Rocky, living where you do, I think it's eminently sensible to think about self-defense situations that might present on the street.  I hope you never have to use those skills to defend yourself or your wife, but it's definitely better to have the capacity for self-defense when you don't need it than to need it when you don't have it.  We all need to be ambassadors for this hobby and leave the people we encounter with a positive impression.  But none of us needs to be a victim 

7 hours ago, radial said:

Rocky, living where you do, I think it's eminently sensible to think about self-defense situations that might present on the street.  I hope you never have to use those skills to defend yourself or your wife, but it's definitely better to have the capacity for self-defense when you don't need it than to need it when you don't have it.  We all need to be ambassadors for this hobby and leave the people we encounter with a positive impression.  But none of us needs to be a victim 

Inevitably people ask about the price of the MiniPro.  My wife has a more ready answer than I do: $600 from Amazon.  Some chit chat usually follows.  Always fun and interesting to talk to strangers and we enjoy it as part of the Segway experience.

We each have on ourselves the equivalent of thousands of dollars that could be thought of as easy targets.

On me is a $600 phone, $350 Watch, $160 AirPods, $600 MiniPro and few hundred in miscellaneous.

Soon, an iPhone will be a $1,000 item to carry.  Occasionally, I will carry a $600 iPad and extra iPhone.

My clothes won’t be taken but could get torn. That could be a few hundred more.

Health and emotional injury costs is unthinkable.

I don’t live in the Los Angeles of Blade Runner 2049, but it’s smart to be street smart.

A $30 to $100 umbrella and knowing how to use it seems like a convenient counter balance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 10:52 PM, radial said:

Rainy day riding requires an umbrella.

Today, I was able to use my umbrella as a pointer to where I was going and for more easily parting crowded sidewalks.

And look normal doing it.

No one thinks it’s strange to have an umbrella on rainy days.

Getting tired of being charged by nasty little, unleashed  "drop kick" dogs, I started carrying a wooden dowel about 2'6" and about 3/4" in diameter, which I found lying around the house. I do feel a lot safer when carrying it.  Have swung it at a few of the "little darlings" a few times ( no contact).  It's light, so not really lethal, but it can be swung very quickly, so it's hard to defend against.  One crack upside an offenders head would land him in a world of hurt, distracting him and allowing several follow up "cracks". Haven't really worried about the " weapon" aspect.  I think people think it part of the kit to ride an EUC.  I also ride wth a leash, so there's lots of "extras" to confuse the great unwashed.  

I don't like the cane umbrella idea. Although the intended utility is undeniable, I don't  think the cane is strong enough for a knock down drag out ( don't believe movie stunts). The fabric  produces a lot of drag when swung, so it will be slow and defendable.  The fabric and flimsy metal arms that operate it, offer a cushioning effect; so if your slow swinging attack makes contact, it will be laughably soft, and not disabling.  The hooked end works marvellously in movies, but in the real world it can hang up easily on things, it can be used to pull the umbrella from your grasp ( if you're swinging it backwards), and its only attached to the handle appropriately for its intended use, not to beat the living daylights out of a perp..

im thinking of upgrading to a Nordic walking pole.  " But officer I need to to stay on my machine, from time to time, this isn't easy ya know!"    And as @tudordewolf pointed out, something to prop you up while stopped, can be handy.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Getting tired of being charged by nasty little, unleashed  "drop kick" dogs, I started carrying a wooden dowel about 2'6" and about 3/4" in diameter, which I found lying around the house. I do feel a lot safer when carrying it.  Have swung it at a few of the "little darlings" a few times ( no contact).  It's light, so not really lethal, but it can be swung very quickly, so it's hard to defend against.  One crack upside an offenders head would land him in a world of hurt, distracting him and allowing several follow up "cracks". Haven't really worried about the " weapon" aspect.  I think people think it part of the kit to ride an EUC.  I also ride wth a leash, so there's lots of "extras" to confuse the great unwashed.  

I don't like the cane umbrella idea. Although the intended utility is undeniable, I don't  think the cane is strong enough for a knock down drag out ( don't believe movie stunts). The fabric  produces a lot of drag when swung, so it will be slow and defendable.  The fabric and flimsy metal arms that operate it, offer a cushioning effect; so if your slow swinging attack makes contact, it will be laughably soft, and not disabling.  The hooked end works marvellously in movies, but in the real world it can hang up easily on things, it can be used to pull the umbrella from your grasp ( if you're swinging it backwards), and its only attached to the handle appropriately for its intended use, not to beat the living daylights out of a perp..

im thinking of upgrading to a Nordic walking pole.  " But officer I need to to stay on my machine, from time to time, this isn't easy ya know!"    And as @tudordewolf pointed out, something to prop you up while stopped, can be handy.

Agreed.  For regular cane umbrellas.

Not so for specially sturdy cane umbrellas.

The one that I found has a rain drip catcher that encloses the umbrella when closed.  This gives it a sturdier feel and provides an easier way to swing and do figure eights.  Additionally the tip is reinforced with a concealed metal ball.  The effect is that this cane umbrella becomes a legal carrying walking cane that as a medical device is allowed everywhere, including planes.  Your walking pole is not.  Unless it has a crook cane handle, all sticks are disallowed.

I prefer a cane umbrella because rain also happens.

Plus little varmints, like mice, scares my wife tremendously.  I bought her a cane umbrella.  Panic solved.

I now can swing two canes, one in each hand, for added pizzaz.  If one is legal, certainly carrying two is twice as legal. A handy back pouch carries both cane umbrellas plus a flashlight that extends into a baton.  Yes, the baton could be confiscated.  It’s urban Robin Hood riding.

Cane-Fu Riding.

On 3 November 2017 at 11:21 AM, Rocky Romero said:

flashlight that extends into a baton.

Me likely LIKEY!  Where from?   I've also been thinking about tactical flashlights, you know, the ones with crenelated ( is that the right word?), (looks like a mini royal crown) lens rings for added pain when striking.  No law against carrying a flashlight is there?

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Me likely. Where from?   I've also been thinking about tactical flashlights, you know, the ones with crenelated ( is that the right word?), (looks like a mini royal crown) lens rings for added pain when striking.  No law against carrying a flashlight is there?

Carrying a flashlight is ok.  It still can be confiscated.  It still is not allowed on planes, especially if it’s also a baton.

With the exception of a cane or cane umbrella with a crook handle, everything else that is hand carried can be considered a weapon.

Legally, here in the USA. 

On 11/2/2017 at 9:12 PM, Rocky Romero said:

Rainy day riding requires an umbrella.

Today, I was able to use my umbrella as a pointer to where I was going and for more easily parting crowded sidewalks.

And look normal doing it.

No one thinks it’s strange to have an umbrella on rainy days.

Archived