Jump to content

Demonstrating How To Slime A Wheel


Marty Backe
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thanks for the video Marty. So do you ride it right away?

 

How long does it take for the slime to dry out after being evenly distributed so it doesn't pool in one part of the tube?

I'm afraid to get the wheel out of balance if it somehow dries out in a pool in one place. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright, so for wheels like that KS14 in your video you used Slime Tube Sealant, however, some wheels such as the Mten3 are tubeless (its written on the tire), so you would use Slime Tubeless Tire Sealant, correct?

In other words, different unicycles might require different versions of Slime. Which version of the product did you use for Mten3 @Marty Backe?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

Alright, so for wheels like that KS14 in your video you used Slime Tube Sealant, however, some wheels such as the Mten3 are tubeless (its written on the tire), so you would use Slime Tubeless Tire Sealant, correct?

In other words, different unicycles might require different versions of Slime. Which version of the product did you use for Mten3 @Marty Backe?

The Mten3 is not tubeless. They are using a tubeless tire, but clearly it has a tube inside.

I used the Slime for tube tires.

I think the only modern wheel that is tubeless is the upcoming Ninebot Z series.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Fuzzypixel said:

Thanks for the video Marty. So do you ride it right away?

 

How long does it take for the slime to dry out after being evenly distributed so it doesn't pool in one part of the tube?

I'm afraid to get the wheel out of balance if it somehow dries out in a pool in one place. 

I ride immediately. The Slime never dries, that's how it works. It stays a liquid so that it can flow into any puncture holes.

Technically it dries out in 2 plus years, so then you add more.

When the wheel spins the Slime is evenly distributed in the wheel. Trust me, you'll never know it's in the tire. Many many of us use it. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/16/2017 at 9:36 AM, Marty Backe said:

The Mten3 is not tubeless. They are using a tubeless tire, but clearly it has a tube inside.

How did you confirm this. Did you actually take a look at the tube?

Anyways, I've gathered all the recommended tools for the operation:

 

2017-09-17 12.45.36.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

How did you confirm this. Did you actually take a look at the tube?

Anyways, I've gathered all the recommended tools for the operation:

 

2017-09-17 12.45.36.jpg

You can tell by the valve stem. In any case, when you go to insert the Slime you will deflate the tire first. At that point it should be very easy for you confirm the existence of the tube.

Good luck.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a thought on using "tubleless" slime in a tubed tire ...  If you used this in a tubed tire, you might gum up the spigot is what I'd heard, but it seems highly unlikely.   My guess is that it might be a problem for Presta valves and the high pressure (>90psi) that these sorts of tubes use.  But with a Schrader valve and ~40psi, the opening is big and the pressure low, so the valve would be fairly safe.   Correct me if you have experience (or have tried this yourself).

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

Just a thought on using "tubleless" slime in a tubed tire ...  If you used this in a tubed tire, you might gum up the spigot is what I'd heard, but it seems highly unlikely.   My guess is that it might be a problem for Presta valves and the high pressure (>90psi) that these sorts of tubes use.  But with a Schrader valve and ~40psi, the opening is big and the pressure low, so the valve would be fairly safe.   Correct me if you have experience (or have tried this yourself).

The slime website says not to use inner tube formula in a tubeless tire, but doesn't say not to use tubeless in a tubed tire, but they don't say why.

That's an interesting question,  maybe a mountain biker will chime in.

 

The inner tube formulation should not be used in a tubeless tire. Slime sealants are designed to treat tread area punctures only and should not be used to repair sidewall punctures, snake bites, rim spoke punctures or gashes from metal or glass.

Instruction Manual

Product Warranty

PART # DETAILS
10003 8oz
10003HT 8oz with hanger
10056 16oz
10056HT 16oz with hanger
10004 16oz
10162 1gal
SB-5G  

 

 

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the video, Marty!  I successfully slimed my KS-14b, but my MSuper V3s+,  to slime it would require a complete shell removal to make the valve accessible enough!  No matter what I do shy of that, it remains several degrees off from where I can access and remove/reinstall the valve core, even completely deflated and using a lever to force it away from the body/rim. Since I'm not exactly comfortable trying to remove the entire shell right now, and this is the wheel I will be using for long distance and high speed runs, this has me more than a little irritated.

Or am I in possession of one with an unusually bad valve placement, and nobody else has this issue for their V3s+? EDIT: I see at least Marty has slimed his...

I love the MSuper, but I just can't get over how stupidly the valve placement and shell placement was set up on this thing!  It's almost a miracle that I can even inflate the damned thing on mine.

Edited by Catlord17
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

Thanks for the video, Marty!  I successfully slimed my KS-14b, but my MSuper V3s+,  to slime it would require a complete shell removal to make the valve accessible enough!  No matter what I do shy of that, it remains several degrees off from where I can access and remove/reinstall the valve core, even completely deflated and using a lever to force it away from the body/rim. Since I'm not exactly comfortable trying to remove the entire shell right now, and this is the wheel I will be using for long distance and high speed runs, this has me more than a little irritated.

Or am I in possession of one with an unusually bad valve placement, and nobody else has this issue for their V3s+? EDIT: I see at least Marty has slimed his...

I love the MSuper, but I just can't get over how stupidly the valve placement and shell placement was set up on this thing!  It's almost a miracle that I can even inflate the damned thing on mine.

So the only problem you're having with the MSuper is removing the core, is that right? If you can put air in the tire then you can put Slime in the tire.

What are you using to remove the core? If you are using the Slime cap, that won't work. You need to get a core remover like the one I use in the video

Motion Pro 08-0183 Valve Core Remover

41UhFj-xMcL._SX466_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So the only problem you're having with the MSuper is removing the core, is that right? If you can put air in the tire then you can put Slime in the tire.

What are you using to remove the core? If you are using the Slime cap, that won't work. You need to get a core remover like the one I use in the video

Motion Pro 08-0183 Valve Core Remover

41UhFj-xMcL._SX466_.jpg

Aha, that looks like a very probable solution!  Thanks, Marty, that is much appreciated.  Yeah, the plastic cap worked for the KS-14b, but not the MSuper.  I shall take your advice and get that and try again.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Highly recommend this from personal experience getting a flat on my V10 from a staple on the road.  I guess I expected the Tire to be a little more durable.   Luckily for me I was close to home and was not going full speed when the flat occurred.   Unfortunately I received a little road rash on my hip but it could have been much worse.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
On 9/17/2017 at 1:29 PM, Marty Backe said:

You can tell by the valve stem. In any case, when you go to insert the Slime you will deflate the tire first. At that point it should be very easy for you confirm the existence of the tube.

Good luck.

Just bought slime today to put in my new wheel. now it comes as 2 in 1 tire and tube premium sealant so I guess I don’t have to guess which to use 🤣👍🏻

FA46616D-3E46-4BA0-9A5E-CAE434DF4DBC.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow a 5 year old thread by @Marty Backe gets revived :D

Fittingly, I had my first EUC puncture the other day. I didn't even know until my usual post-ride check though!

Found the tip of a thorn sticking out...hadn't lost any pressure though...so do you pull it out of leave it in..? It would always be on my mind, so I pulled it out. Huge thorn, and air pissed out straight away :(

Turned the wheel a little so hole was now at bottom, tiny bit of slime came out and sealed it in 1 second.

For the moment, I am going to leave as is and keep checking pressure. But potentially the slime has saved me a hell of a lot of grief in changing out the tube. And if the thorn had come out during riding with no slime it could have been a disaster as I was 35 miles from the car at one point.

Slime is an essential mod for EUC's IMO.

thorn2.thumb.jpg.eb758ecff81be87ffdd2c327a377520d.jpg

thorn1.thumb.jpg.9bab551b229dad4d03b14e0325077208.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...