Next upgrade option after the Inmotion V8

Clifmeister

So yes,

I fell in love with EUC, I managed to ride around some KM with my Inmotion V8 learning machine. It’s a great machine and gets me everywhere I like. It’s fast and did not fail me! The only thing that concerned me was the range. After a full charge the battery turns red after about 13 km, with a constant speed of 25 km/h, and a weight of 95 kg (last is probably the biggest factor of range). That’s all good and it let me finish a fun trail, but I want to do some bigger trails and don’t have to worry about my range. I like the 16 inch, and don’t wat to step up to 18 inch (I like to keep it low profile, so not everybody starts to see it as a monster vehicle)

Do you guys have valid upgrade options? Which give me at least double the range, and the same speed 25-30 km/h. Don’t need to go faster I really like the constant speed I’m currently used to.

I keep looking at the Gotway ACM, 1300 version. Or the king song 16s versions. What do you guys think? Is it even possible with my weight/constant speed. 

So what are great upgrade routes coming from an Inmotion V8?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Clifmeister said:

So yes,

I fell in love with EUC, I managed to ride around some KM with my Inmotion V8 learning machine. It’s a great machine and gets me everywhere I like. It’s fast and did not fail me! The only thing that concerned me was the range. After a full charge the battery turns red after about 13 km, with a constant speed of 25 km/h, and a weight of 95 kg (last is probably the biggest factor of range). That’s all good and it let me finish a fun trail, but I want to do some bigger trails and don’t have to worry about my range. I like the 16 inch, and don’t wat to step up to 18 inch (I like to keep it low profile, so not everybody starts to see it as a monster vehicle)

Do you guys have valid upgrade options? Which give me at least double the range, and the same speed 25-30 km/h. Don’t need to go faster I really like the constant speed I’m currently used to.

I keep looking at the Gotway ACM, 1300 version. Or the king song 16s versions. What do you guys think? Is it even possible with my weight/constant speed. 

I have a v5f+......probably going to trade up to a Kingsong 14s next. I'd recommend that, unless you are only interested in 16inchers.

Gotway's seem to simply have far too many QC and electrical issues right now and probably for the foreseeable future. The stress seems to outweigh the enjoyment with them. Although admittedly I've only ridden one once.

Yeah it's a constant battle for me now. Gotway ACM or Kingsong 16S. I'm reading and I tent to move to kingsong because of there build quality "seems" better.

And "battle"... I still love my V8 in the meantime. Still saving money for the next upgrade :-)

1 hour ago, Clifmeister said:

Yeah it's a constant battle for me now. Gotway ACM or Kingsong 16S. I'm reading and I tent to move to kingsong because of there build quality "seems" better.

And "battle"... I still love my V8 in the meantime. Still saving money for the next upgrade :-)

Your other option of course is seeing what Inmotion release next to replace the V8.

Given the Solowheel takeover however, you can bet whatever it is will be bloody expensive

I'm in the same situation. V5F+ (now sold) and 2000 km on a V8 (that I love). I need more range, I need more speed. Right now I'm attracted by the Tesla for the performances but I don't really like it aesthetically and I'm afraid of the "Gotway Factor". Another wheel I really like is  the Singsong KS18s but I'm afraid to loose agility. Help!

38 minutes ago, phatmike said:

I'm in the same situation. V5F+ (now sold) and 2000 km on a V8 (that I love). I need more range, I need more speed. Right now I'm attracted by the Tesla for the performances but I don't really like it aesthetically and I'm afraid of the "Gotway Factor". Another wheel I really like is  the Singsong KS18s but I'm afraid to loose agility. Help!

The KS18 is more agile than you think.  I really like my KS18AY.  The KS18S just enhances the experience.  @KingSong69 can give you a good idea about the KS18S. 

But I’m sure you would really like the KS16S by the reports ‘floating’ around. 

Just a couple weeks now on the KS16S and I am blown away by it's range. I'm doing about 6mi a day and it's dropping about 5%/day. I did one 10 mi day a couple days ago, and it went from 74% to 44%, with V dropping to around 61V. So, I suspect the supply curve is not linear, prob a chart around here somewhere. I recharged it after that, but pretty sure I could get another 5-10 miles before hitting 30%. I think with my build, it is really getting me about 25-30 mi to the 30% mark. Not completely sure, but for me, anything over 20 mi is awesome.

Also, very impressed by it's torque. It takes me up 30 degree driveways from a slow start without a problem. And, just 2 weeks into it, I am frequently catching up to bicyclists downtown (in the bike lane)...very amusing. They can be 1 or 2 blocks away, and I catch up to them in 5 or 10 seconds. Crazy fast.

There is a chart in the KS16 manual with a percentage to volts table. I'm unsure what the percentage denotes, I treat it somewhat like a gas tank percentage although I know that's wrong.

I usually keep my charge at about 85%, as charges above 60% are noticeably more responsive, and once you get below 40% the pedals are quite soft.

Below 40% I strongly suggest treating the wheel very carefully, not accelerating hard at all on it, and keeping the speed quite low. I say this because at below 40% and 100kg I can easily buckle the pedals, make them almost scrape the pavement, about as soft as the medium setting on 100% charge.

A 6.5 mile run takes my charge from 85% to 60%.

6 hours ago, Clifmeister said:

So yes,

As someone who recently bought at a V8, but has concerns about it's range, I'm alarmed about the mileage you're getting out of a charged battery.  Speedyfeet did a range test as part of his review and the results were underwhelming.  Others seem to get a consistent 30km.  I know a higher cruising speed will lower that value.  Weight will, too, but it still seems unusual to me that you should be only getting 13km before showing red. 

7 hours ago, Clifmeister said:

So yes,

I keep looking at the Gotway ACM, 1300 version. Or the king song 16s versions. What do you guys think? Is it even possible with my weight/constant speed. So what are great upgrade routes coming from an Inmotion V8?

I'm very surprised to see only 13km of range for you? What kind of terrain are you riding on...mountains?!? When I had a 25kph limit on my wheel I got 24 miles from it (a new wheel with no battery wear, flat terrain, 30C ambient temperature). That is 38 km. I weigh less (about 75kg) but there is no way 20kg should drop your range by 2/3 unless it is dragging you up hills all the time. How old is the wheel? I think it is highly possible you may have a battery problem.

EDIT: Just seen you live in the Netherlands. No mountains there! Highly inclined to believe you have a fault. Even a worn battery shoudl be giving you more than 13km range.

23 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

There is a chart in the KS16 manual with a percentage to volts table. I'm unsure what the percentage denotes, I treat it somewhat like a gas tank percentage although I know that's wrong.

I usually keep my charge at about 85%, as charges above 60% are noticeably more responsive, and once you get below 40% the pedals are quite soft.

Below 40% I strongly suggest treating the wheel very carefully, not accelerating hard at all on it, and keeping the speed quite low. I say this because at below 40% and 100kg I can easily buckle the pedals, make them almost scrape the pavement, about as soft as the medium setting on 100% charge.

A 6.5 mile run takes my charge from 85% to 60%.

This Chart Percentage to Voltage is just showing what percentage of Batterie Charge means which voltage...

I can assure you that the "S" Series have no soft pedals on a lower Charge...On the Contrary: the wheel is stable over the complete range....and the pedals are rock hard!

And another Thing: If you say that - at what Charge does not matter- you can nearly "buckle" the pedals to scrape on the ground...i would check the motherboard if the "big capcitor" is Ok and not damaged!!...This is no "normal" behaviour on a KS16....and as there have been (early)KS16 board Versions with big capacitor Problems(which makes the pedals weak) i would go and check that...Weak pedals are a sign of capacitor Problems.

28 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

This Chart Percentage to Voltage is just showing what percentage of Batterie Charge means which voltage...

I can assure you that the "S" Series have no soft pedals on a lower Charge...On the Contrary: the wheel is stable over the complete range....and the pedals are rock hard!

And another Thing: If you say that - at what Charge does not matter- you can nearly "buckle" the pedals to scrape on the ground...i would check the motherboard if the "big capcitor" is Ok and not damaged!!...This is no "normal" behaviour on a KS16....and as there have been (early)KS16 board Versions with big capacitor Problems(which makes the pedals weak) i would go and check that...Weak pedals are a sign of capacitor Problems.

Uh oh, and would the capacitor problem also manifest itself in a front to back oscillation of around 6 per second?

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I notice the ninebot feels weaker as the voltage goes down.  At 55% the app showed a little over 55 volts, full charge is just over 62 volts.  I can only buckle the pedals doing a hard braking and lean back too far.  The pedals stay hard under normal braking and acceleration.

9 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Uh oh, and would the capacitor problem also manifest itself in a front to back oscillation of around 6 per second?

Sorry, i dont understand what you mean exactly, can you decribe better?

......but osciallations are normally no capacitor Problem...

It is just that i have a quite bit experience on KS16....and i NEVER got weak pedals, that i am able to press them down(even not on 20%)...only as the capacitor was defect!

And i was btw 100kg also....

8 hours ago, Clifmeister said:

There is nothing that can replace your V8 on the market right now. You could always get a new battery from eWheels for additional range. I get 22 miles on mine at 28% power left. I weigh 62kg. It takes about 5-10 minutes to change the battery. That said, none are as light and functional as the V8 so I suggest you wait on that smooth V8 feel for now. Kingsong's KS16S is a close replacement. Its only 30% heavier at 38lbs, than the V8 with at least twice the range.

You may also wait for the Tesla, since it will have the same weight and a little more speed than the KS16 or lighter V8. Also is about the same height and feel as the V8. But both the KS16 and the Tesla have a heavier feel under your feet. It will feel like riding an iron slab after the V8, but variety is the spice of life.

i have tested the KS16s for a few minuts in Monterey this year and found it to be very sturdy, fun with a trolley handle built in and great weight balance. You wont really notice the extra weight the majority of the time until you have to lift it or in tight turns. Have no idea of the Tesla ride, but @houseofjob has promised a review. It may be up already. He's a great reference for EUCs too.

@Stan Onymous thanks, but my promise was a review on my GT16 to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love (I will post, promise!), not the Tesla. 

Only had a chance to have a brief ride on @Tishawn Fahie's Tesla, so I don't want to speak on it more than that, but was trying to chime in here and there seeing as Tishawn does not post that regularly on here.

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Only had a chance to have a brief ride on @Tishawn Fahie's Tesla, so I don't want to speak on it more than that, but was trying to chime in here and there seeing as Tishawn does not post that regularly on here.

Oh thats right. He only had some skinny girl riding it like a feather, and I thought I read that you were given a ride on it and were going to review, since I like your reviews better. @Tishawn Fahie needs an editor IMHO :huh:. Lots of extraneous info which is helpful, but better displayed in writing for me, and not enough riding stress testing in the review I saw. So C'mon @Tishawn Fahie what are your thoughts on this Tesla? We are about the same size, so I am interested in your in depth thoughts on this EUC. He is thorough on in depth thoughts. :D

Some numbers:

With my 1300Wh ACM at ~80kg rider weight, I get:

• 75 km range in 25°C temperatures and speed around 25 km/h max (around 20 km/h average).
  • 60 km range in 10°C temperatures and speed around 30 km/h max (around 25 km/h average).

(Those are including the slow, low battery beeping last few km. Also, no hills worth mentioning in there, but at least 50% gravel bike paths instead of smooth pavement only.)

Weight eats battery (like you can see for yourself), lower temperatures reduce battery too, going faster (wind resistance) makes quite the difference.

Usually the 16S would be the natural V8 upgrade path (same type of wheel and rider might be interested in both, similar features), but even 840Wh are not double that of your 480Wh in the V8, so you can't really expect to double the range this way.

So ACM 1300Wh (or 1600Wh), Tesla (>1000Wh version) or Rockwheel GT16 1036 Wh are your bigger battery 16 inch options. Your decision whether you want to exchange the really-nice-except-for-the-battery 16S for the rougher-around-the-edges-but-bigger-battery alternatives.

I would not exchange my ACM for a 16S simply because of the battery, but that's me. But if you really want to at least double your range and since you're in the Netherlands, no mountain problems can possibly happen, the 1300+ Wh ACM seems like the best choice. It's also more different to your V8 (wide stance, glued to the ground vs narrow stance, wobbly V8 with its low weight) than the 16S would be, so you'll have a broader horizon of riding styles with an ACM in your collection.

Also, don't be afraid of 18 inch wheels, they are barely bigger than 16 inchers, when you ride them you don't feel the size anyways, they still don't look big to outsiders (even the Monster seems rather small imho), the 16 inchers are already crazy heavy to lift, so not so many downsides as you may think. msuper V3 and 18S are right there. You could also consider the coming 18L (lower KS14/16-like version of the 18S) if you want to wait and want to hope they'll offer that with the same battery sizes as the 18S. Then you can have KS quality AND (if they don't fuck it up by only having <1000Wh variants) a big battery/big range, even if you don't like the 18S form factor.

6 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I'm very surprised to see only 13km of range for you? What kind of terrain are you riding on...mountains?!? When I had a 25kph limit on my wheel I got 24 miles from it (a new wheel with no battery wear, flat terrain, 30C ambient temperature). That is 38 km. I weigh less (about 75kg) but there is no way 20kg should drop your range by 2/3 unless it is dragging you up hills all the time. How old is the wheel? I think it is highly possible you may have a battery problem.

EDIT: Just seen you live in the Netherlands. No mountains there! Highly inclined to believe you have a fault. Even a worn battery shoudl be giving you more than 13km range.

You bought the V8 around the same time as me, i drive on near flat surface, no mountains nothing. I will ask SpeedyFeet if there is something wrong...

7 minutes ago, Clifmeister said:

You bought the V8 around the same time as me, i drive on near flat surface, no mountains nothing. I will ask SpeedyFeet if there is something wrong...

Good move. Even if you still want to upgrade to a different wheel you want to be able to sell the one you have for as much as possible. That would be hard to do given it is operating at less than half of range I would expect for you to be getting allowing for weight. Something is certainly not right.

Do you use the inmotion app, or better still the new version of WheelLog that works with the V8? I'd be interested to see what voltage the apps report around 30 minutes after a full charge and also when you run out of power. If you can install wheellog and take a log of a long journey then do so and post the log file here (remove Lat/Lon for privacy). I'd like to compare voltages and riding style.

Just now, WARPed1701D said:

Do you use the inmotion app, or better still the new version of WheelLog that works with the V8? I'd be interested to see what voltage the apps report around 30 minutes after a full charge and also when you run out of power. If you can install wheellog and take a log of a long journey then do so and post the log file here (remove Lat/Lon for privacy). I'd like to compare voltages, riding style and voltages.

That’s a great idea, let me do that. I’m on vacation next week for a week. I will try to do the same trail as last time when I get back. A second thing I noticed what happened twice on me now is that after a full charge, putting the device on the machine reported an empty battery, then after putting it back off and on it reported full again... strange but fixed itself I guess...

3 minutes ago, Clifmeister said:

That’s a great idea, let me do that. I’m on vacation next week for a week. I will try to do the same trail as last time when I get back. A second thing I noticed what happened twice on me now is that after a full charge, putting the device on the machine reported an empty battery, then after putting it back off and on it reported full again... strange but fixed itself I guess...

What device is this?

Archived