How much do you spend to maintain your Addiction?

Jonathan Tolhurst

My wife has often asked this question and I'm sure some of you also get asked by your spouses – How much do you spend on your wheel? (That’s the very polite version of the question :D) So I had a spare half hour and decided I’d look at all my orders and list my expenditure going back to when I brought my first EUC back in May 2015. I’m always mending my wheel and replacing broken/worn parts – doing tricks definitely takes its toll on parts (as well as the body) . For example, “Spinning” quickly wears down the foot plates and tires. And practising “Penny Spins” can result in cracked shells and broken battery covers.  And learning switch stance tricks (especially on slopes) resulted in a few burnt out control boards. With the exception of a couple of purchases I have used every part until it is worn out or broken.  Some of the parts were damaged due to my stupidity – for example,  I went through a number of trolley handles because I kept leaving the attachment bracket on when doing tricks. I have obviously also cannibalised my old wheels for parts – not that long ago I managed to bend the metal frame out of shape. I have stuck with the E+ mainly because I have invested a lot of time in becoming “at one” with its characteristics (With the amount I have spent I could have brought a number of different wheels). It’s also been a good wheel in that I can easily maintain and repair myself (thanks to Speedy Feet’s videos) as long as parts are available. The only real design flaws that I have come across with the Ninebot E+ is with the built-in handle snapping off and the poor quality App.

I have spent an equivalent of about £120 per month. I have ridden about 4000 Km in total (although a lot of the time I’m doing tricks (E.g. going around and around in circles :)) rather than riding distance).

If I didn’t do tricks then I’m pretty sure I could still be running my first wheel having only required a couple of inner tube, tire and foot pedal replacements.

However, I have had so much fun and get a huge amount of pleasure from trick riding, and also from maintaining my wheel. I still get that butterfly feeling when I go riding!

Date

Item

Qty

Value GBP

Price Per Unit GBP

Supplier

Comment

2015-05

Ninebot One 'E+' - Single Wheel Transporter (~35km Range)

Speedy Feet

First EUC

2015-06

Ninebot ONE Trolley Handle

Speedy Feet

2015-06

80mm Valve Extension

Speedy Feet

2015-08

Ninebot ONE - Battery Cover / Leg Support Cover

Speedy Feet

2015-08

Ninebot ONE Parking Stand

Speedy Feet

2015-08

Ninebot ONE Outershell - White

Speedy Feet

2015-08

Ninebot ONE - Lower Footplate (Underside)

Speedy Feet

2015-12

Ninebot ONE C & E Replacement Inner Tube

Speedy Feet

2015-12

Ninebot ONE C & E Replacement Tire

Speedy Feet

2016-01

Speedy Feet

2016-02

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Ninebot ONE Charging Port

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Ninebot ONE - Foot Plate COMPLETE

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Footplate Spacer Set for Ninebot

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Speedy Feet

2016-04

Speedy Feet

2016-05

Speedy Feet

2016-05

Ninebot ONE - Complete Shell Set

Speedy Feet

2016-05

Replacement LED Light Strip Cover Ring

Speedy Feet

2016-05

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Ninebot ONE E+ 320wh Replacement / Spare Battery

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Ninebot ONE Attachment Bracket

Speedy Feet

Used only a few times for filming

2016-06

Ninebot ONE Footplate Bar

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-07

Ninebot ONE - Rubber Side Cover

Speedy Feet

2016-07

Ninebot ONE LED Light Strip

Speedy Feet

2016-07

Speedy Feet

2016-07

Ninebot ONE - Footplate Magnet

Speedy Feet

2016-08

Triple 8 T8 Exo Skin Shin and Whip BMX Guard (Large) - Pair

Amazon

Ankle Guards - rarely used

2016-09

Speedy Feet

2016-09

Ninebot One E+ (Gen2) Single Wheel Transporter (~35km Range)

Speedy Feet

Second Wheel - wheel rim buckled

2016-08

TSG Single Ankle-Guard Cam, Black (L/XL) Pair

Skatehut

Ankle Guards - used everytime

2016-10

Speedy Feet

2016-10

Ninebot ONE - Complete Handle Unit

Speedy Feet

Snapped off within 2 hours of installing

2016-11

Ninebot ONE E+ / P Replacement Main Control Board

Speedy Feet

2016-12

Amazon

2017-01

Speedy Feet

2017-02

Speedy Feet

Third Wheel

2017-06

Ninebot ONE C, E, E+, P inner Shell Set

Speedy Feet

2017-06

Ninebot ONE Upgrade - Outer Shell (Blue)

Speedy Feet

2017-06

Speedy Feet

2017-06

Ninebot ONE - Battery Cover / Leg Support Cover - White PRO

Speedy Feet

2017-09

Speedy Feet

2017-09

Speedy Feet

Totals

Total Quantities:

Item

Qty

80mm Valve Extension

My riding style:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

My wife has often asked this question

Sooo...now you can inform your wife or direct her to this post !?

Trick riding looks costly. I bent the bracket (not much but enough) for the E+ trolley trying to reverse ride.

As long as public property is not defaced by trick riding I have no objections. In my last (simple) video of a ride under the Zakim bridge in Boston, the video ends with a skateboard park to my right under the highway. Bikes and skate boarders were out using the facility in large numbers.

You have a nice web page. The pharmacy stuff caught me off guard. I fussed with Raspberry Pi (it is sort of a British pride in tech and coding endeavor rather than a US thing but still an interesting board with parts from Wales) and walked away from Pi world after making a security cam, motion activated cam and time lapse photo projects. While RPi is fascinating it is a little too underpowered (I have the official touch screen case for Pi3) and too pin specific at the GPIO level for my interests. Instead I bought a decent laptop for doing Blender 3D, public WiFi surfing (good antenna) and simple storage and processing of video files.

Years (1970s) I took pharmacology in graduate school. I barely passed. The textbook was by DiPalma.

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Pharmacology-Medicine-Joseph-Palma/dp/0070170118

If you want to learn more about pharmacology and medicine a pharmacology book will take you beyond doseage scale ups and into the realm of 'drug targets' and classes of drugs (very chemical structure). 

Nice web page! Nice EUC trick video!

I haven't used Raspberry Pi since 'Pixel' became available.

44041.jpg

Wow, those tricks! I've ridden about 6700km total since March, and only forward!

Regarding spending on EUCing, time is what I spend the most. Riding, testing tires, trying shock absorber designs etc. Haven't broken anything but a charger, and only bought tires and a handle as an extra.

My spent total is at 2500€ plus clothing and protection. But I bought the two Lhotzes to build a two-wheeler, so not exactly EUCing...

Hey... did my wife put you up to this?:crying:

Is there a "Real wives of EUC wheelers" reality TV series in the works?

I'd like to say my wife is on board with our EUC obsession, and also that she approves of all the money "invested" in this not-cheap hobby.

Well, at least one of those things is true.

I did the GPS mods for Raspberry Pi , installed GPSPrune, Foxtrot GPS and Navit. With a USB GPS dongle you can get satellite time anywhere the satellites are in view. Here's Navit with my position (blue circle).

Android smart phones are smaller and easier to use so RPi GPS gets little use other than a project completed and ready to use. My Python programming isn't really in 'functional memory' so programs like Foxtrot are my idea of RPi work.

44054.jpg

Here's a version 2 pi camera shot of Fort Sewall (US British naval historic site -war of 1812)

44053.jpg

In my case, I would say that it has paid for itself on top of the time saved and fun had. I spent $220 on a generic X3 and upgraded to an msuper2 for $1000 - In 7 months I've put over 1400 miles on it, most of which is my daily commute. At under $1/mile, that beats uber or even a car if you count parking (downtown DC...), and I expect it to last at least as long as I've already had it. I went from using uber several times a week to less than once a month. 

Trick riding is definitely an entirely different category for costs........so different it's almost like a different hobby.

I've had two eucs (Lhotz and now v5f+).....ride them all the time, and fast, but on-road mostly and no tricks. I've never had a puncture and other than superficial scratches and one replacement charger, the worst I've had is a current 6inch crack on the right shell from a drunken ride a while back.

Now that I've written this post of course, the karma gods will decree I'm 'due' some reversal of fortune ?

19 hours ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

My wife has often asked this question and I'm sure some of you also get asked by your spouses – How much do you spend on your wheel?

Hmm, difficult.

I owned a Ninebot Minipro, sold it, owned a white KS16, sold it, and now own a black KS16, like it. :)

I got a good price for the units I sold, so subtracting that I would say it costed me until now around 2200€.

But I also bought protection for knees and elbows (I have a helmet and gloves from mountainbiking), and from time to time I go with the car to places which I want to explore with the EUC, so actually all this would need to be added. 

19 hours ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

My riding style:

---- Video ---

I like it most, when you let the wheel run the wide circle, and when it returns, you jump on it and proceed driving, that's especially awesome ! :thumbup:

Don't forget the extras.  I bought:

2 LED reflective bands for night riding - these are awesome:   http://a.co/5mmiGoV

Helmet (I repurposed this, so free here)

2 sets of wrist guards.  Didn't like the 1st set, so bought a flexmeter set (which are great) - http://a.co/9Jqvkzt

Charge Doctor - because I start my ride downhill http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/02/06/charge-doctor-v2-10a-3/

Safety strap (from home depot)

Unicycle padding (eBay) and 3M mounting tape (because the tape that comes with the padding sucks)

2 go-pro clamps and various parts making a rigged handle (which I don't use any more) -

Probably about $200 total for these accessories.

So far, I'm still on my first wheel ($800) and my wife still thinks I spend too much.

Hmm, I think around $2800 for four wheels, hopefully I could sell three of them used for 2000 if I'm being optimistic.

Another way of looking at it is thinking what of saves you compared to driving a car, both time and money. I'm guessing over a $1000 from not using my car every day, and not using public transportation. The bad side of that is trying to estimate my cost of getting injured as I feel it's just a matter of time before I get hit by a car hard enough to cause injuries.

In the ballpark of 4500+€ (roughly $5400) for 4 wheels + spare/custom parts, accessories and safety gear, but about 1/4th of that went into a failed custom-battery project... What can I say, it's an expensive country, and at the time I wasn't aware of 1RadWerkstatt's existence. Almost all of my trips are just recreational, sometimes in the summer I actually wish I didn't have remote work so I'd have a good reason to go riding to work and back :D I don't want to calculate the cost per kilometer, because that would be just depressing ;) The "funny" thing is that I didn't even have a working wheel last summer (2016 I mean), and this summer we (again) had pretty lousy weather. Getting kinda cold to ride again, but I did go pick up some packages and then came back the "scenic route" today, wearing long johns & thin gloves under the wrist protectors, +8 Celsius, dark and slight rain outside

Puuuh ... to much?

About 6000 Euro i guess?

KS14c...plus 340wh after 2 weeks:-),

Ks16 just for holidays,

Ks18a 1200watt,

Msuper v3 ...plus 340wh, 

KS18S: Now happy :-)

OK....The first 3 are sold...still 3500euro i guess :-)

3 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

It seems to me the post of a certain  @Marty Backe is missing :ph34r:

I started this madness 13 months ago (started riding in August 2016). In this period I have bought 10 wheels at ~$13k  I fell deep into this rabbit hole.

Four of my wheels were sold along the way, allowing me to upgrade. I probably recouped about half their original cost. So that helps a little.

I know there are people who have bought more wheels than me and own more than I do. But I may have the record for number of wheels bought within 1 year (9 of the ten wheels were purchased in my first 12 months)

And this is why I won't be buying the Tesla anytime soon. I need to cool it for awhile :crying:

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I started this madness 13 months ago (started riding in August 2016). In this period I have bought 10 wheels at ~$13k  I fell deep into this rabbit hole.

Four of my wheels were sold along the way, allowing me to upgrade. I probably recouped about half their original cost. So that helps a little.

I know there are people who have bought more wheels than me and own more than I do. But I may have the record for number of wheels bought within 1 year (9 of the ten wheels were purchased in my first 12 months)

Close, but I bet @EUC Extreme goes beyond that, both in amount of wheels per year and cost... I don't remember if he has posted the amounts in the forums or just mentioned them in private message, so I won't disclose them, but suffice to say that he had plotted down more than that already back in 2015 or maybe early 2016 and at least had quite a collection of wheels & equipment... ;)

Not that it's a race, and I couldn't afford to drop 13k into wheels :D 

1 minute ago, esaj said:

Close, but I bet @EUC Extreme goes beyond that, both in amount of wheels per year and cost... I don't remember if he has posted the amounts in the forums or just mentioned them in private message, so I won't disclose them, but suffice to say that he had plotted down more than that already back in 2015 or maybe early 2016 and at least had quite a collection of wheels & equipment... ;)

Yes, it is a race. Get busy!

;)

On 9/16/2017 at 11:43 AM, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

My wife has often asked this question and I'm sure some of you also get asked by your spouses – How much do you spend on your wheel? (That’s the very polite version of the question :D) So I had a spare half hour and decided I’d look at all my orders and list my expenditure going back to when I brought my first EUC back in May 2015. I’m always mending my wheel and replacing broken/worn parts – doing tricks definitely takes its toll on parts (as well as the body) . For example, “Spinning” quickly wears down the foot plates and tires. And practising “Penny Spins” can result in cracked shells and broken battery covers.  And learning switch stance tricks (especially on slopes) resulted in a few burnt out control boards. With the exception of a couple of purchases I have used every part until it is worn out or broken.  Some of the parts were damaged due to my stupidity – for example,  I went through a number of trolley handles because I kept leaving the attachment bracket on when doing tricks. I have obviously also cannibalised my old wheels for parts – not that long ago I managed to bend the metal frame out of shape. I have stuck with the E+ mainly because I have invested a lot of time in becoming “at one” with its characteristics (With the amount I have spent I could have brought a number of different wheels). It’s also been a good wheel in that I can easily maintain and repair myself (thanks to Speedy Feet’s videos) as long as parts are available. The only real design flaws that I have come across with the Ninebot E+ is with the built-in handle snapping off and the poor quality App.

I have spent an equivalent of about £120 per month. I have ridden about 4000 Km in total (although a lot of the time I’m doing tricks (E.g. going around and around in circles :)) rather than riding distance).

If I didn’t do tricks then I’m pretty sure I could still be running my first wheel having only required a couple of inner tube, tire and foot pedal replacements.

However, I have had so much fun and get a huge amount of pleasure from trick riding, and also from maintaining my wheel. I still get that butterfly feeling when I go riding!

Date

Item

Qty

Value GBP

Price Per Unit GBP

Supplier

Comment

2015-05

Speedy Feet

First EUC

2015-06

Speedy Feet

2015-06

80mm Valve Extension

Speedy Feet

2015-08

Speedy Feet

2015-08

Speedy Feet

2015-08

Speedy Feet

2015-08

Speedy Feet

2015-12

Speedy Feet

2015-12

Speedy Feet

2016-01

Speedy Feet

2016-02

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Speedy Feet

2016-03

Speedy Feet

2016-04

Speedy Feet

2016-05

Speedy Feet

2016-05

Speedy Feet

2016-05

Speedy Feet

2016-05

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

Used only a few times for filming

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-06

Speedy Feet

2016-07

Speedy Feet

2016-07

Speedy Feet

2016-07

Speedy Feet

2016-07

Speedy Feet

2016-08

Amazon

Ankle Guards - rarely used

2016-09

Speedy Feet

2016-09

Speedy Feet

Second Wheel - wheel rim buckled

2016-08

Skatehut

Ankle Guards - used everytime

2016-10

Speedy Feet

2016-10

Speedy Feet

Snapped off within 2 hours of installing

2016-11

Speedy Feet

2016-12

Amazon

2017-01

Speedy Feet

2017-02

Speedy Feet

Third Wheel

2017-06

Speedy Feet

2017-06

Speedy Feet

2017-06

Speedy Feet

2017-06

Speedy Feet

2017-09

Speedy Feet

2017-09

Speedy Feet

Totals

Total Quantities:

Item

Qty

80mm Valve Extension

My riding style:

OK, either you are an accountant or an engineer :P

On 18.9.2017 at 11:36 PM, esaj said:

@Esaj I think I've mentioned it here in the forum.
At the beginning of the hobby I did not really know what to buy and what I would like.
So I ordered eight devices at one time :D

http://aijaa.com/I5qeOz

20 minutes ago, EUC Extreme said:

@Esaj I think I've mentioned it here in the forum.
At the beginning of the hobby I did not really know what to buy and what I would like.
So I ordered eight devices at one time :D

http://aijaa.com/I5qeOz

13754064.jpg

That's so funny, and awesome :thumbup: 

Wow you guys are crazy !!!

I'm a little less....or not :D

- Firewheel F528 528Wh

- bangood TG3 132Wh

- Gotway MCM4 v2 680Wh

- Gotway MCM3 340Wh

- Gotway MCM2s 520Wh x2

- Kingsong KS18A 680Wh

- Kingsong KS14C 680Wh

- Gotway Monster 1600Wh

- Gotway ACM 1300Wh

- Rockwheel GT16v2 858Wh

Some data : +6000km in a year...and lots of money(+ 6000), but fun has no price !

not even counting electric rides that are not EUC :facepalm:

and much more testing on my friends EUC ^^ Next to come : Gotway Tesla, Gotway Mten3 & kingsong KS14S :lol:

On 9/18/2017 at 3:16 PM, Marty Backe said:

And this is why I won't be buying the Tesla anytime soon. I need to cool it for awhile :crying:

I think everyone gets a few wheels at first because you cannot know what you want until you spent some time on a wheel. With little variation I see most riders getting a teeny tiny wheel, a midsize wheel, and a great big expensive wheel as that would satisfy most or all needs.

Still, that video you posted doesn't really show an investment in wheels so much as an investment in yourself as you're riding that MTEN at a very advanced level.

Archived