Does anyone know someone who quit riding the EUC?

Kuji Rolls

10 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

On any one trip, <Voldermort> is extremely unlikely to happen but over time the chances of <Voldermort> approaches 1, or near certainty.

How's that full face helmet looking now?

:roflmao:

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's not so much the risk of quitting than the risk of riding too rarely.

Right now I'm feeling like riding a car with the parking brake on. I see those mountains I can't go up (properly) all the time, the fact that the crappy electronics might give out any time is always on mind. It just sours the entire thing. Also don't have a commute which would be the obvious riding motivation. So I'm more or less convincing myself to ride because what I ride then isn't really what I'd like to do (though it's fun and I'm glad I did it afterwards each time).

I would not be surprised if a lot of people considered EUCs, maybe had an Airwheel or Ninebot, but didn't upgrade because they weren't really happy with the state of things after reading about Gotway failures etc together with prices etc.

Are you aware of anything within Gotway's production timetable that gives you optimism they may have something in the pipeline that will better suit your needs?  It seems like there's been a steady move on their part towards bigger and more powerful machines.  Even the Tesla with it's 2000w motor would seem to be a move in your direction.    

I was thinking about the OP's question earlier this afternoon and, being a noob, ended up wondering how confident people were before they bought their first machine that they were going to enjoy it and it would be something they would stick with long-term.  There is still a fairly high cost of entry.  I find it a little scary and imagine that's a common experience.  I know I went through the classic stages of denial in coming to grips with the price for a decent wheel.  I guess it's up to the individual to decide, but I've found it helpful that there was another noob who seems to have followed a very similar path only a few months earlier in my fellow trek fan and V8 rider 1701D.    

I mentioned how I haven't been as excited about a new technology since virtual reality became mainstream like it has in the last year.  The cost of a VR system has decreased 50% in the last year and the sales volume has increased largely in proportion.  If you could take the Inmotion V8 and make it $300, would we be looking at widespread mainstream adoption?  I'm new to the EUC market and don't have those kinds of insights, but I'm fascinated to learn more and try to anticipate how it will grow.   

6 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Are you aware of anything within Gotway's production timetable that gives you optimism they may have something in the pipeline that will better suit your needs?  It seems like there's been a steady move on their part towards bigger and more powerful machines.  Even the Tesla with it's 2000w motor would seem to be a move in your direction.    

I was thinking about the OP's question earlier this afternoon and, being a noob, ended up wondering how confident people were before they bought their first machine that they were going to enjoy it and it would be something they would stick with long-term.  There is still a fairly high cost of entry.  I find it a little scary and imagine that's a common experience.  I know I went through the classic stages of denial in coming to grips with the price for a decent wheel.  I guess it's up to the individual to decide, but I've found it helpful that there was another noob who seems to have followed a very similar path only a few months earlier in my fellow trek fan and V8 rider 1701D.    

I mentioned how I haven't been as excited about a new technology since virtual reality became mainstream like it has in the last year.  The cost of a VR system has decreased 50% in the last year and the sales volume has increased largely in proportion.  If you could take the Inmotion V8 and make it $300, would we be looking at widespread mainstream adoption?  I'm new to the EUC market and don't have those kinds of insights, but I'm fascinated to learn more and try to anticipate how it will grow.   

Once you get through your learning phase, you will then understand why this will most likely forever remain a niche 'sport', if you can call it that. In my opinion cost is not the primary barrier to entry, but difficulty in learning is. You will understand ;) 

That's what I was suspecting, Marty.  My first thought was "yeah, of course" when I asked myself whether a massive price decrease would bring EUCs mainstream, but then I hesitated when I considered the learning curve and possibly the safety factor, too.  

I'm giving greater consideration to a full-faced helmet as a result of the discussion here.  It's been something I've wanted to avoid, and even if I get a full-faced, I'll still get a regular helmet for low-speed riding.  Only question on the wrist guards is whether I'm ponying up for the expensive ones everyone raves about.  Already pretty sure I'm going to grab a pair of x-gear or whatever it's called elbow pads.  I can see how being protected can keep you in the hobby longer. 

14 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

wondering how confident people were before they bought their first machine that they were going to enjoy it and it would be something they would stick with long-term.  There is still a fairly high cost of entry.  I find it a little scary and imagine that's a common experience.

I felt the same way and bought the cheapest wheel I could find, (270usd TGT3 with a tiny battery)but it was way too underpowered to learn on at my weight. 200lbs.  Then  I found an Osdrich on Craigslist for 300USD, learned on it for about 30 miles, after learning bought a Ninebot one E+ for 950USD and have been riding it for about 18 months.  Now I am stuck at my level, I would like a better wheel, but am not sure if I really need a better wheel, because I don't do rides longer than 45 minutes or ride at high speed.  I would say get a midrange wheel to learn on and see if you like it, not too much money but good quality and safety.  A ninebot or midrange Inmotion would work, wrap it with some padding because you will step off many times while learning, then if you don't like it you can still sell it and get some of your money back.

https://www.smartwheel.ca/Unicycle-style_c_82.html

8 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I felt the same way and bought the cheapest wheel I could find, (270usd TGT3 with a tiny battery)but it was way too underpowered to learn on at my weight. 200lbs.  Then  I found an Osdrich on Craigslist for 300USD, learned on it for about 30 miles, after learning bought a Ninebot one E+ for 950USD and have been riding it for about 18 months.  Now I am stuck at my level, I would like a better wheel, but am not sure if I really need a better wheel, because I don't do rides longer than 45 minutes or ride at high speed.  I would say get a midrange wheel to learn on and see if you like it, not too much money but good quality and safety.  A ninebot or midrange Inmotion would work, wrap it with some padding because you will step off many times while learning, then if you don't like it you can still sell it and get some of your money back.

https://www.smartwheel.ca/Unicycle-style_c_82.html

I'm curious why you don't ride for longer than 45 minutes. You don't have places to ride? You get bored? Or is it physical? I'm not being judgmental, but am interested in knowing the various motivations that people have for riding.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm curious why you don't ride for longer than 45 minutes. You don't have places to ride? You get bored? Or is it physical? I'm not being judgmental, but am interested in knowing the various motivations that people have for riding.

One thing that has surprised me is the number of folks who complain of sore feet limiting their ability to stay on the wheel for lengths of time. 

Do urban wheelers tend to ride shorter distances than those who live in more spread out areas?  If I was living in the tiny town that I lived in a few years back, I'd have been more likely go with a stronger, rangier wheel.  

The biggest source of continuing uncertainty for me is how far I'm going to want to ride, but after some reflection I feel more comfortable with the idea of grabbing a quick charger from ewheels if it becomes an issue.  If the graph I saw is accurate, you can put about 10km on the battery in 20 mins of charge time. 

I think i now someone that don't ride at the moment.

Not because he don't like it anymore, but because other choises probably in his young live.

I think i just quit when i  don't have the opportunity to ride anymore ( to old, injury, broken wheels and no money ).

I'm glad in a way that i live in flat holland, no problems till now with bunt mosfets or things.

The weather isn't to warm here  eather, small chanche for overheating also.

Very good to use instead of a car, because off smaller distances.

In my area there is a lot off forest/lakes and fun-nice and interest places to ride with.

I go to places with the EUC where i don't go with the bike or car.

And every time i ride the EUC, still over 5000 km i still think it's fun.

Had 1 bad fall, with 6 months off recover off an injury.

So i keep on wheeling i hope as long as possible.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Me, too.  My knees start hurting a little.  And the pedals are too small.

So you definitely need a new wheel then, something with comfy pedals. The MSuper is known to be one of the most comfortable rides out there :D I don't think there's a wheel with more comfortable pedals, but I may be wrong.

3 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I guess it's up to the individual to decide, but I've found it helpful that there was another noob who seems to have followed a very similar path only a few months earlier in my fellow trek fan and V8 rider 1701D.    

<offTopic>I guess we really could be Bruthas From Another Mutha (see GForm thread on safety forum)...I have a HTC Vive. Spend what little time I can spare right now in Elite Dangerous. Unreally cool to feel like you are in a space ship cockpit.</offTopic>

Cool. thanks for the responses. I am actually a fairly experienced rider despite my n00b rank. Ive been riding for about a year and have gone through the E+, P, V8, Mten3 and collectively gone about 5km. I mainly use it as a commuting device and its pretty much attached to me wherever i go. The only exception is when im going out to a bar/club or some place where I know i wont be able to conveniently store it. 

As much as i love this thing, im confused as to why adoption has been so slow... or declining. These things are so versatile, convenient, cheap (relative to other modes of transportation), and fun. Why am i not seeing them everywhere? I dont want to be known as the guy with the unicycle, but thats been my life. 

5 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

<offTopic>I guess we really could be Bruthas From Another Mutha (see GForm thread on safety forum)...I have a HTC Vive. Spend what little time I can spare right now in Elite Dangerous. Unreally cool to feel like you are in a space ship cockpit.</offTopic>

Staying off-topic, but I hope you've had a chance to check out bridge crew.  I haven't yet, but it's on the bucket list. 

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Once you get through your learning phase, you will then understand why this will most likely forever remain a niche 'sport', if you can call it that. In my opinion cost is not the primary barrier to entry, but difficulty in learning is. You will understand ;) 

I'm not that sure, Marty. 

I still think, because it's quite new.  When bicycles started more than 100 years ago, they were also not adopted by the masses for a long time.

16 hours ago, mezzanine said:

Meep, I was surprised at your comment that you'd consider giving up EUCs if the market doesn't change.  I guess it makes sense, though, if you're in the mountains.  

Don't take him too seriously. :)

I'm reading between his lines, he is just angry because he has not that much range as he would like to, but he will never give up riding. :)

8 hours ago, mezzanine said:

One thing that has surprised me is the number of folks who complain of sore feet limiting their ability to stay on the wheel for lengths of time. 

Do urban wheelers tend to ride shorter distances than those who live in more spread out areas?  If I was living in the tiny town that I lived in a few years back, I'd have been more likely go with a stronger, rangier wheel. 

I can't say that for me, I feel quite well on my KS16. But I can't ride longer than 2 hours or 40 to 50 km, because after that the battery is empty.

But at the beginning, one year ago, I also had sometimes sour feeling in my lower legs, although I'm a mountaineer and in quite good condition I think.  I believe this comes from the muscles who control the fine motor skills of your legs, and they need to be trained by riding often.

I'm happy to live in an area where I can do urban riding and also riding in the forests, hills and meadows.  I like both a lot.

53 minutes ago, Arklag said:

As much as i love this thing, im confused as to why adoption has been so slow... or declining. These things are so versatile, convenient, cheap (relative to other modes of transportation), and fun. Why am i not seeing them everywhere? I dont want to be known as the guy with the unicycle, but thats been my life. 

Same here. :)

But I believe, we are still at the beginning of electric transportation devices, also at e-cars and e-bikes.

2 years ago in Austria Pedelecs were only used by some freaks, meanwhile the owner of a bike shop tells me he is selling more Pedelecs than normal bicycles.

EUC adoption will take longer, but it will come. At latest when the young guys discover, that this is rather "cool".

The main advantage in a city is, that you can take them with you in the underground, tramway or taxi, which is a lot more difficult with a bicycle.

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So you definitely need a new wheel then, something with comfy pedals. The MSuper is known to be one of the most comfortable rides out there :D I don't think there's a wheel with more comfortable pedals, but I may be wrong.

A new wheel would be nice, but I forgot to mention the lack of good places to ride.  You LA people have so many great trails and fireroads, with elevation changes and great scenery,  not to mention the beaches.

I always liked the MSuper V3.

17 hours ago, Asylsteirer said:

I'm not that sure, Marty. 

I still think, because it's quite new.  When bicycles started more than 100 years ago, they were also not adopted by the masses for a long time.

Don't take him too seriously. :)

I'm reading between his lines, he is just angry because he has not that much range as he would like to, but he will never give up riding. :)

I can't say that for me, I feel quite well on my KS16. But I can't ride longer than 2 hours or 40 to 50 km, because after that the battery is empty.

But at the beginning, one year ago, I also had sometimes sour feeling in my lower legs, although I'm a mountaineer and in quite good condition I think.  I believe this comes from the muscles who control the fine motor skills of your legs, and they need to be trained by riding often.

I'm happy to live in an area where I can do urban riding and also riding in the forests, hills and meadows.  I like both a lot.

Same here. :)

But I believe, we are still at the beginning of electric transportation devices, also at e-cars and e-bikes.

2 years ago in Austria Pedelecs were only used by some freaks, meanwhile the owner of a bike shop tells me he is selling more Pedelecs than normal bicycles.

EUC adoption will take longer, but it will come. At latest when the young guys discover, that this is rather "cool".

The main advantage in a city is, that you can take them with you in the underground, tramway or taxi, which is a lot more difficult with a bicycle.

And when they do, we will all be superhero celebrities!  :w00t2:

Archived