KS14S Speed Throttling

Marty Backe

3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@Marty Backe which model is yours. i like the big screen.

See here

I bought this one, but Amazon isn't selling it anymore: http://a.co/29z6h3V

But this one should also work fine: http://a.co/hAqSB15

They all function the same, the styling is just different.

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I just returned from a test run using the new 1.05 firmware. It's a home run :thumbup:

All the way down to ~50% the max speed was ~18 - 19mph. I quit my run (time constraints) with the battery  at ~28% under load, and I was able to maintain ~17mph. I'm very happy with that. It's soooo nice not to be limited to 12mph on a wheel like this.

So I was able to enjoy a 3 hour ride at pretty much any speed I wanted (for a 14 inch wheel) with no incessant beeping or tilt-back. I had a blast of a ride. This is the wheel I was originally hoping for when I bought it from @Jason McNeil

The 14S is as close to a 10-out-of-10 wheel that I can imagine. Big thumbs up :D

How heavy is it Marty? Looks like my next wheel ?

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I just returned from a test run using the new 1.05 firmware. It's a home run :thumbup:

All the way down to ~50% the max speed was ~18 - 19mph. I quit my run (time constraints) with the battery  at ~28% under load, and I was able to maintain ~17mph. I'm very happy with that. It's soooo nice not to be limited to 12mph on a wheel like this.

So I was able to enjoy a 3 hour ride at pretty much any speed I wanted (for a 14 inch wheel) with no incessant beeping or tilt-back. I had a blast of a ride. This is the wheel I was originally hoping for when I bought it from @Jason McNeil

The 14S is as close to a 10-out-of-10 wheel that I can imagine. Big thumbs up :D

Perhaps on one of your next wheel meetings you can compare it side by side to your old KS14c....

I am a bit "wondering" that you didn't wrote something about one of the most improvements and difference the "S" series -in my view- has over the older wheels:

The rockhard pedal Setting over all Speed....or did just i recognize/feel like that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

How heavy is it Marty? Looks like my next wheel ?

I don't know the weight. Check the EWheels site - I think the weights are listed there. I highly recommend this wheel :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Perhaps on one of your next wheel meetings you can compare it side by side to your old KS14c....

I am a bit "wondering" that you didn't wrote something about one of the most improvements and difference the "S" series -in my view- has over the older wheels:

The rockhard pedal Setting over all Speed....or did just i recognize/feel like that?

My KS14C memory is still strong, so I don't think I need to have one side-by-side with the 'S' to compare them.

I'll be posting an actual review later, so I didn't cover all of my thoughts here. I did write some additional observations in this post: 

The two softer pedal settings are much harder than they were in the KS14C. If that's what you are referring to.

BTW, last night I rode the battery down to 1%. Impressive - the speed throttling is less than the 14C. At 20% I could ride at 24km/h, at 10% max speed was ~19km/h, and at 1% I could ride at ~15km/h. :thumbup:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

rode the battery down to 1%. Impressive - the speed throttling is less than the 14C. At 20% I could ride at 24km/h, at 10% max speed was ~19km/h, and at 1% I could ride at ~15km/h. :thumbup:

Nice!

Thats the way how the wheel should work!!

And btw: on the 16 and 18s there are also no problems, and the (little bit of)speed reducement makes totally sense...i really dont know why they messed up so much whith the 14d/s till 1.05....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Nice!

Thats the way how the wheel should work!!

And btw: on the 16 and 18s there are also no problems, and the (little bit of)speed reducement makes totally sense...i really dont know why they messed up so much whith the 14d/s till 1.05....

You can be sure that I'm not going to load any new firmware in my 14S. Even if they come out with 1.09, I'm not going to risk having them screw up my wheel :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Uploaded the new KS Beta App here. It's a big 44MB file (why does it need to be so large?). From a usability standard, not sure it's an improvement over the previous release, it's very similar to the Inmotion App, same basic layout. They've done the whole social network integration thing, with pictures being uploaded & pulled from some of the World's slowest Internet links in the PRC.

If you have a 14D/14S that needs the firmware update, then it will certainly come in handy. 
http://images.ewheels.com/KS_APP_v5.apk

Warning: there's a shutdown button from the main screen. For what possible situation this would be useful, I can't say, but if the Wheel is stationary & with a load (e.g. you're standing on it), the machine will shutoff from under you. With the limited time I've spent with it, there's a quite a few bugs & is prone to crashing. Use at your own risk.... 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjMjkzTWV3X1B3a2M

Edited by Jason McNeil
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Warning: there's a shutdown button from the main screen. For what possible scenario this would be useful, I can't say, but if the Wheel is stationary & with a load (e.g. you're standing on it), the machine will shutoff from under you. With the limited time I've spent with it, there's a quite a few bugs & is prone to crashing. Use at your own risk.... 

Like the power button button on the wheel does not Power OFF the wheel while driving....the shutdown will also not work while wheel is moving.

But you are right..it's a useless function....Can only imagine it to be useful if you want to Keep on playing Music, and only wanting to power off the wheel?! No clue...

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

But you are right..it's a useless function....Can only imagine it to be useful if you want to Keep on playing Music, and only wanting to power off the wheel?! No clue

Yeah, the Inmotions have that button and it seems useless, since Inmotion has no speakers, and it shuts off automatically when it goes beyond a certain angle and when going down on its side. You cant turn the machine on with it since you have to turn on the EUC before you can connect the app. The social media parts of the app are okay, but really just for beginners to get some interest and see a bunch of other riders of their machines. 

I only used it to set the pedal lean, change the light patters, and "turn forward correction" which I think corrects the wobbles it can get. Also has some contact information for support.

Haha, typical China. They copied the app, including the questionable/bad/nonsense features. If you asked them why the functionality exists, they probably wouldn't know what to say:D

(No offense to Chinese readers/members here, but... there's a common pattern)

@Jason McNeil Does the new app work without an internet connection?

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Haha, typical China. They copied the app, including the questionable/bad/nonsense features. If you asked them why the functionality exists, they probably wouldn't know what to say:D

(No offense to Chinese readers/members here, but... there's a common pattern)

@Jason McNeil Does the new app work without an internet connection?

The features that control and monitor the wheel work without an Internet connection.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/19/2017 at 11:19 AM, Marty Backe said:

Does Gotway MCM5 has Speed reduction (once battery under 50%)? If it does so, at what percent is tolerance. I have an iPS i5 that has speed reduction once under battery 50%. It's a joyful ride until battery under 50%, which works fine for me being a student, but not long rides to university.

The 38ibs weight is tolerable in circumstains 

Thank you Marty

1 hour ago, w80wl said:

Does Gotway MCM5 has Speed reduction (once battery under 50%)? If it does so, at what percent is tolerance. I have an iPS i5 that has speed reduction once under battery 50%. It's a joyful ride until battery under 50%, which works fine for me being a student, but not long rides to university.

The 38ibs weight is tolerable in circumstains 

Thank you Marty

I believe I answered your same question in the MCM5 thread, a couple of hours ago.