With Apple's new announcement, a phenomenal example of talking while remotely occupied was given.

You may have seen the person on a board in the middle of the lake having a very clear conversation with the presenter of the event.

The refinements continue to remind me of the many uses that the Apple Watch has given me and will continue to do so when I'm riding the MiniPro, working out, or otherwise unable to use the iPhone easily.

Combining the Apple Watch with the AirPods makes for a great communications tool.  When riding together, my wife and I are planning to start wearing the AirPods for longer trips.  Until now, we seem to keep shouting comments to each other, which does get cumbersome at times, especially if we're not facing each other.

Anyone else having similar experiences?

14 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Can't wear it with wrist protection, so no go for me.

The Apple Watch can be worn in other places, depending on the length of the band or an applicable case.

I thought closer to the elbow may be appropriate.

The AW3, obviously, is much smaller than an iPhone and can be used independently.

I have the AW1 and still find it useful for directions, music, phone call, alerts, and soon to check my MiniPro progress for mileage & battery usage.

4 hours ago, radial said:

If you wanted to wear an Apple Watch higher up your arm above your wrist protection, the Action Sleeve Armband product looks like it would work.  Kind of fussy to use, though.  

I remember seeing this armband before.

Now I have a better reason for using the AW when the wrist area is unavailable.

8 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Yeah, great.

Especially when it is 12 degrees C outside and you have to ride in your t shirt :D 

We are talking about needed information while riding.  Such as a phone call, music, EUC info, directions and numerous other alerts that makes the riding experience more meaningful.

Of course, wearing the AW outside a jacket sleeve is possible with armband.

Eventually, eye wear will provide statistics and AR (augmented reality) to bring even more to the rider.

Sign me up, regardless of the temperature.

I'll own up to being in love with my watch.  :wub:  I would sooner be without my pants.  I ordered the Twelve South armband and will do a review when I've had a chance to try it out.  My only reservation about wearing the watch with an intervening layer of clothing or protective gear is I would have to turn off the feature that would otherwise lock the watch when it detected the loss of skin contact.  You can't turn off that feature without also losing the Apple pay feature that relies on it for security.  Not sure I want to dumb down the watch to that degree.  

19 minutes ago, Rocky Romero said:

Of course, wearing the AW outside a jacket sleeve is possible with armband.

How will you wear an Apple Watch when wearing wrist guards and something with long sleeves?

4 minutes ago, radial said:

My only reservation about wearing the watch with an intervening layer of clothing or protective gear is I would have to turn off the feature that would otherwise lock the watch when it detected the loss of skin contact.  

Ah you can turn that off? Well that solves the problem :) 

I just read:

Do mind that Wrist Detection also works hand in hand with the Activate on Wrist Raise feature. This means that you won’t be prompted any longer with the Watch Face and the latest alerts when you raise your wrist.

38 minutes ago, radial said:

I'll own up to being in love with my watch.  :wub:  I would sooner be without my pants.  

Recently, as I am on vacation in Italy, a watch street vendor flashed a dozen watches at me and remarked, "Rolex".

I promptly raised my arm sleeve and responded, "Apple".

Nothing else was said between us.

I felt smug.  Once I had bought a "Rolex" from a street vendor.  It was fake and I felt deceived.

So after many years.

1 hour ago, Rocky Romero said:

Recently, as I am on vacation in Italy, a watch street vendor flashed a dozen watches at me and remarked, "Rolex".

I promptly raised my arm sleeve and responded, "Apple".

Nothing else was said between us.

I felt smug.  Once I had bought a "Rolex" from a street vendor.  It was fake and I felt deceived.

So after many years.

Good for you, those street watches are all fake.  Probably someday a watch street vendor will flash fake Apple watches.  I bought a fake Citizen watch from a street vendor once, it looked nice but was bad quality.:P  Wouldn't keep the time right, ran too fast.

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

Good for you, those street watches are all fake.  Probably someday a watch street vendor will flash fake Apple watches.  I bought a fake Citizen watch from a street vendor once, it looked nice but was bad quality.:P  Wouldn't keep the time right, ran too fast.

Apple announced that they overtaken Rolex as the number one Watch in the world.

Fitbit watch has no chance at all.

Xiami might.

On 9/18/2017 at 5:14 PM, ir_fuel said:

I just read:

Do mind that Wrist Detection also works hand in hand with the Activate on Wrist Raise feature. This means that you won’t be prompted any longer with the Watch Face and the latest alerts when you raise your wrist.

Fun release on the AW is turning on the light to white or red.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/flashlight-watchos-4/

This will mean that I will always have a light on my left wrist to signal passing.  I frequently use hand signals to denote my intentions.  This will improve visibility in darker situations when riding the Mini.

Actually, this is both a fun and safety feature released for all types of riders.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2017 at 11:38 PM, Rocky Romero said:

Fun release on the AW is turning on the light to white or red.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/flashlight-watchos-4/

This will mean that I will always have a light on my left wrist to signal passing.  I frequently use hand signals to denote my intentions.  This will improve visibility in darker situations when riding the Mini.

Actually, this is both a fun and safety feature released for all types of riders.

This works very nicely.

I can turn the blinking white light on the Apple Watch for people to see my signal from the front and, when turning the wrist, from behind.

Smooth riding.

This drained the Watch battery for the two hours of outdoors riding.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old post but, I thought I’d point out what I posted in another thread. There are wrist guards that you can wear with the Apple Watch. The one provided by eWheels has worked out great and saved my palms/wrists twice now.

WristGuard-AppleWatch.thumb.jpg.658da67d6437e114f9292970d8ae0026.jpg

7 hours ago, Japmerican said:

I know this is an old post but, I thought I’d point out what I posted in another thread. There are wrist guards that you can wear with the Apple Watch. The one provided by eWheels has worked out great and saved my palms/wrists twice now.

WristGuard-AppleWatch.thumb.jpg.658da67d6437e114f9292970d8ae0026.jpg

Wrist guards while riding the MiniPro?

On 8/25/2018 at 1:13 AM, Japmerican said:

Nice! I was very excited to use the watch for data monitoring on various electric vehicles, but the wrist guards made that not practical. Though about geting a cheap one and permanently attaching it to guards.  Those guards look ok for slow speeds like the mini pro, but i prefer a larger 2 sided guard for higher speeds. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived