How much do you spend to maintain your Addiction?

Jonathan Tolhurst

In a way i am glad to read this, not EUC users think i'm a little crazy with my wheels.

Now i see that is a bit like a virus, and somehowe you grow into more wheels.

I started in juli 2016 with my 1st wheel, a inmotion V5d.

( did in 9 months 2000km on the V5D )

Bought in september 2016 a lightly used Gotway Msuper V2 850 wh LS - HT.

( did just over 100 km on the V2 )

Sold it after 2 months because it wasn't faster then the V5D.

In april  2017 my new acm 1600wh where delivered.

( Did since april 2930 km on it till now )

4 th off september 2017  the deilivery  off a new kingsong KS18 S.

(just did 140 km on it since septmber the 4th )

Hope this will be my last wheel ( for a while ):cry2:

But a monster would be nice also.

Total cost till now E 3358,00, including selling the V2.

But had with the V5 a lot of fun,  enjoyed the learning proces very much and = a very nice wheel to start with.

Fall in love with the ACM, the speed - the power -  the nimbleness, the distance, the trolley, but most of it the diversety off terrain you can take with it.

Don't now about the KS yet, will found out the next couple of months:rolleyes:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this moment I look forward to something suitable for me.
There is still not one that I would like to buy.
I do not want just a little better than the V3 GW.
I want it to be clearly a challenge for off-road driving. So much more power and speed.

I can already see the rabbit hole goes deep with EUCs.  Can easily envision having $3000 into it in another year, assuming I don't injure myself or find it impractical in ways I don't anticipate.  I've had less practical pricey interests, though, and can feel less guilty on that account.  I'm intending to use my EUC as my primary form of transportation, weather permitting. 

2 hours ago, EUC Extreme said:

At this moment I look forward to something suitable for me.
There is still not one that I would like to buy.
I do not want just a little better than the V3 GW.
I want it to be clearly a challenge for off-road driving. So much more power and speed.

Let's hope the pulse glider will be all that it is claimed to be... :) 

On 18/09/2017 at 10:16 PM, Marty Backe said:

I know there are people who have bought more wheels than me and own more than I do. But I may have the record for number of wheels bought within 1 year (9 of the ten wheels were purchased in my first 12 months)

And this is why I won't be buying the Tesla anytime soon. I need to cool it for awhile :crying:

LOL, remember somewhere on this forum talking about the wife ...

My Mten3 arrived. "What do you mean, you got another wheel? You already have 2! You aren't keeping all of them now are you?"

^_^

Still in doubt about the 14" generic and what to do with it. I suppose since the Mten3 arrived it won't see any use (I switched to the 14" coming from my V8 a couple of days ago to practice some stuff and I nearly fell 4 times because of its lack of speed (tiltback setting in hard at a whopping 9mph...) and power (minor gaps and bumps need much more effort because of the little engine), but it's a nice "ah you want to try it too?" wheel and it only cost $300).

So we'll see :P 

If you're collecting wheels then that probably means you're dissatisfied with the current wheels you have.

If I had to do it again I'd probably just get one of the 16 inch wheels, an all-arounder, and leave it at that. Just ride it until it dies because any of the 16 inchers can do everything so well. 

However, I can understand the appeal of the 18 inchers. I occasionally go through the suburbs and those long roads and huge parking lots just suck the speed out of my wheels. There's just so much distance to cover.

Just Monday I was at Applebees and took my wheel out through the strip mall just to see what they had. Basically these stores separated by these huge parking lots, with no sidewalks. While a wheel covers this distance in very little time, I would find walking from one store to another extremely boring.

Basically, a bigger wheel is highly appropriate for most of the US car-centric areas.

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

If you're collecting wheels then that probably means you're dissatisfied with the current wheels you have.

If I had to do it again I'd probably just get one of the 16 inch wheels, an all-arounder, and leave it at that. Just ride it until it dies because any of the 16 inchers can do everything so well. 

However, I can understand the appeal of the 18 inchers. I occasionally go through the suburbs and those long roads and huge parking lots just suck the speed out of my wheels. There's just so much distance to cover.

Just Monday I was at Applebees and took my wheel out through the strip mall just to see what they had. Basically these stores separated by these huge parking lots, with no sidewalks. While a wheel covers this distance in very little time, I would find walking from one store to another extremely boring.

Basically, a bigger wheel is highly appropriate for most of the US car-centric areas.

I am not really dissatisfied with my GT16 as a ride. But there is some truth in what you say.

First of all, each day I make two commuter runs of about 7-8 miles, which means there is something to be said about a larger wheel with more stability. Secondly I run mainly on bicycle roads, going in traffic just for the start and finish of the run. My city seem to have forgot that bicycles don't have suspension and are inherently less stable than cars. At least that is what you could think if you saw the bloody patch-work in the asphalt - cracks, holes, patches, "washing board"-irregularities etcetera. While the GT16 is fully able to handle those, it makes for a very unrelaxed ride.

So a bigger wheel, with a fatter tyre, and thereby less pressure needed, that would do a lot for the comfort. Less tendency to follow cracks, better capability of eating holes and bumps, doesn't rattle your teeth as much when hitting the washing boards...

But there are a few buts. It must still be really strong - I don't want to go from a 2kW wheel to a 1.5kW wheel with a bigger rim. It must still be agile and easy to accelerate, break and turn. It must have really good grip on treacherous ground, since the climate in Gothenburg where I live is both wet and cold during the winters. I will not ride if there's ice outside, but especially in the mornings there may be patches that are rather slippery. That is hard enough to handle with a bike with two wheels, but if you have just a single wheel below you, you really don't want to start sliding.

That is why the ninebot looks so good. I wish the tyre had deeper patterns on the sides, but it might well be OK in reality. The tyre looks a lot like the ones on a scooter/vespa, and those have pretty good grip. As I said, I don't expect it to handle ice, but wet leaves, mud and frost might be bigger problems, since those have started to appear already.

The GT16 is a wonder in summer and playing around, it accelerates like a bat out of hell, and stops like it has a breaking parachute. It turns on a dime and can go slow, slow, slow and fast, fast, fast. But it is not the ideal machine for autumn and winter rains, to say the least. 

^^^^

You might find an e-bike better suited for such a long commute as the longer distances inevitably encourages you to buy a bigger, faster, more dangerous wheel. A dorky e-bike is faster and more stable than any wheel although their prices seem, to me, ludicrously high.

I plan to use my car during the winter but my wheels during the other three seasons.

So far I have only spent $1350 gross to maintain my 10 unicycle addiction. :efee6b18f3: How? $3200.00 spent on 4 new vehicles and $1150 on 6 used EUCs. 

Then there was the matter of a little Healthcare commercial that paid me $3000.00 to ride my EUC and spit out a line of dialogue. They advertised on the forum here and I responded and clinched the deal. Since this will be turning into my sizzle reel for commercial casting, I plan on adding to this fund in the near future once the Commercial is finished.

I feel the perfect EUC has not been made yet, but I really enjoy all the quirks of the individual models. Variety is the spice of life and - que sabor - my EUC choices! I have from 10" to 18" wheels and all sorts of skill leveled machines. Its always good to have a backup or just a spare when you want to ride a little further after a full day of riding. The other day I used my EUC which was inside my car as my ride home when my engine went all pots filled with silverware on me on the freeway. After getting the car towed to my mechanic for an engine swap, I casually cruised home with little care of future transportation.

FULL DISCLOSURE- I also have several cars, mostly Subarus, and I love driving them all too. IMHO they have not made the perfect car yet either.

So counting the costs from April to the end of Sept, and using a cost per mile estimate here are the results...

3000 miles at $1350 spread over that time comes to for every month of 500 miles I have spent $225 or around $0.45/ mile not including electricity. Since I have solar panels on my roof I dont know what the electricity costs are, but we can include 5 cents extra making it $0.50/ mile so far and falling.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

^^^^

You might find an e-bike better suited for such a long commute as the longer distances inevitably encourages you to buy a bigger, faster, more dangerous wheel. A dorky e-bike is faster and more stable than any wheel although their prices seem, to me, ludicrously high.

I plan to use my car during the winter but my wheels during the other three seasons.

Well, I could get a bike, but I've ridden bikes all my life and it isn't a tenth of the fun...

And I have nothing at all against bigger and faster. More dangerous depends on how you ride them. I suspect me running my GT16 at 22mph is no less risky than running a Monster at the same speed, or for that matter running the upcoming One Z10.

Actually I'm trying to lower my cruising speed to 16-17 mph to get a bit further from "the edge", get a bit longer to react and shorter braking-times. At bothersome stretches I go even slower, like 13-14 mph, to avoid being so vulnerable to mishaps.

I try to only push the envelope on stretches I know well, know to be good, know to have plenty of room for swerving if needed, when the weather is dry and so on. A bit more defensive riding to express it in shorter terms. A couple of falls made me take a good look at the risks I take.

3 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Are you really into scat, man? 

ROFLMAO!!! 

Nope! Didn't even know the reference when I chose the nick years and years ago.

The name comes from Aristocats. Scatcat is the leader of the cats jazz band. A cool trumpet-player and husky singer.

2 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

ROFLMAO!!! 

Nope! Didn't even know the reference when I chose the nick years and years ago.

The name comes from Aristocats. Scatcat is the leader of the cats jazz band. A cool trumpet-player and husky singer.

He even a bit fat and sports a hat, like I do (when not wearing a helmet). ;) 

17 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

My kid loved that one, but I wasn't into it. Whether Scat is referring to poop fetishes or freestyle jazz singing, the bottom line is that it's hilarious :D

It was among the first movies I really fell for as a kid, and Scatcat was always my favorite. He just seemed so damn cool.

Then in my family, from my mother side, we have these cat-shaped eyes. It's even more pronounced in the female parts of the family. It's like a mix of the European almond-shape and the asian/mongolian shape, but without the fold. I've always felt a kinship with the felines.

eye.jpg.8f633cd32ec0dde4eb9a90c7295172ec.jpg

Sorry for staring, a bit tired and without my glasses... :D 

But of course it's hilarious, and now that I know, I'm just too stubborn to change my nic... :roflmao:

Jeezus, I just realised it's time to get the scissors out and take control of those eyebrows, one strand is almost sticking into my eye... I expect that when I turn 90, people won't see my eyes for the bloody bushes above them, and I in turn will see them like through a curtain...

I don't know wtF happened the outer parts just withered away, and the inner parts in compensation now consider themselves in competition with bamboo when it comes to growing!

:facepalm::laughbounce2:

Wizard = short eybrows?
Grand Wizard = bloody bushes above the eyes?

Well, I get thoughtful comments from my lovely woman too, like: "shouldn't you make sure those don't get in your food?"
Or just: "Hoo, hoo."

It's like when I haven't done anything to keep my beard in check for a while, and she asks me if I'm trying to look like Karl Marx.. ;) 

Archived