Does anyone know someone who quit riding the EUC?

Kuji Rolls

I think the EUC is amazing and theres no going back for me, but i am curious if anyone has quit or switched something else. It seems to me and my friends that once you're an EUCist, you're forever an EUCist. I hypothesize that someone could get badly injured and quit.

EDIT: ive seen plenty of people switch from the mini to the EUC, but never the other way around. 

If the manufacturers do not bring out newer models with big batteries (1500 Wh at least) in addition to the improved electronics (like on the KS16S and18S), I'll be stuck with an ACM which has the battery and is great otherwise but can't really do any mountains properly which is the most important part to me. So for me, a wheel must have those two capabilities, and I may quit from pure frustration (or at the very least ride rarely) if all the new nice shiny wheels stay under or around 1000 Wh.

There may be other people who (temporarily) gave up because they weren't happy with the state of the EUC market (safety/quality probably the biggest concern) and the choice of models according to what they'd want wasn't there.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love I've quit until I moved into a new neighborhood, it is now done ! So I ride my EUC again, even though I'm a little nervous now when riding solo, and I got rid of my "slow" EUC, not because I like riding fast, but because I want to be able to escape if needed (28kph is a minimum, because most "normal" humans can't run that fast or not for long).

I think that some events can take away the fun of EUC, but it is still an useful way of shifiting around in a city.

I only know about one rider who stopped riding EUC, and moved on to electric scooters, he just felt like he couldn't go fast enough with his EUC (a V8), he was scared of fast EUC (in case of a failure) and wanted more power and speed, he is also a motorcycle enthousiast this may have influenced him. I think most people who get to know how to ride an EUC don't quit, even I who had the most trouble riding EUC in my city (that I know of) don't give up :)

I know just two others who ride, and they aren't quitting anytime soon.

Presumably, those riders wearing no helmets will quit sooner than those that do, and those that wear half-helmets will quit sooner than those wearing full-face helmets.

I'll only quit if I become disabled (hopefully not because of an EUC :cry2:)

It's like I took the Red Pill. There's no going back for me.

@meepmeepmayer - yeah right. You're going to quit :roflmao:

Interesting thread to read from the perspective of a noob. 

Langham, I'm trying to make a decision on a helmet and your comment about getting something full-faced is something I'm wrestling with.  Not really sure what I'm going to do on that.  Wanted those flexmeter wrist guards, but they're four times the price as the 8-ball brand from Amazon.  Something about being committed to gearing up from the start may have the psychological effect of being freer and therefore closer to the wheel, which would keep people riding. 

I don't have a wheel yet, but I feel like I'm coming in fairly committed.  I'd be really disappointed if for some reason it didn't work for me and can't put my finger on what it would be. 

Meep, I was surprised at your comment that you'd consider giving up EUCs if the market doesn't change.  I guess it makes sense, though, if you're in the mountains.  

2 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Interesting thread to read from the perspective of a noob. 

Langham, I'm trying to make a decision on a helmet and your comment about getting something full-faced is something I'm wrestling with.  Not really sure what I'm going to do on that.  Wanted those flexmeter wrist guards, but they're four times the price as the 8-ball brand from Amazon.  Something about being committed to gearing up from the start may have the psychological effect of being freer and therefore closer to the wheel, which would keep people riding. 

I don't have a wheel yet, but I feel like I'm coming in fairly committed.  I'd be really disappointed if for some reason it didn't work for me and can't put my finger on what it would be. 

Meep, I was surprised at your comment that you'd consider giving up EUCs if the market doesn't change.  I guess it makes sense, though, if you're in the mountains. 

I think he was on some medication when he wrote that. Don't take him seriously.

I would have saved myself multiple hand/wrist injuries if I was wearing wrist protection earlier in my 'career'. Just wear something. Gearing up certainly provides a level of confidence. I don't always, but I do 100% of the time when I'm going for a dedicated ride (not going to the store or tootling around town).

Unlike almost all other vehicles, you can put your gear on and off while riding the EUC as you have both hands entirely free. I almost always put on and take off my helmet and wrist guards on the first start and the last stop, respectively.

My gut feeling is the full-face helmet is probably the most important gear you can wear as the few face-plants I've had I've come very close to losing my nose and teeth, and just barely managed to convert all of those into Ninja-rolls.

39 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

It's not so much the risk of quitting than the risk of riding too rarely.

Right now I'm feeling like riding a car with the parking brake on. I see those mountains I can't go up (properly) all the time, the fact that the crappy electronics might give out any time is always on mind. It just sours the entire thing. Also don't have a commute which would be the obvious riding motivation. So I'm more or less convincing myself to ride because what I ride then isn't really what I'd like to do (though it's fun and I'm glad I did it afterwards each time).

I would not be surprised if a lot of people considered EUCs, maybe had an Airwheel or Ninebot, but didn't upgrade because they weren't really happy with the state of things after reading about Gotway failures etc together with prices etc.

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

There may be other people who (temporarily) gave up because they weren't happy with the state of the EUC market (safety/quality probably the biggest concern) and the choice of models according to what they'd want wasn't there.

I am one that has been looking at the EUC state of the art market, especially the upcoming z10.  Then I read of the EUC experiences that are shared and consider the options.  I then stay contented with my Minis.

As many other Cycologists here, I've experienced different wheels of enjoyment before.

I'll continue to savor the current moments until change happens.

Thanks guys !

Regarding protections, I would say it's a matter of personal appreciation, I ride with both "sides", I agree that for someone who likes to ride fast, it is a must, the helmet being the most important protection imo.

I did have several falls, mostly in the moutains, where I sometimes wear protections.

For those like me who only ride fast to test the EUC, but then who use the power only to double someone, and who mostly rides at 15-20kph, I do think that protections are not absolutely necessary, except for those who don't have good reflexes when falling, and maybe those who are above the 40s. For me, protections take away some freedom, and in the hot summer it's especially annoying, it might even push me to ride with more confidence at high speeds, therefore the benefits of wearing protections might be null (for me) but I am in no way saying that you must not wear protections, protections are always better for your safety, it is your choice.

Like @meepmeepmayer said, trust your guts, and be free !

50 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's not so much the risk of quitting than the risk of riding too rarely.

Right now I'm feeling like riding a car with the parking brake on. I see those mountains I can't go up (properly) all the time, the fact that the crappy electronics might give out any time is always on mind. It just sours the entire thing. Also don't have a commute which would be the obvious riding motivation. So I'm more or less convincing myself to ride because what I ride then isn't really what I'd like to do (though it's fun and I'm glad I did it afterwards each time).

I would not be surprised if a lot of people considered EUCs, maybe had an Airwheel or Ninebot, but didn't upgrade because they weren't really happy with the state of things after reading about Gotway failures etc together with prices etc.

Do you live where you have to take a car to get out of your house/apartment? Some places an EUC is magnificent for getting around. I would think urban areas of Germany were purposefully built for EUC's in the 19th century, only they didn't know it.

15 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Do you live where you have to take a car to get out of your house/apartment? Some places an EUC is magnificent for getting around. I would think urban areas of Germany were purposefully built for EUC's in the 19th century, only they didn't know it.

Actually no, reasonably bike-friendly here (certainly in comparison to the US) or even walkable.

But there's only so many routes I can take from home, and going somewhere by car first would either be a mountain (which I'm a bit bummed about atm, as one small mistake = going up too long without a break immediately gives you wheel damage, in my case some starting-to-melt connector housings) or something big else (have some ideas).

I just want the 18L with 3000+ Wh:cry2:;)

It's extremely unrealistic, did never happen, but is not guaranteed to not happen.

Just saying, death by a thousand inconveniences like this (and legalities and weather and whatnot) might put people off. Not sure if someone would actually quit riding, but riding less is also a (terrible, terrible:P) possibility.

1 hour ago, kour said:

i won't lie-this crosses my mind when i'm going down long hills :unsure:

I really try not to think about it. Please, don't bring this subject up again, OK ;)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I really try not to think about it. Please, don't bring this subject up again, OK ;)

On any one trip, <Voldermort> is extremely unlikely to happen but over time the chances of <Voldermort> approaches 1, or near certainty.

How's that full face helmet looking now?

Archived