love it and some people don't. The upcoming KS18L is much anticipated, but the rumors are that it will be limited to ~1000wh battery :crying:

10 minutes ago, Clifmeister said:

if you need more than 75km range then you need more than the KS16S can give you.  the KS18S goes up to 1600wh, so should give you about 140km range.  it isn't top heavy like the Msuper.  good luck!

7 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Personal taste, I think the bolt on trolley handle is nasty if you compare it with the KS16S.  The Msuper trolley handle is in the wrong place, makes it awkward to use.  The KS18S doesn't have a trolley handle probably because they thought it was tall enough since the body is tall so that you can ride it a comfortable seated position.  

I still don't like the wide body of the 87v gotways.  Look at the new Tesla, no wide body to make for an awkward ride.  Probably why Tishawn likes it so much, because it feels like a KS16S, but faster.  You shouldn't have to get used to a wheel.  I know when I went from the X3 to the ninebot, it felt much better.  Then when I went from ninebot to KS16 it felt sublime.  When I bought the KS18S it didn't feel awkward.  When I went to the Msuper it was very awkward.  Just my personal opinion.  No need to get defensive.  Even Ian from speedyfeet mention how awkward it was when he initially got on to the Msuper V3s+.  The Msuper V3s+ was a bad design.  They didn't want to figure out how to put more batteries into the unit, they just made it fatter.  You can see it in the case.  It was the easy button.

I don't think you are objective. Maybe it's not your intention, but you appear anti-Gotway in most of your writing, IMHO.

I love my Gotway wheels yet do not feel it necessary to drag KingSong through the dirt to justify my choices in wheels. The KS14S is the best 14 inch wheel made. When we get into the 16 and 18 inch wheels it gets a lot more complicated because the best wheel then greatly depends on how you want to ride. The KingSong options may be best for some people. It's great that we have choices.

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

if you need more than 75km range then you need more than the KS16S can give you.  the KS18S goes up to 1600wh, so should give you about 140km range.  it isn't top heavy like the Msuper.  good luck!

The KS16S also seems a nice option, the 18 version I personally think looks ugly as hell, maybe because of the height. I want to keep it low profile. Maybe steering a little more towards gotway because my fav reseller speedyfeet does not sell any kingsong.

6 minutes ago, Clifmeister said:

The KS16S also seems a nice option, the 18 version I personally think looks ugly as hell, maybe because of the height. I want to keep it low profile. Maybe steering a little more towards gotway because my fav reseller speedyfeet does not sell any kingsong.

I bought my ACM, MSuper, and Monster from Speedyfeet. Can't go wrong if Ian has what you're looking for :thumbup:

8 minutes ago, Clifmeister said:

Love Ian and his videos.  Yes it is unfortunate he doesn't sell King Song.  Yes, the 18" is a matter of personal taste.  I tend to take my KS16 most places unless I need to ride for a long time, then the seat of the KS18S is a god send.  Anyway, keep in mind if you are not used to riding long, after about 1-2 hours, you will probably need to rest.  

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't think you are objective. Maybe it's not your intention, but you appear anti-Gotway in most of your writing, IMHO.

I love my Gotway wheels yet do not feel it necessary to drag KingSong through the dirt to justify my choices in wheels. The KS14S is the best 14 inch wheel made. When we get into the 16 and 18 inch wheels it gets a lot more complicated because the best wheel then greatly depends on how you want to ride. The KingSong options may be best for some people. It's great that we have choices.

Marty, it is my opinion.  so it is what I like.  I point out the issues I see and others are coming from certain wheels, they may have the same feelings I do.  

Personally, I still hate the Msuper.  I don't get why you are offended by me not liking it compared to the King Songs.  It is my opinion, it can't be wrong.  LOL.  I think I'm in a very good position to voice my opinion on this as I own quite a few wheels.  I can tell you I hate the POS airwheel.  and now I hate the ninebot as well.  the KS16 puts the ninebot to shame, it is that good.  I think you are taking things a little bit personal.  I'm just pointing out the things I don't like about the Msuper V3s+ I own vs the King Song's I own.   To me when comparing them, I view the gotway's as having design flaws.  Again, it is just my opinion as I compare them to King Song.  

I also think that when you haven't ridden the King Song, you don't know what you are missing.  It is that good. 

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Marty, it is my opinion.  so it is what I like.  I point out the issues I see and others are coming from certain wheels, they may have the same feelings I do.  

Personally, I still hate the Msuper.  I don't get why you are offended by me not liking it compared to the King Songs.  It is my opinion, it can't be wrong.  LOL.  I think I'm in a very good position to voice my opinion on this as I own quite a few wheels.  I can tell you I hate the POS airwheel.  and now I hate the ninebot as well.  the KS16 puts the ninebot to shame, it is that good.  I think you are taking things a little bit personal.  I'm just pointing out the things I don't like about the Msuper V3s+ I own vs the King Song's I own.   To me when comparing them, I view the gotway's as having design flaws.  Again, it is just my opinion as I compare them to King Song.  

I also think that when you haven't ridden the King Song, you don't know what you are missing.  It is that good. 

Lets face it, you're just a hater ;)

I've ridden the KingSong wheels (18, 16S, 14). I love EUCs in general. I can't say that I hate any wheel. They are all a blast.

You should be more open minded and stop hating so much :)

On 9/21/2017 at 2:12 AM, Clifmeister said:

So yes,

I fell in love with EUC, I managed to ride around some KM with my Inmotion V8 learning machine. It’s a great machine and gets me everywhere I like. It’s fast and did not fail me! The only thing that concerned me was the range. After a full charge the battery turns red after about 13 km, with a constant speed of 25 km/h, and a weight of 95 kg (last is probably the biggest factor of range). That’s all good and it let me finish a fun trail, but I want to do some bigger trails and don’t have to worry about my range. I like the 16 inch, and don’t wat to step up to 18 inch (I like to keep it low profile, so not everybody starts to see it as a monster vehicle)

Do you guys have valid upgrade options? Which give me at least double the range, and the same speed 25-30 km/h. Don’t need to go faster I really like the constant speed I’m currently used to.

I keep looking at the Gotway ACM, 1300 version. Or the king song 16s versions. What do you guys think? Is it even possible with my weight/constant speed. 

So what are great upgrade routes coming from an Inmotion V8?

King Song 16S. Do NOT under any circumstances buy GOTWAY. 

In my opinion, Gotway is crap from the ground up. (I have owned an MSuper V3).

Here come the Gotway fanboys comments.. 

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Lets face it, you're just a hater ;)

I've ridden the KingSong wheels (18, 16S, 14). I love EUCs in general. I can't say that I hate any wheel. They are all a blast.

You should be more open minded and stop hating so much :)

You are probably right.  I hate how Gotway treats their customers.  I think it is unacceptable.  I don't hate the wheel, I just hate it if I had to choose between my others.  But if I had to choose, they would be in the following order...

KS16/KS18S, Msuper, Ninebot, Segway Minipro, Manual Unicycle, Airwheel X3.  LOL

16 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

King Song 16S. Do NOT under any circumstances buy GOTWAY. 

In my opinion, Gotway is crap from the ground up. (I have owned an MSuper V3).

Here come the Gotway fanboys comments.. 

The KS16S won't provide the range that he's looking for.

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Guys, he needs the range, so it's either 18S or Gotway 84V. Stop arguing for the 16S.

He needs range (2x the amount) relative to the apparently faulty 12km he is getting from the V8. In that case the 16S is a solid upgrade to suggest. It would get him about 5 times what he gets now. Compared to a properly working V8 you would be right of course. The models under consideration right now would likely give 8 or 10 fold increase over his current wheel performance. Maybe more than needed given the original request along with the weight burden so many Wh brings with it.

Well at least I want the a ride of at least 25 km forward and 25 back. So around 50 km in total. I trusted on the advertised range of the V8 which was around 45 km. Which I don’t get. The 16S advertised on 75 km will probably result in max 50 km. So on the edge of what I want... probably want to play it save and buy something which gives me plenty of distance instead of running on the edge... 

I’m not as light as all of you guys but don’t tell anybody ??

Archived